Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slimnoid posted:

There's also Instar, which so far is the only company producing Charadon Granite.

Oh cool, I was just thinking I could really do with a pot of dheneb stone

e: pic for the top of the page

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Twincityhacker posted:

Yes, I ment Faller's not Fuller's. After I got home I looked at the item number on my bottle and compared it their entire product line, and it turns out that their Expert plastic glue is indeed labled as Expert plastic cement. Sometimes. I'm not sure why, but it is and :bang:

Yeah, in the context of the hobby I usually hear plastic glue and plastic cement used interchangeably to refer to the solvent. Kind of annoying because there ARE actual glues called plastic glue, but I don't think they're anything you want to use on minis.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I corrected a mistake in my earlier post, plastic cement is what I was referring to. I don't believe plastic cement melts PVC.

Not the stuff we use for hobbies, no, but there is PVC cement. It’s mainly used in plumbing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or have the badcast folks not posted any new models lately? I don't recall an army shot of Dan's Ravenguard. This is not a passive aggressive callout at all honest.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My latest order from Games Workshop is a week late in shipping from their warehouse. I need to paint things! :sigh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Doctor Zero posted:

Not the stuff we use for hobbies, no, but there is PVC cement. It’s mainly used in plumbing.

Oh yeah, I've actually used that stuff before when a friend needed some help redoing their plumbing. I dunno if I'd recommend it for use with Bones minis though. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with Victoria Miniatures resin? I managed to grab a Taurox suspension kit off an auction and I was wondering what kind of cleaning is needed for it.

Also does anyone have an assembly guide or know where I can get one? Turns out I got the old one that requires some assembly and I didn't get any instructions for it.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Not for the models I was painting earlier, but does the OP recommended paint strippers (simple green, super clean) also work to remove primer? Want to take the primer off some resin models because the weird automotive odor makes it hard to paint with so I'm thinking it might be better to strip the primer than reprime with a different brand.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Simple green works and doesn't damage resin

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Not for the models I was painting earlier, but does the OP recommended paint strippers (simple green, super clean) also work to remove primer? Want to take the primer off some resin models because the weird automotive odor makes it hard to paint with so I'm thinking it might be better to strip the primer than reprime with a different brand.

Typically yes, some primers also dye the material underneath which will not be removed but should not affect future primer application.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

My latest order from Games Workshop is a week late in shipping from their warehouse. I need to paint things! :sigh:

Turns out Games Workshop doesn't always believe in tracking numbers, i'll be back to painting on Tuesday night. :hurr:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

evol262 posted:

Simple green works and doesn't damage resin

R0ckfish posted:

Typically yes, some primers also dye the material underneath which will not be removed but should not affect future primer application.

Thanks for the feedback, I have my Venatari soaking in Simple Green now. I heard that sometimes it might weaken the super glue bond so parts might fall out, is that usually a result of leaving the model soaking too long? Supergluing those tiny flaps on their jetpacks was a huge pain in the rear end and thinking about doing it all again kinda makes me cringe...

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I have my Venatari soaking in Simple Green now. I heard that sometimes it might weaken the super glue bond so parts might fall out, is that usually a result of leaving the model soaking too long? Supergluing those tiny flaps on their jetpacks was a huge pain in the rear end and thinking about doing it all again kinda makes me cringe...

In my experience super glue typically does not survive.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I haven't stripped pure resin, but out of 24 noise marines (resin arms+weapons), about half came out with everything still attached. Both plastic->resin bonds on pauldrons and to the torso, and resin->resin from the arms.

It's weakened, though, and you should expect to redo it when you hit them with a brush to get the last pieces off

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I've got some Marines for ya, I'll include return postage lol hope you like yeller

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've got some Marines for ya, I'll include return postage lol hope you like yeller

I've actually been trolling SA-Mart and Ebay for figures to buy that are a good deal. :P I have a set of 3 Killa Kans, and the Nighthaunt + Paint Set coming in the mail. After I paint those I want to get the Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought.

Here is my latest work, although i'm not that happy with it. I have a difficult time with small details, my hands are not that steady.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 16, 2019

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Victoria Miniatures resin? I managed to grab a Taurox suspension kit off an auction and I was wondering what kind of cleaning is needed for it.

Also does anyone have an assembly guide or know where I can get one? Turns out I got the old one that requires some assembly and I didn't get any instructions for it.

I've used a bunch of Victoria Miniatures. Mostly heads and weapons. I wash them in soapy water before working with them.
I've got that same Taurox 4x4 kit but never used it. It didn't come with instructions but shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I've used a bunch of Victoria Miniatures. Mostly heads and weapons. I wash them in soapy water before working with them.
I've got that same Taurox 4x4 kit but never used it. It didn't come with instructions but shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Ah, the usual method. Had to check.
Also yeah, this is the pre-gamer edition one so there's some extra stuff that needs assembly. I might figure out how things work from some google searches. Otherwise I'll just email their support and see what happens.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Working on a diorama for a local nerdstore contest. Got the basecoating done for the two models:

They're going to be standing across from each other on a rocky shore, assuming I can manage to get everything looking right on the base.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Someone at my LGS today asked me if I take commissions. I've never done this before, how do people quote a price? By points? Model count? Any advice / insight in general would be much appreciated.

He wants me to paint his Stormcast in the same scheme as my Stormcast - I definitely don't love the idea of painting the same army in the same way twice over, but :10bux: is :10bux:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

By points?
gently caress no. It's per model, adjusted by a) level (e.g. basic tabletop -> good tabletop -> centerpiece quality -> absolute best you can do), b) model size and complexity, c) potential batch discounts (if you take a squad of 10 identical dudes you can do them assembly line much faster than 10x the time of a single one).

Also, unless you're an amazing/very prolific painter and know how to price your work, commission painting won't bring you much money.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Don't forget that your time has value. Figure out how much time it's likely to take you, how much your time is worth, and ask him to pay that. If he isn't willing, then it's literally not worth your time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I know it's not exactly a lucrative thing. I just wasn't sure if it was like $5/model for average tabletop quality? You can click the ? to see my past posts in thread to get an idea for quality :downs:

Didn't get a chance to talk to the guy too much so I'm not sure how many points we're talking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Impulse bought these brushes tonight https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7UFLP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was wondering about goon opinions?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

One dude done! Just need to finish up the fishman and then get the base primed. Already built up the basic elements of the base with greenstuff, oxid paste, and corkboard. Once that's done, it'll just be applying some paint, drybrushing, and water effects.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Sab669 posted:

Yea I know it's not exactly a lucrative thing. I just wasn't sure if it was like $5/model for average tabletop quality? You can click the ? to see my past posts in thread to get an idea for quality :downs:

Didn't get a chance to talk to the guy too much so I'm not sure how many points we're talking.

Having done a fair amount of art for money it's never really worth your time unless you are desperate for cash or it's some art you really want to do. This job sounds like the biggest trap for an artist, you are not learning anything new and it really won't be worth your time. You will end up resenting having to paint this person's model but also feel guilty that you resent it and are taking so long. These feelings combined will ruin what you enjoy about paint for a good long time.

The only way I would do this for someone is if I made worth my time by charging them through the nose, or taking complete creative control of what I get to paint and how I get to paint it. Both of which means they end up funding my hobby time and in return they get painted models.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Extra money would be really nice, even if it's not a good per-hour rate. But yea I think I'm gonna tell the guy thanks but no thanks. Just don't want to do the same scheme for the same models I'm painting for my own army.

Speaking of which, as seen in the AoS thread;

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

BoneMonkey posted:

Having done a fair amount of art for money it's never really worth your time unless you are desperate for cash or it's some art you really want to do. This job sounds like the biggest trap for an artist, you are not learning anything new and it really won't be worth your time. You will end up resenting having to paint this person's model but also feel guilty that you resent it and are taking so long. These feelings combined will ruin what you enjoy about paint for a good long time.

The only way I would do this for someone is if I made worth my time by charging them through the nose, or taking complete creative control of what I get to paint and how I get to paint it. Both of which means they end up funding my hobby time and in return they get painted models.

I actually had someone ask me recently (and I hasten to add that I'm very much a "tabletop quality" painter in my view) if I ever thought about doing mini painting commission work, and my response was no, for this reason (which came from one of the older painting threads in this forum, years ago): the surest way to turn something you enjoy doing into something you absolutely resent having to do, is to turn it from your hobby into your job.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just finished my Casket of Souls:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
X-posting

The Jumpoff posted:

Speaking of which, I painted to head today:

I'm so excited to finish it up now.

I also painted some gretchin, the three of which took about 2 hours (including basing!)

I have many more to do but they're so fun and fast to paint.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought my Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought today. :D very excited to start painting it. I have close to all of the paints I need for it so this won't be a project I finish right away.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Getting a bit further on my diorama. I wish I had more of my basing stuff out here with me. Some seashells and seaweed would really help sell the effect. But I don't want to go out to raid stores and I need to start adding water effects soon if I want it ready to turn in on Saturday.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Finished my Seraptek (plus giant A3 plywood base) and I'm pretty happy with the result. The scenic bits were from some random Etsy store and they turned out quite well after some sanding.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The scarabs are a great touch

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Work progresses on A Thing.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Ooh, a leviathan in your color scheme's going to be cool

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Eifert Posting posted:

What size brush are you using to paint that?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
000, and I should have known you 30k types would be able to identify a forgeworld model with a centimeter of model visible. :saddowns:

I thought it was a generic head for all forge-world dreads. :v:
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 18, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

000, and I should have known you 30k types would be able to identify a forgeworld model with a centimeter of model visible. :saddowns:

I've only painted 3 of them, and its a pretty distinctive head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I hope you didn't glue the lid part yet, because the head won't go in with it glued.