Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mormonpartyboat posted:

its actually super easy to make if you use the microwave method

this is not a shitpost

i have a handwritten recipe for microwaved peanut brittle that has to be fifty years old with lots of edits by my grandma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Store bought hollandaise sucks but real hollandaise is one of the most difficult things to make. It’s one of the four mother sauces according to escoffier, and supposedly based upon the sauce that people in Holland would use to eat specifically with asparagus, but as far as I can tell they would actually just mash up a hard boiled egg with a fork and mix that with melted butter, which also work pretty well.

The only time I got hollandaise to work well was the hot butter in a blender method. And it was only stable/edible for like 20 minutes.

Basically this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/84214/blender-hollandaise-sauce/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

potatochat

1) parboil those fuckers very briefly until the surface 1/2 cm or so is soft but the potato itself is still firm

2) stick them in a sieve or colander and shake it so they bounce about and get all roughed up

3) splash them with some balsamic and soy sauce then throw a pinch or two of flour in there and rough them up again, apply salt and pepper if you wanna

4) throw potatoes in a baking tray w/ hot goose fat or other animal fat and some crushed garlic

5) roast for 45-60 mins at ~200c flipping a couple times

incredible roasties!!

e: you can swap out the balsamic and soy for some rosemary and thyme or whatever seasoning you prefer
but the basic method of parboil - rough up - flour - roast in fat, makes for some amazing roast potatoes and any UK goon will know how popular it wil make you when people see the tier-0 roasties you have wrought

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Feb 14, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Is this with skin or without? Never heard of this

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
ok dug up the recipe

quote:

Hollandaise Sauce:
1 Stick Melted Butter
4 Egg Yolks
Dash Pepper
½ Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/8 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Whisk egg yolks, lemon juice, and all dry ingredients. Whisk melted butter into egg yolk mixture. Initially, microwave for 30 Seconds on High, then whisk. Microwave for 5 additional seconds then whisk again. Repeat until sauce thickens. If sauce curdles, add more lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
do this until it looks like hollandaise

its ez yo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

ok dug up the recipe

do this until it looks like hollandaise

its ez yo

is this really any easier than just using a double boiler?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

bird with big dick posted:

is this really any easier than just using a double boiler?

:thunk:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just made fresh green beans for the first time and they're incredible

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yeah, fresh beans are much better than frozen. They're super low maintenance and grow everywhere, not sure how they fell into obscurity

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

are there cultivars that don't require tressels yet?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

You mean trellis?

Pole beans will vine up to about 15', but bush beans tend to be okay without one. You get less beans off a bush, but still quite a lot.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Seriously, everyone grow greens and beans. They're easy and tasty.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

You mean trellis?

Pole beans will vine up to about 15', but bush beans tend to be okay without one. You get less beans off a bush, but still quite a lot.

oh ya that's what I mean lol

what are good things to grow that deer won't eat, they run free where I live lol, very limited space to grow anything and mostly in planters too, RIP apartment lyfe

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

what are good things to grow that deer won't eat, they run free where I live lol, very limited space to grow anything and mostly in planters too, RIP apartment lyfe

Basically nothing. You pretty much have to fence off (with like a 5'+ fence) anything edible, otherwise the deer will get it.

However, greens require little enough space you should be able to grow them inside next to your windows.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Three sisters, bimch

twoday
May 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

They can't eat what's underground, I reckon

And I doubt they will eat hot peppers

Also most fruit trees will grow in most parts of North America if planted there from a seed, and taken inside during harsh winters. A pomegranate or citrus would bring results quickly

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Epic High Five posted:

are there cultivars that don't require tressels yet?

Plant corn for them to grow up on

twoday posted:

Three sisters, bimch

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(agriculture)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i put meat and cheese on bread and ate it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i say swears online posted:

just made fresh green beans for the first time and they're incredible

i love these kinds of discoveries about vegetables we hated as kids. like how brussels sprouts are actually good when you don't boil them to death.

twoday
May 4, 2005

There's some physiological reason that kids hate green leafy vegetables (and fish) more than adults, and it has to do with how our taste buds evolve over our lifetimes. When we are younger we are much more wired to enjoy sweet things and hate bitter things (because they taste extra bitter to a child), and as we grow older we tolerate it more

At least that's what scientists say. I think there is a lot of truth to rediscovering things by learning new ways to cook them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R. Guyovich posted:

i love these kinds of discoveries about vegetables we hated as kids. like how brussels sprouts are actually good when you don't boil them to death.

pan-seared sprouts... mm.

Is there any vegetable that's actually improved by boiling compared to other cooking methods?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Just today I ate kale and mashed potatoes boiled together before being mashed together (served with some lamb). I think it makes the kale soft, less bitter and more palatable. The water becomes very bitter, and then you pour it out.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SKULL.GIF posted:

pan-seared sprouts... mm.

Is there any vegetable that's actually improved by boiling compared to other cooking methods?

uhhhh

taro?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Pro-tip on kale: Prep it by chopping it to whatever size you want it to be while forking it into your mouth (destemming the really big ribs and composting them). Then drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top and massage all the greens to make sure they're lightly coated. Let it sit 15 min, then eat. The oil breaks down the waxy coating on the leaves and makes them incredibly tender and way less bitter.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

I had them for the first time in a restaurant on a recommendation and was blown away. Even trying to re-create the recipe, it doesn't come close. I'll toss them in soy sauce with a little sesame oil and a couple other things then bake at a very high temperature, but I can't get ever get them right.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I had them for the first time in a restaurant on a recommendation and was blown away. Even trying to re-create the recipe, it doesn't come close. I'll toss them in soy sauce with a little sesame oil and a couple other things then bake at a very high temperature, but I can't get ever get them right.

it's five tons of butter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i can do that

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

get a cast iron skillet, and first cook some good thick cut bacon in it

then halve the brussel sprouts and cook them and some onions in the grease so they get a nice light char

then throw in the bacon after you dice it, plus some pine nuts and mushrooms

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
5 parts sprouts 1 part butter usually does it

twoday
May 4, 2005

I had a Georgian cookbook a while back, and if there is one trick I learned from the Georgian kitchen, it’s that wallnuts really well with a lot of stuff. I think they would go well with sprout recipe above

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite snack is snap peas straight from the bag

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Agean90 posted:

My favorite snack is snap peas straight from the bag

My favorite snack is your mom's cookies

twoday
May 4, 2005

Need dinner in a hurry? Dump a bag of snap peas on the ground and them off the floor like a animal

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Need dinner in a hurry? Dump a bag of snap peas on the ground and them off the floor like a animal

I usually just wrap pepperoni in roast beef, but this could work too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plinkey posted:

I usually just wrap pepperoni in roast beef, but this could work too.

Pepperoni is just nature's potato chips

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twoday posted:

I had a Georgian cookbook a while back, and if there is one trick I learned from the Georgian kitchen, it’s that wallnuts really well with a lot of stuff. I think they would go well with sprout recipe above

back in the beforetimes when i would still eat frozen/canned green beans, i would get the french cut style and stir fry in soy sauce, a touch of oil and almond slivers. that actually turned out pretty well

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is a good way to prepare brussels sprouts without cooking

Shaved Brussels Sprouts With Pecorino and Walnuts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is it similar to cabbage raw?

i shamefully love mayo-based coleslaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005