Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Remora posted:

I really wish Hyperspace had just printed 4-6 different colors of generic spaceship minis instead of insisting on every civ having bespoke minis. I would love to play that game, but I'm not paying $70-120 for an incomplete product, and I sure as hell am not dropping $300 on mostly spaceship minis.

:sigh:

Having looked at the project again, they've actually done that. All the pieces that are the same between civs are a set of 4 to 6 colors depending on version. Then each civ has unique minis for their citizens and unique ship type. They couldn't really avoid doing at least the unique ship type as bespoke minis if they wanted to do any of them as minis. I'd have preferred they not bother with minis at all, but since they have...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

it looks like all the civs have 2 different kinds of unique ships so tbqh they could've just made Civ-Specific Ship #1 and Civ-Specific Ship #2 and I might have been able to justify it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

Depends on what you consider "of note". Also for that matter, what you consider "made". I think Cthulhu Wars is their only fairly high-profile game that's actually released and hit tables, although they've also made something called Dicenstein, a card game called Theomachy, the Orcs Must Die boardgame, and the Cthulhu-themed worker placement game Evil High Priest shipped recently. They've also Kickstarted Glorantha: The Gods' War, a sort of evolution of Cthulhu Wars based on the other big IP that Chaosium used to hold, Planet Apocalypse, a coop defense game with a Hell-on-future-earth theme (a bit Doom, now that I think on it) and are currently Kickstarting Hyperspace, an asymmetric tabletop 4X that prompted the discussion. Most of these have a shitload of expensive minis, but not Evil High Priest and I assume not Dicenstein or Theomachy.

You forgot Startropolis.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

You forgot Startropolis.

TBH I hadn't even heard of Startropolis. Also I was misremembering and there are in fact about $100 worth of minis on offer for Evil High Priest, it's just the exception in that they were an addon that replaces the meeples you get in the box rather than an inextricable core part of the game that doubles the price.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think Minis are largely sunk cost. As in the molds and manufacturing line are hellishly expensive, but each individual mini is pretty cheap afterwards. So it makes sense why producers often require minis. Making simpler and cleaner components does not save much production costs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This is only tangentially a Kickstarter thing...but if you backed the Kickstarter for that Burning Wheel supplement book, check your email; BWHQ just announced a revised edition of Burning Wheel Gold with all errata fixed, a couple new tweaks, and what looks an awful lot like the super neat debossed cover the supplement book had.

Oh, and during preorder period, it's only $15.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Plus $35 or $50 in shipping for anyone outside the US.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

australia doesn't deserve top shelf burning wheel products

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

This is only tangentially a Kickstarter thing...but if you backed the Kickstarter for that Burning Wheel supplement book, check your email; BWHQ just announced a revised edition of Burning Wheel Gold with all errata fixed, a couple new tweaks, and what looks an awful lot like the super neat debossed cover the supplement book had.

Was this for the Codex? I haven't gotten anything. I'd be pretty tempted.

Oh, it's just up on the store. https://www.burningwheel.com/burning-wheel-gold-revised/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
thanks for this, thread. ordered immediately. I love BW

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Why, thread? Why did I order a replacement copy of Burning Wheel Gold for my original copy of Burning Wheel Gold which supplanted my original printing copy of Burning Wheel, none of which I have never read or played?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

atholbrose posted:

Why, thread? Why did I order a replacement copy of Burning Wheel Gold for my original copy of Burning Wheel Gold which supplanted my original printing copy of Burning Wheel, none of which I have never read or played?

Consumerism!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

atholbrose posted:

Same, sadly.

:smith::respek::smith:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Maybe now's a great time to read them.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, I buy way more games than I'll likely ever play, but I do at least read them.

That way it's a waste of both money and time. :v:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Someone on RPG.net was good enough to copy-paste the statement Demon City's publisher's put out about Zak S.:

quote:

Dear Backers,
I apologize for the delay providing an update or response to the recent disclosures by Mandy Morbid alleging abuse and sexual assault by Zak Smith, the author of Demon City.
Zak has announced he will release his own statement but it is my responsibility as the publisher of Demon City and owner of DIY RPG Productions to make a statement.
These allegations against Zak are disturbing and have weighed heavily on me and on my involvement with the project—along with what to do about a project that contains many freelancers and individuals in the middle of delivering this project to print.
I do not condone sexual violence, coercion, assault, or violence of any kind especially against women.
Transparently: the money has been spent in the process of delivering a book on the timeline established on the Kickstarter—Shawn has been hard at work on layout and the end was in sight before this news broke. It is a devastating disclosure and I can understand why people would want their name removed from any aspect of this book and will work to honor that. However, I cannot unpay freelancers or printers. The money is simply not there.
If any backers do not wish to accept their copy of Demon City, I will flag those books to be sold first and if/when they do, the entire amount of that purchase will go to one of two charities: The National Domestic Violence Hotline or Futures Without Violence.
In accordance to Kickstarter’s Terms of Use and rules, I am contractually and legally obligated to fulfill the project. I will continue to push Demon City forward and fulfill pledges as I, and my company, committed to do.
Refunds cannot be issued, as this project has moved quickly, and the funds have gone directly into the project’s full development. Thank you for your understanding in this regard and know that I fully realize the frustration and anger this situation has generated. I am attempting to do as right by people’s decisions as I can. If you have any further questions or concerns you can reach me directly at REDACTED.
Finally, I want to say thank you to everyone who has reached out and offered support, compassion, and understanding for myself and DIY RPG Productions through this.
Thank you,
Mike Evans

Translation: "oh gently caress, I supped with the devil and he's left me with the cheque".

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jivjov posted:

Well, except they've already had more preorders than they had allocated copies for, naively expecting no more than 500 books worth of interest over the month. And can't afford to do an entire print run at $15. So they've temporarily closed preorders and Luke is asking on the forums: keep them closed and say "so sorry, too slow" to anyone else or maybe put more up at $25 when they said it'd be $15?

I think I'm just gonna keep my current edition since I missed out.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

inklesspen posted:

Maybe now's a great time to read them.

Well, April will be a great time to read them, I guess.

Hmm. My current game -- I've been running Stonehell Dungeon in 5e for just about as long as that's been possible -- is coming to a close soon. Everyone wants to keep going with those characters, now 15th and 16th level, mostly because nobody in the group has ever done an actual 1-to-20 campaign. I'm trying to talk them into some palette-cleansing one-shots as a break, and the timing works out well. Burning Wheel and Over the Edge it is, then!

Well, I hope.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I threw some money at Wavelength which will hopefully arrive in time to be the family friendly party game for next Christmas. It seems like a fun enough idea and a game that can be set up almost immediately is a real benefit in those situations. I might consider getting Monikers thrown in too when that possibility comes up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

malkav11 posted:

put more up at $25 when they said it'd be $15?

This seems to be what happened.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

This seems to be what happened.

Only 500 more copies though, so if you're on the fence, better make up your mind quick.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

Only 500 more copies though, so if you're on the fence, better make up your mind quick.
Done. Sad I missed the first batch by an hour, but still.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lmao this is a very luke crane way for this to have gone.

if only there were some kind of..... paperless method of transmitting roleplaying game rules.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Has anyone else taken a look at this? I've been humming and hawwing over getting some kind of map like the Pathfinder Flip-mats, but this looks like it'd be absolutely amazing and cover most of my needs for a scenic map.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasmundi/immersive-battle-maps-for-tabletop-roleplaying-gam

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Arthil posted:

Has anyone else taken a look at this? I've been humming and hawwing over getting some kind of map like the Pathfinder Flip-mats, but this looks like it'd be absolutely amazing and cover most of my needs for a scenic map.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasmundi/immersive-battle-maps-for-tabletop-roleplaying-gam

The maps look nice but the book format is a stupid decision, they'd be far more practical as loose maps in a folder.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zark the Damned posted:

The maps look nice but the book format is a stupid decision, they'd be far more practical as loose maps in a folder.
Honest question, at the front and back of the book, how does it even lie flat?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

dwarf74 posted:

Honest question, at the front and back of the book, how does it even lie flat?

They address that about 1:40 into the pitch video. Some kind of design used in the photography industry.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it for sure, at least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Impermanent posted:

if only there were some kind of..... paperless method of transmitting roleplaying game rules.

If such a thing existed it would mean the ability to get errata for this game I own without having to shell out $75 (of which $50 is shipping), so it's a really good thing that Luke Crane is a prehistoric caveman.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lemon-Lime posted:

If such a thing existed it would mean the ability to get errata for this game I own without having to shell out $75 (of which $50 is shipping), so it's a really good thing that Luke Crane is a prehistoric caveman.

Yeah, it sounds like minor tweaks, so it'd be real nice to have an errata doc. I'm a big BW fan, but this doesn't sound like enough of a change from Gold for me to buy in. Especially since I haven't played Gold yet - last time I played was Revised.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Arthil posted:

They address that about 1:40 into the pitch video. Some kind of design used in the photography industry.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it for sure, at least.

Yeah, they added some pointless engineering to keep it in book form when separating the maps onto multiple sheets would be both a lot easier to do and more versatile for use (since you could have several sheets out next to each other).

I'm pretty sure the book thing is just a way they can increase the price and 'force' people into buying multiple copies if they want to use multiple maps at once, I can't think of why else they would deliberately reduce usability like that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, they added some pointless engineering to keep it in book form when separating the maps onto multiple sheets would be both a lot easier to do and more versatile for use (since you could have several sheets out next to each other).

I'm pretty sure the book thing is just a way they can increase the price and 'force' people into buying multiple copies if they want to use multiple maps at once, I can't think of why else they would deliberately reduce usability like that.
It's interesting, but still kind of a gimmick that would get old quick and then you'd rather just be using a pathfinder flip-mat. If you lay them out and store them layered on top of each other without refolding, they stay pretty flat and are relatively cheap. Also, you can buy them now instead of taking a risk/waiting for this to deliver.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Zark the Damned posted:

Having worked in publishing for x years, and spent time with printers discussing what you can and can't do and looking at that gif of the binding, these things will absolutely fall apart in a year of use. That whole 'only seen in high-end photography books' is both bullshit and ignores that gaming maps get used, not flipped through 1-2 times a year. There's a significant wear and tear issue on that style of binding.

Edit: That Risks and challenges section is complete bullshit and is just used for extra marketing

quote:

This is cliche, but the biggest risk with this Kickstarter is that you miss out and don't get this book while you can!

The numbers are very tight, for a 60-ish page book with atypical binding and 'double laminated' pages that will be available, shipped, in May.

The maps they've shown look like pretty low-res dunjinni type art assets, and you could go to https://www.cartographersguild.com and find better maps and then print them. I can get those printed in A3 in the UK with a 3 day delivery for about £1.8 per A3 print, so yes that's more money than this, but also custom and delivered straight away. Add in shipping and this is a minor saving, with the hassle of it being bound in a book that's going to fall apart.

There's virtually nothing on who they are, or anything they've done (in the kickstarter itself, but if you go digging you find some more) and gently caress all to say they will be able to do this and won't just vanish with the cash, especially as it looks as if he's setting up different companies for each kickstarter he's done. Which in and of itself isn't a red flag, but there's gently caress all information about this one other than the pictures.

Not a single social media post he's done has him wearing glasses, or has anything to do with D&D/gaming, yet here he is with glasses on, and sat in front of gaming stuff, despite not showing himself having anything to do with it beforehand. He even says at the end of the video 'so, let's open initiative' which is some kind of 'i am using buzzwords like a real gamer would' there.

other kickstarters he claims to have done

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fortsy/fortsy-the-worlds-bestest-inflatable-fort/description

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prototoys/build-or-boom-the-block-stacking-game-for-the-whol/description

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbiteer/dungeon-derby-a-real-time-push-your-luck-party-gam

PST fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 13, 2019

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, it sounds like minor tweaks, so it'd be real nice to have an errata doc. I'm a big BW fan, but this doesn't sound like enough of a change from Gold for me to buy in. Especially since I haven't played Gold yet - last time I played was Revised.

I would maybe have paid $15 for it for convenience, but $25, let alone the full regular price? Nah. I'll just live without the tweaks. Unless he does a digital errata thing, as you suggest - it's not like he's never done PDF anything for Burning Wheel, he just refuses to do the books that way for...reasons.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

This map book idea has been done before anyway, and spiral-bound at that.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

malkav11 posted:

I would maybe have paid $15 for it for convenience, but $25, let alone the full regular price? Nah. I'll just live without the tweaks. Unless he does a digital errata thing, as you suggest - it's not like he's never done PDF anything for Burning Wheel, he just refuses to do the books that way for...reasons.

Just to be pedantic: there have been PDF releases for Burning Wheel, including the 'Hub & Spokes' pdf and a couple of adventures.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

thefakenews posted:

Just to be pedantic: there have been PDF releases for Burning Wheel, including the 'Hub & Spokes' pdf and a couple of adventures.

Yes, that's what I was saying?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

malkav11 posted:

Yes, that's what I was saying?

So it is, I misread.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just saw a preview for Tiny Epic Tactics. Any thoughts on it or its creator before it hits Kickstarter?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just saw a preview for Tiny Epic Tactics. Any thoughts on it or its creator before it hits Kickstarter?

Looks aggressively bland from the pics I've seen. Takes the Ice Cool box in a box gimmick and turns it into a lovely version of Final Fantasy Tactics. They are really pumping these things out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

Looks aggressively bland from the pics I've seen. Takes the Ice Cool box in a box gimmick and turns it into a lovely version of Final Fantasy Tactics. They are really pumping these things out though.

They do one a year, don't they?