Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm rereading cold days for the first time since it came out, and I haven't read ant Dresden since skin game released probably.

Anyway there's a line in it where he mentioned Maeve sending her handmaiden to gently caress up his friends in their wedding day and I was trying to remember who that would be and what book?

It was one of the short stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Proteus Jones posted:

It was one of the short stories.

Gah

Do you remember which collection

Edit looks like Something Borrowed from Side Jobs, Will and Georgia's wedding

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 7, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear Jim gimme a short story set before Cold Days about Sarissa and Mab hanging out thanks love Dickeye

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dear Jim gimme a short story set before Cold Days about Sarissa and Mab hanging out thanks love Dickeye

Yeah, sure. He'll get right on that right after he starts writing Peace Talks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You realize he started that one ages ago, right? Like...we've gotten an excerpt and everything

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Yeah, it’s in the same status as Winds of Winter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drone Jett posted:

Yeah, it’s in the same status as Winds of Winter.

Technically speaking, at least the tv writers have finished *a* version of WoW.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

There's a post on the website that basically says "it's been a couple crazy fuckin years here, my bad" and I choose to believe him that things like getting divorced and remarried and moving and poo poo eat into time to write

At least he's not blogging about the bears every week

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Finished the Hum and The Shiver and cannot recommend it. I suppose its rural fantasy, might not belong in this thread. A well-written novel that makes a bunch of mistakes and the book loves to tell you how promiscuous the protagonist is. It's so bad that I thought I was reading a bad romance novel.

The tufa are mysterious, but without anything to ground them or to create a base set of rules, they seem to gain powers as the plot demands.

Guess I'll read the Laundry Files next, thats a good series right?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Exmond posted:

Guess I'll read the Laundry Files next, thats a good series right?

It's intermittently great, good, and not-so-good.

Charles Stross is a good writer, but he also likes to experiment and gets bored easily, so for a while each of the laundry files books was written in a different style to satirize a different genre: book one is "What if the X-files had an IT department?", book 2 is "What if James Bond, but Lovecraft?", etc. After a while he dropped the pastiche, and that was also fine. But sometimes they don't stick the landing on a cohesive theme (Book 6: "What if superheroes, but also feminism and clinical depression?") or are just kind of weird (Book 7: "I unno, maybe some elves and poo poo?").

I like the first 3 books a lot.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Oh dang I didn't know Starz was doing a Rook series. Neat. Good.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Deathlove posted:

gently caress guess I’m getting Starz

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deathlove posted:

I lost all interest when Stephanie Meyer was involved.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just went thru a re-listen of the Rivers of London series...and I skipped the Hanging Tree because I actively disliked it first time around. So, I decided to go back and give it a chance. Nope. Bad book.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I lost all interest when Stephanie Meyer was involved.

Good news! https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/the-rook-why-stephenie-meyer-left-olivia-munn-therapy-1202043698/

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

And instead we find out that Olivia Munn thinks that crystals and magnets make her injuries heal quicker. I'm not sure who's worse.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tornhelm posted:

And instead we find out that Olivia Munn thinks that crystals and magnets make her injuries heal quicker. I'm not sure who's worse.

Well one person would actively ruin every aspect of what makes the books great and the other will play with shiny rocks in between takes.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

"Aldrich needs to be more sparkly. Also, I think we need a love triangle between Gestalt, Myfanwy, and Gestalt."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just got the email that book 10 of Alex Verus is slated for late September. I can't loving wait. :toot:

Been a while since I took a day to read a book, and I might do just that.

Really hoping we get more on his relationship with Caldera and a bit more Vari and Luna this time around.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just got the email that book 10 of Alex Verus is slated for late September. I can't loving wait. :toot:

Been a while since I took a day to read a book, and I might do just that.

Really hoping we get more on his relationship with Caldera and a bit more Vari and Luna this time around.

I have some Anne news for you.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hells bells

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone read Jade City? Amazon is trying to hawk it to me for one euro and at that price I'm willing to take the plunge, but still...

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I read it when it came out and I enjoyed it. The magic system is kinda cool.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone read Jade City? Amazon is trying to hawk it to me for one euro and at that price I'm willing to take the plunge, but still...

Your answer to the question "wouldn't it be great if somebody crossed the Godfather with wuxia?" will answer the question "would I like to read Jade City?"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Hey just an FYI as of a couple days ago the Peace Talks draft is at chapter 46. We might get a 2019 release date assuming the editing process isn't too crazy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I would shitcan that draft at the first typo I saw if it took this many years for the writer to turn it in.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Probably a good thing you're not an editor, then.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Rook Official Trailer.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

That seems to miss the mark on how unabashedly bonkers dumb the book revels in being.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, I only read it not long after it came out and still haven't got round to Stilleto, but I remember it being a lot more.....fun than that looks. Despite the plot borrowing heavily from Bourne, it wasn't really a spy pastiche in tone.

I mean, was it pure comedy in parts or am I misremembering?

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 9, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Junkenstein posted:

I mean, was it pure comedy in parts or am I misremembering?

Naw, you're remembering correctly, it's definitely got a lot of overtly farcical elements.

The end of the book with the main bad guy gloatingly revealing his evil master-plan in detail, when the protagonist just spent the entire book carefully dismantling said plan piece by piece because the main bad guy accidentally miscalculated and spent an extra week in suspended animation and hasn't stopped to check his emails yet is one of the finest long-game jokes I've ever seen in fiction.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, all the stuff in the trailer is also in the book. It is, after all, a book about someone who got murdered and then a new persona that arose in the body is trying to not get killed again, while trying to blend into a secret organization, while also trying to investigate her own murder and fighting terrorism at the same time.

I feel it's a bit too early to say whether they completely blew the more light-hearted bits or whether they just chose to focus on the more 'exciting' stuff for the first trailer.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
From what I remember of The Rook, most of the comedy was in the writing, not plot events. Just going by what happens in the book would make for a pretty serious-faced UF series.

That being said, the trailer seems boring as hell and utterly charmless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

"Abilities only possible at the extreme edge of human biology." The book includes a freaking vampire and a person who can fly without wings. I'm pretty sure this one line tells us everything we need to know about how much attention they paid to the book.

The trailer also seems to have missed the huge personality change in Myfanwy that took place in the book. The sudden transformation from retiring and easily controlled nerd to murderously assertive super spy boss is admittedly understated in the writing since the new personality doesn't realize how much she diverged from her old one but it's a pretty key element in why everyone kept underestimating her even after she survived multiple assassination attempts.

I'll probably still give it a try as long as it comes out on one of the streaming services.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LLSix posted:

I'll probably still give it a try as long as it comes out on one of the streaming services.

It's on Starz. It won't be.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wait until all the episodes have aired, then binge it during a free Starz trial on Amazon.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

anilEhilated posted:

From what I remember of The Rook, most of the comedy was in the writing, not plot events. Just going by what happens in the book would make for a pretty serious-faced UF series.

It's this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't know. The whole bit with the dragon would be pretty funny.

From the pompous kid getting eaten to the kinetic bombardment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Most of what makes the Rook work is Myfanwy's internal monologue/dialogue with her past self. It'll be really hard to translate that to screen. I'm glad the author got a payday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'd rather see a third book, hopefully from Myfanwy's point of view again, because The Rook was completely amazing. Not really expecting much from this series, but could always be surprised I guess.