Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A company made a portrait mode Switch grip for some of the shoot-em-ups that use vertical scrolling

If you look at the inside of a Switch there's actually a pretty large battery inside of it.

Even if they did nothing to change the electronics, Nintendo could easily make a more compact Switch. If they chose to bake in the Joycons (forcing handheld mode) as a cost saving measure, it's just more sales of a Joycon+Dock bundle sold separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Making the switch smaller to force you to use it in a dock might just be the dumbest thing i've ever heard

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dehry posted:

If you look at the inside of a Switch there's actually a pretty large battery inside of it.

There's also a fan which is a non-starter for a classic portable.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

Making the switch smaller to force you to use it in a dock might just be the dumbest thing i've ever heard

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I have one of these for my loving phone now, thanks Nintendo

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dehry posted:

A company made a portrait mode Switch grip for some of the shoot-em-ups that use vertical scrolling

I play Pinball FX3 in portrait with a stand. Not sure how comfy this is, but portrait mode Switch games are lowkey fire

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Get the Flipgrip. It's only $12, and it comes with a card to convert it into a stand.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
flip grip good, confirming

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How many games even make use of the vertical screen?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shadow225 posted:

Not many, but an increasing number. Downwell is perfect in vertical mode, same for any of the bullet hell shooters.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Shadow225 posted:

https://retronauts.com/article/946/the-comprehensive-list-of-flip-grip-friendly-vertical-games-for-switch

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Shoulder buttons have been one of the long-term weak points on game boys since the advance, to the point that I literally have little baggies of OG/SP/DS shoulder triggers in one of my spare part drawers for the inevitable desolder-and-replace repairs. It looks like the 3DS uses the same actual switch mechanism, but they soldered it to a ribbon that can be popped in/out so you can likely replace it with far less hassle (but you'll still need to be able to disassemble the 3ds to get at it).

You may also be able to do a quick check-- with your working bumper buttons, when you press them down you can feel/hear a click, that's from a small metal plate that's being depressed on the inside of the trigger mechanism. When you press down on the ZR button:

- Is there less movement and no click? You might be lucky and it's just a physical obstruction between the plastic button and the mechanism itself, you might be able to blow some air in around the button without even disassembling the hardware and fix it.

- Is there just as much movement as the other buttons, but no click? That would indicate that there's something that's actually gotten into the mechanism and has basically glued the connection open, like a spilled soda or something. It might be resolvable without replacing something if you can disassemble and isolate the mechanism and dip it in rubbing alcohol or something but it'd still be tricky and might be better to get a $5 replacement mechanism/ribbon combo anyways if you've got it cracked open that far.

- Is there as much movement and a click? That indicates that something is fundamentally broke, either in the component itself (if you're lucky) or elsewhere on the system board. You can order a replacement ribbon/switch and cross your fingers, it's likely replacing that will fix it but it's not guaranteed.

It's the last one, thanks for the heads up, I really wish there was a way to just disable the button because outside of like the firmware & a few games i truly do not need the ZR button....does very little for me. But, now I know what must be done

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Avalerion posted:

A smaller, portable (no joycons) and undockable switch would be the perfect followup- device, imo.

Why you'd want a Vita, man? Nobody wants a Vita, not even Sony.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'd buy a nintendo vita....

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

codenameFANGIO posted:

Dude I loving love video games.
well why dont you marry them!!!!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

univbee posted:

There's also a fan which is a non-starter for a classic portable.
It's pretty obvious by now that Nintendo is holding out on the 32DS until Moore's Law makes it possible to manufacture a baked-joycon Switch that runs in the portable-only performance profile with decent battery and no fan for ~$150 MSRP. Sure, such a device would only have compatibility with 99% of Switch titles, but that's actually pretty great.

Also, such a device would be a strict subset of the real Switch's capabilities, so there's no downside to the real Switch aside from price and maybe size.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also such a device wouldn't be possible for literal years without a fan.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's the issue with it having a fan?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's pretty obvious by now that Nintendo is holding out on the 32DS until Moore's Law makes it possible to manufacture a baked-joycon Switch that runs in the portable-only performance profile with decent battery and no fan for ~$150 MSRP. Sure, such a device would only have compatibility with 99% of Switch titles, but that's actually pretty great.

Also, such a device would be a strict subset of the real Switch's capabilities, so there's no downside to the real Switch aside from price and maybe size.

yeah, all that, 100% obvious, who is nintendo fooling by not.... making a 3ds 2.... what is this conversation

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Doesn't look like the 3DS Cpt Toad is going to get the new DLC. And it was the version I was planning on getting too, for the better touch screen. Or rather the screen I'd rather touch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Avalerion posted:

What's the issue with it having a fan?

It's a moving part which is an added point of failure and requires considerably more battery power than a system that needs no moving parts at all, and now you need to implement vents and an air flow system which aren't really ideal for something 3DS-sized and handheld. I mean it's not impossible in theory but it exponentially increases the complexity of a device you're trying to keep as simple as possible.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also such a device wouldn't be possible for literal years without a fan.

Heatpipes, man. All you need to do is to make it thicker, really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

endlessmonotony posted:

Heatpipes, man. All you need to do is to make it thicker, really.

I dont think there's much market for s device that burns the user's hands and is heavier than the original Switch. Also making it thicker makes it look inferior from a customer perception after decades of being told slimmer laptops are better.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gimme that thicc grippable switch

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Man, now I want a squishy booty shaped switch where each cheek was a neon joy con.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dont think there's much market for s device that burns the user's hands and is heavier than the original Switch. Also making it thicker makes it look inferior from a customer perception after decades of being told slimmer laptops are better.

Burns the user's hands, not necessarily.

Heavier and thicker, yeah, it would be. Probably not as good an option as a simple fan with heatpipes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Cooling something like a handheld-mode Switch isn't some kind of superscience - we've had multiple ways to pull it off for years, fan or not fan, cheap and not.

Doing it on the cheap and without a fan would require a design I can only describe as "Gamecube Gear" with some fairly thick grips. But then you could also make a radiator out of nothing but a simple copper pipe with a tiny user-removable fan unit and minimize complexity while only adding about two millimeters of thickness - that you could use for the battery elsewhere in the device.

Either way, heatpipes that get uncomfortably hot if you touch them directly and fine otherwise aren't exactly rocket science either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Cooling something like a handheld-mode Switch isn't some kind of superscience - we've had multiple ways to pull it off for years, fan or not fan, cheap and not.

The Switch's battery life is pretty terrible for a pure handheld, and it's also relatively large (doesn't fit in a normal pocket). Serious question, what's the smallest handheld consumer device that's had a fan? Have any smart phones had one?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

The Switch's battery life is pretty terrible for a pure handheld, and it's also relatively large (doesn't fit in a normal pocket). Serious question, what's the smallest handheld consumer device that's had a fan? Have any smart phones had one?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44371071

laugh at this disgusting phone

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Republic of Gamers lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fuckin' nice. At least it's clip-on so it's optional (I think?)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I’m impressed by how restrained the NPC designs are in Etrian Odyssey Nexus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

I’m impressed by how restrained the NPC designs are in Etrian Odyssey Nexus.

Sounds like someone hasn't met Princess Enrica yet

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh my Gosh!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got some Gorilla Glue with a brush applicator to fix the rubber coating on my Circle Pad. I brushed a bit of it over the cracked bits and let it set overnight. Worked like a charm! If it cracks again I guess I can just fix it again, but in the meantime I can play my 3DS again so hooray!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Three Targets and one Gamestop has yielded approximately zero copies of Yokai Watch 3. And it's not on Amazon. RIP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's available to order on BB.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Three Targets and one Gamestop has yielded approximately zero copies of Yokai Watch 3. And it's not on Amazon. RIP.

As far as I can tell, there's only two more games coming out for 3DS at retail. Kirby's Epic Yarn and Persona Q2. I'd say if you were at all interested in them, secure your preorder now because I highly doubt that stores are going to order more than the bare minimum. The prices for Yokai Watch Blasters are insane right now. I figured I'd buy them when they got cheap but didn't realize that won't happen because Switch took over so much faster than anyone realized. I won't be surprised if Yokai Watch 3 ends up being somewhat rare. poo poo, the Bowser's Inside Story remake sold less than the Mario game for Virtual Boy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Detective No. 27 posted:

As far as I can tell, there's only two more games coming out for 3DS at retail. Kirby's Epic Yarn and Persona Q2. I'd say if you were at all interested in them, secure your preorder now because I highly doubt that stores are going to order more than the bare minimum. The prices for Yokai Watch Blasters are insane right now. I figured I'd buy them when they got cheap but didn't realize that won't happen because Switch took over so much faster than anyone realized. I won't be surprised if Yokai Watch 3 ends up being somewhat rare. poo poo, the Bowser's Inside Story remake sold less than the Mario game for Virtual Boy.

Why is this? I thought BIS was supposed to be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It is good but a remake was kinda unnecessary. The remake is worse in a lot of ways than the original as well such as running in 30fps as opposed to the original being 60fps.