Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i went to a nearby assemblymember's monthly meeting about marijuana legalization and she gave the floor to somebody who works at the Drug Policy Alliance. the gist of her argument was that any legalization effort needs to directly help out people who have been prosecuted for it in the past, which is to say black and hispanic people. cuomo's budget measure doesn't do that well enough and the assembly is trying to make sure it does

if the differences aren't hashed out well enough, i can see it not being legalized this year, just like what happened in New Jersey last year. i still think it's gonna happen but it's not open-and-shut

So, what you are saying is that this is a Dem conspiracy to ensure that white libertarians do not get their freemarket, legal weed in 2019? Rand Paul 2020 it is then. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Glambags posted:

Isn't the upstate secession thing brought up every couple years by some incredibly stupid dumbass? It's such a horrible idea and upstate is hemorrhaging population with all the chuds moving to chud states, so who would even support it

Also didn't Trump tell upstate nyers to leave ny (again) this week, lol
Maybe it's someone from NYC talking in their ear and making them think it's their idea. As long as we get water I think NYC is better off without them. We'll send war trains up metro north and seal them in until they concede to terms.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's just a conservative politician giving a grandstanding handy to his base, probably because he can't get anything material done.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O no we got to protect that thriving economy of Utica from the slacking in NYC. Jesus lol.

I’m from the Hudson Valley and live in NYC and this is just so silly. If anything NYC should succeed to save the money. Christ.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

whatis posted:

i'm pretty much the only one of my friend group growing up that's actually left the upstate new york area for any significant period of time (i've since returned) and they are pretty much all on the "upstate should split because NYC drains our taxes" bandwagon. this came up in a convo last week, and when i explained that we actually massively benefit from taxes, they're response was:

1) we pay way more in taxes than we get back and anything that says otherwise is fake news
2) the high taxes are a big reason why it's hard to get businesses to come/remain in WNY

the first point is completely loving stupid, but while there's some merit to the second, i pointed out that lowering taxes won't accomplish anything. it all falls on deaf ears of course, but it's hilarious to see people get flustered when someone outside of the echo chamber tells them how loving dumb they are.

got any good links about this? I spend a decent amount of time in the Hudson valley and know some people who are also staunch believers that the city drains the tax money. I’m just like “uhhh... pretty sure that’s wrong” but I could use some good info to make up for the huge gaps in my knowledge about local politics.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

white people think blacks are all on welfare so the blackest places must soak up the most tax

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/politicony/status/1095123707067068416

Sure, buddy! Good luck with that! :thumbsup:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

todays local headlines:

homeless guy stealing packages arrested held on 30k bond for 4 burglaries

white dude who hate crimed a black guy by breaking his orbital bones and a trans woman last year by ripping out her hair held on 7k bond for assault

cool that bail exists and also is applied fairly

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I am pathetically hitting f5 on the twitter of the doe hoping they close school for this minor winter storm tomorrow

I know they won't

we'll all be making the commute through that slushy horseshit tomorrow

I hope your feet stay dry

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Over Easy posted:

I am pathetically hitting f5 on the twitter of the doe hoping they close school for this minor winter storm tomorrow

I know they won't

we'll all be making the commute through that slushy horseshit tomorrow

I hope your feet stay dry

they totally wont. these midday storms are so dangerous. the city needs a delayed opening/ halfday policy really badly but they'll never do it til a school bus slides off an overpass or something

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://abc7ny.com/amp/school-bus-crashes-into-house-in-the-bronx/5135172/

luckily no kids

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I saw a school bus blocking traffic Sunday because it had entered a busy intersection and couldn't clear before the light changes. Another one just up and stopped in the middle of the road for half an hour a few weeks prior. They drive like mad and get away with it. Good thing nobody got hurt.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i went to the brooklyn dems county committee meeting tonight. well, i'd call it a meeting, but it was yet another forum for public advocate that was clearly held as a way to ensure that no party business would be discussed. a little bit before 9, i figured that the forum was going to take up the entire meeting, so i left, and i was correct

there was one thing that i learned early on, though. the last county committee meeting was a complete shitshow, but there was one bit of good news that happened: the male district leader for AD52 and assemblyman Bobby Carroll (who reps my district, the 44th) proposed a rule change that would ensure proxy votes could only be sent to people within a committee member's AD. it passed at that meeting and was sent to the rules committee. at the beginning of this meeting, the AD52 district leader announced that it passed the rules committee to the executive committee. their response was to remand it to the rules committee. there was no further explanation as to why

i said this before and i'll say it again: NYC goons, please seriously consider running for county committee in whatever borough you live in. as nakedly corrupt as it is in Brooklyn, there's at least a movement that's been going on here for over ten years and there's been significant progress. i can't speak for Manhattan and SI, but the Bronx and Queens definitely have it even worse

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/jdavidgoodman/status/1096087641953632258

what company will have cuomo naming rights now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope the real estate speculators take a bath

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

100% chance they absolutely did, lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

that's two Cuomo fuckups this year that have lit speculative billions of dollars on fire lmao he's gonna be toast

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

The bezos dick sucking comments on this tweet are absolute gold and a master class on ignorance.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wow, what a rush! This news owns. And so do the reactions from Cuomo and BdB.

Cuomo posted:

However, a small group politicians put their own narrow political interests above their community -- which poll after poll showed overwhelmingly supported bringing Amazon to Long Island City -- the state's economic future and the best interests of the people of this state. The New York State Senate has done tremendous damage. They should be held accountable for this lost economic opportunity.
Because pissing off the already-empowered State Senate even more will do wonders for a guy who's always trying to make deals.

de Blasio posted:

You have to be tough to make it in New York City. We gave Amazon the opportunity to be a good neighbor and do business in the greatest city in the world. Instead of working with the community, Amazon threw away that opportunity. We have the best talent in the world and every day we are growing a stronger and fairer economy for everyone. If Amazon can’t recognize what that’s worth, its competitors will.
"Hey, if I blame Amazon for the deal collapsing, will people remember that I miraculously put aside my grudge with the governor to make this deal happen in the first place? I sure hope not!"

Gunshow Poophole posted:

that's two Cuomo fuckups this year that have lit speculative billions of dollars on fire lmao he's gonna be toast
It's too early to say for sure, but I think Cuomo's gonna get third term sickness like Pataki and his dad before him. One month into his third term, his approval ratings are in the 40s and his job disapproval is in the 50s, in spite of the fact that he's signed a bunch of stuff into law that's been long overdue. That's probably because he'd rather make noise about the MTA and this deal that just blew up in his face instead of just saying, "Hey, here's a bunch of cool poo poo I helped make possible with just the power of a pen, how's that for saying i'm not progressive enough?"

Sure, some people would still see it as bullshit, but they would be outnumbered by the people who would fall for it. Our electorate is dumb as hell, as evidenced by the fact that a majority of New Yorkers, both in the city and the state, supported the deal, as well as the fact that Cuomo has a third term. But he's not even hiding the fact that he's more interested in making deals than fighting for laws and policy that help people.

The entire reason Cuomo's two primary challengers were a law professor trying to sell a book and an actress best known for playing Miranda on Sex and the City is because other elected officials were too scared of crossing him. He really did control the narrative and what got done in the past eight years. But now, it's obvious that he has no control over anything and that people- both elected and not- want someone who will walk the walk, instead of talking the talk. If this keeps up, he's going to have a challenger that isn't a protest candidate, and I can easily see him lose.

If that all happens, we'll probably be able to point at this as the moment poo poo got real.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

apropos of nothing, here's charles barron's picture on his state assembly website. he's not my rep (his district is mostly east ny and canarsie in bk) but he is a former black panther and I think it's real cool:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glambags posted:

apropos of nothing, here's charles barron's picture on his state assembly website. he's not my rep (his district is mostly east ny and canarsie in bk) but he is a former black panther and I think it's real cool:

at the brooklyn county committee meeting in september, the male district leader in what is now Simcha Eisenstein's AD kept screaming at him when he took the stage, calling him an anti-semite. presumably it's because he's critical of israel, but that district leader is in the Satmar sect, which opposes israel on messianic grounds (or, specifically, lack thereof). :thunk: as for Barron himself, mouthed off to Cuomo before it was cool. shame that he lost his bid for Congress to Jeffries, he would have been better and more entertaining

speaking of the county committee, Gothamist had a good writeup of the meeting Tuesday. i guess there was time for 10 minutes worth of Q&A at the end, but for the most part it was just a way to punt on party business. at the same time, it's clear that Frank Seddio is either running scared or thinks that appeasing the growing reform movement with minor concessions is going to ward it off. i bet it's the latter, considering that he actually thought the president of New Kings Democrats would accept whatever it is that he offered. give it another two years and we might break through

yet again, goons, run for county committee in whatever borough you live in. and if you don't live in NYC, see what your county does and try and go that route

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

at the brooklyn county committee meeting in september, the male district leader in what is now Simcha Eisenstein's AD kept screaming at him when he took the stage, calling him an anti-semite. presumably it's because he's critical of israel, but that district leader is in the Satmar sect, which opposes israel on messianic grounds (or, specifically, lack thereof). :thunk: as for Barron himself, mouthed off to Cuomo before it was cool. shame that he lost his bid for Congress to Jeffries, he would have been better and more entertaining

speaking of the county committee, Gothamist had a good writeup of the meeting Tuesday. i guess there was time for 10 minutes worth of Q&A at the end, but for the most part it was just a way to punt on party business. at the same time, it's clear that Frank Seddio is either running scared or thinks that appeasing the growing reform movement with minor concessions is going to ward it off. i bet it's the latter, considering that he actually thought the president of New Kings Democrats would accept whatever it is that he offered. give it another two years and we might break through

yet again, goons, run for county committee in whatever borough you live in. and if you don't live in NYC, see what your county does and try and go that route
Just looked this up, out of curiosity, and

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Just looked this up, out of curiosity, and

yeah, it's an "every two years" election cycle thing like every state-level office. my suggestion is to sign up for the Rep Your Block mailing list and just wait for updates

also, we really need better district leaders, since ultimately they have the power to decide the party chair. unfortunately, there's been less success on that front. i'm not sure why, but there are fewer good female district leaders than there are male ones. there were two good challengers to long-established incumbents in AD 45 and AD 51, but both of them lost. the 51st in particular was heartbreaking because the female district leader there has no public profile and doesn't do poo poo, and her challenger was very visible and wanted to actively engage the people there. Felix Ortiz (who is both the assemblyman and the male district leader there) went on a full-court press there, not just to defend his lieutenant but to prevent as many county committee challengers from getting on

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Feb 15, 2019

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

yeah, it's an "every two years" election cycle thing like every state-level office. my suggestion is to sign up for the Rep Your Block mailing list and just wait for updates

also, we really need better district leaders, since ultimately they have the power to decide the party chair. unfortunately, there's been less success on that front. i'm not sure why, but there are fewer good female district leaders than there are male ones. there were two good challengers to long-established incumbents in AD 45 and AD 51, but both of them lost. the 51st in particular was heartbreaking because the female district leader there has no public profile and doesn't do poo poo, and her challenger was very visible and wanted to actively engage the people there. Felix Ortiz (who is both the assemblyman and the male district leader there) went on a full-court press there, not just to defend his lieutenant but to prevent as many county committee challengers from getting on

I'm in Queens. Anything like rep yr block for us?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lmao

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/nyregion/amazon-hq2-queens.html

quote:

In recent days, Mr. de Blasio had tried to reach Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s chief executive, according to one official. But Mr. Bezos did not speak with him, nor with Mr. Cuomo.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'll take the time to laugh at the Amazon fallout since the SolarCity smoke and mirrors is more depressing, Musk otherwise

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Everyone just move to ithaca, it's a (mostly) competently run city, housing issues notwithstanding

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lil barons and counts a-feudin' :3:

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

If I wanted to support actual progressive/reform policies, are NKD the right folks to align with? It seems they're willing to coordinate petitioning and avoid members having to go head-to-head, which sounds good in theory.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
gotta say, I’m a little worried about how the Public Advocate race is shaping up. With loving 17 candidates splitting the field, and most of them Democrats, I could see someone like Eric Ulrich squeezing through and using it as a springboard to make the office defend poo poo cops and build himself up as like the only prominent city Republican.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

gotta say, I’m a little worried about how the Public Advocate race is shaping up. With loving 17 candidates splitting the field, and most of them Democrats, I could see someone like Eric Ulrich squeezing through and using it as a springboard to make the office defend poo poo cops and build himself up as like the only prominent city Republican.

Counterpoint: unless someone is planning to kill the mayor, Public Advocate is a do nothing job with no power so who cares

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm in Queens. Anything like rep yr block for us?
New Queens Democrats have the same goal

umbrage posted:

If I wanted to support actual progressive/reform policies, are NKD the right folks to align with? It seems they're willing to coordinate petitioning and avoid members having to go head-to-head, which sounds good in theory.
yeah they try to avoid having primaries for other Rep Your Block campaigners. we still get challenges anyway. in the 51st AD, there were over 20 primaries for county committee member, as well as one for female district leader, because the assemblymember (and male district leader) actively put up a fight

hopefully they spread out further, i knew somebody who wanted to run in the 47th but the assemblymember and female district leader refused to let her carry petitions with their name on it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lil barons and counts a-feudin' :3:

lmao when when cuomo said he would use his power to force to the Amazon deal to happen.

Pretty hilarious to see places like Fox News and the Washington Post both getting butthurt over the amazing job creation deal getting
ruined by the evil locals

quote:

Mr. Cuomo and Mr. de Blasio reacted in starkly different ways. The governor blamed the newly emboldened Democrats who now control the State Senate for derailing the project.

“A small group of politicians put their own narrow political interests above their community — which poll after poll showed overwhelmingly supported bringing Amazon to Long Island City — the state’s economic future and the best interests of the people of this state,” the governor said in a statement.

Amazon was also butthurt on how they didn't get the level of groveling and worship they wanted

quote:

Both the mayor’s and the governor’s offices reassured Amazon executives that, despite the vocal criticism, the deal they had negotiated would be approved. But the company appeared upset at even a moderate level of resistance, said the person, who, like many of the people describing private conversations at the company and with elected officials, did so on the condition of anonymity.

etalian has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Feb 17, 2019

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

etalian posted:

Amazon was also butthurt on how they didn't get the level of groveling and worship they wanted

yeah imo this is more about amazon sending a message to the podunk towns they'll set up shop in next that they will brook absolutely zero dissent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Both my former and current assembly members (Fahy and McDonald; I moved from Albany to Troy) have registered their concern about this move with respect to how bad it makes NYS look. Which is strange, because when I called Fahy's office about it when it was announced, I could swear they told me that they were concerned about how it was done without local community input. I have to think that they're worried about pissing off Cuomo.

Fahy:

McDonald:

quote:

What a loss for New York State and the Northeast Region. I fully understand those who do not like tax incentives who did not support this effort, but incentives are a necessity in our high tax state, and not something one can ignore.

I reviewed the proposal and was comfortable with the hard thresholds that were required to achieve the proposed incentives as the revenue impact as more than 6 times what we would have provided AFTER receipt.

That is just revenue but what bothers me is the lost job opportunity and potential benefits and impacts on residents living in our region. Being only two plus hours away from New York City, many of our future graduates definitely could have done what is done in other states with the flexible work environments of today, commuting a few days a week and working different schedules.

Does not help our reputation as a state for being Open for Business!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Both my former and current assembly members (Fahy and McDonald; I moved from Albany to Troy) have registered their concern about this move with respect to how bad it makes NYS look. Which is strange, because when I called Fahy's office about it when it was announced, I could swear they told me that they were concerned about how it was done without local community input. I have to think that they're worried about pissing off Cuomo.

Fahy:

McDonald:

The total subsidy package was around $3 billion for a company which has avoided paying any federal corporate taxes over the last decade

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/11/16/18098589/amazon-hq2-nyc-queens-long-island-city-explained

quote:

The agreement comes with a number of incentives: Specifically, Amazon will receive $897 million from the city’s Relocation and Employment Assistance Program (REAP) and $386 million from the Industrial & Commercial Abatement Program (ICAP). It will receive an additional $505 million in a capital grant and $1.2 billion in “Excelsior” credits if its job creation goals are met. That brings the total amount of public funds granted to $2.988 billion—in other words, the city and state will pay Amazon $48,000 per job.

Amazon could also earn even more tax breaks separate from the city and state subsidies: The census tract in Long Island City where HQ2 (or HQ3) will be built is designated as an opportunity zone under a provision of the so-called Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the tax overhaul President Trump signed into law almost a year ago.

Opportunity zones, the brainchild of Silicon Valley financier Sean Parker, allow people to invest capital gains—the profit made from the sale of an asset like a house, stock, or even a painting—in “distressed” areas and defer taxes on those gains until 2026.

Amazon will also lease 1 million square feet at One Court Square, also known as the Citigroup building; the banking firm will vacate its space in 2020.

lol the deal even included a heli-pad approval

quote:

And then there’s the helipad: The memorandum allows for the construction of a private helicopter landing, which will be limited to 120 days of use each year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seems to me, the layman, that if the state has 3 billies sitting around to basically throw away then its probably doing fine already without amazon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

after the deal fell apart, cuomo singled out Todd Kaminsky, a democratic senator from Nassau, for reasons that nobody is entirely sure of. not even Todd himself

regardless of some secret grumblings from the Long Island dem delegation about this falling apart, cuomo attempting to make the entire chamber out to be the villain is probably not going to get many people there on his side

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

after the deal fell apart, cuomo singled out Todd Kaminsky, a democratic senator from Nassau, for reasons that nobody is entirely sure of. not even Todd himself

regardless of some secret grumblings from the Long Island dem delegation about this falling apart, cuomo attempting to make the entire chamber out to be the villain is probably not going to get many people there on his side

I lolled how Cuomo said he would do everything including a veto power to make sure the local government did as they were told but his bluff got called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it's well known that tech companies are completely averse to states with high taxes, which is why they're all headquartered in *checks note scrawled on back of hand* california?