Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

UnfurledSails posted:

snowstorm closed my gym :(

shovel some snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I did bench again after a longish break, and ran later. It's a weird feeling, your titties/pecs sore and bouncing.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I went ice skating last night. I'll call it cardio.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fhqwhgads posted:

I went ice skating last night. I'll call it cardio.

I tried this yet again the other day.. I just don't loving get it. I don't think I'll ever be able to skate, ski, or anything else that requires balance. I guess I put all my points into having a huge rear end dick instead of ice skating.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

soy posted:

I tried this yet again the other day.. I just don't loving get it. I don't think I'll ever be able to skate, ski, or anything else that requires balance. I guess I put all my points into having a huge rear end dick instead of ice skating.

If your dick is really that huge, do it backwards, and it will act like a tail and stabilize you.

Or if it's really big just let it flop behind you between your legs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
get a smaller size ice skate to put on it and skate around like a tripod

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Anyone have direct experience with both Adidas Powerlifts (or equivalent budget lifting shoes) and actual weightlifting shoes? Does the .75" vs. 0.6" heel make a noticeable difference? I have the Powerlifts and I keep falling forward now that I've switched to high-bar. I'm sure most of it is just that my legs are weak in comparison to my back from doing low-bar for so long. Oly shoes would be cool but I don't snatch or clean so seems a little overkill for just squats.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can walk around in my powerlift 2.0s while real oly shoes are stupid clogs. Such a hassle to change shoes all the time, nobody wants that.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

feelix posted:

Anyone have direct experience with both Adidas Powerlifts (or equivalent budget lifting shoes) and actual weightlifting shoes? Does the .75" vs. 0.6" heel make a noticeable difference? I have the Powerlifts and I keep falling forward now that I've switched to high-bar. I'm sure most of it is just that my legs are weak in comparison to my back from doing low-bar for so long. Oly shoes would be cool but I don't snatch or clean so seems a little overkill for just squats.

Falling forward as in leaning too far over on the ascent, or like falling forward trying to maintain the bottom position...?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

abgushte badamjan posted:

Falling forward as in leaning too far over on the ascent, or like falling forward trying to maintain the bottom position...?

The latter, so I guess that would mean shoes wouldn't help? I have zero issues assuming a good deep squat

E: well I guess I do feel my weight shift to my toes in the hole sometimes

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

feelix posted:

The latter, so I guess that would mean shoes wouldn't help? I have zero issues assuming a good deep squat

E: well I guess I do feel my weight shift to my toes in the hole sometimes

A higher heel might help or it might make it worse :shrug: if your weight is going too far on your toes it could be because the bar is over that part of your foot in the bottom position

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

abgushte badamjan posted:

A higher heel might help or it might make it worse :shrug: if your weight is going too far on your toes it could be because the bar is over that part of your foot in the bottom position

Not could, does

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
that what was happening to me, ever since my coach has cued me to get my idiot elbows down it made a pretty big difference. not sure if feelix has that issue or not. ben pollack just released a video on talon grip specifically to help remedy that too if anyone is interested.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTPJ6W--bY&t=9s

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sounds like you aren't letting your knees move forward enough. Try getting your knees past your toes.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I don't think any of these are my problem. I'm perfectly capable of performing a perfect high bar squat at challenging, but submaximal weights. I think I just need stronger legs

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Put some plates under your heels and that will tell you if a larger heeled shoe will help.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
I recently went from Adidas Power Perfect 3s which are .75 inches to Reebok Legacy Lifters which are .85 inches and I do notice a slight difference in that I feel I can squat slightly deeper now.

Although that could be all in my head as I try to justify the fact I spent £180 on some loving chrome space shoes.

As for falling forward, I still do that occasionally if I do not pull the bar down onto my back tightly or something causes my core to lose tightness, like not bracing correctly or breathing out while I am still at the bottom.

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 15, 2019

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I switched from the Powerlift 3s (.6") to the Leistung 16.IIs (1") and it's a very noticeable difference. I got them when I was messing around with some Oly lifting last summer. I really like them for high bar squats and front squats. I never had ankle mobility issues I just find they help me stay more upright (which is what they're supposed to do). I have weird long giraffe legs though. Also I got them on sale.

Whipstickagostop posted:

Although that could be all in my head as I try to justify the fact I spent £180 on some loving chrome space shoes.

this sounds like an excellent investment tbh

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Luv 2 watch personal trainers with people brand new to lifting and fitness in general.

ok we're gonna start with some squats standing on this upside down bosu ball, yeah looks good

alright now come to this t-bar row, i loaded it with 5 5lb weights. you're going to do 10 repetitions, then i'll take off a 5, then do 8, drop a 5, 6, drop a 5, etc. i'll let you know if you need more or less once you get started.

now, before you walk over here it's a good idea to eat within 30 minutes of leaving, and the walking will help your body begin to utilize those nutrients and make them available. then after you leave you should take some BCAAs and either fast until dinner or eat a protein heavy meal within 30 minutes

I mean, I guess if the goal is to keep clients you have an interest in making fitness seem like this enigmatic, inscrutable magic that only a Personal Trainer (tm) can unlock for you through their arcane knowledge but gently caress, these people come for a week and then go "welp, that's WAY too loving complicated and hard, guess lifting isn't for me"

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I fear I might be the only person in my gym who can squat at or below parallel, and it scares me.

Yesterday I saw someone doing bench presses without the bench. He just did it laying on the floor. Why??

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

I fear I might be the only person in my gym who can squat at or below parallel, and it scares me.

Yesterday I saw someone doing bench presses without the bench. He just did it laying on the floor. Why??

That's legit. It's a bench accessory lift.

Of course 99% of people doing it don't need to but that's neither here nor there.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

UnfurledSails posted:

Floor press is a pretty standard exercise. Realistically it's probably one of the many exercises popularized by Westside that are mainly useful for geared lifters but whatever, people can do it if they want some variety

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

feelix posted:

Floor press is a pretty standard exercise. Realistically it's probably one of the many exercises popularized by Westside that are mainly useful for geared lifters but whatever, people can do it if they want some variety

Well I learned something new. Isn't it the same as bench press except with less ROM? If you laid on a bench and did the same ROM wouldn't it be even better since you would have to stop your descent yourself instead of having the floor stop you?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It really just depends. There are variations like the spoto press where you do something similar to that where you pause about an inch off the chest without anything to stop you. Sometimes it's helpful to just change things up to keep stuff from getting stale or whatever.

Also I tried front squatting 225 today and it sucked. Had the power for sure but technique was pretty yikes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

Well I learned something new. Isn't it the same as bench press except with less ROM? If you laid on a bench and did the same ROM wouldn't it be even better since you would have to stop your descent yourself instead of having the floor stop you?

Most people do not need to do specific accessory lifts for bench. Almost everyone's time is better served hitting the main lifts and stretching, but you can't tell people that.

floor bench is going to force you to work stabilizers in the shoulder capsule and pecs and really hammer the triceps, since you don't have that bounce to count on coming out of the bottom. not that anyone in this thread would ever bounce the bar on a bench.......

working the negative isn't really beneficial for floor bench since ideally you won't be doing a weight that's challenging. Putting a fail risk weight on for floor is how dumb injuries happen.

another way you'll see people do something similar is having blocks on their chest. i think that would be a better way to get a similar stimulus but ymmv.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

I lifted with a guy for like a year and one day he wanted me to pressure wash his house and when I got there he asked me to do it for free or half or some poo poo and I said no then he went off on how hes never gonna lift with me anymore unless I pay and he had allready shared too much of his knowledge with me and I was ungrateful. That was a tough break up.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Most people do not need to do specific accessory lifts for bench. Almost everyone's time is better served hitting the main lifts and stretching, but you can't tell people that.

floor bench is going to force you to work stabilizers in the shoulder capsule and pecs and really hammer the triceps, since you don't have that bounce to count on coming out of the bottom. not that anyone in this thread would ever bounce the bar on a bench.......

working the negative isn't really beneficial for floor bench since ideally you won't be doing a weight that's challenging. Putting a fail risk weight on for floor is how dumb injuries happen.

another way you'll see people do something similar is having blocks on their chest. i think that would be a better way to get a similar stimulus but ymmv.

Lots and lots of regular bench probably gets boring. Also some variations might feel better in regards to things like shoulders being aggravated or whatever. I agree beginners probably don't need to worry about them, but once people start to hit intermediate and bench more frequently, I think variations can be good to throw in on the other days, even if just to spice things up a bit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I liked board presses because my gym had a big block of wood near the benches and props are fun.

But eventually I learned the truth and stopped benching altogether.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

But eventually I learned the truth and stopped benching altogether.

welcome to nirvana, my child.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bench is an accessory lift, like maybe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The bottom of the bench press is not good for people with some shoulder issues. The floor press lets them do a heavy horizontal push without the risk of aggravating their shoulders.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Interestingly, a wider grip limits the degree of shoulder extension. So while a wider bench will put more torque on your shoulder joint than a narrower bench with the same weight on the bar, the wider bench will altogether avoid the most extended part of the range of motion of the shoulder. If you have shoulder problems and still insist on benching like an idiot (me), don't just assume that narrower is safer.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I go with my ring fingers almost 33" wide which is where the rings are on a lot of the bars and touch a bit higher on my chest. It feels much better on my shoulders than a close grip bench does. The lower you touch(you generally need to touch lower the closer your grip) the more your delts have to work. However, this also lets your shoulders become a bit more externally rotated. So it's basically more external rotation, but more stress on the front delts, or more internal rotation but with your chest doing more of the work. Depending on exactly what's going on with your shoulders either one of those might feel better. You just have to feel it out.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Half an apple pie is an acceptable post workout meal, right?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Bench rules, doing lots of variations is fun, floor press takes leg drive out of the equation and is very different than board presses. I almost never do floor presses because what am i going to do, lie down on the ground and then stand back up? Under my own power? That kind of nonsense is not why i go to the gym

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/normal_now/status/1096570517027467265?s=19

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I widened my grip on the bench couple of months back and it felt good for some time, but in the long run my shoulders don't like it.

I tried the really narrow grip Matt Wenning recommends and was surprised how good it felt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0OHR-gyiA

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VorpalFish posted:

Half an apple pie is an acceptable post workout meal, right?

No. Cheap frozen pizza and a coffee is the only reasonable choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

How are you going to injure yourself with a floor press? Unless you got a bunch of 25s on the ground literally keeps the bar from falling on your face or neck if you drop it.