Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

the nucas posted:

Suck It Down™

This is a Duke original, one of the great lines. A masterpiece. Has it been used in a famous film though, maybe by DeNiro? That'd be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

This is a Duke original, one of the great lines. A masterpiece. Has it been used in a famous film though, maybe by DeNiro? That'd be cool too.

Not sure but I know I've seen people use his famous "Blow it out your rear end" on a few videos online. Not really savory videos either, so it's kind of interesting to see the obvious nod to a classic FPS game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Not sure but I know I've seen people use his famous "Blow it out your rear end" on a few videos online. Not really savory videos either, so it's kind of interesting to see the obvious nod to a classic FPS game.

That is nice to see, a little respect. Humping walls looking for secrets, saying "Where is it...?", at a public library etc. Free idea for the Mega64

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"hueh hueh, what a mess"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your face, your rear end... I'm sapiosexual baby, it makes no difference...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

a bit late on the crysis chat but i just wanna remind everyone that in warhead there's the train level set piece except you can just get off the train and super speed ahead of it and finish your objectives then get back on it and punch a helicopter

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Anything that involves punching a helicopter is awesome. Like Chris Redfield punching boulders like a boss in RE5.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

the nucas posted:

Suck It Down™

I got in trouble in Elementary school for saying this out loud one day. Thanks, Duke3D!

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!
All this Daikatana talk made me curious to try it out. I have the GOG version and installed the 1.3 patch. I was curious to see what happens with a higher resolution and now the screen is stuck like this:

https://imgur.com/a/u4LUIeB

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, tried messing with configs, nothing works. The mouse isn't captured in the window either; I tried to blindly change the resolution but I literally cannot click "Apply Changes." Before installing the 1.2 patch it works fine. Is my computer trying to save me?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Old Grasshopper posted:

Anything that involves punching a helicopter is awesome. Like Chris Redfield punching boulders like a boss in RE5.

This is why the Prototype games are also very good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also the last-gen Wolverine game.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It's worth noting that the first Crysis had the most hilarious shotgun in an FPS game. You could adjust the choke down and mount a sniper rifle scope on it for MAXIMUM TACTICOOL.

It felt almost as good as F.E.A.R.'s SPAS but since you couldn't blow enemies in half with it that's an automatic loss.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

New Order - “Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix)”, as heard in the first Blade movie.

If you are not that familiar with New Order be sure to listen to the original version of that song. It is mind-blowing how different it is (also a pretty terrible New Order song lol).

Confusion 87 from the Substance album is the best New Order song wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALG8ulbK9s

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

haveblue posted:

Also the last-gen Wolverine game.

New mortal kombat looking good

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

heard u like girls posted:

Confusion 87 from the Substance album is the best New Order song wtf

Yeah right, I imagine "World In Motion" is in your top 3 as well :colbert:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wild T posted:

It's worth noting that the first Crysis had the most hilarious shotgun in an FPS game. You could adjust the choke down and mount a sniper rifle scope on it for MAXIMUM TACTICOOL.

It felt almost as good as F.E.A.R.'s SPAS but since you couldn't blow enemies in half with it that's an automatic loss.

More games need shotguns that can LITERALLY vaporize people.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah right, I imagine "World In Motion" is in your top 3 as well :colbert:

Lol no, that rap tho

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Glagha posted:

F.E.A.R.'s underlying systems are fairly basic but the presentation is so satisfying. Going slo-mo and blasting four Replicas to pieces, coming out of it and having the remaining squaddie dive for cover screaming "gently caress!" just feels so good on a visceral level.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Chris Redfield, what a legend.

I loved the SPAS in FEAR - running up behind an enemy and shooting them at the base of their neck. The guns just felt so kinetic. It was very satisfying.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TheArtist 314 posted:

All this Daikatana talk made me curious to try it out. I have the GOG version and installed the 1.3 patch. I was curious to see what happens with a higher resolution and now the screen is stuck like this:

https://imgur.com/a/u4LUIeB

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, tried messing with configs, nothing works. The mouse isn't captured in the window either; I tried to blindly change the resolution but I literally cannot click "Apply Changes." Before installing the 1.2 patch it works fine. Is my computer trying to save me?

Have you tried changing the High DPI Settings? I've had a few games that didn't like trying to fit onto my screen at the native resolution. Right click the .exe, go to the compatibility tab, click the 'Change High DPI Settings' button, and it'll pop up another window, check the High DPI Scaling Override box, and select 'Application' from the drop-down menu and see if that works.

Here's my ioRtCW settings, as an example:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Glagha posted:

I miss gears of war just for the shotgun. Get it right and you disintegrated your enemy.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!

catlord posted:

Have you tried changing the High DPI Settings? I've had a few games that didn't like trying to fit onto my screen at the native resolution. Right click the .exe, go to the compatibility tab, click the 'Change High DPI Settings' button, and it'll pop up another window, check the High DPI Scaling Override box, and select 'Application' from the drop-down menu and see if that works.

Here's my ioRtCW settings, as an example:

Nope, no luck. Ah well, just a weird thing I can't figure out how to fix.

Edit: Oh I got it! Somehow I found a site about using console commands to change the config file since I can't click it in the state it's in, so I blindly typed "exec daikatana13.cfg" and hit enter and now it's in a small but usable window! Hurray the dumb game works!

TheArtist 314 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 16, 2019

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Finished the latest episode of Amid Evil. Shame it was so short. I really want to like the game but this sometimes feels like a tech demo (a superb one) more than an actual game.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Today is a good day to Dusk. Civvie's discord has set up a server and will be playing duskworld starting at 3pm PST/6pm EST, then New Blood Frag Night begins at 6pm PST/9pm EST.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I decided to actually do a playthrough of Daikatana after hearing y'all talk about it (with the 1.3 patch I'm not crazy) and man I hope you guys are right about the second episode being better. Like this game isn't as soul crushingly bad as you'd expect by reputation, but I only JUST got Superfly and ai partners are apparently an issue, but I also hear the patch fixes a lot of that so... But yeah other than getting bored of shooting mosquitoes and frogs forever, my major complaint is just how goofy and awkward all the weapons are. The gently caress is a vitzatergo and why is it nearly suicidal to use? ULTIMATE GAS HANDS? Why is this shotgun like this.

Anyway I'm still at it, none of this makes me want to stop but there's just some mind boggling design decisions as one would expect from a game of this reputation.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Old Grasshopper posted:

I loved the SPAS in FEAR - running up behind an enemy and shooting them at the base of their neck. The guns just felt so kinetic. It was very satisfying.

Even better when it gibs them. :unsmigghh:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Glagha posted:

So I decided to actually do a playthrough of Daikatana after hearing y'all talk about it (with the 1.3 patch I'm not crazy) and man I hope you guys are right about the second episode being better. Like this game isn't as soul crushingly bad as you'd expect by reputation, but I only JUST got Superfly and ai partners are apparently an issue, but I also hear the patch fixes a lot of that so... But yeah other than getting bored of shooting mosquitoes and frogs forever, my major complaint is just how goofy and awkward all the weapons are. The gently caress is a vitzatergo and why is it nearly suicidal to use? ULTIMATE GAS HANDS? Why is this shotgun like this.

Anyway I'm still at it, none of this makes me want to stop but there's just some mind boggling design decisions as one would expect from a game of this reputation.

Episode 1 is a garbage fire of visuals and design, the early parts moreso than the later. Episode 2 starts to pick up with better weapons, level design, enemies, etc. If I ever made like an hour long review of Daikatana, the first episode would take up most of it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Glagha posted:

Have fun poisoning yourself with snake balls in episode 2.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just want to state that having never played Daikatana and thus having almost no context,

Glagha posted:

ULTIMATE GAS HANDS?
sounds absolutely hilarious.

For some reason I'm imagining jazz hands, but both ultimate and gas.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One genre I don't think we could get an indie game of is the (good editions of) the MoH/CoD style of war games, and that's kind of a shame. I still go through old CoD games pretty often.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shadow Hog posted:

I just want to state that having never played Daikatana and thus having almost no context,

sounds absolutely hilarious.

For some reason I'm imagining jazz hands, but both ultimate and gas.

I won't explain it to you because while the actual in game weapon can't possibly be as absurd as what you're imagining, the weapon is, in fact, actually called that, and it is an apt description.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They absolutely are as absurd as the name though; they're internal combustion-powered knuckledusters that have to be started by pulling a ripcord, belch smoke, and do more damage per hit than anything else in the game.

edit: also they don't have an obvious mechanism for causing more damage, like spinning blades or anything. You strap a little gasoline engine onto the back of your hand and do more damage by punching because :confused: :psyduck:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 17, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

While we're talking about FPS games that didn't get great receptions, anybody in here like Contract JACK? I never played it, love NOLF though. I just flipped through a vid of the first ten minutes, looks like a serviceable ten minutes. And are there any somewhat notable FPS releases we don't really talk about? Just looking at the FPS wikipedia page, how do we not talk about Carnivores 2? It's a game from 1999 where you shoot dinosaurs, it must've been respectable.

Oh yeah I've never played Gunman Chronicles, maybe I should try that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

While we're talking about FPS games that didn't get great receptions, anybody in here like Contract JACK? I never played it, love NOLF though. I just flipped through a vid of the first ten minutes, looks like a serviceable ten minutes.
I haven't played it myself either, but it got a pretty poor reception upon release for being short and charmless in comparison to the NOLF games, and its reputation hasn't really improved over the years.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

I haven't finished that one myself but it's pretty good. Certainly interesting, what with it having customizable weapons in the Half-Life engine.

Definitely use the mod that implements the demo's maps into the main campaign, though. The opening world feels weirdly short when they're not in there. Like, I don't even know why they aren't by default, it just makes too much goddamn sense with them in.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

The Kins posted:

I haven't played it myself either, but it got a pretty poor reception upon release for being short and charmless in comparison to the NOLF games, and its reputation hasn't really improved over the years.
I have played it, and I agree completely with that assessment. Pretty much everything unique and fun about NOLF was taken out for Contract JACK, paring it down into straightfoward shootmans. I played it all the way through, and it just felt like a waste of time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Heavy Metal posted:

While we're talking about FPS games that didn't get great receptions, anybody in here like Contract JACK? I never played it, love NOLF though. I just flipped through a vid of the first ten minutes, looks like a serviceable ten minutes. And are there any somewhat notable FPS releases we don't really talk about? Just looking at the FPS wikipedia page, how do we not talk about Carnivores 2? It's a game from 1999 where you shoot dinosaurs, it must've been respectable.

I played Contract Jack. It's more like a pale shadow of NOLF. There are some instances of the typical NOLF-style humor, especially early on, but by the end the energy level has dropped. It doesn't help that J.A.C.K. is silent, and a lot of the gameplay is just joylessly gunning down loads and loads of enemy mooks. I think I got it cheaply in a bargain bin, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up a copy.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Jack's kind of the example of the lower effort type of expansion campaign. Lots of corridor shooting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Well there ya go, now I know Jack as they say. Level design being boring is the main thing that'd have me skip a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Has anybody here played "Alert Alek"? That was a staple of my young adulthood.