Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

JackSplater posted:

Ace Combat 7: The A-10's "machine gun" is equally as weak as every other jet's.

:negative: what's even the point then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had been on the fence about buying AC7, but have now called in an orbital strike to remove it from existence.

Approved.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

e: actually when you've got Birdie fighting pretty much any of the women the game begins to feel like a Robert Crumb themed fighter

Hey now, at least use the default outfit when you're making your point.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

Possible starting classes in that game included K***ht and ******in

I maxed out the poisoning skill in Ultima Online specifically so anyone looking at my character would see that I was a Grandmaster assassin.

You could mark runes for people to use to teleport to, but you couldn't use the words prear endage or basement, among many others.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I hate fighting games that have extremely tight requirements for combos. Games where you essentially have to be inputting your next move while your current one is still animating are too much for me; I can't really internalize that because I always want to watch to be sure this is all going off right, but the game doesn't really want any sort of delay.

I've seen several games like this, and the worst is Injustice (and so probably recent Mortal Kombats too, I haven't played them) because it bakes those combos into basic tutorials. I can play just fine without those specific moves and figure out my own way to keep up my combos that'll work well enough but I'm prevented from understanding other basic features of the game because I can't make Batman do this one specific uppercut followup.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I hate fighting games that have extremely tight requirements for combos. Games where you essentially have to be inputting your next move while your current one is still animating are too much for me; I can't really internalize that because I always want to watch to be sure this is all going off right, but the game doesn't really want any sort of delay.

I've seen several games like this, and the worst is Injustice (and so probably recent Mortal Kombats too, I haven't played them) because it bakes those combos into basic tutorials. I can play just fine without those specific moves and figure out my own way to keep up my combos that'll work well enough but I'm prevented from understanding other basic features of the game because I can't make Batman do this one specific uppercut followup.

push the buttons faster

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Combat animations (and fights in general in RTS games) are like boobs: fun to look at, but if you stare at them you're going to get slapped. Glance at them to get the idea, then look away!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Combat animations (and fights in general in RTS games) are like boobs: fun to look at, but if you stare at them you're going to get slapped. Glance at them to get the idea, then look away!

Thanks for the tip augmented George.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cleretic posted:

I play a fair amount of fighting games and that exact loving step of that exact loving tutorial is still burned in my mind several years later as annoyingly difficult. IIRC the solution really is

Brother Entropy posted:

push the buttons faster

but it's weird because the input style is really different than most games I was familiar with.

Mortal Kombat XL is, I think, a little more forgiving on inputs (and also is a great game, much better than it has any right to be).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The one thing I don’t like about Netherrealm studios games is that their combos are generally preset inputs, compared to something like capcom where it’s about cancelling between various attacks and can be way more freeform.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played Injustice 2 and I don't know if they changed how it works, but you can just press the entire sequence and the character will follow it, you don't have to wait for the animation to finish or cancel it or stuff like that.

It was an extremely chill game to me but I only play SP and don't try to make intricate combinations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's what people are talking about, in most fighting games you'll get a few split seconds of hitstop mid-combo to confirm hits and then decide if you wanna continue the string or cancel into something else. NRS games don't have the same system and you have to buffer in your combo ahead of the actual animation. It does take some getting used to since you're not really using your character's movements as a guide for when to input a command.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I haven't played most fighting games :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played most fighting games :v:

They can be a lot of fun but to get the most out of them you really need an arcade stick, IMO. It’s easier for my brain to have different buttons for each finger with something moving that fast, and having a stick you move with your whole hand instead of a thumb stick makes a big difference when it comes to directional inputs. Luckily you can get them for relatively cheap now. The one I had for my PS3 was like 30 bucks.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Oh no, it's on purpose. I hate the competitive aspect of the genre, the focus on the MP and how you have to study the mechanics as if it were a class to not get bodied every single time. I picked Injustice 2 up specifically because it does not hang that way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Oh no, it's on purpose. I hate the competitive aspect of the genre, the focus on the MP and how you have to study the mechanics as if it were a class to not get bodied every single time. I picked Injustice 2 up specifically because it does not hang that way.

MK is the same way, and great for playing with friends, but it just feels so much better on the stick. And in my experience, everyone has a nostalgia blast when you drag out the arcade stick.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The original Driver had a tutorial that most people failed, and thus never got to play the rest of the game. Your car is in an underground garage and you have one minute to fulfill a checklist of maneuvers. The game doesn't tell how to do any of these tasks, but it sure as poo poo expects you to perfect all them in 60 seconds. What on earth is a Slalom?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The original Driver had a tutorial that most people failed, and thus never got to play the rest of the game. Your car is in an underground garage and you have one minute to fulfill a checklist of maneuvers. The game doesn't tell how to do any of these tasks, but it sure as poo poo expects you to perfect all them in 60 seconds. What on earth is a Slalom?

loving hell, this right here. Slalom means weaving between the pillars in the garage. It would have been a fun little challenge if it wasn't written in a big, looping cursive that made "slalom" unreadable.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I was one of those 10 year olds who never got to play Driver besides the tutorial and the free drive mode. What a stupid goddamn decision to make the tutorial that's a pre-requisite to playing the game loving impossible for a new player

I don't know how the sequel was ever green-lit.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Feb 13, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I don't know how the sequel was ever green-lit.

Driver sold 3 million copies.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
That Driver tutorial was bizarre. Even knowing what everything is, it's harder execution-wise than most of the rest of the game. I'm very glad I had an action replay for this game alone.

While we're on PSX games, I tried a game I'd looked at as a kid but never bought. Glad I never got Parappa the Rapper as new, I'm half decent at rhythm games so I breezed through the first 3 stages of 6 in half an hour before you get to baking a goddamn cake with that loving chicken. Nothing you're asked to do here looks hard but something about the timing is wrong so I just plunge down to 'awful' without getting anything right. It's just off, the only times I got a good grade on I line, I thought I'd screwed up.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh right lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

That Driver tutorial was bizarre. Even knowing what everything is, it's harder execution-wise than most of the rest of the game. I'm very glad I had an action replay for this game alone.

While we're on PSX games, I tried a game I'd looked at as a kid but never bought. Glad I never got Parappa the Rapper as new, I'm half decent at rhythm games so I breezed through the first 3 stages of 6 in half an hour before you get to baking a goddamn cake with that loving chicken. Nothing you're asked to do here looks hard but something about the timing is wrong so I just plunge down to 'awful' without getting anything right. It's just off, the only times I got a good grade on I line, I thought I'd screwed up.
Parappa has some issues regarding timing, but I love it anyway

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Necrothatcher posted:

It was also a really good game at the time, although the difficulty was pretty brutal. I didn't find the tutorial that bad compared to some of the later missions, but it is certainly a hell of a way to start off the story mode.

Reflections tended to make obscenely hard games in general, including stuff like Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga and Stuntman on the PS2 (I got 100% completion on Stuntman :smug:).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Doc M posted:

Reflections tended to make obscenely hard games in general, including stuff like Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga and Stuntman on the PS2 (I got 100% completion on Stuntman :smug:).

Holy hell, I didn't know they were connected to some of the ultra tough Psygnosis stuff easy back on Amiga, I didn't realize Psygnosis just published those. Amiga and PS1, united in my unnecessarily spent rage :sweatdrop:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did they really need to recreate the Let it Go scene shot for shot in KH3?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

Did they really need to recreate the Let it Go scene shot for shot in KH3?

no, but by all accounts disney's lawyers had an absolute deathgrip on everything having to do with the frozen property during KH3's development

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

no, but by all accounts disney's lawyers had an absolute deathgrip on everything having to do with the frozen property during KH3's development

I mean makes sense Frozen made them approximately all the money

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Not sure if I'll ever get around to KH3, but I watched the Let it Go clip on YouTube. It reminded me of that Tom and Jerry meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. A complete remake of the original, but Sora and his pals are in the background!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
2 of the worlds are original concepts that take place after the movie in question. 3 of the worlds are just the original plot cut down significantly and one is kinda of a hodge podge of both.

Its really disappointing honestly because you might as well watch the movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

RagnarokAngel posted:

2 of the worlds are original concepts that take place after the movie in question. 3 of the worlds are just the original plot cut down significantly and one is kinda of a hodge podge of both.

Going off memory, the only worlds from the original that weren't based off clear parts of the source movie were Deep Jungle (alternate take on the movie apparently), Halloween Town (seems to be a Nightmare prequel), and Olympus Coliseum. Monstro's a weird edge case between 'based on a movie scene' and unrelated.

It's kinda always been the way with Kingdom Hearts.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Feb 14, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol yep that was so dumb, i never got past the tutorial.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

I honestly do not get the appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Though that may be from meeting one person offline who was into it, and he was the patron saint of being greasy and offputting.

But that sounds really dumb and a waste of time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I honestly do not get the appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Though that may be from meeting one person offline who was into it, and he was the patron saint of being greasy and offputting.

The Kingdom Hearts is a series of perfectly fine-to-good games on the technical and gameplay standpoint. It's the whole story and "lore" that reaches always-expanding :psyduck: levels.

e. I must add, the majority of the :psyduck: was added by the sequels/prequels. Kingdom Hearts 1 had a straightforward story which was retconned and complicated afterwards.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What does “kingdom hearts” even mean?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's complicated. If you have half an hour to throw away, this video gives a summary of the "plot" and "lore" of this disaster franchise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I like it because its loving insane and that's about it. Im sure nostalgia helps.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Mikl posted:

e. I must add, the majority of the :psyduck: was added by the sequels/prequels. Kingdom Hearts 1 had a straightforward story which was retconned and complicated afterwards.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard this might be the snowball effect of what was essentially a prank. A lead developer for Chain of Memories, the first sidegame, was miffed that he had to work on a game that traditionally gets ignored, and pushed for the condition that anything that happened in his game had to be canon. And then when he got the nod for that, he apparently went mad with power and set the stage for the entire rest of the series.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Strategy games, could you please gently caress off with races that operate like locusts and devour their territory for a big period of gains that then turns to worthless rock? Yeah, that's a fun mechanism for encouraging aggressive gameplay when playing as that race, but good Lord it makes fighting that race a pain because you don't get anything out of conquering their territory. All their territory is worthless because they've eaten everything, and that both makes fighting them exasperating and turns chunks of the map useless.

Which game is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MiddleOne posted:

Which game is this?

Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos in Total Warham kind of operate this way, they only destroy settlements they take and loot/wreck up the land where they go.