Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
As far as gameplay elements they showed everything I couldve wanted for Mario Maker 2. So itd be stuff like world maps and better searching options.

Maybe Charging Chucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has there ever been a money-pit quite like Crackdown 3? I mean in terms of RoI, because the game is already getting hammered in reviews and I doubt there was a clamoring fan-base out there for it anyways. The closest I can think of is FFXV.

A little part of me can't believe that project wasn't canned years ago, but I guess it might be a pride thing for Microsoft.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does it still use the power of The Cloud?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

Has there ever been a money-pit quite like Crackdown 3? I mean in terms of RoI, because the game is already getting hammered in reviews and I doubt there was a clamoring fan-base out there for it anyways. The closest I can think of is FFXV.

A little part of me can't believe that project wasn't canned years ago, but I guess it might be a pride thing for Microsoft.

The answer to all questions of this type is Star Citizen. $200 million for a fake game that doesn't work.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The answer to all questions of this type is Star Citizen. $200 million for a fake game that doesn't work.

Haha yes I suppose if you include crowd-funding that's definitely the answer.

I guess you just expect a massive company like Microsoft to be a bit more choosy with their investments than Joe Schmoe kickstarter user.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PantsBandit posted:

It's reviewing worse than Jump Force, which makes sense. At least Jump Force is giving everybody some good chuckles. It makes you feel good about yourself.

It feels like February is cursed game month, with the exception of a few titles.

And Anthem, which literally cannot fail. There's too much riding on that game for Bioware it is too big to fail.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 14, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I guess you just expect a massive company like Microsoft to be a bit more choosy with their investments than Joe Schmoe kickstarter user.

they're incredibly choosy with their investments

they just choose wrong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Haha yes I suppose if you include crowd-funding that's definitely the answer.

The internal politics for this stuff can be pretty complicated

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
FFXV wasnt unprofitable or a bad game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

FFXV wasnt unprofitable or a bad game.

I never said it was a bad game but it was a colossal financial undertaking by SE. I did some googling though and it appears you're right that they did end up turning a profit on it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

axelblaze posted:

Tetris 99 is annoyingly low effort (basis bland graphics, online only, single so-so Tetris remix for music, single mode, very few options, classic game with current trend pasted on) and it's especially annoying because it is still SO loving GOOD.

It being free helps, though I'd honestly have paid for it.

It is a really good companion to Tetris Effect because other than controlling well and being Tetris, one does perfectly what the other lacks and vice versa. Tetris Effect is still the better game, but it's also way more expensive and has pretty much nothing for you if you want to play versus Tetris.

The online-only is not only because it's free but because Puyo Puyo Tetris is also on the Switch and I am guessing the online-only/BR element allows it to bypass the "only one Tetris per system" soft rule that The Tetris Company has (like with Tetris Effect and PSVR)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I never said it was a bad game but it was a colossal financial undertaking by SE. I did some googling though and it appears you're right that they did end up turning a profit on it.

https://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/07/final-fantasy-xv-broke-even-development-costs-launch-day/

I should just keep this in my bookmarks at this point.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Does it still use the power of The Cloud?

You're thinking of FFVII

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Phantasium posted:

they're incredibly choosy with their investments

they just choose wrong

Well the weird thing with Crackdown 3 is that it has been very public for a long time. There have been plenty of opportunity for journalists to get their hands on it and go "yeah, this is Crackdown alright." It seemed to be that the writing had been on the wall for a long time that it would be mediocre at best.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

slopes, and they already added that. so idk, maybe a donkey kong 94 tileset with the moveset you'd expect, logic gates and poo poo basically just turn it into little big planet, uh 4 player?

I hope the new hollow knight has slopes too. First one was very boxy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The online-only is not only because it's free but because Puyo Puyo Tetris is also on the Switch and I am guessing the online-only/BR element allows it to bypass the "only one Tetris per system" soft rule that The Tetris Company has (like with Tetris Effect and PSVR)

But there's 3 versions of Tetris on PS4?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What would you like to see in a MM2 (Mario maker 2)?

Overworld maps, or at least a bog standard ability to link multiple levels together for a seamless experience.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The bad Ubisoft Tetris is download-only
The good Puyo-Puyo Tetris is disc-only
The amazing Tetris Effect takes the PSVR slot as a separate platform

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The bad Ubisoft Tetris is download-only
The good Puyo-Puyo Tetris is disc-only
The amazing Tetris Effect takes the PSVR slot as a separate platform

Is the Ubisoft Tetris even available to buy anymore? I don't think it's up on the PSN Store anymore at least.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

axelblaze posted:

Tetris 99 is annoyingly low effort (basis bland graphics, online only, single so-so Tetris remix for music, single mode, very few options, classic game with current trend pasted on) and it's especially annoying because it is still SO loving GOOD.

It being free helps, though I'd honestly have paid for it.

It is a really good companion to Tetris Effect because other than controlling well and being Tetris, one does perfectly what the other lacks and vice versa. Tetris Effect is still the better game, but it's also way more expensive and has pretty much nothing for you if you want to play versus Tetris.

It's actually made by the same people who made the version of Tetris all the super serious tetris players love (Tetris: The Grand Masters) so while the content is really light the fundamentals are rock solid.

Considering there are separate tabs on the stat screen for "All" and "Tetris 99" it seems pretty safe to assume they have more game modes planned for future updates. I thought the game was going to be a joke nobody played after the novelty wore off, but I'm honestly really excited to see where it goes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Still can't believe I got announcements for both a Link's Awakening remake and a Hollow Knight sequel in the last 24 hours, my birthday's not even until next month!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Wario maker dlc where you can play MM levels but be the invincible, block smashing Wario. Just gently caress people's levels up.

WarioWare Maker when

Don't say WarioWare DIY I want to be able to share this poo poo online

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
give me tetris attack 99 and meteos 99 and picross 99

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Andrast posted:

The internal politics for this stuff can be pretty complicated

They tied Crackdown 3 into being a showcase for their cloud service right from the start, so from that moment they were basically committed to releasing it in some form because to cancel it would raise too many questions about how capable their cloud system was. They'll more than likely break even on it at least since I can see a lot of people signing up for Game Pass just to see the trainwreck, since at the very least it seems like the kind of wreck you want to see first hand.

Anyway Tetris 99 finally got me to cough up for a Nintendo Online sub, so that's clearly working.

Looper posted:

meteos 99

Oh god.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
give me world maps in mario maker puhLEASE

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ooh now Picross 99 I could get into

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I see a bunch of reviews dropping for Metro/Crackdown/Far Cry and they look kind of middling, seems like a dead month for poo poo until Sekiro/DMCV explodes in. I'm probably wrong on Metro though since I have zero experience in the previous games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lumines 99 and everyone plays on the same board

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the deal with Tetris was that Ubi had western download console publishing rights, which they tried to argue made it so only they could have the game on current gen, but it got whittled down to them being able to make the US release of the PS4 version of PPT physical only. With Tetris Effect I think Ubi just stopped caring at this point because they don't have any plans to make any new Tetris games and the one they made has a bad reputations and is constantly on deep discount. I don't think the Tetris Company actually gives a poo poo if there's more than one Tetris on a console.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Tetris Company probably really likes money, and Nintendo have quite a lot of that around right now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do i need to play the first 98 tetrises to understand the backstory

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

Yes. Get on that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tetris 47 reveals the tragic backstory of the square block

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You will come to hate the dastardly S Block and his Twin Sister the devious Z block.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Is the Ubisoft Tetris even available to buy anymore? I don't think it's up on the PSN Store anymore at least.

Oh it looks like it just got delisted very recently

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the tetris series really felt like they were running out of ideas when in 89 they decided to make it a musical

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

This is a good question. Hopefully someone makes a Tetris anime to tell the story for those of us lacking time to play Tetris 1 thru 98.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wildtortilla posted:

This is a good question. Hopefully someone makes a Tetris anime to tell the story for those of us lacking time to play Tetris 1 thru 98.

only if 32 gets an entire feature length movie :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
99 tetrises are submitted for cert, only 1 can go on sale

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AGGGGH BEES posted:

God Eater 3 is really really good and if you like hunting games, anime, or flex tape, you should get it.

Also an adorable anime child you adopt who can fight alongside you. It is kind of funny how the outfits all have a bunch of electrical tape on them for no apparent reason. Except for Hilda whose clothes have the most powerful buttons to ever exist.

PantsBandit posted:

Death Stranding will be, though reviews will slobber all over it even if it's a pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Tetris 99 is actually the 387th Tetris.