Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Amethyst posted:

Here's a balanced take from the communists at the ABC

Yeah this is the universal hot take from aspiring Annabel Crabbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
you can tell those articles were written before yesterday :lol:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

That's a fairfax article

I thought fairfax stuff was all owned by Nine now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

I thought fairfax stuff was all owned by Nine now

Yeah it is. I think Amethyst was just Amethysting on me bc I skated on the detail.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I'm not going to call SMH and The Age articles Network Nine papers. the company still operates under the name Fairfax stop being pedants.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

I'm not going to call SMH and The Age articles Network Nine papers. the company still operates under the name Fairfax stop being pedants.

no u

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's 100% smokescreen to draw attention away from the growing AWU/ROC/Cash scandal IMO.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

hambeet posted:

Oh also don't be put off by " years of experience." At least 60% of the time that's put in there so that some dud internal who has been there 2 years doesn't apply, or they can easily reject for that reason. So apply anyway and highlight what transferrable skills you have that apply to the role.
I can kind of attest to this - I just got offered a job in legal transcription that asked for years of experience despite having none. So it doesn’t hurt to apply anyway.

Unrelated: during the interview they said you typically here some tough to stomach cases from the Queensland courts.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_3eEBu81M

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Amethyst posted:

Nah the Fairfax name has been completely excised from the company. The Pyrmont building now just has SMH & AFR logos (and a huge Domain sign on the roof...). You won’t find Fairfax Media mentioned on any of the websites, etc.

Fairfax is dead, the only remnants are email addresses that haven’t had domain changes yet.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

You know, I haven't heard an inspirational (aspirational?) Domain story in a while. Wonder how they're doing.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-15/domain-takes-a-big-hit-on-profit-due-to-weak-property-market/10814706

... good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Paingod556 posted:

You know, I haven't heard an inspirational (aspirational?) Domain story in a while. Wonder how they're doing.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-15/domain-takes-a-big-hit-on-profit-due-to-weak-property-market/10814706

... good.

How the hell does Domain even spend enough money to make that sort of loss?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Paingod556 posted:

... good.

Share price has gone apeshit today, it's up nearly 20%

e: I begged the question re their losses versus investor interest "that element relates to the accounting treatment of non-cash items on their balance sheet. I don’t think their decision to write down the value of certain assets impacts their expected cash earnings"

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 15, 2019

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
https://amp.9news.com.au/article/397b23ee-a3df-44c2-8da2-e019ec377e57

Apparently Liberal Party candidates don't like being called out for supporting the ongoing abuse of asylum seekers.

Also who gives a gently caress people are taking their signage down?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I can guarantee there is no fuckin way the police would be investigating anything except the contents of their own rear end if that was a Labor/Green/not LNP candidate

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bell jar posted:

Alice Workman work for the Guardian, any other buzzfeed reporter, i could care less, enjoy your lovely profession

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1096233896457383936

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

froglet posted:

Apparently Liberal Party candidates don't like being called out for supporting the ongoing abuse of asylum seekers.

haha the pic of her crying is classic

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/15/scott-morrison-may-face-second-parliamentary-defeat-this-time-by-nationals

quote:

Scott Morrison may face second parliamentary defeat – this time by Nationals

Nationals MPs defy Liberals on measures designed to help small businesses prevent misuse of market power

Barnaby Joyce and two other Nationals MPs have backed measures to improve small businesses’ access to justice, in a move which may force Scott Morrison to overturn government policy or risk a second lower house defeat on a substantive bill.

In comments to Guardian Australia Joyce, Keith Pitt and Andrew Broad all expressed in-principle support for measures designed to help in court cases of farmers and suppliers taking on big business like Coles and Woolworths for alleged misuse of market power.

On Thursday night, Labor and the crossbench combined in the Senate to pass amendments to an obscure government treasury bill over Liberal objections, after Nationals senator John Williams signalled they had support from the junior Coalition partner.

Under the amended bill, small businesses will be able to apply in court before launching major legal action to escape paying costs even if they lose a competition law case against larger rivals.

The Treasury Laws Amendment (2018 Measures No5) bill now looms as a time-bomb for the Morrison government when parliament returns on Monday, likely to cause a loss in the House of Representatives as occurred on Wednesday with the medevac bill unless the government supports the bill with Labor’s amendments.

Joyce told Guardian Australia he would not “telegraph [his] punches” on how he will vote but the “whole raison d’etre of the Nationals is to support small business”.

https://twitter.com/ALeighMP/status/1096141521588387841

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
#freecranno

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm just handing out fliers here, don't blame me for the actions of the party I am representing!

If getting your sign kicked and being called "the d-word" is the worst experience you have had with the public you must have lived a bomb sheltered life.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Alice Workman work for The Guardian

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

property is more valuable that humans and they broke her sign!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bell jar posted:

she’d have to check her sources at the guardian

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So as much as I send you guys samples of the right wing idiocy in letters to the editor of my local paper, I think the local cartoonist is solidly in the ALP.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I took a flier from my local ALP candidate at the station today

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gridlocked posted:

So as much as I send you guys samples of the right wing idiocy in letters to the editor of my local paper, I think the local cartoonist is solidly in the ALP.

Rocky is in the weird place of being staunch labor but still having really conservative views. Basically lnp but don’t want to murder unions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Rocky is in the weird place of being staunch labor but still having really conservative views.

:chloe:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

Rocky is in the weird place of being staunch labor but still having really conservative views. Basically lnp but don’t want to murder unions.

So like most of the Parliamentary Labor Party prior to about 2016 then

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Cash saying first she knew of the raids was seeing it on tv.

Right.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Why would anyone trust a recycling company ever

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm thinking we might see a senate inquiry into this Paladin affair if not a full on RC into OSB. The more that comes out, the sketchier it becomes.

https://www.afr.com/news/policy/for...jH2T17exd66fRM4

quote:

The Department of Home Affairs sought to exclude Manus Island security contractor Paladin from Freedom of Information laws, while allowing it to sit outside the usual government procurement guidelines, raising further questions about the awarding of $423 million in Commonwealth contracts.

A draft of Paladin's "PNG Services Contract", provided to the Senate by Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, shows department lawyers crossed out obligations for Paladin to comply with FOI legislation.

The exclusion was reversed and the FOI reference was in the final contract, but any obligation for Paladin to comply with "Commonwealth Procurement Rules" was left out

The revelation of the tweaks made to the Paladin contract follows Mr Dutton's comments to Sky News and the ABC's Triple J, when he stressed the government had strict procurement rules for such contracts.

"There are Commonwealth procurement guidelines for any of these contracts," he said.

In question time on Thursday, Mr Dutton further distanced himself from awarding the controversial contracts.

"If there are issues, my department, the secretary, will deal with those issues," he said.

The department and Mr Dutton are under pressure to explain how Paladin, a thinly capitalised group of companies, with no experience delivering government services, emerged with two contracts worth a combined value of $423 million.

People are also saying that apparently Dutton is now worth 300 Million (citation needed - that'd make him richer than Trumble and he would easily be parachuted out of Dickson were that the case)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zenithe posted:

it comes largely from the solid unionist base of miners and other trade union related enterprise that thrived in rocky so they're very conservative blokey bloke type people with strong western Christian backgrounds so they run very conservative in those lines thought but when it comes to there personal relevance they very solidly fit into the labour sector because it's all about the unions and support of the unions in the mining industry that has a horrible crossover between parties

sorry all of that is just a weird running sentence I'm using voice to text and it's crap

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

JBP posted:

Share price has gone apeshit today, it's up nearly 20%

e: I begged the question re their losses versus investor interest "that element relates to the accounting treatment of non-cash items on their balance sheet. I don’t think their decision to write down the value of certain assets impacts their expected cash earnings"

The thing that really stands out is that excluding one-off costs, sales are flat and profit is down. So it cost them more money to achieve the same sales. That’s never a good sign.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The thing that really stands out is that excluding one-off costs, sales are flat and profit is down. So it cost them more money to achieve the same sales. That’s never a good sign.

Oh yeah they're in strife it's just the big number isn't really much more than stupid accounting stuff I don't fully grasp

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Don Dongington posted:

I'm thinking we might see a senate inquiry into this Paladin affair if not a full on RC into OSB. The more that comes out, the sketchier it becomes.

https://www.afr.com/news/policy/for...jH2T17exd66fRM4

People are also saying that apparently Dutton is now worth 300 Million (citation needed - that'd make him richer than Trumble and he would easily be parachuted out of Dickson were that the case)

His wiki entry I believe was put up on Twitter as showing 300 million. The relevant passage appears to have been removed.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

JBP posted:

Oh yeah they're in strife it's just the big number isn't really much more than stupid accounting stuff I don't fully grasp

Yep, the elusive “goodwill”.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

Buy her an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

I took a flier from my local ALP candidate at the station today