Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

The main thing to me is securing the land. Eventually we're gonna want to build a hsr/hyperloop/whatever and the land costs aren't going to go down over time.

For the ag land it probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Of course, ag land in the valley is literally going down. Due to subsistence. Because farmers keep overdrawing the aquafer.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

government land purchases are of course one of the biggest opportunities for nearly untraceable graft. it is a long american tradition

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shear Modulus posted:

government land purchases are of course one of the biggest opportunities for nearly untraceable graft. it is a long american tradition

Aren't like half of all westerns "the train is coming through here and the local rich goons are trying to screw over the common man"?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Doubly so in the west where the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo meant that unverified and forged Mexican Land grants were enshrined in US law. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Reavis

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

Aren't like half of all westerns "the train is coming through here and the local rich goons are trying to screw over the common man"?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Look out folks, Trump is coming for his money:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1095857587344551936

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We only pretend the cities in the central valley are small because we're comparing them to places like LA and SF

Fresno is larger than the largest city in 28 states, Bakersfield in 22 states, and Modesto in 18 states, and they're the largest cities in the US not on an interstate. Fresno is bigger than Sacramento, it sucks that this is gonna be central valley only, but they deserve infrastructure too. And maybe, if we build them that poo poo,m we won't have to do a crazy route when we try to connect LA to SF

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Glumslinger posted:

Modesto in 18 states

well thats just depressing for those 18 states

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Glumslinger posted:

We only pretend the cities in the central valley are small because we're comparing them to places like LA and SF

Fresno is larger than the largest city in 28 states, Bakersfield in 22 states, and Modesto in 18 states, and they're the largest cities in the US not on an interstate. Fresno is bigger than Sacramento, it sucks that this is gonna be central valley only, but they deserve infrastructure too. And maybe, if we build them that poo poo,m we won't have to do a crazy route when we try to connect LA to SF

It's probably getting funded in the future anyhow.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just build the trains oh my God I don't care if it doesn't benefit me in the big city. Just build more trains. Build them. Use my taxes. loving use them. Make infrastructure

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well thats just depressing for those 18 states

Yeah, but they have the same amount of senators as us.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just build the trains oh my God I don't care if it doesn't benefit me in the big city. Just build more trains. Build them. Use my taxes. loving use them. Make infrastructure

No

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Look, building high speed rail is just too expensive, that’s why we should spend way more money to convert the 99 to an interstate, add new lanes to the 5, 14, and 580 because this time adding lanes will fix traffic, bulldoze half of Atherton to build a additional airport in the Bay Area, add a 3rd and 4th runway to Burbank and John Wayne Airports, as well as lengthen the runways at John Wayne to handle future travel demand.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Look, building high speed rail is just too expensive, that’s why we should spend way more money to convert the 99 to an interstate, add new lanes to the 5, 14, and 580 because this time adding lanes will fix traffic, bulldoze half of Atherton to build a additional airport in the Bay Area, add a 3rd and 4th runway to Burbank and John Wayne Airports, as well as lengthen the runways at John Wayne to handle future travel demand.

Hear me out here...

what if, instead, we just gave all that money to existing homeowners and cut their property taxes? That'd solve the problem too, right?

*gets re-elected*

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Who could have predicted that he'd exploit this totally unforced mistake??

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Danann posted:

This line of logic that demands that welfare is to be means tested and perfectly matched to need is the source of every loving "perverse incentive" in American implementation of welfare.
I've been working with some people to start a small part time business and this poo poo is our biggest hang up. Prospective partners aren't afraid of losing their initial investment, but some are absolutely terrified of mild success.

It is absolutely bonkers that they even have to worry about losing healthcare, scholarships, etc... Earning more should always be better even if just marginally so.

E: oops I missed 2 pages of train chat.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 14, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm sorry the only infrastructure possible is toll-roads that privatize profits.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should slap an airport in Humboldt

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think it's just a matter of shifting priorities. CAHSR was the kind of product that made sense when it seemed like "well of course federal universal health care is an inevitability" and it looked like the GOP wasn't going anywhere so all worries about future federal funding wouldn't be an issue.

Turns out they actually made good traction on the idea that only people who can afford to keep living should live and we're better off without the people who can't, with potential of seizing power and setting the federal government back 40 years, so the new California trend is state-run single-payer to immunize itself against conservative administrations to come. The train can be enjoyed by the cowpoke counties, the next big California project is giving everyone Doctors visits while the rest of the country plans to gut their poorest.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

I’m still real pissed they didn’t convert the old El Toro military base into a new OC airport and instead they just built a bunch of overpriced houses.

The infrastructure was already there you morons!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

the next big California project is giving everyone Doctors visits while the rest of the country plans to gut their poorest.

Nah we're just gonna bus the poor and ill into nevada, probably at their own expense :ca:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Craptacular! posted:

The train can be enjoyed by the cowpoke counties, the next big California project is giving everyone Doctors visits while the rest of the country plans to gut their poorest.

Isn't that... optimistic? I mean last time Rendon deep-sixed SB-562. Is Gavin going to push it that hard, or just simply make more favorable noises when compared to Brown? Unless you think the makeup of the state congressfolk is going to shift that drastically?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Speaking of which, that poo poo needs to get going again.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Until they solve the (likely unsolvable) structural issues, no one is going to attach their name to it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Until they solve the (likely unsolvable) structural issues

This really sums up your posts. You really are the epitome of that parody "a better world isn't possible" tweet about centrists.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This really sums up your posts. You really are the epitome of that parody "a better world isn't possible" tweet about centrists.
I don't understand your complaint. The world isn't the way it is because a bunch of guys who look like Rich Uncle Pennybags sit around a smoke-filled room and ask each other, "how can we make things bad?" Problems are often extremely complex, and difficult, and not amenable to popular solutions, which is itself a problem in a democracy. If someone asks me how they can lose weight without changing their diet, the answer is going to be "lots of exercise" irrespective of whether or not that's something they want to do.

People who want to enact state level single payer healthcare have no way to force the Federal government to give them greater control of the Medicare and VA money/patient populations. They have no way to force drug companies to offer price reductions. They have to convince people to vote to give up their current healthcare. There is no practical plan to prevents citizens of other states from coming to California for expensive medical care without excluding the homeless and illegal immigrants. These are very difficult problems. The fact that I cannot think of a good solution for any of them does not mean that I am somehow wrong for bringing them up, or that these problems should not be acknowledged.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't understand your complaint. The world isn't the way it is because a bunch of guys who look like Rich Uncle Pennybags sit around a smoke-filled room and ask each other, "how can we make things bad?" Problems are often extremely complex, and difficult, and not amenable to popular solutions, which is itself a problem in a democracy. If someone asks me how they can lose weight without changing their diet, the answer is going to be "lots of exercise" irrespective of whether or not that's something they want to do.

This argument is bad, because you're wrong about weight loss, because they might not lose weight with the exercise, and if they want to lose a lot of weight without dieting they see a dietician who can help them do just that.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 15, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

This argument is bad, because you're wrong about weight loss, because they might not lose weight with the exercise, and if they want to lose a lot of weight without dieting they see a nutritionist who can help them do just that.
In California, a dietitian is a licensed professional. A nutritionist is anyone willing to give you advice about food who wants to hang a shingle. I'm curious what you think a dietitian does in a 1-on-1 consult with a patient other than "make suggestions about changes to your diet (or lifestyle) in order to meet health goals."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

In California, a dietitian is a licensed professional. A nutritionist is anyone willing to give you advice about food who wants to hang a shingle. I'm curious what you think a dietitian does in a 1-on-1 consult with a patient other than "make suggestions about changes to your diet (or lifestyle) in order to meet health goals."

I'm really glad you like to get pedantic when you're wrong, I've lost 120lbs seeing my Dietician, and the one thing she repeatedly said was that dieting wasn't work. But also, I know you don't like being told you're wrong even when you are so I can't engage with you. Since you're unwilling to ever change your mind, or do anything but be a dick to people. I'm not going to put myself through the mental anguish of debating you. Please don't take this personally, because I beliebe you can post better.

E: You also kind of proven you don't know the difference between eating a healthy diet and dieting.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 15, 2019

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
also wrong about rich people not sitting around asking each other how best to make the world worse

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman-asks-is-curing-patients-a-sustainable-business-model.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unredacted-lawsuit-against-oxycontin-maker-reveals-they-pushed-opioid-low-n965721

i could also post links from the oil and gas industry, the private school industry, the private prison industry, the 'defense' industry, commercial fishing, telecommunications, bottled water companies, the chemical industry, industrial agriculture ESPECIALLY here in california and go on for-loving ever with examples of how actually yes, a lot of the ways the world is like it is is because capital embodied in rich fucks in boardrooms benefit from and actively advance the misery and deprivation of humanity

we can cure hep c right now. it could be wiped out in our lifetime if it didn't benefit a handful of executives to maintain a hep c treatment industry

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 15, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, but the curriculum for dietitians is pretty much what agribusiness wants it to be.

example:

quote:

The Foundation’s Future of Food initiative began in 2012 as a collaboration with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation, Feeding America and National Dairy Council. The initial work of this collaboration engaged nutrition and hunger relief professionals to increase awareness about food insecurity while promoting access to healthy food and quality nutrition education in food banks. I

Dairy is poo poo for health (and the environment). Limit it or eliminate it from your diet. Casein is a tumor promoter for one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4166373/

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

atelier morgan posted:

also wrong about rich people not sitting around asking each other how best to make the world worse

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman-asks-is-curing-patients-a-sustainable-business-model.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unredacted-lawsuit-against-oxycontin-maker-reveals-they-pushed-opioid-low-n965721

i could also post links from the oil and gas industry, the private school industry, the private prison industry, the 'defense' industry, commercial fishing, telecommunications, bottled water companies, the chemical industry, industrial agriculture ESPECIALLY here in california and go on for-loving ever with examples of how actually yes, a lot of the ways the world is like it is is because capital embodied in rich fucks in boardrooms benefit from and actively advance the misery and deprivation of humanity

we can cure hep c right now. it could be wiped out in our lifetime if it didn't benefit a handful of executives to maintain a hep c treatment industry

I was about to post something like this, but then I read the warning label next to Dead's posts. Still worth remembering that people you've never met are actively working hard to gently caress you.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So California has had more rain so far this year than last entire year.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
good can it gently caress off then

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

still need a shitload more to even come close to replenishing most groundwater tables across the state

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jaxyon posted:

So California has had more rain so far this year than last entire year.

This is what we saw during rain season 2017 too and then 2018 came

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1096553514061520896

You might remember Redding from when the Carr fire nearly burned it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tuxedo Gin posted:

still need a shitload more to even come close to replenishing most groundwater tables across the state

Like about a decade straight of this. The central valley farmers have been overpumping that "free" groundwater since the 1920s.