Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

barbecue at the folks posted:

Let's take a look outside the good ol' US of A for a while and look at a Finnish marvel, a four bedroom... sauna? https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/7882001

This pine paneling is a bit overbearing, don't you think?

Uh,

Even in the toilet?

Please stop. Stop it.

how do you sleep in there

Funny enough, this is the one room where you'd expect it and now it's horizontal all of a sudden

I'm gonna go have an anxiety attack now.

I think that the paneling is a little excessive, unless you're really into wood, but it looks well-done. At least they didn't use old shipping pallet wood, or shiplap siding with worn white paint. I can't hate it.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not sure you appreciate just how much wood Finland has at its disposal. If utilizing that to its full extent means your house ends up looking like a 70s youth hostel, so be it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not sure you appreciate just how much wood Finland has at its disposal. If utilizing that to its full extent means your house ends up looking like a 70s youth hostel, so be it.

I'm reading through Lars Myttings Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way , and it appears that people in that area of Europe have a poo poo-ton of wood at their disposal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
looks like a minecraft

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I assume the entire house is actually a sauna, not just the sauna

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I think wood house kicks rear end, even if it's a bit overwhelming for me. I'd probably have some wall hangings or something to break up the space so you're not staring at the same color all day.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

lovely photos of this farmhouse stuff always make me think of Fallout. Now I'm wondering if there's some Joanna Gaines mod out there. Every collapsing shanty is white and all the radroaches have been replaced with clocks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
That’s the only Finnish place I’ve ever seen without pine floorboards.

I think some white paint would quickly make that bearable. And as is, it’s at least not the horrible orangey varnish colour that you think of for pine furniture.

A more urgent problem would be having some way to block light in the bedroom. I understand liking a lot of light, but I have no idea how anyone sleeps in the summer. Been to Finland a couple of times and never stayed in an apartment with useful curtains.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, my problem is just with the way the all-encompassing pine looks, not with the idea of wood paneling per se. The color makes a large space feel like a cramped old summer cottage from the 1960s, it's just... oppressive.

And yeah, Finns have a lot of wood, it's just that most of it is pine and fit only for making toilet paper, not furnishings (fight me)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Wanna do mescaline in dat latrine

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

A more urgent problem would be having some way to block light in the bedroom. I understand liking a lot of light, but I have no idea how anyone sleeps in the summer. Been to Finland a couple of times and never stayed in an apartment with useful curtains.

Wear a sleeping mask, maybe? :shrug:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

Post apocalyptic Joana Gaines isn't my idea of a cute girl's bedroom, but ok...

the android aesthetic

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wear a sleeping mask, maybe? :shrug:

That’s not really a nice long term solution for your own home imo, more a travel thing. And way less comfortable.

It’s proven to damage your eyes long term if you sleep in light rooms.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

That’s not really a nice long term solution for your own home imo, more a travel thing. And way less comfortable.

Yeah but it's Finland so how light does it ever really get?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wooger posted:

Do you have a reference for this? I can only find a 1999 study on small children that explicitly disclaims causation (and I don’t have access to the whole article).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sleep in a womb-like room where the light is filtered through billions of capillaries

Your vision will be keener upon awakening

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's Finland so do most of your sleeping in the winter and stay awake most of the summer like the rest of the Fins.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
is there an interior design thread where we can discuss which sofa bed we like best

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

you
are
here

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Breath Ray posted:

is there an interior design thread where we can discuss which sofa bed we like best

This thread is it, as far as I know: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post492464412

It helps if you post some example pictures, that makes it slightly more likely other people will post useful pictures. It's also a mock thread though, so it may not go the way you hope. :shrug:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

acceptable

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

This thread is it, as far as I know: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post492464412

It helps if you post some example pictures, that makes it slightly more likely other people will post useful pictures. It's also a mock thread though, so it may not go the way you hope. :shrug:

smashing! will upload some. slightly differeent situation to the poster you linked to as its for a place i let out

the pic above reminds me that this would be a great 'statement wall'

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What statement does that art make

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Standing in front of that would make me feel like a character in a LucasArts game searching for clues.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

TheManWithNoName posted:

Standing in front of that would make me feel like a character in a LucasArts game searching for clues.

I am relieved(?) to discover that you can, in fact, buy a giant Where's Waldo mural to hang on your wall. It's a lot cheaper than I was expecting, too, only $26.

Unfortunately I think it would give me nightmares about chasing that stripe-shirted rear end in a top hat, so I'm out going to get it.

https://odditymall.com/wheres-waldo-wall-mural

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Karia posted:

I am relieved(?) to discover that you can, in fact, buy a giant Where's Waldo mural to hang on your wall. It's a lot cheaper than I was expecting, too, only $26.

Unfortunately I think it would give me nightmares about chasing that stripe-shirted rear end in a top hat, so I'm out going to get it.

https://odditymall.com/wheres-waldo-wall-mural

Put this up then arrange it so furniture or a light switch is blocking Waldo and the image can't be solved. Drive your guests (and burglars) mad!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
A challenge!

Find a living room set uglier than this and you win a prize.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

there wolf posted:

A challenge!

Find a living room set uglier than this and you win a prize.

Never challenge us. That poo poo is tame.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Never challenge us. That poo poo is tame.

Nice try. Those things are all over second hand selling aps and their horribleness has long since become passe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Inflatable furniture: The smart choice so when the tornado/hurricane/flood comes your furniture just harmlessly flies away instead of becoming a pile of mouldy splinters.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had an inflatable chair in the 90s and it was awesome to sit in when playing Playstation except when you fell backwards in it and ripped the whole console off the cabinet.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Shame on y'all for not posting this:

Also, googling "vagina couch" nets more results than one might think.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Shame on y'all for not posting this:

Also, googling "vagina couch" nets more results than one might think.

There's nothing ugly about vagina couch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ah, Laura Ashley’s O'Keeffe line.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Here's my entry. I found this at a furniture auction. Probably the only way to sell something like this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

Here's my entry. I found this at a furniture auction. Probably the only way to sell something like this.

It is beautiful and I would pay tens of dollars for it. Yes, I am a middle-aged spinster, why do you ask?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It could fit easily 30 cats on it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

theflyingexecutive posted:

It could fit easily 30 cats on in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bEatmstrJ posted:

I like the rug, it really ties the room together.