Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well since we're handing out advice, here's some for you: don't be a douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

Fail to plan, plan to fail etc. etc. Don't wait until the night before the deadline to submit a letter to the board, for starters. More importantly - don't wait until you're 30-60 days out from a board to scrub your record. Do it every 30-60 days and never underestimate admin or Millington's ability to gently caress poo poo up. Sorry.

You forgot to :chiefsay: all of that.

Also a hearty lol to scrubbing your record 6 times a year.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

buttplug posted:

Fail to plan, plan to fail etc. etc.

This right here told me the rest of your post was loving worthless, dick.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

buttplug posted:

Fail to plan, plan to fail etc. etc.

:smug:

This like when household good spends 5 months to ship someone’s stuff and then your LPO loses your the third copy of the package you gave him and the COC is like “why didn’t you anticipate all of this, how dare you not spend every hour of your day making fallback plans for everyone else’s incompetence.”

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 12, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
gently caress you if you're still in or still deliver stupid navy paradigms

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://taskandpurpose.com/admiral-ship-collision

quote:

Navy Adm. Philip Davidson thinks recent ship collisions that left more than a dozen sailors dead were tragedies, but as he told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday, we should also remember that 280 other ships didn't collide and that's gotta be worth something.

Seriously. He actually loving said that.

"We can't forget one other thing," said Davidson in his testimony. "These two collisions were a tragedy, there's no doubt about it. And all of the senior leadership of the Navy feels an immense amount of accountability for that, I'll come back to it. But the fact of the matter is 280-odd other ships weren't having collisions."

With that, he took a breath, perhaps had a momentary thought of, hey should I continue with this? and then dove in headfirst: "More than a dozen of those other ships were performing exceptionally well."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Somewhere a Duffel Blog editor is cracking open a fresh bottle of whiskey.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Someone needs to EB green this fuckstick to a bulkhead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

No loving way.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What a clown.

Wait this isn't the idiots thread.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 13, 2019

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
What a fucktard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Huh. I wonder why the JAG in CDR Benson's case said that ADM Davidson wasn't acting in an impartial way. I mean, that video clearly shows that all the other 280 ships in the Navy were fine!

Caconym posted:

Neighter did the accident investigation board.

https://www.aibn.no/Marine/Investigations/18-968

Wanted to say thanks for posting this. I still need to read through more of it, but that is a major design flaw.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Undue influence causing a court martial to swing one way or the other? Why I never would have thunk it! :rolleyes:

The military justice system is hilarious and hosed up.

Example the grounding of the USS Guardian, where NGA supplied maps to the crew of the Guardian that were off by over 10 KM. The judges found that it was still the crew's fault because they should have simply had more lookouts. If you're moving at a decent clip, you're not going to be able to see a shallow if it does not have any protrusions above the surface, unless your quartermaster and lookouts are loving psychic.

For example being off by 10km on your map could put you well inside someone's territorial waters, which could get you loving shot by a foreign military if they think you're doing something you aren't supposed to be doing.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 13, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

The military justice system is hilarious and hosed up.

UCMJ Article 1 reads: "gently caress you if you're in"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2015/03/16/lawyers-navy-abused-ucmj-ship-exception/

Here's a great pre-crash example of how big Navy refused to address systemic issues and instead just sent a bunch of officers on a ship to admiral's mast and tried to prevent them from having a court martial. Sounds like the officers might be still hosed up but big Navy wanted to keep the poo poo from going uphill no matter how flimsy the legal argument for the sea duty exemption was.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

*adds Angus King to follow list*

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Admiral Davidson is a hoot if you care about the Navy and you like to feel smug watching him berate people for not being on top of their poo poo.

I understand the frustration at not acknowledging the position the Navy is in (not that he could actually acknowledge the Navy's issues without seriously risking his career), but I do remember thinking about how my ship was trying ***unique*** ( for the Navy ) BRM strategies and how they, if implemented the way we did, would not lead to situations like the two incidents that would come and dominate all of Wardroom training for next two years of my career. It's frustrating, because I think the things my crew were doing well (minimizing personnel to fewer, wholly responsible personnel, sending us to a seamanship school) were somehow minimised even as the Navy was adding contradictory requirements.

I think government organizations end up being defined by their failures; that's an tragic entry fee for democracy at our scale, and part of our frustrating job.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

orange juche posted:

This right here told me the rest of your post was loving worthless, dick.

PneumonicBook posted:

You forgot to :chiefsay: all of that.

Also a hearty lol to scrubbing your record 6 times a year.

Not trying to be a dick. If you want to make E-8, maybe don't wait until the night before a deadline to hope that you can send a missing eval in as a letter to the board? Sucks, but there it is.

And I don't mean agonize over your record 6 times a year. I mean log into BOL and glance at your poo poo every couple months and it will spare you from significant asspain in the long run. *Especially* when it comes to getting paper corrected. Once you PCS to a new command and enough people have rotated out of the admin shop at whatever command dicked you previously, you're hosed. Enjoy 6-9+ months at BCNR.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ded posted:

Someone needs to EB green this fuckstick to a bulkhead.

Guy was a TERRIBLE choice for INDOPACOM. He's an absolute loving relic, and is a perfect example of why the surface navy is so hosed up.

Swift should have been INDOPACOM.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

buttplug posted:

Swift should have been INDOPACOM.

Swift refused to acknowledge that his ships in 7th fleet were falling apart at the seams and just kept sending them on more and more missions. He sold Aucoin down the river so that he still had a shot.

He used data Aucoin GAVE HIM in a white paper to show what the 7th fleet ships were dealing with.

He had information that should have been used to allow 7th fleet ships time to fix themselves and train their crews, and he ignored it until my 7 sailors died. Then he allowed his friend to find out he'd been fired via Wall Street Journal when 10 more were killed because the sailors on the McCain didn't understand how to use the SCC.

Can't imagine why that happened. The BMC had a whopping <60 minutes learning how to use it himself!

Swift should have had his head roll too, and instead, they let him retire.

The McCain should never have happened. The CO does bear responsibility because he was the one that ordered the split helm and choose to not set Sea and Anchor an hour earlier-despite protests from other officers telling him that he needed to do it.
But that still doesn't change the fact that barely anyone knew how to use the fancy touch screen SCC. I've been on a ship with one of those. They make noise for EVERYTHING. Was that shut off? Did no one know what those sounds actually meant? No idea. But neither did the Antietam sailors apparently.

My CO bears responsibility too for not being on the bridge and for not realizing that certain individuals really had personality conflicts. I'm not denying that either.

Anyway, anyone got questions for boss man, CNO?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Valley Stared posted:

Is the poop deck really what I think it is?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’d ask if any changes for crew rest went beyond recommendations since the previous ones were ignored.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If everyone in the chain was pushing higher op tempo, who was supposed to be the one to stick out his neck and say “no I can’t handle any more. It’s not safe?”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Why does it takes more training to be allowed to conn a rust bucket freighter full of iron ore pellets than a billion dollar warship?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ron Jeremy posted:

If everyone in the chain was pushing higher op tempo, who was supposed to be the one to stick out his neck and say “no I can’t handle any more. It’s not safe?”

That was Aucoin, and it totally worked out well for him.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

Why does it takes more training to be allowed to conn a rust bucket freighter full of iron ore pellets than a billion dollar warship?

I wonder how much of that is the "up or out" career requirements. A civilian mariner can, I assume, spend years in the same position or at least the same level. In the Navy as soon as anyone gets competent at their job, it's time to move on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’d ask if any changes for crew rest went beyond recommendations since the previous ones were ignored.

Asking an admiral an obvious rhetorical question is a great way for him to pivot to talking about how things are actually good in fact.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I wonder how much of that is the "up or out" career requirements. A civilian mariner can, I assume, spend years in the same position or at least the same level. In the Navy as soon as anyone gets competent at their job, it's time to move on.

Could be; at the same time aircraft pilots spend how many years learning to drive planes?

We spend four years learning the basics of ship driving, then a bunch of continued education / self study to get higher level licenses.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Could be; at the same time aircraft pilots spend how many years learning to drive planes?

We spend four years learning the basics of ship driving, then a bunch of continued education / self study to get higher level licenses.

Probably about two to three years, based on what I was able to scrape together from some Google searches.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

(not that he could actually acknowledge the Navy's issues without seriously risking his career)

THEN gently caress HIM. PEOPLE HAVE DIED FOR THIS poo poo.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
After two visits from the SevNAV and now the CNO, I am not unconvinced that current leadership thinks that we just need to keep learning from Silicon Valley because they have all the right ideas.

It is also probably a bad sign when the entire auditorium gasps a little at the word "2017" even when the question that contained that word had nothing to do with the collisions. Question had to do with a report that came out in December 2017 and asked what the navy was doing to promote innovative thinkers and how we were thinking outside of just technical backgrounds.

Also, more ships! We just need more ships.

Absolutely no mention about the congressional testimony yesterday and what we're doing to train and maintain the current fleet.

He only answered 5 or 6 questions. He sounded legitimately upset about the above question, and yet somehow didn't seem to answer it at all despite rambling on about it for 10 minutes.

That was the impression I think most of us came away with: he spoke for a very long time, took some questions, gave unclear and unhelpful responses, and left.

I didn't go up to ask a question because I was trying to not grind my teeth, and that probably would have come through in my voice. I did have SpaceSDoorGunner's question written down, but given his reaction to legitimate questions, not sure that would have gone over very well.

And what Godholio said.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
TVS, I would chip in for your court martial private defense fund if you quoted Godholio at such an all-hands. Good on you for keeping your dignity, though.

Too bad the civilian leadership is obviously coasting and won't calibrate the dickweed admiralty.

Still unbelievable that FFG(X) is considering Freedom-class and Independence-class ships.

Makes a guy want to flee to Canada or France.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Swift refused to acknowledge that his ships in 7th fleet were falling apart at the seams and just kept sending them on more and more missions. He sold Aucoin down the river so that he still had a shot.

He used data Aucoin GAVE HIM in a white paper to show what the 7th fleet ships were dealing with.

He had information that should have been used to allow 7th fleet ships time to fix themselves and train their crews, and he ignored it until my 7 sailors died. Then he allowed his friend to find out he'd been fired via Wall Street Journal when 10 more were killed because the sailors on the McCain didn't understand how to use the SCC.

Can't imagine why that happened. The BMC had a whopping <60 minutes learning how to use it himself!

Swift should have had his head roll too, and instead, they let him retire.

The McCain should never have happened. The CO does bear responsibility because he was the one that ordered the split helm and choose to not set Sea and Anchor an hour earlier-despite protests from other officers telling him that he needed to do it.
But that still doesn't change the fact that barely anyone knew how to use the fancy touch screen SCC. I've been on a ship with one of those. They make noise for EVERYTHING. Was that shut off? Did no one know what those sounds actually meant? No idea. But neither did the Antietam sailors apparently.

My CO bears responsibility too for not being on the bridge and for not realizing that certain individuals really had personality conflicts. I'm not denying that either.

PACFLT is the force provider, it is not the operational/fleet commander. Full stop.

C7F actual is responsible for ascertaining the no-poo poo ground truth from CCSG5/CDS15/COMSUBGRU7 et al and funnelling it up to PACFLT as the force provider. It is his job to best understand proper disposition of forces under his auspices as well as their materiel/training status, and to be the strongest "no" when tasked by higher. He is the senior operational [naval] commander in theater.

I understand you've been through a lot and emotions still run high surrounding all of this, but you've got to understand that these relationships work differently than you think. It makes more sense once you've been on a 3* staff (or above), otherwise it's a bit murky.

And to qualify all of this, I've been a DIVO on a FDNF DDG in 7th Fleet. It sucks, it's hard, it's long days and a ton of underway time. You never get enough sleep, nobody ever gets enough training, the ships are never correctly manned, there are always pervasive material issues and poo poo is constantly broken because you're never in port long enough to get stuff repaired. Trust me, I get it, it was unfortunately only a matter of time before something like this happened and anyone who has been on a CRUDES forward deployed out there will tell you the same.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

After two visits from the SevNAV and now the CNO, I am not unconvinced that current leadership thinks that we just need to keep learning from Silicon Valley because they have all the right ideas.

It is also probably a bad sign when the entire auditorium gasps a little at the word "2017" even when the question that contained that word had nothing to do with the collisions. Question had to do with a report that came out in December 2017 and asked what the navy was doing to promote innovative thinkers and how we were thinking outside of just technical backgrounds.

He only answered 5 or 6 questions. He sounded legitimately upset about the above question, and yet somehow didn't seem to answer it at all despite rambling on about it for 10 minutes. That was the impression I think most of us came away with: he spoke for a very long time, took some questions, gave unclear and unhelpful responses, and left.

That's more or less the current CNO in a nutshell. SECDEF has zero military background, SECNAV was in for 5 minutes, and this CNO is heading for retirement this year.

Also, the relationships being fostered in Silicon Valley aren't going to directly benefit the fleet today in ways most Sailors will see or understand, but there is a lot of work happening that will make things significantly easier behind the scenes, or on the cyber defense/acquisitions/supply chain management standpoint.

Lastly, the current generation of senior military leadership aren't great strategic thinkers because they've never had to be. The Vietnam crowd has all since retired and aside from Iraq/Afghanistan, we haven't had a major conflict in decades. The guys who really ran OEF/OIF effectively were SOF-types due to the nature of both of those conflicts.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 14, 2019

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

buttplug posted:

Also, the relationships being fostered in Silicon Valley aren't going to directly benefit the fleet today in ways most Sailors will see or understand, but there is a lot of work happening that will make things significantly easier behind the scenes, or on the cyber defense/acquisitions/supply chain management standpoint.

I'm prior enlisted and now doing grad work in computer architecture. Connect the dots for me?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

buttplug posted:

there is a lot of work happening that will make things significantly easier behind the scenes, or on the cyber defense/acquisitions/supply chain management standpoint.

source your quotes

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Also, more ships! We just need more ships.

Absolutely no mention about the congressional testimony yesterday and what we're doing to train and maintain the current fleet.

He only answered 5 or 6 questions. He sounded legitimately upset about the above question, and yet somehow didn't seem to answer it at all despite rambling on about it for 10 minutes.

That was the impression I think most of us came away with: he spoke for a very long time, took some questions, gave unclear and unhelpful responses, and left.

I didn't go up to ask a question because I was trying to not grind my teeth, and that probably would have come through in my voice. I did have SpaceSDoorGunner's question written down, but given his reaction to legitimate questions, not sure that would have gone over very well.

And what Godholio said.

Navy. Navy never changes.

Unless 100+ sailors die in a single incident .

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dorstein posted:

TVS, I would chip in for your court martial private defense fund if you quoted Godholio at such an all-hands. Good on you for keeping your dignity, though.

Too bad the civilian leadership is obviously coasting and won't calibrate the dickweed admiralty.

Still unbelievable that FFG(X) is considering Freedom-class and Independence-class ships.

Makes a guy want to flee to Canada or France.

Civilian leadership has a problem unfucking military leadership as very few have served and any criticism by the others is seen as being ungrateful to the troops &c &c...

Until civilian leadership wants to hold military leadership accountable at a high level, I would not be optimistic about change as there is every incentive (protect career at all costs) not to and no corresponding feedback loop causing behavior correction. That wont happen unless this country starts to accept civilian criticism of the military.

Shits broken.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Dorstein posted:

I'm prior enlisted and now doing grad work in computer architecture. Connect the dots for me?

M_Gargantua posted:

source your quotes

The source is me. I'm currently working in Silicon Valley as part of a SECNAV fellowship. We have folks all over the place working on projects and actively tackling the specific problems I just mentioned: completely revamping how the Navy does cyber defense afloat and ashore, streamlining the over DoD acquisition process (this is more of a DIU mission, but there are quite a few senior folks taking notes on specific nuggets of bureacracy that needs to be slowly dissolved over the next several years). Some of this stuff is heavily aligned with my background, but a lot of it was new territory for me.

Up to this point, I've have been working to help bring in major project managers from SPAWAR, NAVSEA, SOF cool-guys, NNWC, NCDOC, hopefully IFOR soon, as well as foster existing IC relationships in place at my particular company to not only better communicate and understand requirements but to simply cut through the bullshit, explain to these cats exactly what my company (and others in the area) can do to make their lives easier, and then implement.

It also helps that there exists significant double-thumbs-up-finger-guns support from the 3 and 4-star levels on some of these initiatives. Worked tied in directly with my last two jobs, and ties in nicely with my next gig too.

Previous CNO and SECNAV were all about this poo poo. Current CNO is "meh" at best but he's on his way out and current SECNAV was onboard and supportive once his staff got him up to speed. The hardest part of doing this kind of "break the mold" poo poo is hoping the next CNO/SECNAV/SECDEF are onboard with these initiatives, otherwise they die painful deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ded posted:

Navy. Navy never changes.

Unless 100+ sailors die in a single incident .

It absolutely does. The only problem is that significant change in a bureaucracy as large as the DoD (or Navy) takes an entire generation.