Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fallom posted:

This dude was a quarter inch away from becoming a vegetable

I was going to say - his head falls so drat close to that concrete-block planter

e: pagesnype content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7909MkNU4

Endman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Powershift posted:

Did i just watch someone die?

No it's the miracle of birth

https://my.mixtape.moe/modqku.mp4

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Awww, is this where baby shoes come from? :angel:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

I was going to say - his head falls so drat close to that concrete-block planter

e: pagesnype content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7909MkNU4

This feels like something that'd get turned into dance music for clubs.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

pseudorandom posted:

Awww, is this where baby shoes come from? :angel:

It's about time we had 'the talk'

You see, when a left and a right shoe really love each other they do a special kind of dance - incidentally, that is where the expression 'dancing shoes' comes from - and ...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sneakyfrog posted:

i guess its just weird to me, but then i grew up as evangelical talking in tongues supposed to be a pastor one day kid, so i mean im not one to judge anyones flavor of deity

I grew up Catholic and I think we invented rules lawyering when it comes to religion.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

I grew up Catholic and I think we invented rules lawyering when it comes to religion.

:psyduck:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

MightyJoe36 posted:

:jewish: needs a minute of your time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, one of my favourite things ever is the manhattan eruv.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

MightyJoe36 posted:

Smdh Orthodox Jews are the rule lawyers of religion, everybody knows this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lawyering was invented the same day as rules were.

I’m sure there were prehistorical religions that did it.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

-Go into a violent panic the moment anything startles, upsets, or confuses you.

PLEASE no more horse derails

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MightyJoe36 posted:

Fun Catholic rules lawyering fact: In the Middle Ages, when they were super-strict about meatless Fridays, it was fine to eat beaver tail because it was decided that while the body is a mammal and therefore meat, the tail was clearly fish so it was good to go.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Catholic rules lawyering is some cheeky obtuse interpretations of guidelines worded poorly by the clergy. Jewish rules lawyering is an effort by an entire class of priests to research ways to get one over on God without violating the Covenant.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MightyJoe36 posted:

i have news for you about how time works

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sandoz posted:

mike pence account spotted.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

zedprime posted:

Catholic rules lawyering is some cheeky obtuse interpretations of guidelines worded poorly by the clergy. Jewish rules lawyering is an effort by an entire class of priests to research ways to get one over on God without violating the Covenant.

Hand to G-d reading old Rabbinical debates will give anyone who played table-top role playing games in high school loving flashbacks. Pedantic nerds are unchanged since the dawn of scripture itself. I'm really glad someone posted the Oven story upthread because it's one of my favorite religious parables ever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Longer version: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/aphhig/forecast_was_for_freezing_rain_but_had_to_go/

"I didn't fuckin' do it on purpose"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Truga posted:

Yeah, one of my favourite things ever is the manhattan eruv.

Toronto has one too (3 separate ones with specific crossover points between the lower two). They send alerts if the something happens the the eruv goes down. On the donations page they say it costs $40,000 a year to operate which seems like a lot but I have no idea what's actually involved.

https://www.torontoeruv.org/map/

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 15, 2019

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
So the Train Scene from top secret wasn't a gag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_peCIVBTAY

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Apollo posted:

Toronto has one too (3 separate ones with specific crossover points between the lower two). They send alerts if the something happens the the eruv goes down. On the donations page they say it costs $40,000 a year to operate which seems like a lot but I have no idea what's actually involved.

Hah I was just looking that up this morning after hearing about the NY one

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mr. Apollo posted:

it needs to be inspected every week and repaired promptly which is a lot of cost, and then also maintaining the infrastructure to let everyone know if there is a problem with it

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

violent sex idiot posted:

it needs to be inspected every week and repaired promptly which is a lot of cost, and then also maintaining the infrastructure to let everyone know if there is a problem with it

The LA eruv has a page dedicated to explaining why it costs them $120,000 / year to manage:

quote:

Most come down to two questions:

- Why is it so expensive to run the eruv?
- Isn’t it blackmail and inappropriate to “threaten” to take down the eruv?

Here are a few basic answers:

Our annual budget runs at about $120,000 per year.
We have a crew of three rabbinical inspectors with drivers that check the eruv every week.
We also have a crew with our own dedicated lift truck that spend hours every Thursday night and often Friday making repairs.
Then we have insurance, special insurance for CalTrans, D&O liability insurance, auto insurance, etc..
We also spend several thousand dollars each year on truck maintenance and repairs to keep it safe and usable.

Setting a steel reinforcing frame in a post hole, The frame sits about 4 feet deep in the ground.
Because we are maintaining the largest eruv in the country if not the world, and because it is made up of miles of fences and walls rather than just fishing line our costs for materials, poles, fences, etc. is significant.

We ran about $30,000 short this year and had to borrow it from our emergency fund.

We also have 45-year-old lift truck that must be replaced sometime between tomorrow and next year. For a used 15-year-old truck it will cost $70,000.

So we are looking to raise: $120k + $30k + $70k for a total of $220,000.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hand to G-d reading old Rabbinical debates will give anyone who played table-top role playing games in high school loving flashbacks. Pedantic nerds are unchanged since the dawn of scripture itself. I'm really glad someone posted the Oven story upthread because it's one of my favorite religious parables ever.

Bava Metsia 84 posted:

With regards to these Sages, the Gemara adds: When Rabbi Yishmael, son of Rabbi Yosei, and Rabbi Elazar, son of Rabbi Shimon, would meet each other, it was possible for a pair of oxen to enter and fit between them, under their bellies, without touching them, due to their excessive obesity.

A certain Roman noblewoman once said to them: Your children are not really your own, as due to your obesity it is impossible that you engaged in intercourse with your wives. They said to her: Theirs, i.e., our wives' bellies, are larger than ours. She said to them: All the more so you could not have had intercourse. There are those who say that this is what they said to her: For as the man is, so is his strength, i.e., our sexual organs are proportionate to our bellies. There are those who say that this is what they said to her: Love compresses the flesh.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

minato posted:

The LA eruv has a page dedicated to explaining why it costs them $120,000 / year to manage:

That makes sense, I hadn't thought about the heavy equipment and crews that would be needed to maintain it.

I thought the bit about "Isn’t it blackmail and inappropriate to “threaten” to take down the eruv?" was going to be about them having to pay off people who were threatening to take down the eruv but instead it's people complaining that having to pay a monthly/yearly fee to maintain the eruv or else it would be taken down was blackmail.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought the bit about "Isn’t it blackmail and inappropriate to “threaten” to take down the eruv?" was going to be about them having to pay off people who were threatening to take down the eruv but instead it's people complaining that having to pay a monthly/yearly fee to maintain the eruv or else it would be taken down was blackmail.

Lol... Pay the fee or you might actually have to stop ignoring the religious rules you pretend to follow by using this silly excuse.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

I can't figure out what is in the trash can, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of flammable gas? Near an open flame? Is this guy out of his goddamn mind?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chief Savage Man posted:

I can't figure out what is in the trash can, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of flammable gas? Near an open flame? Is this guy out of his goddamn mind?

He's a backyard scientist in his native habitat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chief Savage Man posted:

The downward-drifting fog means it's in liquid form and he's using the can to puff it out as it boils off. I'm not sure if this is better or worse than opening a gas cylinder.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think he just freshly chopped a limb off that tree to make room for this project or he just stores his cutters outside in the weather like an animal

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

The Bloop posted:

Do you think he just freshly chopped a limb off that tree to make room for this project or he just stores his cutters outside in the weather like an animal

for the longest time i assumed he was trying to show off his Dipshit Nunchaku but jesus gently caress

YHVH is the one true G-d

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Even more rules-lawyery form of Eruv is the Eruv techumin. Quoting from wikipedia:

quote:

An eruv techumin (Hebrew: עירוב תחומין, "mixed borders") for traveling enables Jews to travel on Shabbat or a Jewish holiday, without violating the prohibition of techum shabbat. They prepare food prior to Shabbat or the holiday on which they plan to travel farther than is normally allowed on such days. The only allowed method of transportation is walking.[1]

Normally, a person may walk anywhere in their city or town on such days, but only within that area and up to 2000 cubits past the city limits (the city limits are defined to extend so long as there are houses within 70 cubits of the each other;[2] see techum shabbat for details). If they need to travel farther than that, they can leave some food in a certain location prior to that holiday or Sabbath. This will temporarily establish their home as at the location of the food, allowing to travel 2000 cubits from the food.

:jewish:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Ruining my family's pilgrimage by sneaking off before nightfall to pilfer their stash of figs and dates

#justbatmisvathings

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

My piston rings are hosed, so the lubricant is going to be burned anyway.

This one had a good ending.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

sandoz posted:

Poor ol' officer Freckles, Thought of ants and shot six people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

minato posted:

But it's an imaginary line? Can't you just say "here's the line, it's where we say it is because we say so, go about your Judaica as normal"?

If you're really going to nitpick the word of god to that extreme then what's one more fabrication?