Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Here I am battling with 18” long ice fishing rods and you’re showing off that big long thang :blush:

End of the day pic before heading home Saturday night. Weather swings lately meant there was a lot of broken up ice a little further out at my normal spot.

I only managed a few but my fishing buddy tossed me his catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elmnt80 posted:

I went to the day 4 weigh in for the FLW tournament at Lake Toho. I won a fancy rod from Lews raffle and I can't find any info about it on the internet. :haw:

By Mennen

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sockington posted:

Here I am battling with 18” long ice fishing rods and you’re showing off that big long thang :blush:

End of the day pic before heading home Saturday night. Weather swings lately meant there was a lot of broken up ice a little further out at my normal spot.

I only managed a few but my fishing buddy tossed me his catch.

Thats honestly the shortest baitcaster I own.

I'd love to try ice fishing some time, but given its been around 80°f here this last week, I don't think thats gonna ever happen.

Also, your photos aren't loading in the app and it makes me sad. You catch neat stuff. :(

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 12, 2019

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Is there anything worse than braid cuts right in the bends of your fingers?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

I use a multi tool or some pliers to wrap braid around if I need to pull it out of a snag and don't want to use the rod to do it. Also, my last package from tackle warehouse arrived. I'm pretty sure this is the fishing equivalent of taking that first hit off the crack pipe.

A few years from now I'll be homeless in a alleyway behind the tackle store offering to suck dick so I can buy another roman made mother swimbait and a new spool of braid to throw it on. :v:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

Fish spines getting infected

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Fish spines getting infected

I just got over an infection in my finger and definitely agree. Braid cuts suck, but they heal after a couple of days.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I use a multi tool or some pliers to wrap braid around if I need to pull it out of a snag and don't want to use the rod to do it. Also, my last package from tackle warehouse arrived. I'm pretty sure this is the fishing equivalent of taking that first hit off the crack pipe.

I only ever really cut myself when I'm tying my leaders, I usually wear gloves but sometimes I won't because I'm being lazy/dumb/whatever. So basically I get what I deserve. Those Tackle Warehouse stickers are great, I've got a pile of them at home to remind me of all of the money I spend there :shepspends:

re: spines - I've never had that happen, which I think I'll be happy about it from the sound of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got about 4 spines stuck in me deep from a black rockfish. Leg bloated up and I dnhhhf

I’ve had about 6-8 spines under nails over the years. Owe owe owe.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Got about 4 spines stuck in me deep from a black rockfish. Leg bloated up and I dnhhhf

I’ve had about 6-8 spines under nails over the years. Owe owe owe.

Never had a spine under my nails but I did get a hook under my thumbnail past the barb once. Not super fun when you have several kilometers to paddle back to land.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah my main target fish has loving spines all over it but at least they ain’t venomous. Their teeth are basically very aggressive sand paper so at least it’s safe to hold them like a largemouth bass.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Don't lingcod have some fangs on them? :confused:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Don't lingcod have some fangs on them? :confused:

I was talking about pacific rockfish. Lingcods are the exact opposite. Fangs like gently caress, razors for gill rakers and zero hard spines.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I was talking about pacific rockfish. Lingcods are the exact opposite. Fangs like gently caress, razors for gill rakers and zero hard spines.

That makes more sense. gently caress I can't wait for bottomfish season to open.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I caught a new species the other day, the lizard fish. I caught two, both were 5-6 inches long and tried to eat a 1.5 oz iron jig. I honestly don't even know how I felt the bites on my heavy power rod. Needless to say, the Tranx cranked them in no problem.

Not my pic, googled image.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Hopefully these pictures show up? I dunno? It’s just photo bucket pics.

Picked up a $50 old fish finder turned into a ice fishing rig.

Working the hole.

I got a couple small ones.

Daughter whipped my rear end with this one just over 12”.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

gay picnic defence posted:

Never had a spine under my nails but I did get a hook under my thumbnail past the barb once. Not super fun when you have several kilometers to paddle back to land.

One of the best benefits of fishing with a doctor is the fresh bottle of Novocain I keep in my gear for just such an occasion. Ring nerve blocks make hook extraction much simpler.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Sockington posted:

Hopefully these pictures show up? I dunno? It’s just photo bucket pics.

Holy poo poo that’s great!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sockington posted:

Does that work through ice? Or do you have to drill some exploratory holes to find your spots still

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hooplah posted:

Does that work through ice? Or do you have to drill some exploratory holes to find your spots still

Yeah. I generally drill two holes for my jigging rod, one for my dead stick, and one under my chair for the transponder. I drill a fuckload of holes before I setup the tent.

I like drilling two holes inline with each other, and jigging the further away hole. The closer hole provides a nice view of fish around the jig without peering directly down the hole.

Our bay is super gin-clear right now, so the bite has been slightly hard. The fish come up and kiss/nudge the jig and then leave. You can see the bottom perfectly 8-9’ below.

I look forward to using the fish finder setup on my steel boat come spring too.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

joem83 posted:

I caught a new species the other day, the lizard fish. I caught two, both were 5-6 inches long and tried to eat a 1.5 oz iron jig. I honestly don't even know how I felt the bites on my heavy power rod. Needless to say, the Tranx cranked them in no problem.

Not my pic, googled image.

Those things are incredibly aggressive and eat anything. The only meaner fish I've caught are snakeheads. I've caught lizardfish on 6+ oz. jigs on a setup meant for 30-lb.+ amberjack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s a mini lingcod.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I've heard they're amazing halibut bait too. I gave one of my catches to a dude that was fishing bait nearby.

You guys ever fish the z-man tubes? I had it on a 1/5 oz ned rig, swimming it like a little squid and I was getting hit nonstop. Missed like 15 bites, I was fishing pure mono and I wasn't used to the stretch. My sister-in-law's baby daddy casted over the exit from a boat launch a couple weeks ago and wrapped up a bunch of my braid in a boat prop so I had to strip it off; he was borrowing my rod. That was awkward and embarrassing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Were they short striking it or eating it and spitting it back out? If they're short striking, maybe use something with a longer shanked hook like a shakey head or a wobble head?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Were they short striking it or eating it and spitting it back out? If they're short striking, maybe use something with a longer shanked hook like a shakey head or a wobble head?

I think they were hitting the tentacles, they looked a little worn from what I remember but it was dark when I finished up and I gave the jig + bait to a dude that was fishing by my car. It's a pretty small lure and the hook placement was good, so I'm just going to go with user error ;)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went out and caught my first 2 fish of 2019! I have a local preserve thats on the site of an old limerock or phosphate mine. The 50-70ft deep pits have filled in with water and has vegetation growing in some of it, so the florida wildlife nerds stock it with bluegill, bass, etc. First largemouth was ~10-11" and less than a pound, the next was about 14" and a pound to a pound and a half. It could have been more if I had figured out what they were doing earlier and not tried fishing in the absolute worst possible location for the first half of the day. It could also have been more if some dude who looked like a lovely 80's miami vice extra hadn't hadn't decided that the pocket I was fishing in (and getting bit in) was the perfect place to crank up some lovely house music and jump out of a tree into the water at. Fucker. But I am 100% going back there, it owned and fishing insanely steep rock ledges is something I've never done before.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
https://imgur.com/gallery/0SbGqQ3

She was YOUGE! I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever actually seen the backing on my 3wt

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

One of the best benefits of fishing with a doctor is the fresh bottle of Novocain I keep in my gear for just such an occasion. Ring nerve blocks make hook extraction much simpler.

I went to Alaska fishing with a dentist, and all he did was out fish me and have more money than I do. No drugs in sight

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I went to Alaska fishing with a dentist, and all he did was out fish me and have more money than I do. No drugs in sight

drat, it was really rude of him to do all of the drugs while you weren't around!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I just got my first big shark this morning, and not long after had a second. We finally had the right sort of weather to balloon some baits off the rocks, although when I got down there the wind was so light it was impossible to get a bait out. I cast a metal slug around for a bit and after a while the wind picked up enough to push the balloons out.

This spot has some shallow reef in close so I was testing a method of keeping the bait off the bottom using using lifesavers (a lolly with a hole through the middle in case it's one of those things you don't get in the US) - you tie a rubber band to the livesaver and tie that off to the mainline next to the balloon, then put the hook through the hole. This holds the bait up next to the balloon until the sugar dissolves and it drops down, hopefully once you're past the reef.

One of the baits was too heavy and kept breaking the lifesavers when I cast so I just shortened the leader and hoiked the bait out over the reef, the other one with the smaller bait worked really well though.

After a few hours I noticed one of the balloons had popped so I wound the line in a bit and felt a heavy weight on the other end. It held deep and didn't go on any runs so I assumed it was a skate, while that was happening there was a huge splash next to the other balloon and a dark fin broke the surface briefly. I looked over at the other rod and line was tearing off it, so I put the skate rod back in the rod holder and grabbed the one with the shark. After slugging it out for what felt like quite a long time I had my first big seven gill shark on the rocks. It would have been about 2m long and probably 40 or 50cm across at it's thickest. I don't know what weight that translates into but I couldn't lift the head end. Some people eat them but it was far more flake than I'd need and gently caress carrying something that size back to the car so I let it go, which was an adventure in itself. Standing on slippery rocks in knee deep water with an unhappy shark while waves keep coming in and washing said shark into your legs is not something I would recommend. Eventually I got it pointed the right way as a wave washed back out and it swam away.

All that time the other rod had what I still thought was skate on, so I started winding that in, eventually I got it close enough to the surface to see it was actually a wobbegong (a local bottom dwelling shark: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_wobbegong ). At the time I had no idea we got them in my area, and for some reason I had it in my head that they were protected. I didn't want to get this one up on the rocks after the experience of releasing the last shark so I maneuvered it around to where I could cut the leader close to the fish. Unfortunately I couldn't get any clear photos of it but they're a cool looking shark. It's hard to say how big it was but it looked about 1.5m-1.8m long and might've weighed 50-60kg. Afterwards I was telling some friends about it and it turns out they aren't protected and are extremely tasty so I just let a months worth of seafood dinners swim away.

After that I was completely stuffed - fighting fish with long rods is hard work - so I packed up my poo poo and went home.

The light brown thing that looks like a submerged rock is actually the wobbegong

This weekend we've had the Australian international airshow on so yesterday I took the kayak to a spot that is just a few kilometers from the end of the runway. The fishing was slow with just a couple of garfish and a squid, but it was a pretty good spot to watch the planes as all the bigger ones and the jets came straight over the top of where I was anchored.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
gently caress bag, how do you follow a giant shark post with some perch pulled up by hand-lining through the ice?:argh:

Went out Saturday around lunch and only found one keeper in an hour stint.

Disappointed, I tried again on Sunday for a 3:30pm to 6pm shift, and the bite was a lot better. I tossed back anything under 8” and kept a few.

Just three of us left around 6pm

The USA in the distance on the far side of the marina

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Motherfuckers are out there catching sharks and I'm just sitting here waiting for the PA trout season to open so I can catch some farmies.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Met Hooplah on the pier last Sunday. Beautiful spring morning but the fish weren't cooperating. I caught jack poo poo and Hooplah caught a little rock crab that had to go back. Striped perch and baitfish were nowhere to be found, which was unusual. Maybe they're going out to spawn?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did you fish the spaces between the rocks?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Did you fish the spaces between the rocks?

Didn't make it out to the coast, this is just the jetty protecting the local marina. We cast out against it as best we could, but the outgoing current was pulling bait all over the place.

Hoping to get out to the real jetty this coming weekend, especially since there's a daylight clam tide.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Didn't make it out to the coast, this is just the jetty protecting the local marina. We cast out against it as best we could, but the outgoing current was pulling bait all over the place.

Hoping to get out to the real jetty this coming weekend, especially since there's a daylight clam tide.

The jetty will have fish.

Look up poke pole fishing.

I’m available Sunday.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The jetty will have fish.

Look up poke pole fishing.

I’m available Sunday.

For the record, that jetty is disconnected from land so no poke poling out there. It's also a 100-200ft cast to hit the edge of the jetty from the pier, so it's a little challenging fishing it well. When the perch are around, though, people do really well targeting it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ahh I didn’t see the disconnect. Kayak time!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is pole poking suitable for lingcod? There's a lot of bamboo around here so I'm definitely interested in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nah it’s cabezon, rockfish and eel (of some sort, in CA we got monkey head).

I’ll make some copies of “instructions” on how to make a poke pole so you don’t try to reinvent the wheel. It’s a good thing to have to try alternatives when line and sinker are not being productive.