Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Unmature posted:

Looking for anime/manga with that Shin Megami Tensei feel. Kinda cyberpunk with some occult or dreadful elements. I know about Lain.

Abara, NOiSE, or basically anything else written by Tsutomu Nihei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

silentsnack posted:

Abara, NOiSE, or basically anything else written by Tsutomu Nihei

It's nice to see that NOiSE has a digital edition now, because the physical volume is long out of print. BiOmega's probably the most appropriate work for what they're looking for out of Tsutomu Nihei's works.

I own a physical copy of NOiSE, along with a full ten-volume set of the original BLAME! manga. :smuggo:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Thanks for the words about Birdy: Decode, I watched the first few episodes with my boyfriend recently and kind of wrote it off as a slightly more charming than average cliche fest, if the 2nd season gets better I'll probaby keep watching it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RabidWeasel posted:

Thanks for the words about Birdy: Decode, I watched the first few episodes with my boyfriend recently and kind of wrote it off as a slightly more charming than average cliche fest, if the 2nd season gets better I'll probaby keep watching it.

season 1 of decode is very just. average? it's got some good action scenes and birdy is a fun character but probably its biggest weakness compared to the ova is that tsutomu, is an insanely boring character to follow and compared to the ova his dynamic with birdy in general is just very dry, and all of s1 is about him. in s2 he's just, a pov character to birdy's story and he works infinitely better in that role

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidWeasel posted:

The show definitely won't look it at first, but it's really solid sci-fi and worth sticking with. It also does not pull punches when the big scary villains actually turn up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Birdy Decode S2 is one of the best action sci-fi animes I think I've ever seen and it is pretty depressing there was no follow-up.

The opening is very catchy too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krja5ERoykg

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 18, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Unmature posted:

Looking for anime/manga with that Shin Megami Tensei feel. Kinda cyberpunk with some occult or dreadful elements. I know about Lain.
Have you given Devilman: Crybaby a shot? I know it might seem like a joke reply, but taking into account how huge Go Nagai's influence was in... well, a ton of entertainment, you might enjoy it.

If it has to have some cyberpunk in it, how about Ergo Proxy?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Unmature posted:

Cyber City Oedo is heavy on the cyberpunk but has some occult elements to it

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Have you given Devilman: Crybaby a shot?

Oh my word yes. Been getting into the manga lately too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Also has an amazing loving ending.

Any good anime with a strong female lead? Basically looking for an anime version of Ripley from the Alien movies.

Seirei no Moribito’s lead is a professional bodyguard who’s in her late 20s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Decode S1 gets pretty good in the back half. but yeah, S2 steals the show.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for varying definitions of "strong"

Psycho-Pass
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Promised Neverland
Jormungand

also check out Sayo Yamamoto's work in general

Psycho-Pass and Birdy the Mighty are probably the closest to Ellen Ripley in terms of "a professional adult woman in a violent line of work who has to push back against a corrupt or passive system in order to stand by her principles"

Thanks Ill give these a shot if I can find them available in my region. Birdy sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Not really related to my initial question but are TerraFormars or Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress any good? My brother wont shut up about them but he has questionable taste in shows so Im more willing to trust well versed internet strangers.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Thanks Ill give these a shot if I can find them available in my region. Birdy sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Not really related to my initial question but are TerraFormars or Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress any good? My brother wont shut up about them but he has questionable taste in shows so Im more willing to trust well versed internet strangers.

They're eminently skippable

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd recommend Killing Bites over Terraformars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kabaneri is alright if you just go into it expecting a b-grade action series with really good animation and a distinct setting, the actual plotting and characterization varies between serviceable and bad, but there's nothing offensively bad (or offensive in a political sense) in there so it doesn't really detract from the action.

Terraformars has a decent start but gets dull fairly quickly, and also a lot of the female characters have really bizarre sexual backstories for basically no reason because it's never actually relevant to the plot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Any good anime with a strong female lead? Basically looking for an anime version of Ripley from the Alien movies.

Not very Ripley-eque due to the lighthearted tone of the show, but Noa from Patlabor is an incredibly good female lead.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

Kabaneri is alright if you just go into it expecting a b-grade action series with really good animation and a distinct setting, the actual plotting and characterization varies between serviceable and bad, but there's nothing offensively bad (or offensive in a political sense) in there so it doesn't really detract from the action.

Terraformars has a decent start but gets dull fairly quickly, and also a lot of the female characters have really bizarre sexual backstories for basically no reason because it's never actually relevant to the plot.

I could probably deal with Kabaneri then if I feel like Im in the mood for some mindless action. Shame about Terraformars, it sounds like a really interesting premise. :(

e:

Sharkopath posted:

I'd recommend Killing Bites over Terraformars

I looked into Killing Bites but something about it screamed "will get very gross with female characters at some point" and Id rather avoid that if at all possible.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 18, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's not an unfair assessment of KB but it's also true for TerraFormars

Basically any action show with lots of blood and edge is gonna eventually have horrible things happening to the female characters for no real reason

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Killing Bites as an anime is thoroughly eh, from a production standpoint. the manga has gotten pretty interesting thanks to a timeskip but you're pretty much on the money since it has a ton of t&a and a few occasions of rape/attempted rape.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2nd series killing bites, the stuff thats comic only right now though doesnt have it at all, it went through a genre change.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did it somehow change from the stuff following the beagle girl? because she almost gets raped twice in the post-timeskip stuff

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

did it somehow change from the stuff following the beagle girl? because she almost gets raped twice in the post-timeskip stuff

it turns into a school drama sort of thing where shes trying to make friends with her team, and the violent killing bites stuff is only back in the most recent chapter

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its not a comic im super invested in though, just saying that killing bites has more merit than terraformars to me

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

it turns into a school drama sort of thing where shes trying to make friends with her team, and the violent killing bites stuff is only back in the most recent chapter

drat another series became boring

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Furnaceface posted:

Also I'm a little late replying to this but, if manga is okay, you want Battle Angel Alita in your life right the gently caress now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a recommendation for everyone: Alita: Battle Angel. Please go see this movie. Not only is it one of the, if not THE best live action adaptation of an anime/manga, but it's an absolute joy to take in in its own right. The run time despite being over two hours just flew by for me, the pacing is nearly blisteringly fast, and the action is perfect, no shaky cam in sight.

Furnaceface posted:

Alita is a fantastic female lead. There's a lot of messaging in both the original manga and the live action movie of Ido trying to configure her into his perfect daughter image and she's having none of it. She's a really good depiction of a strong, independent, but still emotionally vulnerable character and one of my favorite female protagonists in anime/manga.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 18, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I actually watched Alita today and yeah it kind of caught me off guard at how good it is. Is there an anime too or just manga? I cant imagine he crammed the whole thing into a single movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I actually watched Alita today and yeah it kind of caught me off guard at how good it is. Is there an anime too or just manga? I cant imagine he crammed the whole thing into a single movie.

There's an OVA from '93
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZImWfSmESs0

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 18, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

it's kind of a mix-and-match adaptation of the manga, taking stuff from several of the early volumes. there are also two sequel series to alita, last order and mars chronicle

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Be aware it predates the manga localization changes, so you get the adventures of Gally. Covers the first two-odd volumes and is quite good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The movie covers pretty much everything the ova does, right?

Also if you're curious about the manga, comixology unlimited has the entire first series available and you can get a trial run and read the whole thing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm watching Giant Killing and enjoying it so far, but the Brazilian VAs are hilarious.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm incapable of finding good anime and could really use some advice. Can I get a recommendation for a 1 or 2 season dubbed anime that matches this "through line" of shows:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent
GiTS: SAC

If I was going to come up with some tags for this list I guess it'd be grounded, adult cast,modern or near modern setting,psychologicaland maybe something like action, but not over the top. Not all of them meet every single criteria, FLCL in particular is a bit of an outlier, but I'd say it fits the setting and psychology perfectly.

I'll try anything, I'm just so tired of googling "best dubbed anime of 20XX" and then looking at a title screen shot and a paragraph summary.

Oh, and just to help prevent wasting any time I've seen all or enough of:
Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm incapable of finding good anime and could really use some advice. Can I get a recommendation for a 1 or 2 season dubbed anime that matches this "through line" of shows:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent

If I was going to come up with some tags for this list I guess it'd be grounded, adult cast,modern or near modern setting,psychologicaland maybe something like action, but not over the top. Not all of them meet every single criteria, FLCL in particular is a bit of an outlier, but I'd say it fits the setting and psychology perfectly.

I'll try anything, I'm just so tired of googling "best dubbed anime of 20XX" and then looking at a title screen shot and a paragraph summary.

Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan

No idea how the dub is, but Michiko e Hatchin seems like it fits.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How do you feel mecha? There's probably some gundam series that would fit what you're looking for

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Monster is a realistic, psychological and character-driven crime/thriller/drama about a disgraced doctor tracking down a serial killer while on the run from the law in fairly authentically presented modern-day Germany. It's highly rated, although personally I found the pacing dragged quite a bit. It certainly fits almost all of your criteria.

downside: while it is technically only one season, that season is 74 episodes long.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent

Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan

More futuristic but Planetes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Lain has a dub, doesn't it? It's definitely a modern setting and it's definitely psychological, it's not exactly grounded but you put GITS in there so you might enjoy it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Quark posted:

No idea how the dub is, but Michiko e Hatchin seems like it fits.

The dub's solid with a good cast.

Dias posted:

Lain has a dub, doesn't it? It's definitely a modern setting and it's definitely psychological, it's not exactly grounded but you put GITS in there so you might enjoy it.

Serial Experiments Lain does indeed have a dub.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent

Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan

Boogiepop Phantom (some of the standalone episodes are REALLY good)
Mushishi (it's more about the fable than the setting)
Jormungand is a B-Grade Black Lagoon and well worth a watch
PLANETES. It's a near-future sci-fi show built on real physics and NASA-esque technology set mostly in Earth Orbit.
Darker than Black (First season's good and standalone, the second season is awful and should be avoided).
Kino's Journey (either the 2003 version or the new remake, both are pretty good)

You should also just check out anything by the late great Satoshi Kon. Paprika's a good movie to start with, and Paranoia Agent is also well worth watching if you can find a fatpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For Mechs I watched some of the vietnam-esque Gundam (08 MS Team?), I watched some of Planetes; they were both fine but the Gundam one suffered a bit from having a 90's dub that seemed like it could have aired on Cartoon Network and Planetes, while good, didn't have the drama I'm looking for now.

I've never seen Serial Experiment Lain, but I've heard of it. Maybe that or Monster is more what I'm looking for.