Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
"Making vaccines a partisan issue is unspeakably dangerous because the liberal establishment will suddenly become powerless to fight it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Trending:

#BringBackChildhoodDiseases

700 trillion retweets

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
love 2 die to easily preventable illnesses not because of lack to medical care but because i am actively too goddamn stubborn and stupid to use it because ~a u t i s m s~

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

love 2 die to easily preventable illnesses not because of lack to medical care but because i am actively too goddamn stubborn and stupid to use it because ~a u t i s m s~

I've come to realize that anyone who jumps to "I'm autistic" as an excuse for stuff is either a) not autistic, or b) the autism isn't actually the reason they're a giant piece of poo poo it's just a good umbrella. They'd be just as bad without the 'tism.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i meant more in the sense that hte parents would rather have a dead or crippled child than potentially have one with some level of autism, not that the parents are autists themselves

unless i misunderstood your post because i'm autistic :ironicat::hf::spergin::hf::thejoke:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

i meant more in the sense that hte parents would rather have a dead or crippled child than potentially have one with some level of autism, not that the parents are autists themselves

unless i misunderstood your post because i'm autistic :ironicat::hf::spergin::hf::thejoke:

I may have misread that, yeah. I agree.

Also autism parents are the worst loving scourge on this goddamn planet. loving pieces of poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
those diseases dont just kill kids, but also leave them maimed with chronic health problems. olde timey families dealt with that by locking those children in their attics where they can be the family secret uncle

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I've never met an anti-vaxxer in person, but if I do I would love to introduce them to my disabled uncle who contracted polio as a child growing up in Vietnam. We're so incredibly lucky in this country to not have to see the loving terrible effects of preventable diseases.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kitfox88 posted:

But it's the kids that die and they don't have a choice.

plester1 posted:

I've never met an anti-vaxxer in person, but if I do I would love to introduce them to my disabled uncle who contracted polio as a child growing up in Vietnam. We're so incredibly lucky in this country to not have to see the loving terrible effects of preventable diseases.

Where do you live because I bet there's a total loving idiot lives there too, it knows no borders.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Where do you live because I bet there's a total loving idiot lives there too, it knows no borders.

Oh I know they’re all over the place, I live in Washington, the same state where the drat outbreak is happening. I’ve just never had a personal interaction with someone whose been openly antivax. A lot of my social circles are people that come from places that have desperately needed vaccines in recent history.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

ikanreed posted:

Lol it's gonna own when vaccine denial, already a slightly conservative phenomenon blamed on the left becomes another climate change, where it's a point of order for one side to doom the human race and the media does a both sides.

The media have been pathologically both-sidesing the vaccine issue for more than 20 years now, ever since Andrew Wakefield's "study" was published. It's less rampant now than it was in the early 2000s, but I think that's largely because they moved on to irresponsibly elevating other fringe groups to the mainstream.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

The media have been pathologically both-sidesing the vaccine issue for more than 20 years now, ever since Andrew Wakefield's "study" was published. It's less rampant now than it was in the early 2000s, but I think that's largely because they moved on to irresponsibly elevating other fringe groups to the mainstream.

they've been more interested in both sidesing climate change, probably because there is more money in it

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!
Plus climate change denialism gives them the opportunity to suck up to our corporate lords and masters.

I think the MMR debacle may have been more prominent in the British media, who absolutely love a good health scare.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not sure if I hallucinated it or not, did an anti-vaxxer say the old diseases wearnt deadly cause all the people they've met survived it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I'm not sure if I hallucinated it or not, did an anti-vaxxer say the old diseases wearnt deadly cause all the people they've met survived it

Yes. It’s the same blindness that causes those boomer memes about how kids today are wimps because they grew up eating garbage, not wearing seatbelts, drinking from the hose, and playing in lead-contaminated dirt, but turned out fine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The cool thing about vaccines causing autism is that even if it were true, take your pick: would you rather your kid get polio and whooping cough, or spend 100 hours editing an anime wiki?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

The cool thing about vaccines causing autism is that even if it were true, take your pick: would you rather your kid get polio and whooping cough, or spend 100 hours editing an anime wiki?

gotta think about this tbh

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Modern people don't really understand just how horrible infectious disease was for the entirety of human history until vaccines were invented because it's been so many generations since we've really seen the effects in the first world. They rationally know it's bad, but the worst they or anyone else they know is something like the flu and that's fine isn't it? And if you did catch something bad it was probably your fault, right? They can't internalize that people - children and adults - used to get scarred, crippled, blinded, or killed just by happening to be in the vicinity of an infectious disease. I'm not sure anything will really solve this sort of mindset except another severe pandemic that affects a noticeable percentage of the population and forces them to admit they have to do something to protect their family from infections, like with you're seeing with measles in certain areas now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Wait, do I get to choose which anime?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Asimo posted:

Modern people don't really understand just how horrible infectious disease was for the entirety of human history until vaccines were invented because it's been so many generations since we've really seen the effects in the first world. They rationally know it's bad, but the worst they or anyone else they know is something like the flu and that's fine isn't it? And if you did catch something bad it was probably your fault, right? They can't internalize that people - children and adults - used to get scarred, crippled, blinded, or killed just by happening to be in the vicinity of an infectious disease. I'm not sure anything will really solve this sort of mindset except another severe pandemic that affects a noticeable percentage of the population and forces them to admit they have to do something to protect their family from infections, like with you're seeing with measles in certain areas now.

I predict a horrible 50-100 year cycle of vaccines and anti vaxxers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

you don't, it's every anime you hate

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

well, it would be nice to have a kid who does more with their life than i do

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Halloween Jack posted:

Also all your neighbor's kids because you caused a vector of infection

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yes. It’s the same blindness that causes those boomer memes about how kids today are wimps because they grew up eating garbage, not wearing seatbelts, drinking from the hose, and playing in lead-contaminated dirt, but turned out fine.

That rules, literal survival bias.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Torn between laughing at the sports apparel guy going out of business and reconciling the horror of the massive monopoly of Nike where refusing to carry its product carries the strong likelihood of destroying your business.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

about 20 years ago when this poo poo first started my mom didn't want me to get the hepatitis series cause she thought it might affect me. I was 16 and had all vaccinations up to that point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Randalor posted:

It's your favourite anime, but they know more about it than you do.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Truga posted:

you don't, it's every anime you hate

ah, all of them then.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

I predict a horrible 50-100 year cycle of vaccines and anti vaxxers.
If there's a war between people who use vaccines and people who don't, it ain't gonna last 50 years.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ah, all of them then.

You hate DuckTales?!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Asimo posted:

except the method they choose to protect their family from infections is essential oils

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Avirosb posted:

You hate DuckTales?!

The new one? Probably, never seen it but hate the art style.

OG Duck Tales was the loving bomb.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Also all your neighbor's kids because you caused a vector of infection

whole lot of polio-affected kids editing a wide variety of wikis both gamepedia and fandom

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

The new one? Probably, never seen it but hate the art style.

OG Duck Tales was the loving bomb.

My G :hf:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Listen to the full uncut theme song, dude gets INTO it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rmwUiSi2LA

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:stare: You aren't kidding

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

:stare: You aren't kidding

If you haven't heard the full Cheers theme turn your loving speakers up, it's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVRzh4_j50

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

That poo poo slaps, son

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

That poo poo slaps, son

drat right it does

this slaps even harder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DnqW3F57E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Volcott posted:

Does it count as buying American if it's a Extremely Japanese company but the car is assembled in Greensburg, Indiana?

Always weird to see my little city mentioned on the internet.