Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

For those (Probably few) wondering why the UA for the Artificer is not out yet, despite its original planned Drop Date being yesterday, the reason is snow.

Yeah its a pretty safe bet they got some higher priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

My DM has us roll for HP, and simultaneously rolls his own, and lets us choose from our known roll vs his hidden roll resulting in a pseudo-advantage roll. I've had 1 fighter level with a d10 roll and 4 subsequent rogue d8 rolls, and whenever I've rolled a 4 or lower, I've taken the DM roll and I've been lucky in that all of them have been above average and I have a max hp of 55 at level 6.

koreban posted:

Talk to the DM. When a character levels, roll for HP. If the roll is more than the average, take the roll. If not, take the average.

I've been slowly compiling some house-rules and common fixes for 5e, and for rolling HP I've basically settled on "either take the average, or roll with advantage."

The interesting thing about this is statistically, with any HD you use, rolling with advantage results in the book-stated average (or higher) 75% of the time.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

lightrook posted:

Hexblade is a nice one-level dip if you want to beef up your bard for melee combat; medium armor and shield proficiency does a lot for your AC, and Hex Warrior usually adds some weight to your hits, on top of picking up the Blade cantrips for extra melee oomph.

The other dip choice for getting some extra melee power is paladin; you also gain medium armor and shield proficiency (but not heavy - you have to start in paladin for that), and the second gets you Smites, which is the main appeal. The other nice part is that paladins are half-casters so you only lose one caster level for your two level dip.

Is Hexblade1/Paladin6 a worthwhile dip to make?

I wonder, since Divine Smite keys off of melee weapon attacks, and Aura of Protection keys off of CHA; if you can use CHA for both of those things, it seems like there's the potential for synergy. It'd also help to stick any smite spells you use, since being CHA-primary means you have a higher paladin spell save DC. OTOH you'd be having to put at least a 13 in STR, any which way.

Would you want to go whole-hog and get Pact of the Blade in the mix? Or does that basically only matter if you're going for Polearm Master?

On a related topic, when multiclassing Paladin, do people typically start with Paladin (for the heavy armor) or go Sorcerer first (for the CON save prof, since smite spells all take concentration)? Is there any merit to starting as a Fighter, and getting both benefits?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

P.d0t posted:

Is Hexblade1/Paladin6 a worthwhile dip to make?

I wonder, since Divine Smite keys off of melee weapon attacks, and Aura of Protection keys off of CHA; if you can use CHA for both of those things, it seems like there's the potential for synergy. It'd also help to stick any smite spells you use, since being CHA-primary means you have a higher paladin spell save DC. OTOH you'd be having to put at least a 13 in STR, any which way.

Would you want to go whole-hog and get Pact of the Blade in the mix? Or does that basically only matter if you're going for Polearm Master?

On a related topic, when multiclassing Paladin, do people typically start with Paladin (for the heavy armor) or go Sorcerer first (for the CON save prof, since smite spells all take concentration)? Is there any merit to starting as a Fighter, and getting both benefits?

Hexadin is very strong. You take only 1 level of Hexblade, 2 if you're feeling adventurous, but 3 just isn't worthwhile considering how good the Paladin progression is all the way to 13th. Remember you can use Polearm Master with 1h weapons.

For Sorcadin you start Paladin unless you rolled for stats and got an impressive array - Going DEX requires you to meet the 13 STR requirement still, and going STR without Heavy Armor means meeting DEX 14 for AC. Fighter 1/Sorc X is a viable multiclass but no point in taking Fighter levels if you're going Paladin.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I do every game because I know how to operate around relatively low hp.

But I've been ratfucked pretty royally by this NGL.

Also please don't pull the sever bullshit. It's not helpful and even though I know it's intended in a light heated manner it's more likely to elicit a response in defense of my friends rather than find a solution under the distressing I have.
FYI i got a cool campaign marginally ruined for me once with my melee Figther with shittier HP than our rolling 4 all the time Wizard in ADD and i learned that if the version of the game allow you to take average, you should ALWAYS take average unless you are 100% sure your gm/group is cool with your rerolling later. Also it's a good time to become a ranged rogue.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

For Sorcadin you start Paladin unless you rolled for stats and got an impressive array - Going DEX requires you to meet the 13 STR requirement still, and going STR without Heavy Armor means meeting DEX 14 for AC. Fighter 1/Sorc X is a viable multiclass but no point in taking Fighter levels if you're going Paladin.

So the CON save prof isn't much of a priority, I take it.
I can see the point of going Fighter1/SorcX just for the armor profs, but I'm not sure why you'd take that over Paladin2/Sorc[X-1]

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The "start a new character" advice for the low hp assassin makes me want to say something caustic about the "save game" generation of RPGs. If you're hating playing the character, fine, but someone asking for tips on survival presumably wants to keep playing this character.

Four suggestions and tactical approaches:
1. Pre-combat triage with the rest of the party. You know you're a glass cannon, and so do they, so develop approaches around it. Having a tough melee character concentrate on getting "sticky" (Sentinal at L4, for instance) helps; a bonus action heal reserved to bumping you to positive hp when you drop is vital. You could be viable at range but that isn't a great opener: if someone wants to push initiative and engage before you go in the first round, that's helpful.
2. Hit & run tactics. As a rogue, you can step up, attack, bonus action to disengage and move away. You'll need to boost speed for that. Taking Mobile at L4 is viable, as you can engage a single foe and then bonus action to dash away. Getting enemies to attack someone else is key when at low hp.
3. Push AC. It's good advice anyway, but if one hit knocks you below zero you need to not get hit. Investing in other defenses if you can will help. You could dip one level to get shield proficiency for +2 AC; dipping fighter gets you second wind and an extra AC with Defense style, as well as a shot at a d10 roll for hp. Grabbing another level for action surge in the surprise round is tempting, too.
4. Boost hp. The low-hanging fruit in this direction has been covered. But if your GM is old-school, I'd expect meta-game solutions to be less effective than in-game ones. Do a quest for better endurance. Talk to your GM about in-game options and possibilities, which could range from an alchemist who needs you to gather ingredients for a potion that will let you get a reroll, to Con boosting tatoos, to a deal with a shady tiefling that ends up with you swapping bodies with someone else. There's some great story opportunities in having a PC with a glass jaw try to correct that situation, and that's more fun than giving up on a character because some of the numbers on your sheet aren't as big as they could be.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Thinking about picking up and running Dragon Heist. Anyone have any opinions they'd like to share about it? Or even just a sort of summary of how it plays?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CubeTheory posted:

Thinking about picking up and running Dragon Heist. Anyone have any opinions they'd like to share about it? Or even just a sort of summary of how it plays?

There's no heist, 2/10.

Trollskull Manor is cool, though?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One thing that really surprised me with my new group who had only played 1st edition before was how there was zero interest in rolling HP. I expected them to have a bit of a “it’s not real D&D if you don’t roll” grog mentality but as soon as I mentioned the option to take half plus one all four of them sprung for that immediately and one even called having the option to roll a “trap for idiots”.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Narsham posted:

The "start a new character" advice for the low hp assassin makes me want to say something caustic about the "save game" generation of RPGs. If you're hating playing the character, fine, but someone asking for tips on survival presumably wants to keep playing this character.

Four suggestions and tactical approaches:
1. Pre-combat triage with the rest of the party. You know you're a glass cannon, and so do they, so develop approaches around it. Having a tough melee character concentrate on getting "sticky" (Sentinal at L4, for instance) helps; a bonus action heal reserved to bumping you to positive hp when you drop is vital. You could be viable at range but that isn't a great opener: if someone wants to push initiative and engage before you go in the first round, that's helpful.
2. Hit & run tactics. As a rogue, you can step up, attack, bonus action to disengage and move away. You'll need to boost speed for that. Taking Mobile at L4 is viable, as you can engage a single foe and then bonus action to dash away. Getting enemies to attack someone else is key when at low hp.
3. Push AC. It's good advice anyway, but if one hit knocks you below zero you need to not get hit. Investing in other defenses if you can will help. You could dip one level to get shield proficiency for +2 AC; dipping fighter gets you second wind and an extra AC with Defense style, as well as a shot at a d10 roll for hp. Grabbing another level for action surge in the surprise round is tempting, too.
4. Boost hp. The low-hanging fruit in this direction has been covered. But if your GM is old-school, I'd expect meta-game solutions to be less effective than in-game ones. Do a quest for better endurance. Talk to your GM about in-game options and possibilities, which could range from an alchemist who needs you to gather ingredients for a potion that will let you get a reroll, to Con boosting tatoos, to a deal with a shady tiefling that ends up with you swapping bodies with someone else. There's some great story opportunities in having a PC with a glass jaw try to correct that situation, and that's more fun than giving up on a character because some of the numbers on your sheet aren't as big as they could be.
5. Go Arcane Trickster and pick up defensive spells. Shield at level 1 will go a long way if you're already making efforts to avoid being hit and raise your AC.
6. Cunning Action - Hide. Find a way to stay near cover and hide as often as possible. It's easy to get Stealth much higher than enemy perception scores.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Reveilled posted:

One thing that really surprised me with my new group who had only played 1st edition before was how there was zero interest in rolling HP. I expected them to have a bit of a “it’s not real D&D if you don’t roll” grog mentality but as soon as I mentioned the option to take half plus one all four of them sprung for that immediately and one even called having the option to roll a “trap for idiots”.

Your new group is good at math.

Dice and I have never really gotten along though, so any opportunity to cut out randomness and get a guaranteed moderate result, I'll take it in a heartbeat. My friends still talk about the time my character flew his Veritech into the side of a mountain while playing Robotech by failing 3 piloting rolls in a row by rolling 100 three times in a row.

DM: Ok, make a piloting roll to see if you can pull off the maneuver.
Me: (with a 98% piloting skill) Ok, let's see. Oh, I fail, double ought.
DM: Ok, well you are a talented enough pilot to get a second chance to recover, make a second attempt at -20%
Me: Hmm... yea... double ought.
DM: Alright, the controls are completely unresponsive, make a piloting skill check to bail out in time.
Me: Ok. Come on dice! Yep... failed. I think my dice are broken they are only rolling 100s.
DM: Well, start on your new character and we'll get you added back in as soon as we can :P

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Kaysette posted:

There's no heist, 2/10.

Trollskull Manor is cool, though?

I'm running it for a group now and yeah as originally written it has a lot of plot holes and a distinct lack of heists despite nicely laying out some great villain lairs and doing a good job of fleshing out Waterdeep as a location. With a little renovation work I think its going to come together well. Know that going in if you are considering buying it / running it though, I wouldn't recommend it if you just want to stick to the script so to speak.

My group just started Chapter 2 and is really loving owning their own tavern / homebase. There's some good DMG content people have written like Durnan's Guide to Tavern Keeping and Waterdeep Encounters to flesh out this part of the campaign as well that I'm using.

Justin Alexander is writing a remix for it on his blog The Alexandrian built around tweaking the plot to actually tie all the villains into the events and give a reason to have the party planning and executing multiple heists. I'm stealing a lot of those ideas for my campaign and have started planting seeds already.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

P.d0t posted:

I've been slowly compiling some house-rules and common fixes for 5e, and for rolling HP I've basically settled on "either take the average, or roll with advantage."

The interesting thing about this is statistically, with any HD you use, rolling with advantage results in the book-stated average (or higher) 75% of the time.

The downward skew is the issue, though. D&D is 99% of the time a power fantasy for the players. You can still roll under the average with advantage 5 out of 20 levels of progression. Sure, the other 5 you’ll skew high, but psychologically you’ll feel the low skews harder than the high ones.

Plus the damage scaling of 5e is abominable.

Unless you’re playing hardcore/hardmode rules, your players should never get less than the average.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
While I like the idea of rolling against a character's previous HP total in order to keep HP gains normalised, I overall have very mixed feelings about how HP per level should be done. Mind you, I come from a heavy 2nd edition background where rolling was a temporary state of affairs, so take that as you will.

I will again repeat my strong suggestion of adding a character's base Con score to max HP at creation. I've said it before, as have others, but with all of the HP talk I've been thinking about it and trying to remember why and how we did it back in the 2ed days and I think that I remember now. Back in 2nd edition, there was the concept of 0-level characters. These were essentially people of the humanoid races who didn't have class levels, but they still have HP of course. Keep in mind that 2nd also had gains and losses in certain stats as people aged, with mental stats increasing and physical ones dropping. Thing is, something like a regular, healthy man of about 30 would have 1d8 hit points while a level 1 fighter would have 1d10 and, given how stat bonuses worked in 2nd edition, that fighter probably has no con bonus. Going on the idea of reflecting Con as general health, we came up with the idea that HP at level 0 was your Con score, and it made a lot of sense given 2nd edition rules such as ageing and the fact that anyone whose Con hit 0, temporarily or permanently, was dead. So, a level 1 cleric with 10 con would start with 10 HP just for being a person, and then have somewhere between 1 and 8 additional HP for that cleric level. This made player characters feel a bit more special and made low-level combat far less lethal. I know that some people like that, but they can all go piss up a rope with their head tilted back. Apart from 4th edition who essentially did that very thing, I recommend this "house rule" for any D&D edition from the very first to 5th.

As for HP per level, we tried and discussed a number of things as our games were very democratic. Some examples were keeping the better of 2 die, the NWN system of making sure that nobody had less than the midpoint per level, giving everyone a set number of HP based on class and so on. If I had to choose, I'm kind of fond of a set value of some sort, whether it be average or max per level, as it gives a consistent point for building the difficulty of encounters. Admittedly, this is muddled somewhat by the fact that not everyone levels at the same rate in 2nd edition.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Yes! The DM's girlfriend is the hostess and she was the instigator on getting me that dice bag while she got her own bag with kitties on it. We have a never ending platter of sliced sausages and cheeses and triscuits in the center of the table as well as your typical vegetable platters with ranch dips. We also have some pretty skilled cooks in the crowd as the druid brings his homemade beef jerky and I bring hand-held items as follows:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/curried-jamaican-beef-patties-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/the-food-lab-southern-fried-chicken-recipe.html ... but turned into chicken fingers by slicing strips of chicken breast instead of whole pieces.

Glad you're eating well; I personally just really like Triscuits and Wheat Thins, especially Ranch in this latter case.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I know for a fact that this Stranger Things Starter Set that got announced today is going to get at least a half-dozen of my friends into the game on top of the campaign I'm running with 4 first-timers currently.

It looks like it could be fun, but even if it isn't, I'll get a set of dice and two Demogorgon minis out of it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still working on the support-ish Divine Soul I mentioned before. Things are mostly ready to start, but I wanted to ask a couple questions still.

First, is this a good level one stat array? Character is a Scourge Aasimar, hence those bonuses:

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14 (13+1)
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 16 (14+2)

I was thinking that 16 Charisma is as 17 here, since I get the same modifier and can still hit 20 at level 8, and thus have 2 extra points to put into a different stat, but I figured I could ask to see if there's something I'm overlooking.

Second, since I saw mention of Inspiring Leader recently, I'm curious what feats might be good for such a character. So far, Inspiring Leader, Lucky, Resilient, and War Caster are all on my radar, but I'm not sure if there are other/better options, or if I should just increase my DEX/CON instead. I'm interested in more experienced takes on this.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Still working on the support-ish Divine Soul I mentioned before. Things are mostly ready to start, but I wanted to ask a couple questions still.

First, is this a good level one stat array? Character is a Scourge Aasimar, hence those bonuses:

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14 (13+1)
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 16 (14+2)

I was thinking that 16 Charisma is as 17 here, since I get the same modifier and can still hit 20 at level 8, and thus have 2 extra points to put into a different stat, but I figured I could ask to see if there's something I'm overlooking.

Second, since I saw mention of Inspiring Leader recently, I'm curious what feats might be good for such a character. So far, Inspiring Leader, Lucky, Resilient, and War Caster are all on my radar, but I'm not sure if there are other/better options, or if I should just increase my DEX/CON instead. I'm interested in more experienced takes on this.

That array is pretty good. If you're playing by rules as written, you'll want to focus on stat increases over feats. Resilient(wis) is really good. War Caster is going to be situational. You already have proficiency on Con saves due to Sorcerer. If you're using a ton of concentration spells, and also taking regular damage, it could be worth it, but again, you're served just as well or better by increasing the stats first. Inspiring Leader and Lucky are great if your DM is giving out feats beyond just ASI points, but if not, those will be late game additions, if at all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

koreban posted:

That array is pretty good. If you're playing by rules as written, you'll want to focus on stat increases over feats. Resilient(wis) is really good. War Caster is going to be situational. You already have proficiency on Con saves due to Sorcerer. If you're using a ton of concentration spells, and also taking regular damage, it could be worth it, but again, you're served just as well or better by increasing the stats first. Inspiring Leader and Lucky are great if your DM is giving out feats beyond just ASI points, but if not, those will be late game additions, if at all.

Thanks for the advice. And the reminder War Caster actually; I had realized some of that about it before but since forgot, and when I tried to make a list of feats to look into now I felt like I had been down on it for some reason but couldn't remember why so I included it anyway.

I'm a bit confused by what you're saying about the GM giving out feats and rules as written, though. Is there something I'm missing/not familiar with, maybe?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Roland Jones posted:

Thanks for the advice. And the reminder War Caster actually; I had realized some of that about it before but since forgot, and when I tried to make a list of feats to look into now I felt like I had been down on it for some reason but couldn't remember why so I included it anyway.

I'm a bit confused by what you're saying about the GM giving out feats and rules as written, though. Is there something I'm missing/not familiar with, maybe?

A common houserule I've heard is to give players a feat AND an ASI when specified, instead of one or the other, but that's strictly a houserule and not even part of the "suggested" houserules like flanking rules. It's popular because feats were a big part of character building in the last two editions, but now they've technically been demoted to an "optional houserule" to replace ASIs, so getting both is a nice way to give characters both vertical and lateral power, instead of having to pick one or the other.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roland Jones posted:

There are additional ways to reward characters with Feats mentioned in the DMG, although I find them to be rarely used.

In general, my feat breakdown is:

Build-defining or otherwise build-mandatory feats:
  • Dual Wielder
  • Great Weapon Master
  • Healer
  • Mounted Combatant
  • Ritual Caster
  • Spell Sniper
  • War Caster
  • Crossbow Expert
  • Polearm Master
  • Elven Accuracy
  • Revenant Blade
  • Greater Dragonmark

Cool feats if you've got the space:
  • Alert
  • Inspiring Leader
  • Lucky
  • Magic Initiate
  • Mobile
  • Observant
  • Resilient
  • Sentinel
  • Sharpshooter
  • Skulker
  • Tough
  • Shield Master
  • Dragon Fear
  • Fade Away
  • Orcish Fury
  • Prodigy
  • Second Chance
  • Squat Nimbleness
  • Svirfneblin Magic
  • Wood Elf Magic
  • Aberrant Dragonmark

Usually garbo:
  • Actor
  • Athlete
  • Charger
  • Defensive Duelist
  • Dungeon Delver
  • Durable
  • Elemental Adept
  • Grappler
  • Keen Mind
  • Linguist
  • Mage Slayer
  • Martial Adept
  • Savage Attacker
  • Skilled
  • Tavern Brawler
  • Weapon Master
  • Lightly Armored
  • Moderately Armored
  • Medium Armor Master
  • Heavily Armored
  • Heavy Armor Master
  • Bountiful Luck
  • Dragon Hide
  • Drow High Magic
  • Dwarven Fortitude
  • Fey Teleportation
  • Flames of Phlegethos
  • Infernal Constitution

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lightrook posted:

A common houserule I've heard is to give players a feat AND an ASI when specified, instead of one or the other, but that's strictly a houserule and not even part of the "suggested" houserules like flanking rules. It's popular because feats were a big part of character building in the last two editions, but now they've technically been demoted to an "optional houserule" to replace ASIs, so getting both is a nice way to give characters both vertical and lateral power, instead of having to pick one or the other.

Alright, thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure. Thanks. I'll run this by the GM; given how free she's been with bonuses and stuff, even unasked (discussing my proposed character's backstory and asking for suggestions on what's most appropriate regarding this or that and such with her has resulted in her giving me some extra stuff completely unprompted, catching me by surprise), I think she might like that idea.

Though, question about doing things that way, do you still get the attribute increase some feats give as well if you take one of those, or do you ignore that bit because you're already getting a normal stat boost?

Toshimo posted:

There are additional ways to reward characters with Feats mentioned in the DMG, although I find them to be rarely used.

In general, my feat breakdown is:

Thank you for the help.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure. Thanks. I'll run this by the GM; given how free she's been with bonuses and stuff, even unasked (discussing my proposed character's backstory and asking for suggestions on what's most appropriate regarding this or that and such with her has resulted in her giving me some extra stuff completely unprompted, catching me by surprise), I think she might like that idea.

Though, question about doing things that way, do you still get the attribute increase some feats give as well if you take one of those, or do you ignore that bit because you're already getting a normal stat boost?

I don't run the houserule myself, but I'd say that given that feats are in principle meant to be equivalent to ASIs, the ones which have half an ASI are essentially also only half feats, so I'd give players the attribute increase from the feat too because otherwise someone is getting two ASI/Feats and another player is getting one and a half.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Roland Jones posted:

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14 (13+1)
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 16 (14+2)

1. I'd put STR 10 in so you can hop over 10ft gaps, but other than that it's okay. However, Scourge Aasimar means you won't be able to activate your racial without constantly rolling Concentration saves. If I was optimizing I'd go Protector Aasimar with 10 14 15 8 9 17 or 10 14 14 8 13 16; the odd Wisdom point is annoying, but once-per-day flight with no concentration (and plus other bonuses) is a powerful ability.
2. At 12, either War Caster or Inspiring Leader or Lucky. Resilient works too if it's Resilient (Wisdom) on an odd WIS score, like my examples above. If/once you get to 12 you should have a decent idea of what would help you most in your campaign.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

If Halfling Luck is so great, how is Bountiful Luck garbage? It allows you to extend your racial Luck to the whole party.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

If Halfling Luck is so great, how is Bountiful Luck garbage? It allows you to extend your racial Luck to the whole party.

Its an opportunity cost thing. Its not that the ability itself is garbage (though its not good as you trade reaction to hand it off), its that its competing against far far more useful things that massively shift how a class plays or improves fundamental core features of a class.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conspiratiorist posted:

1. I'd put STR 10 in so you can hop over 10ft gaps, but other than that it's okay. However, Scourge Aasimar means you won't be able to activate your racial without constantly rolling Concentration saves. If I was optimizing I'd go Protector Aasimar with 10 14 15 8 9 17 or 10 14 14 8 13 16; the odd Wisdom point is annoying, but once-per-day flight with no concentration (and plus other bonuses) is a powerful ability.
2. At 12, either War Caster or Inspiring Leader or Lucky. Resilient works too if it's Resilient (Wisdom) on an odd WIS score, like my examples above. If/once you get to 12 you should have a decent idea of what would help you most in your campaign.

That's fair; I went Scourge in large part because I get perma-flight from my class already, albeit much later admittedly, as well as the CON bonus. I didn't consider that Scourge would force concentration checks while up, however. That is worth thinking about again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh Hasbro appears to be finally taking advantage of that publicity Stranger Things gave them.
https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Stran...&language=en_US

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
New 5e Race - Valentine Day Special - Garter Folk

http://www.drevrpg.com/2019/02/drevrpg-5e-valentine-day-special-garter.html

The most romantic of snakes is now available as a playable species :D

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Been keeping up with The Chain, really digging things overall even if the first episode was a bit rough.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

P.d0t posted:

Curious about what other house fixes you have come up with? Ill be running Tomb of Annihilation sometime soon and already have some rules ill probably modify slightly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I actually had a couple of house rule ideas I wanted to run by the thread to see if they break anything too badly. The idea is to put all of the dice rolls on the players so that they have more activity instead of making them sit around while I roll things behind a screen.

To do this, I would give monsters a static value for attacks, and have players roll for defense. The static value for the monster would be 10 + their attack bonus, and the players would roll +AC modifiers, and the obvious modifiers for armor.

I would do the same sort of thing with saving throws, which I think was also a 4e thing I think. Give monsters and NPCs a static defensive value for each ability score, make spellcasters roll to beat it. This seems really trivial to do and solves a problem I've noticed my players having where when they cast a spell, it's unsatisfying to them when the resolution of that spell is out of their hands.

Does this make sense? The main thing I'm trying to do is keep players involved by using the physical activity of rolling a die, even during parts of the game where I would normally just say "it hits you with a sword, take 7 damage."

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Does this make sense? The main thing I'm trying to do is keep players involved by using the physical activity of rolling a die, even during parts of the game where I would normally just say "it hits you with a sword, take 7 damage."

An example of what you’re talking about would really help. I’m sure I’m reading it wrong, but it looked like:

Monster A (+5 attack bonus): always swings on a 15.
Player B (here’s where it’s unclear): rolls defense using their AC bonus? Meaning if they’re wearing scale mail they can never take a hit?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

koreban posted:

An example of what you’re talking about would really help. I’m sure I’m reading it wrong, but it looked like:

Monster A (+5 attack bonus): always swings on a 15.
Player B (here’s where it’s unclear): rolls defense using their AC bonus? Meaning if they’re wearing scale mail they can never take a hit?

The monster has 15 to hit, but the player loses their 10 base AC, so in scale you'd have 1d20 + 7 AC. The 10 base AC is supposed to equal the average d20 roll, so this is just a reversal of the paradigm.

In this case, instead of the monster hitting on a 12+, the player should block on a 9+. I think the only change to maintain mathematical parity is the defense roll must exceed the attack roll, while a player attack roll needs to match the enemy AC.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I've wanted to implement a similar thing in my own campaign. I've thought about using the UA combat variant here: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA5_VariantRules.pdf

Your method seems more streamlined honestly.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Curious about what other house fixes you have come up with? Ill be running Tomb of Annihilation sometime soon and already have some rules ill probably modify slightly.

I could go on for a while about this, but it’s going to be hugely dependent on how much you play into the environment of Chult.

RAW, armor will cause exhaustion levels, blue mist will cause madness, foraging is dangerous at the best of times, water mostly isn’t potable, I could go on...

Add to those challenges that your players are on a pretty strict time table to get Ascerak defeated before their benefactor dies, and you’ve got a really hard set of operating conditions for most classes.

A lot of which is fixed by players taking a level of Barbarian, Monk, or Sorcerer first. Unarmored defense is *really* powerful if you plan to lean into the environment.

Furthermore, a Cleric or Druid who can Create/Destroy Water (destroys fog, like the blue mist) and Purify Food and Drink are critical.

In Ascerak’s tomb there are so many insta-death traps and challenges. Make sure your players understand that if you’re going to use them. It might be useful to have players create 2-3 characters, pick a primary, and play as if you’re a company that breaks out into squads such that the main play group is on course, but others have side adventures that keep them leveled alongside the main party. If/when a main party member inevitably dies, they can swap in the side character.

Finally, as DM you absolutely *need* to study ahead in the book. So much stuff in the tomb is nested traps or false progress for players that if you approach it by just “winging it” you’re almost guaranteed to have an “oh, well, reading here... your character just died” moment. If you know what’s coming you at least have an opportunity to allow passive perception or investigation rolls to reveal triggers before players trip them.

Also, knowing what certain challenges (like the well, or lord of feasts) do ahead of time, especially if you’re tracking rations and water (which you should) will be critical.

Ascerak is meant to escape. It’s virtually impossible for a party to kill him. The best they can hope for is to interrupt his plans. They should come out of the game looking like Martin Sheen at the end of Apocalypse Now. It’s a grueling slog that is meant to not have a totally satisfying ending.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wrote this for 3e, but if you wanted rolls to always be player facing:

quote:

Physical Attacks:
Instead of an AC score, you have a Defense Roll, which is [d20 + AC modifiers], so if you have Chain Shirt (+4 AC) and 14/+2 Dex, you will have a Defense Roll of [d20+6]

The monsters, instead of rolling to attack, will have a Defense DC of [12 + attack modifiers], so if a monster has +3 BAB and 18/+4 Str, they will have a Defense DC of [19]

If your Defense Roll is equal to or higher than the Defense DC of a monster's attack, you will avoid taking damage. Otherwise, you will take damage.

A player attacking a monster is still done the same way: the player makes their attack roll, and deals damage when they meet or beat the monster's AC.

Spellcasting:

Instead of a Spell Save DC, you have a Spell Attack Roll, which is [d20 + spell level + spellcasting attribute modifier], so if you are a Wizard casting a 2nd-level spell and you have 18/+4 Int, you will have a Spell Attack Roll of [d20+6]

Instead of the monsters rolling a saving throw against your spells, they will instead have a Ref/Fort/Will Defense Score, which is [12 + saving throw bonuses], so if a monster has a +2 base Fort save and 14/+2 Con, they will have a Fort Defense of [16]

If your Spell Attack Roll is equal to or higher than the Fort/Ref/Will Defense of a monster, the monster will take the full effect of the spell. Otherwise, the spell will act as though the monster passed its saving throw: it deals half-damage (or none with Evasion), the effect is completely negated, and so on.

A monster casting a spell on a player is still done the same way: the player makes their saving throw, and negates the full effect of the spell when they meet or beat the monster's Spell Save DC.

A monster's stats would look like the following:
Goblin: 5 HP, Speed 30 ft, AC 16, Handaxe 14 Defense DC (2 damage/hit) or Dagger 15 Defense DC (1 damage/hit), 15 Fort, 13 Ref, 11 Will

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

lightrook posted:

The monster has 15 to hit, but the player loses their 10 base AC, so in scale you'd have 1d20 + 7 AC. The 10 base AC is supposed to equal the average d20 roll, so this is just a reversal of the paradigm.

In this case, instead of the monster hitting on a 12+, the player should block on a 9+. I think the only change to maintain mathematical parity is the defense roll must exceed the attack roll, while a player attack roll needs to match the enemy AC.

This is a neat idea. At first glance as just a reverse paradigm I like the concept, but there’s something ringing in the back of my mind about class trait or potential feat interactions that could trip this up.

I’m going to play with the idea today and see if I can poke any holes in it. I may pass it along to a friend who is DMing a completely ramshackle houserule heavy game already to implement.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Trying to homebrew a feat for a monk player in my campaign that wants to be Kenshiro since we're never getting high enough level to get the real stuff. Here's what I'm thinking:

After using Flurry of Blows, if the target's HP is less than your Monk level + Wisdom Ability Modifier, at the beginning of that creature's turn they are reduced to 0 HP and explode in a bloody mess. Hostile creatures in a 10 foot radius must make a Wisom saving throw or be feared until the beginning of their next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

koreban posted:

This is a neat idea. At first glance as just a reverse paradigm I like the concept, but there’s something ringing in the back of my mind about class trait or potential feat interactions that could trip this up.

I’m going to play with the idea today and see if I can poke any holes in it. I may pass it along to a friend who is DMing a completely ramshackle houserule heavy game already to implement.

One issue I can see is that the advantage/disadvantage system is set up to apply to attacks, because defense isn't normally rolled. Easy enough to just say that if a monster would attack with advantage or disadvantage the defender instead rolls defense with the opposite thing, don't think it would create a huge issue.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 14, 2019