Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

xtal posted:

Easy there, all they did was work for the Liberals, they're not a post office employee or something

Is this like how fashy creeps defend that one lady with the nazi collaborator grandpa and say "working with" a group isn't the same thing as being part of that group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Not sure how I feel about Canada trying to speed run the Trump era of politics while they are still going through it when we are normally on a 4-6 year time delay.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, at least Bush was into his second term before we really gave Harper free rein

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

There are levels of working for liberals during a campaign and the spectrum of “is Gerry Butts” to “volunteer coordinator in Kelowna—Lake Country who jumped on board because they’re excited about electoral reform” is p wide.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's not suddenly okay to forget literally everything that the Liberals are about because they came up with one obvious lie that everyone knew they were going to go back on.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

It's not suddenly okay to forget literally everything that the Liberals are about because they came up with one obvious lie that everyone knew they were going to go back on.

Oh stop exaggerating. It was at least a dozen lies they went back on (like literally every promise made to help/empower our indigenous population :negative:).

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That one particular lie was the one that apparently justifies bunny working for them.

I dont think anybody believed that they'd give a poo poo about our indigenous population.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

Oh stop exaggerating. It was at least a dozen lies they went back on (like literally every promise made to help/empower our indigenous population :negative:).

Are we sure that someone didn't get a canoe rack?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
https://twitter.com/cselley/status/1095399770804244480

:hmmyes:

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

I knew a few people that went to be staffers on the hill and they were all exactly this kind of person.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Toalpaz posted:

So the part about UBI discussion that frustrates you is that they should be organizing to overthrow our political/economic system instead? How should people go about building up their team in places like Canadian cites as an alternative to things like fight for 15 fairness campaigns or talking about UBI Helsing?

UBI frustrates me because it obfuscates the problem. To take an example like housing, the basic issue here is not that people lack income but rather the fact that transforming housing from a shelter you live in to an asset that is purchased and sold in the expectation of capital gains has created perverse incentives that are inconsistent with basic human needs. I think that's true of a lot of our problems. Leaving the entire structure of wealth and privilege in the private economy intact while trying to fix the distribution of income just won't work because the problem is with the markets themselves. Simply put, not everything lends itself equally well to market distribution.

Organizing to "overthrow our political/economic system" is more of a long term aspiration than a concrete short term goal. I do think that the left needs to expand its intellectual horizon and think in bigger picture terms, but I also think politics needs to be rooted in the practical aspirations of your constituents. You can't just invent a utopian picture of the future and expect to convert people to your cause. You need to base your programme on the demands and needs that emerge from your historical moment. But you also need to do it in a way that helps make the systemic causes of their problems easier and not harder to understand, and that's the point where advocates of a basic income (often) fail.

I think that the focus of the left right now should be on organizing and building institutional strength. Honestly, just consistently gathering people together, having discussion or debate groups, coordinating over local issues, etc. would be a big step forward. I'd also say that groups like Acorn or various organizations fighting for tenant rights or higher wages are really worthwhile and if you have the time worth participating in.

As far as concrete goals I think just creating a member funded leftist organization would be pretty impressive assuming it could actually attract thousands or at least hundreds of members rather than just dozens. Perhaps trying to get a genuine radical elected to a city council seat would be a sufficiently ambitious but possible goal to aim for? Or trying to win some victories in workplace struggles, or at least garner visibility to some issue.

These are just vague ideas right now but I think the focus should be less on a specific policy and more on recruiting likeminded people, getting them organized, actually convincing people that it might be worth it to give actual money and time for a cause. I used to think this was best organized through or in concert with the NDP but I have to admit at this point I'm not so sure that makes any sense.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Laminar posted:

I knew a few people that went to be staffers on the hill and they were all exactly this kind of person.

It is mindblowing political malpractice what they have done to/with JWR. Like I am genuinely stupefied that they aren't even through their first term and already apparently the PMO has ossified into a moron echo chamber where not one single person has the political instincts of a loving turnip. It took Harper and Chretien two whole terms in office to get this amazingly tone deaf, but Gerald Butts is speedrunning it like he's raising money for charity.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Twitch plays: Parliamentary democracy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

It is mindblowing political malpractice what they have done to/with JWR. Like I am genuinely stupefied that they aren't even through their first term and already apparently the PMO has ossified into a moron echo chamber where not one single person has the political instincts of a loving turnip. It took Harper and Chretien two whole terms in office to get this amazingly tone deaf, but Gerald Butts is speedrunning it like he's raising money for charity.

I've found myself thinking more and more often of that time period we've collectively forgotten in-between Trudeau first becoming leader and the opening of the 2015 campaign.

The Liberals shot to first place after they picked Trudeau, but the more he was exposed to the public the less they seemed to like him. The Libs were so arrogant they tried to get away with voting for an unpopular bill while saying they opposed it on the logic that they'd change it themselves after they inevitable won office. That kind of behaviour is what put the NDP under Mulcair back in the lead right before the election.

Mulcair fumbled so badly that the Liberals got a second chance, and expectations of Trudeau had gotten pushed so low it became easy for him to outperform in people's minds. In retrospect his victory looks inevitable but if you go back and look at what people were saying in the spring and summer leading up to the election it was starting to look like Trudeau was a mistake.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Helsing posted:

I've found myself thinking more and more often of that time period we've collectively forgotten in-between Trudeau first becoming leader and the opening of the 2015 campaign.

The Liberals shot to first place after they picked Trudeau, but the more he was exposed to the public the less they seemed to like him. The Libs were so arrogant they tried to get away with voting for an unpopular bill while saying they opposed it on the logic that they'd change it themselves after they inevitable won office. That kind of behaviour is what put the NDP under Mulcair back in the lead right before the election.

Mulcair fumbled so badly that the Liberals got a second chance, and expectations of Trudeau had gotten pushed so low it became easy for him to outperform in people's minds. In retrospect his victory looks inevitable but if you go back and look at what people were saying in the spring and summer leading up to the election it was starting to look like Trudeau was a mistake.

100% this, it's a point my wife makes a lot- nobody thought this batch of Liberals would win, so you have an unusually young and stupid team being puppetmasterd by the usual band of Power Corp ethical monsters that actually run the LPC. They're omnishambles because nobody is really in charge, least of all the elected people actually dealing with the public anger and broken promises.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/janephilpott/status/1095472745175891969

This week has been great for Cabinet Kremlinology

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CPAC_TV/status/1095467993046310912

Almost a pitch perfect performance here. I feel his anguish when he says "why".

Too bad he couldn't control the smirk when he says "her responsibility", it gives the game away.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

just lmao that the Liberals will be brought down and replaced by the CPC by doing something the CPC would have also done

this country is so loving stupid sometimes

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

You are the worst CanPol poster and that says a lot coming from me.

Also, get help.

He's not going to be for long

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Congrats patonthebach at reclaiming your title.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

thank you for doing the needful

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Now accepting applicants for sadbrains in residence.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that Barrie turned out to be the centre of operations for a human trafficking operation:

https://www.sudbury.com/around-the-...-photos-1239534

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Now accepting applicants for sadbrains in residence.

Rime should be off his 30 day soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTw8_RJSjeY

gently caress every single one of these stupid motherfuckers.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 13, 2019

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

gently caress every single one of these stupid motherfuckers.

I hope all of them collapse, as there are plenty of restaurants paying decent wages and not crying about stat holidays who are more than happy to serve an increased market.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Dark One posted:

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that Barrie turned out to be the centre of operations for a human trafficking operation:

I preferred it when Barrie's claim to fame was a clandestine grow op in the old Molson plant.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Dark One posted:

quote:

Graham said all of the workers had entered Canada legally, but all had different stories.

Really says a lot about how our government views foreign workers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Remember that time we kinda sorta almost reformed the TFW program because a bank tried to use it to replace IT workers?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
RIP ChairMaster, we knew ye unfortunately much too well.

I was feeling negative about my job last night and earlier this morning but after reading this last parade of depressed nonsense, I actually feel a great deal better. Thank you, chronic depressives of CanPol!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

RIP ChairMaster, we knew ye unfortunately much too well.

I was feeling negative about my job last night and earlier this morning but after reading this last parade of depressed nonsense, I actually feel a great deal better. Thank you, chronic depressives of CanPol!

You’re welcome, we’re not good for anything else

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arivia posted:

You’re welcome, we’re not good for anything else

Don't say that, you are a good and valuable poster, unlike folks like ChairMaster who exclusively serve the very limited purpose of making everyone else feel better by comparison.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I imagine he made a high pitched screech when he found his ban.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
We just need to mention bunnyofdoom periodically for the next couple weeks to expose his re-reg when it inevitably happens.
Seriously bod if chairmaster got ahold of your dox I'd fear for your safety.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What is with this particular thread and pumping out some forums superstars? Rime, Chairmaster, CI...it's pretty impressive, actually.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

What is with this particular thread and pumping out some forums superstars? Rime, Chairmaster, CI...it's pretty impressive, actually.

It’s the Canada Council for Shitposting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

I wish they succeeded, you actively helped to gently caress over millions of people. You are a bad person and should feel bad and should be treated badly. Nobody should feel badly for you or regret that something bad happened to you as a result of something lovely you did.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adding another to the list of parting shots is pretty pointless but good loving riddance anyway CM, please get some help

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
CanCon rules require us to produce a certain number of both good and bad posters.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

vyelkin posted:

CanCon rules require us to produce a certain number of both good and bad posters.

Perfectly balanced as all things should be.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1095688849689210880?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MA-Horus posted:

Canada always punches (down) above its weight class.