Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm guessing that the state expected them to pay some tax?

the opposite - big companies like this tend to extort localities for sweet breaks on taxes and even subsidies if necessary, and NYC wasn't willing to play ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doctor Butts posted:

Crystal Pepsi did it all on its own.

Stephen Denny published an interview with former Coca-Cola Chief Marketing Officer Sergio Zyman that stated the formation and subsequent failure of Tab Clear was a deliberate move to destroy Crystal Pepsi, capitalizing on the public's lack of understanding of Pepsi's heavily marketed product. Tab Clear was marketed as a diet drink, which were less popular than traditional colas, and the Tab brand in general was seen as an inferior product to flagships like Coca-Cola or Pepsi. With Tab Clear being placed in such close proximity to Crystal Pepsi, the image of both brands would be damaged in what Zyman called a "kamikaze" strategy. "This is like a cola," Zyman explained, "but it doesn't have any color. It has all this great taste. And we said, 'No, Crystal Pepsi is actually a diet drink.' Even though it wasn't. Because Tab had the attributes of diet, which was its demise. That was its problem. It was perceived to be a medicinal drink. Within three or five months, Tab Clear was dead. And so was Crystal Pepsi."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is there any relation to Pepsi Blue? I couldn't get enough of that stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

luxury handset posted:

the opposite - big companies like this tend to extort localities for sweet breaks on taxes and even subsidies if necessary, and NYC wasn't willing to play ball

So the local government wasn't going to essentially pay them to underpay and brutally overwork their people while making billions already... how dare they!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Haha get hosed Amazon.

quote:

While polls show that 70% of New Yorkers support our plans and investment, a number of state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project we and many others envisioned in Long Island City.
https://blog.aboutamazon.com/company-news/update-on-plans-for-new-york-city-headquarters

Yeah, sure chief, we believe you. :jerkbag:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wow Amazon became a toxic brand practically overnight (or, perhaps in the span of four years). Taking a lot of attention off how poo poo Walmart is in the popular consciousness, for instance.

Really hard to spin this as anything but a spectacular failure at PR. Maybe they'll learn to get their tax breaks done on the DL like normal companies instead of pretending their poo poo is golden. I really get the sense that the culture at Amazon is arrogant at this point, probably not unlike Microsoft in the 90's.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1096088583608389633?s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeah, sure chief, we believe you. :jerkbag:
[/quote]

"If only MORE of the vast majority of people appropriately fluffed us then maybe we would have stayed"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wow Amazon became a toxic brand practically overnight (or, perhaps in the span of four years).

I couldn't finish this because it was making me genuinely ill, but all I read was "We are a bunch of self-aggrandizing sociopaths who look down on anyone who isn't willing to destroy their mental and physical health for the sake of finding more ways to get people to shop (and make us more money)."

Articles like these remind me that, for all of my flaws, there are much greater depths that people can sink to in the name of so-called "innovation", which of course means "profit". I take things like this as a warning that love of money is the root of all evil and to always be wary of that most vile of human emotions, greed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I couldn't finish this because it was making me genuinely ill, but all I read was "We are a bunch of self-aggrandizing sociopaths who look down on anyone who isn't willing to destroy their mental and physical health for the sake of finding more ways to get people to shop (and make us more money)."

Articles like these remind me that, for all of my flaws, there are much greater depths that people can sink to in the name of so-called "innovation", which of course means "profit". I take things like this as a warning that love of money is the root of all evil and to always be wary of that most vile of human emotions, greed.

I posted this because it was a really big deal at the time, especially locally here in Seattle. From this point onward the drumbeat against Amazon has gotten louder and louder. It is one of NYtimes' most commented articles.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DrNutt posted:

They actually did a rerelease last year. I ran out and bought some and it was okay I guess but not enough for me to waste insulin on it.

Thank you so much! I loved crystal Pepsi growing up and it turns out our local Targets still have some. Will do a trip report.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

So the local government wasn't going to essentially pay them to underpay and brutally overwork their people while making billions already... how dare they!

The local government already agreed to a bunch of giveaways. They had been approved to receive tax breaks of $2.8b if everything went as planned and even up to $5.5b if they hire more workers. All while their subway system continues to crumble.

There was then a grassroots effort after the announcement (highlighted by AOC) to get the agreement pulled and Amazon backed out due to pressure from the community. A good win for the locals.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
If it means tens of thousands of more tech workers in the Virginia office instead too its probably good for America as a whole. Moving another load of Democrat voters there will help keep the state blue for presidential elections, and its two senators Democratic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I posted this because it was a really big deal at the time, especially locally here in Seattle. From this point onward the drumbeat against Amazon has gotten louder and louder. It is one of NYtimes' most commented articles.

FCKGW posted:

The local government already agreed to a bunch of giveaways. They had been approved to receive tax breaks of $2.8b if everything went as planned and even up to $5.5b if they hire more workers. All while their subway system continues to crumble.

There was then a grassroots effort after the announcement (highlighted by AOC) to get the agreement pulled and Amazon backed out due to pressure from the community. A good win for the locals.

Good. If there is any greater indicator of the degeneracy and "race to the bottom" reality of current global economic systems, the idea that a massivele profitable company worth tens of billions should be applauded for wanting to come into an area, create a bunch of poor-paying and inhumane jobs, piss on the environment and then give nothing back to the community while raking in more billions. The only way to stop it is public outcry, because politicians are entirely in their pockets and they will only do something if they fear repercussions for not doing so.

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you so much! I loved crystal Pepsi growing up and it turns out our local Targets still have some. Will do a trip report.

I understood it to be the case that Crystal Pepsi was supposed to taste like standard blue-can Pepsi without the colour. Either I'm wrong about this or something is wrong with my tongue because I've had two bottles fairly recently and they don't taste like Pepsi to me. They're not at all bad, they just don't taste like Pepsi.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Eddie Lambert resigned as Chairman of Sears today.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wow Amazon became a toxic brand practically overnight (or, perhaps in the span of four years). Taking a lot of attention off how poo poo Walmart is in the popular consciousness, for instance.

Came to post basically this. It's crazy how relatively fast they've gotten people to hate them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

JustJeff88 posted:

I understood it to be the case that Crystal Pepsi was supposed to taste like standard blue-can Pepsi without the colour. Either I'm wrong about this or something is wrong with my tongue because I've had two bottles fairly recently and they don't taste like Pepsi to me. They're not at all bad, they just don't taste like Pepsi.

No, it never was supposed to taste just like standard Pepsi. It always tasted different.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Neo Rasa posted:

Came to post basically this. It's crazy how relatively fast they've gotten people to hate them.

I think a big factor in this is that Amazon has progressively given less poo poo about the consumer. With fake products, fake reviews, prime shipping shenanigans, contract shippers losing/stealing poo poo all builds to people disliking the company. All of those things have been getting amplified over the years and paired with prime membership cost increases.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

OhFunny posted:

Eddie Lambert resigned as Chairman of Sears today.

Wunderbar! It won't save Sears or their few remaining grossly underpaid employees, but literally nothing is too bad to happen to that Randian shitstain. I will say nothing more about him as I'm afraid that I will be banned.

Silly Burrito posted:

No, it never was supposed to taste just like standard Pepsi. It always tasted different.

That's good to know, thank you. I actually feel better because I was wondering if age was stealing my sense of taste already even though I have never smoked and loathe spicy food. As I've aged, I've been losing my youthful fondness for sugared soda. I still love carbonated beverages, both alcoholic and not, but my weakness now is diet soda. I just like bubbles.

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope that it continues. Don't misconstrue... I fully realise that any sizeable corporation is just as guilty of being awful as any other - it's the nature of the world economic system - but Amazon and Walmart are the biggest fish, therefore the biggest bastards and deserve the most venom.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that it continues. Don't misconstrue... I fully realise that any sizeable corporation is just as guilty of being awful as any other - it's the nature of the world economic system - but Amazon and Walmart are the biggest fish, therefore the biggest bastards and deserve the most venom.

I don't think that's at all true. Walmart continues to break new ground in ways to gently caress people over and try to create a literal debt peonage class in the US, and Amazon seems hell-bent on "innovating" all new ways to gently caress their employees and customers over.

Nordstroms, or Costco, are both decent sized corporations that have decided that treating their employees and customers decently is a business strategy, and it has worked relatively well for both of them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Amazon is like, super consistently in america's top favorite brands. Like looking it up it looks like they only dropped out of 1st most popular/favorable brand because google (and hershey's???) went up in popularity while amazon's stayed at 76%

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JustJeff88 posted:

Wunderbar! It won't save Sears or their few remaining grossly underpaid employees, but literally nothing is too bad to happen to that Randian shitstain. I will say nothing more about him as I'm afraid that I will be banned.

He still owns Sears, though, this is a move to restore confidence on the part of the company's creditors.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

JustJeff88 posted:

I was stunned to see a few bottles of that recently at remote shops. I had a bit and it wasn't bad, I was just gobsmacked to still see it.
They've been doing some periodic runs of it lately in response to some retro enthusiasm. There's some irony in that the retro enthusiasm exists in large part because the product failed.

See also: Zima, Surge.

JustJeff88 posted:

Good. If there is any greater indicator of the degeneracy and "race to the bottom" reality of current global economic systems, the idea that a massivele profitable company worth tens of billions should be applauded for wanting to come into an area, create a bunch of poor-paying and inhumane jobs, piss on the environment and then give nothing back to the community while raking in more billions.
The problem in Amazon's case is not that the jobs are bad, it's that the jobs are good, and will gently caress the housing market sideways.

The bigger issue is that regardless of whether Amazon's presence in the area would be a net gain or loss (I'm inclined to think net gain) or whether the tax incentives would be made back (they probably would), the city should not be groveling to the tune of billions of dollars for it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

The problem in Amazon's case is not that the jobs are bad, it's that the jobs are good, and will gently caress the housing market sideways.

The bigger issue is that regardless of whether Amazon's presence in the area would be a net gain or loss (I'm inclined to think net gain) or whether the tax incentives would be made back (they probably would), the city should not be groveling to the tune of billions of dollars for it.

If they had not done the most arrogant thing possible by turning an expansion office into a national contest in which community leaders grovel before Lord Bezos, we might not even be hearing about this. Now the media is laser-focused on it, helping it to become a political issue. If it wasn't Bezos himself who thought of this idea, whichever executive did is being led to the agony booth right now. This is what they have to show for a year or so of work. They will still take poo poo when they move it around. If a recession hits before they can sort that out, they may have lost years.

Also not helping:

- The Amazon office culture still has a toxic reputation
- The Amazon delivery culture is worse than toxic
- The company's philanthropy is pathetic, considering its scale
- The selling community on Amazon is the wild west
- Anyone from Seattle can tell you that Amazon's political and infrastructural influence on the city has been a giant negative

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People are finally getting a clue as to just how much they are being robbed at a state and local level in the name of "business incentives" and Amazon definitely hosed this one up

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think that's at all true. Walmart continues to break new ground in ways to gently caress people over and try to create a literal debt peonage class in the US, and Amazon seems hell-bent on "innovating" all new ways to gently caress their employees and customers over.

Nordstroms, or Costco, are both decent sized corporations that have decided that treating their employees and customers decently is a business strategy, and it has worked relatively well for both of them.

One of the most amazing things I ever read was a list of the top 10 grocery retailers by... I forget the exact metrics, but whatever they used pegged Costco at number three. The main thrust of the piece was giving each number a couple paragraphs on how they achieved such success. It ended up laid out something like this:

1. Walmart
2. Target
4. Kroger
etc.

:thunk:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
RIP Payless, closing all stores:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90308648/what-2100-payless-store-closures-say-about-the-death-of-fast-fashion

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

OneEightHundred posted:

They've been doing some periodic runs of it lately in response to some retro enthusiasm. There's some irony in that the retro enthusiasm exists in large part because the product failed.

Hope that means the Archburger comes back. That was McDonalds only burger I ever liked and I wasn't even an adult when it debuted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I'm sad that this, well, saddens me. As a man with huge feet who doesn't give a toss about fashion and only cares about plain black shoes that keep his feet warm and dry, they were grand. I genuinely am not sure where I'm going to get shoes from now on, and I've stocked up as I knew that this was coming. My one pair of winter boots needs replacing (I'd have them repaired if that was still a thing) and I can't nearly afford a really expensive but well-made pair of men's winter boots like in certain speciality shops.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sad that this, well, saddens me. As a man with huge feet who doesn't give a toss about fashion and only cares about plain black shoes that keep his feet warm and dry, they were grand. I genuinely am not sure where I'm going to get shoes from now on, and I've stocked up as I knew that this was coming. My one pair of winter boots needs replacing (I'd have them repaired if that was still a thing) and I can't nearly afford a really expensive but well-made pair of men's winter boots like in certain speciality shops.

Internet, and repairing shoes is definitely still a thing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

HootTheOwl posted:

Internet, and repairing shoes is definitely still a thing.

I reeeeaaallly don't like buying any type of clothes online as I cannot try them on first and it's usually both costly and a pain in the arse to exchange/refund. As for the latter bit, I will look into it. Haven't a seen a shoemaker/cobbler/Duke of Wellington in yonks.

By the way, I am aware that Arthur Wellesley didn't invent wellies, he just made them famous.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JustJeff88 posted:

I reeeeaaallly don't like buying any type of clothes online as I cannot try them on first and it's usually both costly and a pain in the arse to exchange/refund. As for the latter bit, I will look into it. Haven't a seen a shoemaker/cobbler/Duke of Wellington in yonks.

By the way, I am aware that Arthur Wellesley didn't invent wellies, he just made them famous.

Lemme just say if a shurt doesnt fit from amazon i usually buy a new one and toss the old one. The process of returning poo poo is way to time consuming

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lemme just say if a shurt doesnt fit from amazon i usually buy a new one and toss the old one. The process of returning poo poo is way to time consuming

Wow you're either stupid rich or stupid with money.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Wow you're either stupid rich or stupid with money.

You really dont need to be stupid rich to do this its pretty great and it makes online shopping easy

I just dont really want to go drive to the loving post office to drop off a shirt
The amount of time wasted doing this is the same as the cost.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You really dont need to be stupid rich to do this its pretty great and it makes online shopping easy

I just dont really want to go drive to the loving post office to drop off a shirt

Not caring about the money makes you stupid rich in comparison to everyone else hth

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The arch sin of Consumption manifest as a poster on the Something Awful forums. Interesting hell world we're experiencing here folks.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

repairing shoes is definitely still a thing.

Uh no. Unless you live in some strange Brigadoon--esque 1950's town that manifests only enough to get internet service.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The last time I bought shoes on Amazon I did have problems with poor sizing variance and actually sent back two pairs. It was really easy. Amazon returns are getting easy to the point that you don't even need to box the item before you bring it back to UPS.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Uh no. Unless you live in some strange Brigadoon--esque 1950's town that manifests only enough to get internet service.

The shoe repair store Seattle proper is staffed by some of the most talented, oddly pierced folk. Had my nice boots resoled for 40$ and back in 3 days.

Nice boots are absolutely worth the investment over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Hope that means the Archburger comes back. That was McDonalds only burger I ever liked and I wasn't even an adult when it debuted.

If you live near a McDonalds Hamburger University location you can get one