Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
has it been ut confirmed that facehugger have vagina underside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
The Lien

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

Their heads should curve upwards :colbert:

You'll understand when you are older.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh god it's on again. They're all about to infiltrate the hospital and that hot blonde is about to get impaled to the wall again.

And I have a full bladder... gently caress.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Ahahahahaha and then dipshit gets impaled through his thoracic aorta and lives

This movie was so so terrible and so great.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Preston Waters posted:

Ahahahahaha and then dipshit gets impaled through his thoracic aorta and lives

This movie was so so terrible and so great.

It's literally a slasher genre film like A Nightmare on Elm Street/Friday the 13th. The characters are deliberately unlikable and stale solely to be graphically killed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Slutitution posted:

It's literally a slasher genre film like A Nightmare on Elm Street/Friday the 13th. The characters are deliberately unlikable and stale solely to be graphically killed.

I guess what you mean is that it's a parody of a bad slasher film, because the best slashers had likable characters and weren't deliberately written to be stale tropes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Been playing the hell out of RE2 remake and a lot of people ask about games that have an unstoppable force like Mr. X and I always mention Alien: Isolation. But it got me to thinking since I'd really dig a new Alien video game (and not one on a phone).

How about a real survival horror approach set on a ship or something tight like the Raccoon City PD building? Instead of hiding all the time, you gather lab keys, codes, weapons and parts to gradually unlock the ship but make it where you can still fight a bit? Face huggers, xenos in various stages of maturity...maybe add some androids or something. Throw in the resource management, upgrades, scarce equipment, strategy and a boss or 3 like the queena.

Not a FPS/Doom approach like we've had with a few Alien games but something in the spirit and in the vein of what Capcom pulled off where you CAN fight but your pulse is always pounding. Have it where when acid gets on you too much you lose inventory slots or your weapons, items and armor degrade. Do stuff with lighting and power switches that make being able to see things essential. Then design the levels in a really tight way like RE2.

I guess I want RE2 with Aliens instead of zombies is what I'm saying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One thing I really like about RE2 is that you kill probably like 30 zombies in it, tops.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So we were talking a bit about a potential Alien TV series being a thing in the works and now it seems like this might be Hulu series produced by Ridley Scott. The speculation is that it will be like American Horror Story or Fargo where each season is in a different time period or/and a different cast of characters.

https://hnentertainment.co/exclusive-two-live-action-alien-series-are-in-the-works-and-ridley-scott-is-producing-one-at-hulu/

BiggerBoat posted:

Been playing the hell out of RE2 remake and a lot of people ask about games that have an unstoppable force like Mr. X and I always mention Alien: Isolation. But it got me to thinking since I'd really dig a new Alien video game (and not one on a phone).

How about a real survival horror approach set on a ship or something tight like the Raccoon City PD building? Instead of hiding all the time, you gather lab keys, codes, weapons and parts to gradually unlock the ship but make it where you can still fight a bit? Face huggers, xenos in various stages of maturity...maybe add some androids or something. Throw in the resource management, upgrades, scarce equipment, strategy and a boss or 3 like the queena.

Not a FPS/Doom approach like we've had with a few Alien games but something in the spirit and in the vein of what Capcom pulled off where you CAN fight but your pulse is always pounding. Have it where when acid gets on you too much you lose inventory slots or your weapons, items and armor degrade. Do stuff with lighting and power switches that make being able to see things essential. Then design the levels in a really tight way like RE2.

I guess I want RE2 with Aliens instead of zombies is what I'm saying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One thing I really like about RE2 is that you kill probably like 30 zombies in it, tops.

Hell yeah. The remake is amazing with this too because the gore and durability of the zombies is like House of the Dead 2 caliber. Like you can shoot their limbs off and cave parts of their face in and it won't even really phase them, and you can even literally blow them in half then come back to that room hours later and the same zombie will start crawling towards you again. It's insanely good and they made the atmosphere of the game way more of a horror action thing than the original RE2 was.

IIRC the PSX Alien Resurrection game started out like this (and it's still a good game with some slow burn parts IMO, and one of the best looking PSX games with some impressive lighting). But they instead tried to make it more actiony with noticeably worse looking aliens than in older shots of it so they could get more on screen at once.

Alien is a series that begs for an RE2 kind of game though where the scope is more limited but super detailed. I mean the super detailed-ness of Alien and Aliens is like half the appeal.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shoot them once in the face and run past them (it is the only way to make Mr. X threatening later), or hobble them by taking out a leg and make them useless, while using less ammo in general.

BiggerBoat posted:

Been playing the hell out of RE2 remake and a lot of people ask about games that have an unstoppable force like Mr. X

More like my fun tag buddy.

I complained about the rubbebanding and silly B.S. teleporting the Alien does in Isolation, but then you have Mr. X, who is just a giant joke who you can just trick to stay on the other side of the map and not worry about him at all. I wonder if there's a way to find happy medium between the two.

I've watched a couple of people play Five Nights at Xenos but not yet anyone that bothered to finish it. It at least seemed kind of interesting for that genre, especially since it's a slight callback to the C64 game (which no Youtubers seem to know the existence of).

edit: What am I thinking; Jack in RE7 was actually legit scary at first because he *could* be faster than you but didn't cheat as much as the Alien, so they already found the medium.

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 14, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

With literally decades of licensed hunting simulators having been created, I'm legit surprised nobody ever made a straight up Predator simulator. And I'm not talking about concrete jungle, I'm talking about a game that casts you as the Predator and sets you in a map and scores you on execution of your hunt. Like a cross between one of those Cabella games and Hitman. I don't need a story, just give me a bunch of maps based on the franchise.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think part of it is how close you can cut it with the xenomorph's not very good peripheral vision. This recent playthrough was perfect alien behavior wise, it really clicked. And I think I do prefer something along the lines of Isolation to Mr. X overall. The rubberbanding never felt forced to me though. There are few people left on the station and you're the one making noise repairing stuff and messing with the machinery. Jackis simpler to figure out but once you learn its quirks the alien is pretty fair itself.

I noticed that about the old Alien computer game too. I was very surprised that like no article about this new one brought it up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

With literally decades of licensed hunting simulators having been created, I'm legit surprised nobody ever made a straight up Predator simulator. And I'm not talking about concrete jungle, I'm talking about a game that casts you as the Predator and sets you in a map and scores you on execution of your hunt. Like a cross between one of those Cabella games and Hitman. I don't need a story, just give me a bunch of maps based on the franchise.

I made a too long post about this a while ago but that's like my dream Predator game. Like you fly around Earth (or a space colony or something if it's in AvP times I guess I don't know) from your main ship and scope out the biggest badass killers in the region and then hunt them down. And like Hitman have points for being noticed/how you go about killing them/not letting any of your tech get destroyed/fall into human hands and how many skulls you collect. Like even make it so if you just blast everyone from long range it runs a high chance of blowing their body apart such that the skull is fractured so it's not worth as much so you have to sneak and get up close to get maximum honor from your buddies.

The targets can of course include all the main characters from every movie and then like the final endgame missions are some combination of Arnold/Gary Busey/etc. and then you leave to return home but oh poo poo Danny Glover is ON YOUR SHIP.

In Blood Money you had to do stuff like spend money on fake IDs and new identities in between missions if you were spotted in the last one, otherwise security would be higher in the next mission. In this game you could do something sort of like that but it would be like since you hosed up maybe there's more guard or maybe like the other Predators make you go out with shittier gear to prove yourself worthy again or something like that. Ideally instead of one predator with a variety of equipment there'd be a ship with several predators on it and each would have their own differently styled weapons and equipment to choose from so you could give the predators personality without wasting time having lots of cutscenes or revealing too much about them.

Instead we got Concrete Jungle and.....the Predator 1 and Predator 2 games that we did get which are insanely bad.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 14, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Darko posted:

I wonder if there's a way to find happy medium between the two.
Put Mr. X's hat on the alien. Perfect balance achieved.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alien videogames have been going down hill since the first one, which I remember playing on the 2600.

It was literally a pacman reskin lol

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I still think my favorite Alien game thing was the level in AvP Gold where they dumped you into a recreation of the Nostromo as an alien, populated it with NPC’s and was basically like “okay go be Alien as hell.”

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

I still think my favorite Alien game thing was the level in AvP Gold where they dumped you into a recreation of the Nostromo as an alien, populated it with NPC’s and was basically like “okay go be Alien as hell.”

That game fuckin' rules as the Alien and had some real intense moments as the marine. The Predator was kind of like, awesome but also a little too easy because you're the Predator with the Predator's equipment fighting FPS enemies from 1999.

The coolest thing about being the Alien was the mobility and speed in that game, it was completely unprecedented and not even the later AvP games let it be that fast. I loved hanging off the eve and archway or whatever and dropping onto people as they walked under it and the animations of people freaking out when they see you and stuff.

Great soundtrack too that took a lot from Alien, Alien 3, and Predator 2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Alien videogames have been going down hill since the first one, which I remember playing on the 2600.

It was literally a pacman reskin lol

Not just that, every other level was a Frogger clone for some reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Newest rumoring regarding the Alien series is that it's an animated mini-series based on Isolation:

https://observer.com/2019/02/alien-isolation-series-disney-fox-sale-box-office/

This would line up with the prior rumors about there being two different series being in development if one of them is a one-off kind of thing like this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ANN_Bamboo/status/1098721433780252672

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Young Christopher Lloyd and Anthony Hopkins running around in an Alien movie would've been a trip.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The standout there for me is that Jason Miller as Dallas would have been amazing. Nothing against the actual cast of course which is itself amazing and lightning in a bottle.

Tom Conti as Ash would have been a hilarious disaster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neo Rasa posted:

Tom Conti as Ash would have been a hilarious disaster.

Least of all because he’s an absolute arsehole.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

John Heard as Ash sounds pretty interesting

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

John Heard as Ash sounds pretty interesting

i could see it; him as gorman or burke would also be a good fit

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sam Elliot as someone called "Dallas" seems a bit on the nose.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

The standout there for me is that Jason Miller as Dallas would have been amazing. Nothing against the actual cast of course which is itself amazing and lightning in a bottle.

Jason Miller deserved a better acting career, although it seems like maybe he just preferred theater, he certainly spent a lot of time there. I'd have loved to see him get one more of those iconic memorable roles like with Father Karras, maybe a role in Alien would've done that. His wiki page says that he turned down the lead in Taxi Driver.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kinda mad i didn’t get to see Joe Don Baker rassle a xeno now

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fart City posted:

Kinda mad i didn’t get to see Joe Don Baker rassle a xeno now
Heart's pounding
Chest's bursting
MITCHELL!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Payndz posted:

Heart's pounding
Chest's bursting
MITCHELL!

He was at one point on the list to play James Bond. Like I know producers are stupid but :lol: how, he played a villain and Liter at different points later on though so he sort of made it in anyway.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

He was at one point on the list to play James Bond. Like I know producers are stupid but :lol: how, he played a villain and Liter at different points later on though so he sort of made it in anyway.

"Hello 007, ironic that you would fall into my trap and - "

Is thrown out of window

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Baker never played Leiter. He was Jack Wade in GoldenEye, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timby posted:

Baker never played Leiter. He was Jack Wade in GoldenEye, though.

Only because Felux got his legs eaten. Same character really to be fair (just that Wade was more stereotypical Anerican).

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I want to see a what a catomorph would look like sorry kitty.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Doesn’t give a gently caress and sleeps all day. The worst Xenonorph form.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DropsySufferer posted:

Do panthermorphs count?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

DropsySufferer posted:

The catomorph is the primary antagonist in Alien 3.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dienes posted:

Do panthermorphs count?

Was at a con over the weekend that had a bunch of those old Aliens toys for cheap, but they didn’t have the gorilla Alien with the blue face hugger. Did see the sweet, bright green, mantis Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DropsySufferer posted:

What is the writing quality for this book like? The premise for the book sounded extremely good so I’m interested.

It's fantastic. You have a great conflict between two central and rapidly different characters, and watching them butt heads in the chaos is really something else.

Xenomrph posted:

Hicks and Newt survived in the original ‘Aliens’ sequel comics, and Ripley is nowhere to be found (at least until volume 3).
The narrative makes it work - Hicks has mental and physical scars from his ordeal and has some bad PTSD, but gets roped back into things similarly to how Ripley was in ‘Aliens’. Newt gravitates Hicks as a father figure because she has nowhere else to go, and Ripley is just... gone.

Also the Xeno gets to earth and in the midst of a corporate cold war gets loose and obliterates the entire loving planet. Hicks and Newt manage to escape on a ship routed for a remote military base where a general is trying to train the xenos into soldiers to retake earth. it's loving amazing and the fact that it didn't wind up Alien 3 is a travesty. Honestly, making Cold Forge and then Outbreak & Nightmare Asylum the third and fourth movies would have been a far better series than where we're at now.