Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ubisoft games are made by huge numbers of people in multiple teams; it's pretty much always gonna end up a bit disjointed. i thought they handled that pretty well in origins though--every city has a different focus and everything revolves around that focus, which justifies the different tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Origins and Odyssey had different directors, for one.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Sandepande posted:

Origins and Odyssey had different directors, for one.

And one is a better game because it had loving shields for that sweet hoplon life

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like both, but definitely felt like Origins had the better setting and theme going for it. I like the characters and the overall writing of Odyssey better, and I think the ship stuff is some of the best in an AC game yet. For better or worse though it almost feels like a spin-off game in how disconnected it is from anything actually Assassin related.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I think the lack of internal Egyptian war in Origins helps the setting feel more unified than the sharply divided (often by sea) Greece of Odyssey. Certainly not the only factor but I'd say it's among them.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

ubisoft games are made by huge numbers of people in multiple teams; it's pretty much always gonna end up a bit disjointed. i thought they handled that pretty well in origins though--every city has a different focus and everything revolves around that focus, which justifies the different tone

Yeah that's probably true. I think it came across more sharply in Odyssey than in previous games because of the number of weird systems they've crammed into it (which, make no mistake, I like a lot and hope they develop in the next game).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

A critical question: poison or fire?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Poison if stabmans, fire if clubmans, either if shootmans.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What about spear?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

poisonpill posted:

What about spear?

I would say either.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
If they ever gonna add a discovery mode similar to that of Origins I hope the tour guide voice is a very excited Barnabas

admataY fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 15, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

admataY posted:

If they ever gonna add a discovery mode similar to that of Origins I hope the tour guide voice is a very exited Barnabas

The Parthenon was the crown jewel of Athenian construction, designed and built over the cours-- HOLY loving poo poo SIX PIECES OF OLIVE WOOD.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

After 35 hours I'm getting really burned out on the game.
The gameplay is pretty fun, they copy ideas from Witcher 3/MGSV/Shadow of War left and right and even thought their implementation is pretty half-arsed it ends up being reasonably entertaining but the gameplay stays the same and the story is boring as poo poo and does nothing about the fact that you're doing the same poo poo over and over for way WAY too long.

I don't regret the time I spent on it, it was quite fun, but I do regret buying the Season Pass because even the main game is already bloated.

Roughly same place, but not because I have many criticisms of the game other than the kind of niggling crap you get with any one, thing or place you spend a full week with. Time for toys to be put back in the box though. Its still a super fun dick around sandbox to visit. Deliberately leaving it unfinished to give me a proper purpose when playing again. Don't care what reviewers say, I've got every penny out of this game. 150 hrs in earnest and got it £50, 30p an hour and really loved every minute of it and it got me more animated and fanboyish than I would a movie or netflix say. Probably another 50 hours of farting around and replay in the future. Got more than my money's worth and you can't say that about AAA games too often without being a lying liarson.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

admataY posted:

If they ever gonna add a discovery mode similar to that of Origins I hope the tour guide voice is a very excited Barnabas

Brief bits of dialogue between Barnabas, Socrates, and Democritus.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Oh poo poo, if you didn't wrap the Athenian quests before the plague, you can't finish them?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can go back eventually.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
What I want for Discovery mode is for the "You completed every tour!" reward to be an Ikaros skin that's on fire.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just bring back Mass Effect codex guy from the last Discovery Tour. The lady voice was okay too but Mass Effect codex guy was an absolutely pro-tier choice for Discovery tour mk 1.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Hey I just finished the Atlantis odyssey and what the gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am genuinely curious what gameplay stuff they are fixing/redoing for this? i assume its naval combat and some of the stealth/chase missions.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

spoilers because WHAT

DAD IS PYTHAGORAS? ATLANTIS? this game gives no fucks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It’s pretty incongruent to the rest of the story.

...I’ll see myself out

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

skooma512 posted:

It’s pretty incongruent to the rest of the story.

...I’ll see myself out

Quit being such a tri hard :downsrim:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One could say his motives were quite... irrational.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

spoilers because WHAT

You mean the genius ascetic mystic oddball who would describe himself as a demi-god? I'm reading A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell and its at the Greeks and holy moley if they had to shoehorn a magic-but-not-magic-actually-science character as a real person from greek history that certainly was the right angle. (I really shoulda listened to it on audiobook while playing the game, these chapters are tour mode. It really was a little neighbourhood of different beliefs within spitting distance of each other, its not like the game had to make a variety of different lands, it was all pretty much happening like that. Spartans, how they saw themselves and how more liberal greeks saw spartans is really interesting to me.)

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

spoilers because WHAT

wit posted:

that certainly was the right angle.

:master:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Those are acutely good drat son

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
I’m so triggered.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone have any problems getting legendary armor off cultists? I killed that fucker Elpinor before I got the quest to do so and he didn't drop the chest piece. I did that a while ago, but he still isn't lootable now.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Got this game for christmas, working my way through it and the thread slowly. I'm at Thermopylae right now, and I recall someone earlier in the thread saying that once you hit Andros, you have pretty much everything unlocked to go piss around in. Am I remembering that right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Got this game for christmas, working my way through it and the thread slowly. I'm at Thermopylae right now, and I recall someone earlier in the thread saying that once you hit Andros, you have pretty much everything unlocked to go piss around in. Am I remembering that right?

Yes, Andros is where you want to go before visiting Athens so that you can begin upgrading the spear. Technically Attika is like a level 16-18 zone but by the time I finished the Symposium I was at level 23, just from doing all the sidequests in each region I visited and points of interest if they were easy.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, I am sidequesting hard as well after Naxos. Main problem right now is that I feel I should take a good look on the gear that I have and prioritize some engravings rather than others: I am suddenly taking a fuckton of damage from fire/poison and some enemies are being surprisingly tough, so I figure this is a good point to twink this part because I didn't pay much attention to equipment other than dps/armor. Any major suggestions to what to look for?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Man gently caress that Kalydonian Boar.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I am sidequesting hard as well after Naxos. Main problem right now is that I feel I should take a good look on the gear that I have and prioritize some engravings rather than others: I am suddenly taking a fuckton of damage from fire/poison and some enemies are being surprisingly tough, so I figure this is a good point to twink this part because I didn't pay much attention to equipment other than dps/armor. Any major suggestions to what to look for?

Fire/Poison are always the worst and you should just accept they're gonna wreck you. Upgrade the healing spell and prioritize enemies who use them?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

This is a great game but I don't get why the naval combat in Odessey is so much less fun than in Black Flag, where it was pretty much identical?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

This is a great game but I don't get why the naval combat in Odessey is so much less fun than in Black Flag, where it was pretty much identical?

It has no cannons that go boom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The naval combat is a lot more fun (and faster!) when you focus on ramming and javelins over arrows. Lieutenants who give you fire buildup from javelins and more fire damage are aces.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's because you can fire arrows and javelins in pretty much any direction that isn't literally straight ahead or behind, so there's very little need to do any dodging or weaving. You just repeatedly attack and occasionally time braces until the fight ends.

Also boarding is incredibly boring. You just jump from one featureless platform to another in order to have a fight that's indistinguishable from any other fight in the game, in comparison to Kenway swinging on a rope through smoke and gunfire to air assassinate 2 guys, shoot 2 more, then ride a cable up to a mast platform and take out another guy.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I haven't played an Assassin's Creed since the first one, but the new ones really look excellent and I like both their settings. Egypt and Greece look stunning! Can I just jump straight into Odyssey or is there a reason to start with Origins?

I think I'd enjoy the RPG elements in Odyssey quite a lot and I love the idea of playing a kickass lady. Dialogue choices and playing around with loot are something I dig as well (I'm basically looking for a Witcher light). I think Egypt looks a little cooler however, and I heard there's a new overarching story chapter which begins with Origins, do I miss out on anything or is Origins a stronger start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I’m about halfway through Origins right now, but played Odyssey first, and you can very safely play them in whatever order you like.

There’s very little “ancient story” connection between them, and the “modern story” is almost non-existent, with terrible voice acting and nothing happening that a person could care about.

That said, Origins definitely has a tighter focus; Odyssey is very much “Let’s make the world so much wider!!!” with all of the benefits and drawbacks inherent in that decision.