Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Flop House / Greatest Generation combination episode about Star Trek V actually kind of made me want to see the movie again.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jeeves posted:

The Flop House / Greatest Generation combination episode about Star Trek V actually kind of made me want to see the movie again.

Ugh.

Was that a donor episode?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
yep

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Recently realized that Jadzia Dax basically got Tasha Yar'd.

"Oh you're leaving the show? gently caress you, sudden meaningless death!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ron Moore's rationalization for it is so weak, too. "ehhhhhhh we felt like ~*the heroic sacrifice*~ was just done too much in star trek, you know?"

Really, are you loving kidding me? When's the last time prior to that a woman got to go down swinging on Star Trek? Not to mention Ron's great track record on BSG with murdering women.

I don't know why I'm suddenly so pissy about this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I wonder if Rick Berman stole her combadge too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Recently realized that Jadzia Dax basically got Tasha Yar'd.

"Oh you're leaving the show? gently caress you, sudden meaningless death!"
I mean it’s at least more tragic that way and it creates repercussions until the end of the series. The real problem is that it happened at the last minute so the showrunners couldn’t really have a long term plan for how to write her off the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao they gave Damar a meaningful death, and couldn't do it for Jadzia? Whatever

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Would it have been better if she died on that planet while on that mission with Worf?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Actually yes, that would have been much more meaningful for her than what she ended up getting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Would it have been better if she died on that planet while on that mission with Worf?

that could have actually been kind of great in a hosed up way although i'd have sort of loved if she died on that mission AND worf failed and also died. now that's how you gently caress w/ viewers and show that your war Means Bizness

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jadzia should have died on Meridian.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
jadzia doesn't die, but she does quit starfleet because she's like "you know, the Dominion is probably going to love Trill because we all have huge sticks up our asses and love boring clothing" so she wants to make a good-faith effort to fly under the radar once trillplanet is conquered

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Haha, I'd love to see a DS9 where 95% of the main cast is dead and replaced by other people we don't have time get to know. By the time the Dominion is pushed back, most of the people celebrating are faces we don't recognize. The one or two familiar faces are careworn, paper-thin. They meet each other's eyes and think of how many rounded characters were sacrificed for this great moment--and how it holds them back from truly enjoying it as a victory.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Haha, I'd love to see a DS9 where 95% of the main cast is dead and replaced by other people we don't have time get to know. By the time the Dominion is pushed back, most of the people celebrating are faces we don't recognize. The one or two familiar faces are careworn, paper-thin. They meet each other's eyes and think of how many rounded characters were sacrificed for this great moment--and how it holds them back from truly enjoying it as a victory.

I'm struggling with whether thematically the best choice of a survivor would be Bashir ("yaaaaayyy frontier medicine!!! yaaaayyy starfleet!! :downs:") or Miles ("god won't let me die").

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Just Kira and Keiko staring blankly out over the Promenade during the victory celebrations

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pick posted:

I'm struggling with whether thematically the best choice of a survivor would be Bashir ("yaaaaayyy frontier medicine!!! yaaaayyy starfleet!! :downs:") or Miles ("god won't let me die").

Morn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
keiko, holding a pair of pruning snips, and garak, holding a pair of scissors, and they look at one another like "welp"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

O'Brien and Morn, drunk in a Quark's with no Quark.

"Come on, Morn. Talk to me. You can't hold it in forever."

But Morn's ebulliant former self is gone, that gregariousness for which he was known replaced with a wooden countenance.

O'Brien sighs, finishes his drink, pats Morn on the back and leaves. "Whenever you're ready, friend. Whenever you're ready."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek: Band of Brothers would have been an interesting way to end DS9. I'd have been down, but I can't imagine that ending ever getting approval.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek: Band of Brothers would have been an interesting way to end DS9. I'd have been down, but I can't imagine that ending ever getting approval.

It probably would have had a better chance than the “Benny Russel directing Star Trek” ending.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

It probably would have had a better chance than the “Benny Russel directing Star Trek” ending.

Were they floating an ending where DS9 was a show being directed by Benny Russel? And the last episode has him saying like, "that's a wrap"? Or something? And then something happens where he's denied his legacy due to being Black, but then there's a hopeful note for the future as well?

Part of me loves that. Part of me recoils.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Were they floating an ending where DS9 was a show being directed by Benny Russel? And the last episode has him saying like, "that's a wrap"? Or something? And then something happens where he's denied his legacy due to being Black, but then there's a hopeful note for the future as well?

Part of me loves that. Part of me recoils.

IIRC something very close to that was planned by Behr, and it was almost immediately shut down by everyone else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Behr (I think) at one point wanted an ending where Benny Russell would be sitting by the empty promenade set reading a script for the show. I don’t think the idea made it very far but they did consider it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That would have been legendarily bad. Star Trek is not fiction in its own universe, that would blow. Also, been loving done.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What they should have done is unfrozen Benny Russel, who apparently had himself frozen as sci-fi authors are wont to do, and had him replace Sisko.

And as the last episode ends he looks out at the stars and says "it's real... and it's glorious."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What they should have done is reboot Quantum Leap with Sisko, stepping into the celestial Temple being the same as stepping into the quantum leap accelerator. He leaps throughout history putting right which once went wrong. His only guide on this journey is chief Miles Edward O'Brien.

Every episode he's in a different planet, different aliens, the works.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Supposedly, Terry Farrell begged for this to happen when she first read that script

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

That would have been legendarily bad. Star Trek is not fiction in its own universe, that would blow. Also, been loving done.
Yeah...that would have been a major mistake.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love Benny but that would have been an Enterprise finale level mistake.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The second Benny episode with him in a mental ward was a mistake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I love Benny but that would have been an Enterprise finale level mistake.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The second Benny episode with him in a mental ward was a mistake

No, because we got Casey Biggs without makeup.

:swoon:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Casey Biggs is a good looking human being.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

What they should have done is unfrozen Benny Russel, who apparently had himself frozen as sci-fi authors are wont to do, and had him replace Sisko.

And as the last episode ends he looks out at the stars and says "it's real... and it's glorious."

Nah it's one of those alternate-versions-of-Earth that are just floating around in Star Trek, so there's no time travel, just a psychic link.

Then a season where Benny's Earth gets taken over by the Dominion, resulting in Benny becoming a fugitive who eventually meets up with Sisko to double the on-screen Brooks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

Nah it's one of those alternate-versions-of-Earth that are just floating around in Star Trek, so there's no time travel, just a psychic link.

Then a season where Benny's Earth gets taken over by the Dominion, resulting in Benny becoming a fugitive who eventually meets up with Sisko to double the on-screen Brooks.

Sisko: JAM
Benny: BA
Sisko: LA
Benny: YA!

*they slam their fists together, invoking the power of the prophets to gently caress poo poo up*

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

HD DAD posted:

Sisko: JAM
Benny: BA
Sisko: LA
Benny: YA!

*they slam their fists together, invoking the power of the prophets to gently caress poo poo up*

Dax: BASEBALL!
Bashir: CAJUN CUISINE!
O'Brien: LOVE FOR YOUR CHILDREN!
Kira: BLESSINGS OF THE PROPHETS!
Quark: AN IMPRESSIVE STAGE DICTION!

By your powers combined, I am CAPTIAN SISKO!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Captain Sisko
He's the 'Ssairy
Gonna fight Dukat
In the Fire Caves

He's the Prophets
Magnified
His mother was
Possessified

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Pick posted:

Benny is the loose thread that would unravel the entire Star Trek universe if pulled too hard, so it's probably best left alone. Fun as it is to picture him having to write every single episode, including all the ones with Troi's mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Maelstache posted:

Benny is the loose thread that would unravel the entire Star Trek universe tapestry if pulled too hard

Fixed