Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

(I'm that idiot who flies her)

Same :hfive: I love flying Inferno Squadron + 1-2 other ships. The synergy between the 4 just makes it fun, and it feels like flying an actual squadron rather than a pile of TIEs that just happen to be flying near each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Same :hfive: I love flying Inferno Squadron + 1-2 other ships. The synergy between the 4 just makes it fun, and it feels like flying an actual squadron rather than a pile of TIEs that just happen to be flying near each other.

Agreed. When I see an Inferno type list, I always think how loving cool it is and I wish I had the balls to fly it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm going to Try Dutchess with Iden/Howlrunner/Gideon/Seyn this Saturday at a small tournament

So i'll probably lose but have fun doing it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

enigmahfc posted:

I'm going to Try Dutchess with Iden/Howlrunner/Gideon/Seyn this Saturday at a small tournament

Pretty solid in hyperspace, probably trash in Extended.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
I'm pretty new and have been trying to do 5 TIEs (w/ Howlrunner but no Iden) and a TIE Reaper.

A big challenge for me is figuring out exactly what to do with the Reaper (bait? stay back until the exact right moment and swoop in?) in light of obstacles and avoiding my own ships. I'm not good formations yet so there's a lot of bumping.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galact...20Squadron&obs=

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

That looks like fun to fly! Seyn with Marksmanship + Gideon is a solid pair, with Howl guiding them and Iden protecting one of them you’ll likely trade up (or go down in flames).

What EPT goes well with Pure Sabaac or Countdown? I’ve got a shield upgrade on him to try and keep his pilot ability alive long enough for him to use it once, but I haven’t had much luck in finding a favorite EPT. Juke didn’t trigger across 2 games, I couldn’t get Predator to trigger, and Marksmanship seems like a wash there.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Icon Of Sin posted:

That looks like fun to fly! Seyn with Marksmanship + Gideon is a solid pair, with Howl guiding them and Iden protecting one of them you’ll likely trade up (or go down in flames).

What EPT goes well with Pure Sabaac or Countdown? I’ve got a shield upgrade on him to try and keep his pilot ability alive long enough for him to use it once, but I haven’t had much luck in finding a favorite EPT. Juke didn’t trigger across 2 games, I couldn’t get Predator to trigger, and Marksmanship seems like a wash there.

Outmaneuver.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nothing, swap it for a bomb.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

I fly Pure Sabacc with Fifth Brother, Shield Upgrade, and Elusive. I'm usually able to keep his ability alive until the endgame with that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Nothing, swap it for a bomb.

My thoughts exactly. I love Proximity Bombs because they just hang out being foreboding and loving with everyone's maneuvers or get shat right on top of an enemy.
And this is Hyperspace, and I know at least one knobjob will be bringing 3 Upsilons.

“Duchess” — TIE/sk Striker 42
Proximity Mines 6
Shield Upgrade 6
Ship Total: 54
Half Points: 27 Threshold: 3

Iden Versio — TIE/ln Fighter 40
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 41
Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

“Howlrunner” — TIE/ln Fighter 40
Swarm Tactics 3
Ship Total: 43
Half Points: 22 Threshold: 2

Seyn Marana — TIE/ln Fighter 30
Marksmanship 1
Ship Total: 31
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Gideon Hask — TIE/ln Fighter 30
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 31
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I know at least one knobjob will be bringing 3 Upsilons.

While 3Ups is nowhere near as broken or degenerate as anything from the end of first edition, I still hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.

The person running it doesn't have to try to win, because the default state is "I win." They simply have to try not to lose. It's really hard to gently caress up playing 3Ups, but it's really easy to gently caress up playing against it.

Any list like that is, frankly, bullshit.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

While 3Ups is nowhere near as broken or degenerate as anything from the end of first edition, I still hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.

The person running it doesn't have to try to win, because the default state is "I win." They simply have to try not to lose. It's really hard to gently caress up playing 3Ups, but it's really easy to gently caress up playing against it.

Any list like that is, frankly, bullshit.

I have yet to play against it, what is the strategy to beat it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

I have yet to play against it, what is the strategy to beat it?

In the listbuilding stage, you can
a) Have two or more ships that place after it (the list typically has a ~5 point bid and places at i6)
b) Have four or more ships total
c) Fly a TIE Swarm with Iden

All of those are pretty hard counters to 3Ups

If you didn't do that, all is not lost. However, you have an uphill battle. You'll probably lose a ship in the early game, and it's hard to chip through their huge health + reinforce with just two ships. Triple Upsilons, despite the crazy alpha strike, tends to win on time.

A few tips:
a) Don't even bother trying to hurt them on round 1. The two in the lead will have a crazy token stack along the lines of Focus/Evade/Evade/Reinforce. Luckily, they can't repeat this and tend to have 1-2 tokens max from round 2 on.
b) Your primary goal is to ensure that none of your ships can be shot by more than one of them.
c) Ships with SLAM (including Black One) may be able to avoid them entirely.
d) If the 3Ups don't have collision detector try to place your rocks at about range 2.75 from your board edge, and set up behind them, so the ups have to hit the rocks to hit you. But any 3Ups list without collision detector is suboptimal anyway.
e) Don't spread your ships too far out. You want to trade one of your ships for positioning for your other ships.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

In the listbuilding stage, you can
a) Have two or more ships that place after it (the list typically has a ~5 point bid and places at i6)
b) Have four or more ships total
c) Fly a TIE Swarm with Iden

All of those are pretty hard counters to 3Ups

If you didn't do that, all is not lost. However, you have an uphill battle. You'll probably lose a ship in the early game, and it's hard to chip through their huge health + reinforce with just two ships. Triple Upsilons, despite the crazy alpha strike, tends to win on time.

A few tips:
a) Don't even bother trying to hurt them on round 1. The two in the lead will have a crazy token stack along the lines of Focus/Evade/Evade/Reinforce. Luckily, they can't repeat this and tend to have 1-2 tokens max from round 2 on.
b) Your primary goal is to ensure that none of your ships can be shot by more than one of them.
c) Ships with SLAM (including Black One) may be able to avoid them entirely.
d) If the 3Ups don't have collision detector try to place your rocks at about range 2.75 from your board edge, and set up behind them, so the ups have to hit the rocks to hit you. But any 3Ups list without collision detector is suboptimal anyway.
e) Don't spread your ships too far out. You want to trade one of your ships for positioning for your other ships.

Thanks for the tip.
I plan on taking Lando/Wedge/Dutch this weekend and expect at least one of the triple Upsilon lists to show up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpRxxV5cxc

Here's a video to help visualize triple ups setups, opening moves, and arcs.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
There are a few lists that can straight up joust triple ups if you want to simplify your life: 5 Gray Y with Ion and four veteran gunners; tie Swarms with iden; Old Teroch, Fenn, Seevor, Ahavv.

The last one, all have fearless, if you get into range 1, it's decent odds of straight up PS killing one. (Edit: 86%, not including crits)

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 13, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

There are a few lists that can straight up joust triple ups if you want to simplify your life: 5 Gray Y with Ion and four veteran gunners; tie Swarms with iden; Old Teroch, Fenn, Seevor, Ahavv.

The last one, all have fearless, if you get into range 1, it's decent odds of straight up PS killing one. (Edit: 86%, not including crits)

Teroch really fucks them up, it's hilarious.

5 Strikers + Wampa also has a really good time, mostly through sheer weight of numbers. Sure they lose a striker before it shoots, but then there are still 4-5 ships left and they're all behind those lumbering space cows.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I usually fly Soontir, Duchess and Rexler, and I'm thinking that my go-to strat if I happen to see Triple Upsilons will be to just position my little guys sideways, right near the bottom edge, and just fly along the bottom edge first round, while they not manage to do anything with their tokens.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are Trip Ups the new Jumpmaster 15K?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

AndyElusive posted:

Are Trip Ups the new Jumpmaster 15K?

In many ways, yeah. A gatekeeper list that requires very few decisions.

Coolstuffinc has TIE reapers on sale this week for $18

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I want at least two more Inty aces, geez

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want there to be an equivalent of Soontir, Turr, and Tetran from 1e, complete with top skill, stealth devices, and the other fun things about every turn potentially being your last. 9 hull, no shields, no problems :black101:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bring back carnor jax

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

banned from Starbucks posted:

bring back carnor jax

Hell yeah, but make him force sensitive and maybe have his ability trigger off his bullseye instead of R1

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Even by just getting the attention of the royal guards, you hosed up bad.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So is there any way to load out the Kihraxz to make it playable? Talonbane's ability is great but the everything else about the ship isn't anything to write home about.

I've been trying and nothing really seems to be worth it. I also have no idea why it has 3 mod slots and what to do with them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Even by just getting the attention of the royal guards, you hosed up bad.

All I want to know is if they flew in their robed garb.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Iceclaw posted:

All I want to know is if they flew in their robed garb.

Probably.

I mean, someone flew an interceptor while also wearing an ewok puppet

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

So is there any way to load out the Kihraxz to make it playable? Talonbane's ability is great but the everything else about the ship isn't anything to write home about.

I've been trying and nothing really seems to be worth it. I also have no idea why it has 3 mod slots and what to do with them.

The best Kihraxz is the cheapest one, naked. They're great filler, and five of them is not top tier, but it's not far behind that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Are they s-tier? steer? tears for fears?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Are they s-tier? steer? tears for fears?

Tears for Fears is Fenn/Teroch/Seevor/Ahaav all with fearless.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
All around me are familiar wangs, worn out wangs?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Everybody wants to rule the meta

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

bunnyofdoom posted:

Everybody wants to rule the meta

Don't take my wangs don't break my wangs don't throw them away

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Tears for Fears is Fenn/Teroch/Seevor/Ahaav all with fearless.

Aren't Seevor's ability and Fearless kind of anti-synergistic?

I like this grouping but why doesn't it get shot up against trip-upsilon?

Fake edit: I didn't realize just how slow upsilons were, init wise. No one in my area plays them afaik but there's big talk of people being afraid of it

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 14, 2019

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

Don't take my wangs don't break my wangs don't throw them away

Shout
Shout
Let it all out
These are the blanks I can do without
Come on
I'm talking to you
Come on

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Teroch strips all their tokens. Then the massed Fearless attacks just wreck them. Something like an 86% chance to kill one outright before it shoots.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Aren't Seevor's ability and Fearless kind of anti-synergistic?

Fake edit: I didn't realize just how slow upsilons were, init wise. No one in my area plays them afaik but there's big talk of people being afraid of it

Seevor and Fearless are fine, you use Seevor to nuker tokens from ships you're not currently jousting.

ConfusedUs posted:

Teroch strips all their tokens. Then the massed Fearless attacks just wreck them. Something like an 86% chance to kill one outright before it shoots.

So what do they do when the Ups set up for the charge to the board edge, and instead do 1 banks and they can't make range 1?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

So what do they do when the Ups set up for the charge to the board edge, and instead do 1 banks and they can't make range 1?

Rejoice because you've already won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Then they're not getting target locks off. The fangs can both still boost into range 1 (using the angled boost, the straight boost is borderline on vassal). The TIEs can just focus up.

If the Ups deploy forwards then the only way Teroch isn't getting range 1 is if they full stop. Then the fangs are in range 3, and the Ups are stressed for their next engagement. If you're a wily player on turn zero then you can put rocks/debris in the zone that they want to deploy in and if they fullstop they'll need to burn a collision charge on top of that.

The main problem with the list is not "What if the Ups do...?"; it's how does the list fare against any other hyperspace list. I don't think it's a meta list, considering I just made it up as a thought exercise to see if anything to kill an Up on the joust.