Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The wiki and a bunch of steam forums posts seem to disagree and also be based on an earlier version of the game. So - can I breed King fish together in a fish display or do I need the bigger ones? How can I tell what food they need between bug eggs and dough? Can they die if I feed them incorrectly? I have been a bit hesitant to experiment because they were a bit hard to come by.

If possible, this seems like a decent way to crank out some additional money - a King Catfish is worth 5000 on its own.

Sydin posted:

I literally never fished until winter of year one when somebody put up an S rank commission for an emperor fish and I took it because I'm an idiot. Seems like a good way to make money but it's also pretty time consuming.

Me neither, but getting a stack of wise fish from the collapsed wasteland once you can identify what's on the line and holding them until a nice above market day is worth the time usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If they are like Emperor fish: They can be bred in the fish display but it's slow, they don't care what food they get, they can die but in my game there's always an indicator when they're hungry that I haven't missed yet.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chiming in to say I hated Stardew Valley but replacing a focusing on farming with dungeon crawling and crafting is my poo poo. Game is good.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

parabolic posted:

Me neither, but getting a stack of wise fish from the collapsed wasteland once you can identify what's on the line and holding them until a nice above market day is worth the time usually.

I just got a 139% day, which is the highest I've personally seen so far. Pretty much emptied out everyone who will buy fish, was rad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just fished on Starlight Isle and found two king fish worth 5K a pop. :stare: Is this normal or did I get extremely lucky? Because if it's even semi-regular that's a gigantic revenue stream.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sydin posted:

Just fished on Starlight Isle and found two king fish worth 5K a pop. :stare: Is this normal or did I get extremely lucky? Because if it's even semi-regular that's a gigantic revenue stream.

All king fish are worth 5k, and each fishing spot is balanced to produce a king fish around 2% of the time (if there are two fish species in the area they'll be ~1% each, or ~0.6% if there are three). You will see plenty of them if you fish enough, but they're not exactly common.

That's according to the wiki at least, my experience suggests they might be slightly more common than that, or I'm just very lucky.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 14, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I didn't fish much, but I usually got 2-4 when fishing half the day or a bit longer.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Relatedly, I caught three king fish at the fishing contest. Since they have a special tag in their description, I looked them up, and they're for donating to a museum later? I was wondering how far off that is? I just finished what I think was the second main story commission fixing / clearing out the cave on that first island.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

Relatedly, I caught three king fish at the fishing contest. Since they have a special tag in their description, I looked them up, and they're for donating to a museum later? I was wondering how far off that is? I just finished what I think was the second main story commission fixing / clearing out the cave on that first island.

That part is still a decent ways off. For me it rolled around somewhere in the middle of the first fall, so you're in no rush. Also, there's loads of things you can donate to the museum, such as most relics. So don't worry about selling those off if you want/need a bit of a cash infusion.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Thanks! I'm not too strapped for cash (have ~11k, which seems fine for the moment; I'm working on the first assembly station upgrade, already have the first worktable upgrade) but the king fish seem decently rare and at the moment at least I have a lot of stuff I'm prioritizing over fishing, so I think I'll just hold on to them for a while.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo materials automatically pull from storage this is immediately my favorite harvest moonlike ever

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zack Ater posted:

Thanks! I'm not too strapped for cash (have ~11k, which seems fine for the moment; I'm working on the first assembly station upgrade, already have the first worktable upgrade) but the king fish seem decently rare and at the moment at least I have a lot of stuff I'm prioritizing over fishing, so I think I'll just hold on to them for a while.

To be clear: the Museum has a reward track for donating relics and built items, which is cool. It has a separate rewards track for fish and King Fish, which is crap. Unless you’re looking to 100% the game ASAP,
sell that fish and go buy nice clothes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blast of Confetti posted:

Chiming in to say I hated Stardew Valley but replacing a focusing on farming with dungeon crawling and crafting is my poo poo. Game is good.

one of the game's strengths is definitely how it seems to angle for something different instead of just rehashing the same thing over and over

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I do wish they'd spent a little more time on making the combat better though, It's bad. Like "I have made better combat systems in a weekend-long gamejam" bad.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

one of the game's strengths is definitely how it seems to angle for something different instead of just rehashing the same thing over and over

The whole "builder" aspect is also a really great way to signify your progress in a visible way. Anywhere you go, you're subtly reminded of what you've achieved so far. "Hey, I build that bridge over there. And that irrigation system over there. And I remember when I put that fan in here!". It makes the world feel more organic and lived-in, where other games of the genre can sometimes feel a bit static or artificial.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

To be clear: the Museum has a reward track for donating relics and built items, which is cool. It has a separate rewards track for fish and King Fish, which is crap. Unless you’re looking to 100% the game ASAP,
sell that fish and go buy nice clothes.

Getting all the king fish seems like more of a novelty reward, but I like to get all the emperor fish species for the Master Fishing Rod. The fishing festival day seems really good for getting rare and exotic fish species.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Perestroika posted:

The whole "builder" aspect is also a really great way to signify your progress in a visible way. Anywhere you go, you're subtly reminded of what you've achieved so far. "Hey, I build that bridge over there. And that irrigation system over there. And I remember when I put that fan in here!". It makes the world feel more organic and lived-in, where other games of the genre can sometimes feel a bit static or artificial.

Agreed. It's cool to point at something and say "Yep, that was me (and Higgins helped I guess)!". It really adds a layer of investment to the whole thing, imo.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Agreed. It's cool to point at something and say "Yep, that was me (and Higgins helped I guess)!". It really adds a layer of investment to the whole thing, imo.

I noticed this when I built a bookshelf for Dr. Xu. Like, you do the thing and then it's there. It's such a minor thing, but when you pick up on it, it's so cool. It just feels so much better than a lot of games where you get a quest to build a massive mcguffin and then the NPC pockets it, says thanks, and it disappears into the void. It still happens in this game, but at least the quests provide tangible results.

Also, dear lord I finally built level 3 of the assembly station and it auto builds which is cool. What I didn't realize is that it auto builds :siren: -from your chests- :siren: It's such a wonderful QoL thing. Plus I don't have to go digging through my horrifically organized chests nearly as often.

It's nice that upgrades feel good.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm hoarding for another land size increase right now. Need 100k. I'm still only at a level 2 house but I don't feel time pressure there because I haven't really been working on relationships (I think I'm only buddy with most love interests) and getting incidental boosts from commissions and artefacts. I'm in winter year 1, just opened the ore mine and finally surpassed Higgins. gently caress that guy.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

go buy nice clothes.

Do you have any suggestions? The best I've seen so far are from the church, I don't know if there are any I've overlooked. I'm somewhere around level... 16 or so?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It's worth noting, don't be shy about buying clothes, and keep them.when you buy them. You'll eventually unlock a thing that let's you apply the highest available stats to any piece of clothing, so you'll be able to pretty princess it up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zack Ater posted:

Do you have any suggestions? The best I've seen so far are from the church, I don't know if there are any I've overlooked. I'm somewhere around level... 16 or so?

The church clothes (elegant attire) seem to have very good stats for their level if you can afford them. They require level 12 but are on par with the level 28 set, plus extra action points for play/date. Otherwise at that level you're looking at the sets you can buy with festival tokens or uniform jacket/pants sold at the clothing store I believe.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I was rocking the kung-fu pants for a good long while.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao if your coat wasn't dropped by a giant sewer mutant

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Magil Zeal posted:

The church clothes (elegant attire) seem to have very good stats for their level if you can afford them. They require level 12 but are on par with the level 28 set, plus extra action points for play/date.

They also just look rad. I have a set that I keep the real stats on (for play/date), and a set that gets upgraded to the most relevant combat stats.

Can't dungeon dive if you don't look sharp.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

They also just look rad. I have a set that I keep the real stats on (for play/date), and a set that gets upgraded to the most relevant combat stats.

Can't dungeon dive if you don't look sharp.

I plan to do this eventually, but I've been keeping pretty tight on money towards the end of my first year in my new game for release, between buying the second-to-last land expansion and lots of expensive but pretty furniture. I get an urge to decorate in this game so I'll have to live with the traveler's set for a while longer.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What can you do for starter cash? Fishing seems the most profitable so far but it's not very interesting

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If you're willing to zone out for 5-10 minutes at a time, you can make absolutely stupid money fishing in the desert pond. It has wise fish, gladiator fish, and salmon. You can just ignore all non-king salmon and fish the afternoon/evening away and wake up the next day with 8-14k worth of fish, and that's assuming you didn't catch any Kings.

Surprisingly, the quests and bigger commissions offer good money, though they're further in between. For the most part I haven't had to worry about money, save for when I want an upgrade or to buy more land, and even then, assuming you're not splurging like crazy on furniture and things, you build money up really quickly.

Also, I'm never not amused by mining for 6 hours in a pristine white suit and coming out just as pristine.

Edit: if you're not into fishing, I bear setting up a massive amount of corn balls and keeping them fertilized makes dumb money.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you mean real starter, like first hour or two, turn your buttload of rock into stone stools and sell them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you mean real starter, like first hour or two, turn your buttload of rock into stone stools and sell them.

Granted, turning stone into wood at the architect shop (back of the store to the left of the commission area) is a really good use of early stone since it saves on tree chopping.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Granted, turning stone into wood at the architect shop (back of the store to the left of the commission area) is a really good use of early stone since it saves on tree chopping.

Yeah this was what I was doing with my excess stone early on, gotta keep those furnaces going.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Later game, capture and sell big llamas. 12k per day.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Considering how much more money you can make by not doing your presumed occupation I can't help but assume that the free cities alliance may very well be taking my rear end for a ride.

Well time to unload 5 buses I built by hand for a commission that won't pay for 30 square feet of yard space. I wonder how much Higgins shells out to actually live in town...

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Caidin posted:

Considering how much more money you can make by not doing your presumed occupation I can't help but assume that the free cities alliance may very well be taking my rear end for a ride.

Well time to unload 5 buses I built by hand for a commission that won't pay for 30 square feet of yard space. I wonder how much Higgins shells out to actually live in town...

Higgins is an established resident builder. He has space for like two machines in a gutter. This should tell you everything.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I finally made enough iron for the assembly station upgrade (after the sword and the pick and axe upgrades...) and wow I was not expecting how much room it would need.

What do you all think about the day of the bright sun event? It's neat but I was really bad at actually getting the presents :v:

I was also wondering, I gave the tree farm people planks for their fence like 1.5~2 in-game weeks ago, but I've not heard anything else from them since and they still seem to be closed. Should it be taking that long?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

I finally made enough iron for the assembly station upgrade (after the sword and the pick and axe upgrades...) and wow I was not expecting how much room it would need.

What do you all think about the day of the bright sun event? It's neat but I was really bad at actually getting the presents :v:

I was also wondering, I gave the tree farm people planks for their fence like 1.5~2 in-game weeks ago, but I've not heard anything else from them since and they still seem to be closed. Should it be taking that long?

it took me about 3 weeks before i heard back from them, just happened last night

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:siren: End gameish (I think) mechanics spoilers :siren:

I got the factory, and I'm trying to figure out how the thing works. I get that you put machines on it, each machine provides units of production capacity for a given type of production, and it's all centrally powered. Have some questions though:

1. It looks like the factory doesn't pull from my storage boxes the way the worktable does, which come the gently caress on. I see it has it's own storage container, but if I put stuff in there then the worktable outside can't pull from it. :wtc: Please tell me I'm missing something, and/or there is some kind of unified storage mod that fixes this, because as it looks now it's a baffling design decision.

2. Is there a way to set how much production capacity you want an order to use for speed purposes? As an example if I create one order of 100 steel bars, it will smelt them one at a time and use 1 smelter production, even though 40 is available. Meanwhile if I do 20 orders of 20 bars, production increases 20 fold and I *still* have excess production. It'd seems obvious there would be an option to set an order like "100 bars, use 20/40 available smelter capacity". As it stands creating a lot of mini orders definitely seems like the way to go, but it's time consuming and tedious to queue them all up.

3. The factory seems to change a lot of recipes to use more base level products. Quality leather using rainbow flowers instead of pigments, a lot of metal products that needed bars now just needing ores, etc. Does this mean I should be keeping around some additional non-factory production machines so I can split production? Or should I just spend a couple days stockpiling a metric ton of raw resource and let the factory do all my production forever off it?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Sydin posted:

:siren: End gameish (I think) mechanics spoilers :siren:

I got the factory, and I'm trying to figure out how the thing works. I get that you put machines on it, each machine provides units of production capacity for a given type of production, and it's all centrally powered. Have some questions though:

1. It looks like the factory doesn't pull from my storage boxes the way the worktable does, which come the gently caress on. I see it has it's own storage container, but if I put stuff in there then the worktable outside can't pull from it. :wtc: Please tell me I'm missing something, and/or there is some kind of unified storage mod that fixes this, because as it looks now it's a baffling design decision.

2. Is there a way to set how much production capacity you want an order to use for speed purposes? As an example if I create one order of 100 steel bars, it will smelt them one at a time and use 1 smelter production, even though 40 is available. Meanwhile if I do 20 orders of 20 bars, production increases 20 fold and I *still* have excess production. It'd seems obvious there would be an option to set an order like "100 bars, use 20/40 available smelter capacity". As it stands creating a lot of mini orders definitely seems like the way to go, but it's time consuming and tedious to queue them all up.

3. The factory seems to change a lot of recipes to use more base level products. Quality leather using rainbow flowers instead of pigments, a lot of metal products that needed bars now just needing ores, etc. Does this mean I should be keeping around some additional non-factory production machines so I can split production? Or should I just spend a couple days stockpiling a metric ton of raw resource and let the factory do all my production forever off it?

Since no doubt someone else will ask this stuff due to jank I'm not going to spoiler the response.

1) Just put everything in the factory that is used in refining or worktable recipes. The only thing you can't do with the factory worktable is use the hardwood->wood recipe for whatever reason. The level 3 assembler will pull from the factory inventory even. As a bonus, this greatly simplifies resource storage and searching your inventory!

2) I just queue up 999 of all the bars, plates, charcoal and planks multiple times and toss all the raw stuff in every day. Since I have about 10x the stuff needed to complete commissions coming in every day it works out ok.

3) It shows that since you don't have the intermediates in materials store. If you don't have intermediates, it lists the raws. If you have intermediates, it lists the intermediates. You don't need to keep raws around except for recipes that explicitly require raws. There's a production tree view button you can click that makes this more clear.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 15, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks. I'm still not thrilled about the storage split since there are some things I still want to craft by hand at the regular workbench, since it's instant vs the small timelag of having the factory do it. The other stuff is definitely helpful though, thanks for clarifying the raws thing. I'll try to find the production tree to get a feel for what I should be dropping in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I bought this game in early access and it's a good, fresh take on the harvest moon style of game. It's not perfect but it does have a charm of it's own (combat is the weakest thing but whatevs.)

Just read the entire thread and here's a QoL thing I haven't seen mentioned: you can fuel furnaces with a variety of things, not just normal wood. I use hardwood as a fuel because I have gangbusters of it from before you could adjust what the tree farm/mine give you and from farming ironwood by hand.

Also because switching to electric furnaces to power everything saves on fuel quite a bit :v:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also one of the best commissions to look out for at the start are Water Tank commissions. They're really easy to make and pay out nicely in Gol and Rep. So save some stone to turn into bricks for those.

If you want to beat Higgins ASAP, you need to go and grab your commissions between 8:00 and 8:30. Gotta snatch them out from under him because, in general, Higgins will take whatever commission pays the most in Gol.
A notable exception though: Higgins doesn't fish. He won't/hasn't ever taken a fishing commission that I've seen.
Befriend Percy for the rep point boost and don't forget to do your weekend inspections since AFAIK Higgins doesn't do them or does them really badly.

Also there's quite a few commissions that pay out more rep points than Gol in the early game, so you can use those to get a leg up on him in the rankings. I got ahead of him in the first summer and the gap has only continued to grow since then despite him getting a few story commissions from me.

Sydin posted:

I'm still not thrilled about the storage split since there are some things I still want to craft by hand at the regular workbench, since it's instant vs the small timelag of having the factory do it.

The splits kind of necessary due to how the Factory will make whatever intermediates it needs in order to get the recipe done as needed.
Basically the main things you want to keep outside of the factory are whatever you need to assemble stuff. Plates, pipes, most of the stuff you find in ruins, some bars etc.