Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
If the game hits 0 players gaben will emerge from his burrow, see his shadow then save artifact.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Axe is still 3$.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That Monday dip again.

Sunday peak: 1,237
Monday peak: 940

And Axe alone is ~5.2% of a total deck's cost. Drowcoin is bouncing between $1.20-$1.40 USD.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

don't worry, i'm sure someone will be here to tell us that artifact is good, actually

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

turboraton suddenly appears: "you dont get it guys, it was always supposed to be a niche game"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Soon it'll display a negative number because Steam has developed technology to determine the amount of people who thought about playing a game then thought "Nah, I'll do something else".

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Time to invest!!! HODL

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I never bought this (or was it f2p?) but I have enjoyed the thread a lot

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Jon Joe posted:

Pre-pricing Drow Ranger:

I was watching some streams yesterday and a topic I saw come up several times was "What do you think cards will cost on the secondary market?" I think people are just pulling numbers out of their asses, so I want to give a crack at this with only slightly less rear end-pullery.

I'm picking Drow because I expect her to be the most sought-after rare hero, especially at launch.

There are 12 cards per pack. There is exactly 1 hero per pack. There is 1 garaunteed rare per pack.

I now need to make a few assumptions:
  • The chance of any given card being the rare in the pack is equal, e.g. Valve haven't made it such that there's 30% the hero is rare and 70% another card is rare. Based on what I've watched of people opening packs, the equal chance theory appears correct, but there's no way to tell for sure without a look at the code. This would mean that when you open a pack, there is a 1 out of 12 chance your garaunteed rare is a hero.
  • The chance of 'ranking up' a card is negligable per pack. As anyone who's watched pack openings knows, there's some chance that when you open a pack, some of the card will automatically upgrade in rarity. This of course increases the chance you get a rare hero, but by how much I cannot say without, again, looking at the code. Even if this is a negligable chance per pack (which is what it looks like), over many packs this can have a signifigant effect on further calculations. Because I do not have an exact number I will be excluding this chance from estimates, but know that whatever number I come up with at the end will be inflated due to this.
  • Pack card generation is seperate from all previous and future packs generated; independent chances each time you crack a new one.
  • If your pack contains a rare hero, each rare hero is equally likely to show up. There are 12 rare heroes in the game, and one drow ranger, making it a 1 out of 12 chance that if your garaunteed rare is a hero, that hero is Drow Ranger.
  • More people will want a Drow than there are Drows avaliable to sell at launch, and this state will continue for at least a few weeks.

Okay so we have a 1/12 * 1/12 chance in a single pack to open a Drow under these conditions, or a 1/144 chance. To put it another way, there is a 143/144 chance you do not open a Drow when you open a pack. If you open 100 packs, there is a 49.81% chance you do not open a drow ranger, and a 50.19% chance you do, which is exactly how many packs you need to open to have an above 50% chance to open drow. To progress to a 95% chance to open drow, it would take 430 packs. Each pack costs $2, so a 50% chance at drow costs $200, and a 95% chance at drow costs $860. Other cards in the packs can likely be sold for money too, subsidising things, but by how much I cannot say. For as long as Drow's demand is greater than the number of all Drows avaliable, I'd probably expect her price to hover around the 50% chance to open price, or $200. As mentioned earlier, this will be adjusted downward by some unknown amount based on cards ranking up, so I'd estimate a price range anywhere between $150 to $200 for drow in the first month.

edit: I should clarify the chances are to get at least 1 Drow; I could instead calculate how many drows you'd get on average from 100 packs and so on, but I think 50% chance of getting at least one is a good benchmark.

i think about this post a lot lmao
poster hasn't posted since november

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I certainly wasn't expecting that all the people who said they enjoyed the game would give it up in a month. I'm used to people pretending that they enjoy exercise and eating healthily, not as used to it with video card games.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

No Wave posted:

I certainly wasn't expecting that all the people who said they enjoyed the game would give it up in a month. I'm used to people pretending that they enjoy exercise and eating healthily, not as used to it with video card games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I basically stopped playing once my group of friends stopped

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Thats how all my new year's resolutions fall apart

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I played like 1 evening last month because I thought game was probably more fun when I hadn't played for a while

It wasn't really

They probably need to do more than just release more sets, but the basic set is so limited in what it does and how interactive it is that it's drat hard to actually tell. God is it boring.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I was hyped from my friends and the magic pros saying it was best game ever. I then let myself be... myself... and was trying to build a good deck for the lowest price even though I had no reason to. I spent around $85 total for everything and then never played. Sold out at about $48. So I spent $35+ and probably hours of effort for a game I played probably 5 times because it wasn't that grabby and had no mobile client.

In hindsight I was probably their target market.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sucker.

Paid 20 $, refunded immediately when the release was glitched, bought again the day after, got double the welcome packages (lol), played for 20 hours-ish and finally liquidated for over 30 $.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I basically stopped playing once my group of friends stopped

who won the goon tournament?

some say that tournament is still being played to this day

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

No Wave posted:

I legit enjoyed it but they needed to release a new set of cards fairly early on given the limitations on deck building and the balance issues. Draft and constructed got stale pretty quickly with the existing card pool.

Triple the number of cards available and I'd probably play it again assuming enough players to make draft fun

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Thirsty Dog posted:

I legit enjoyed it but they needed to release a new set of cards fairly early on given the limitations on deck building and the balance issues. Draft and constructed got stale pretty quickly with the existing card pool.

Triple the number of cards available and I'd probably play it again assuming enough players to make draft fun

I wonder if Valve planned to update Artifact like how they update Dota 2 - big updates once or twice a year, then let things settle for a while. It's not unlikely, in which case they probably weren't planning on releasing an expansion for a few months, maybe not until May or June. I wonder if they're scrambling to get it out now, in which case it'll be rushed and sloppy. Joy!!

I also don't know if we should have confidence that an expansion would even do much. So what if it triples the size of the card pool, if the cards are just as boring as the current ones?

To add insult to injury, Keyforge (the other Garfield game released around the same time as Artifact, which so far has been a huge success) just announced its first expansion set, and it looks awesome. The cards shown so far have expanded the game in interesting ways without overly complicating it! Wow!!!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If they just put it out on the same model as HS or MTGA it would be fine. The economy is the sole reason the game died.

They could have done the DotA model and given all playable cards out free and sold cosmetics and they'd be fine.

They blew it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

If they just put it out on the same model as HS or MTGA it would be fine. The economy is the sole reason the game died.

They could have done the DotA model and given all playable cards out free and sold cosmetics and they'd be fine.

They blew it.

Nah it would still take too long and have been a mental grind that didn't encourage any more than 1-2 games in a row for most people.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

They blew it.
If someone bought you all the cards, would you enjoy playing the game?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Still bigger than Shadowverse, well done you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the game would have had a much better chance if everyone had all the cards, but yeah Valve needed to be quicker on the draw with adding in more interesting new cards.

While the core gameplay takes a long time and is brain-busting, I actually DO think there is potential for there to be a niche audience for that. Dota itself is somewhat similar, compared to HotS and LoL. This isn't a completely fair comparison, but hopefully it gets my point across. But the cards that exist are just loving boring and make every game feel very sameish, and there's very little room for personal expression in the game in regards to playstyle, deckbuilding, etc. I think if Valve had done better with their card design, the game would have had a better chance. I doubt the game ever would have become a smash hit like Hearthstone or MTGA, but I think it would have been able to get a decent core following. Maybe change up how a few of the core mechanics work, but Valve hasn't been opposed to that in Dota so I wouldn't expect them to be opposed to it here either. Who loving knows, game is dead.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No Wave posted:

There's would have been more play-value because some of us might actually have tried out constructed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Thing is we don't really know if the awful card design is a function of bad mechanics or not. If Axe Duel needs to be in the game for whatever reason, it implies the game's fundamentals are flawed.

People also hate arrows a lot, they hate the flop a lot, they hate the late game cards a lot, there's barely anything distinctive left, just the passing back and forth of initiative (which itself is only important because of cards everyone hates like duel, gust, and annihilation).

But maybe a miracle can happen. That would be impressive!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 13, 2019

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

No Wave posted:

Yeah, I'd be able to mess with deck building in a way I haven't been able to since Netrunner. It's really fun having access to all the tools.

I still have some issues with the way hero cards kinda flood your deck and the length of games, but yeah that's stuff that I could get over if the economy wasn't terrible. The ticket system on top of no free packs is just mind boggling. As much as I like to try drafting once in a while I really suck at it and it's more fun for me to refine a deck.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

who won the goon tournament?

some say that tournament is still being played to this day

No one, because goobusters refused to boot the people who had quit the game!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

No Wave posted:

Thing is we don't really know if the awful card design is a function of bad mechanics or not. If Axe Duel needs to be in the game for whatever reason, it implies the game's fundamentals are flawed.

People also hate arrows a lot, they hate the flop a lot, they hate the late game cards a lot, there's barely anything distinctive left, just the passing back and forth of initiative (which itself is only important because of cards everyone hates like duel, gust, and annihilation).

But maybe a miracle can happen. That would be impressive!

It really would, but the hype is gone and players got shafted.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's not just the business model, though that was the first thing to turn people off. The balance is really bad, Red is busted as hell and there are a lot unplayable heroes. A new set can fix some of that but they're going to have a hard time balancing around Axe/LC/Time of triumph going forward.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

We know the business model isn't the issue with Artifact, a ton of people bought the game knowing full well what it was. What we also know is that those same people stopped playing incredibly quick because they just don't like playing it. Game loving sucks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

No one, because goobusters refused to boot the people who had quit the game!

Lol unfortunately things got intensely busy at the end of the year and there were so many afk people. I regret not finishing it :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It was you, you killed artifact. Thanks Goobama

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually hosted and completed a tournament. I dont remember who won. Everyone pleas respect me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I joined a draft tournament from this thread but the next day it had been canceled by the organizer and everyone had left.

I actually may not have played a single day after that, now that I think about it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think the game would have had a much better chance if everyone had all the cards, but yeah Valve needed to be quicker on the draw with adding in more interesting new cards.

I dunno, collecting the cards is a big part of the appeal of these games for a lot of people.

nearly killed em! posted:

We know the business model isn't the issue with Artifact, a ton of people bought the game knowing full well what it was. What we also know is that those same people stopped playing incredibly quick because they just don't like playing it. Game loving sucks

Do we know how many copies were sold? I got the impression it was a few hundred thousand which is honestly kind of dismal for the company that made DotA2, TF2, Portal, L4D and etc.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I dunno, collecting the cards is a big part of the appeal of these games for a lot of people.

While true, Netrunner and Game of Thrones have proved you can have a pretty successful card game that doesn't have any randomness when it comes to buying cards. Those games have cards release in packs that contain 20ish new cards, and the pack contains the maximum amount of each of those cards that can be included in a single deck. So by buying all the packs, you instantly have enough cards to include all of a single card into a deck as you like.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don’t get why they don’t just tease a single spoiler. They gotta have something in the pipe.

Normal Adult Human posted:

I actually hosted and completed a tournament. I dont remember who won. Everyone pleas respect me.

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pigbuster posted:

I don’t get why they don’t just tease a single spoiler. They gotta have something in the pipe.

:bravo:

Welcome to Valve's development methodology.

Everything they've released so far from the progression stuff to the panic balance and buyback (and the -1 gold changes :psyduck:) have been in a flailing panic.

Valve can't even release a Dota 2 hero on time these days despite advertising them like six months in advance.