Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Math is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Aardvark posted:

Math is cool and good.

Ban this filth

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It depends on your teacher. I got lucky and they knew different ways to teach stuff to make it interesting and have it stick.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Soulex posted:

It depends on your teacher. I got lucky and they knew different ways to teach stuff to make it interesting and have it stick.

This I think is the prime reason I barely passed in high school. When the football coach is the math teacher you know you're hosed.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Woof Blitzer posted:

This I think is the prime reason I barely passed in high school. When the football coach is the math teacher you know you're hosed.

Yeah same problem here. By contrast, I had some amazing math teachers in community college. The best one was also a total hardass, and I legit loved seeing her lighting up some 19 year old for putting away his books too early or something else like that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My community college had some good teachers, but the math department was awful, just terrible. Which was really doubly worse, because if there's any spot where you need to be strong with non-traditional students, it's math.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My trig TA held a study session for our first midterm 7:15 pm to 9:00pm scheduled on his own time, not getting paid. He taught until 10:30pm and some people left without even thanking him. I waited til the end and found out he likes silver patron so I got him a 375ml bottle from the AFB near my parents tax free, I feel like $20 of tequila is the least I can give a dude that passionate, especially since he's the only TA that does this, and he could definitely have been somewhere else enjoying his time.

I guess most people come out of high school ready to place right into calc but all this might as well be my first time for what I actually learned in high school. Calc 1 and calc-based physics next semester plus the 2nd level software class, then calc 2 next spring. Chugging along and it feels great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just make sure you pay attention in math classes more than anything (besides the classes for your major) because they all build on each other. I kind of wish professors would take a minute to explain why they are teaching something (besides it being in the curriculum). I can't tell you how many times I've heard "remember back in algebra" or "remember back in trig" where some concept that seemed pointless before is now some vital part of a process in calculus.

I've seen too many people who get a C in precal or calculus and think they are good to go.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 18, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Cojawfee posted:

Just make sure you pay attention in math classes more than anything (besides the classes for your major) because they all build on each other. I kind of wish professors would take a minute to explain why they are teaching something (besides it being in the curriculum). I can't tell you how many times I've heard "remember back in algebra" or "remember back in trig" where some concept that seemed pointless before is now some vital part of a process in calculus.

I've seen too many people who get a C in precal or calculus and think they are good to go.
Real talk. I took calc1 twice back in community college in the very early 2000s, first got a 2.8, then a 4.0. Followed it up with another 2.8 in calc2.

Skip to 15 years later, I tried to jump back in at calc2 at university last semester and the review material the prof put on the board on day one made me nope the gently caress out. After taking the math department's placement exam I'm now humbled to find myself back in pre-calc, which I at least mostly remember. This is turning out to be a whole lot more math than I expected just to get a minor.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How come they're making you retake it to begin with?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

It's more of a voluntary thing. I have transfer credit that satisfies all the math requirements of my major, but statistics minor requires through vector calculus and as I discovered, there's no way I can continue at the level of math I was at before the 15-year hiatus.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I did calc in high school but restarted in trig at community college after a five year break in math. That was one of the better choices I made since calc, physics, and some physical chemistry builds on trig identities.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Tomorrow I have an exam on discrete signal analysis and Z transforms and while I spent last week writing labview to ingest and process a full engine dynometer of signals I can't do the math by hand if you paid me. I wish any of my experiences doing actual work translated to understanding the level of math and calculus required for an engineering degree.

Had I had any sense I would have changed majors to political science or business management two years ago.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Accuplacered into 86 after decades of no college. Did well, owned subsequent classes. Have met all math requirements and am doing well. I am a hot commodity for tutoring. But folks refuse to understand that although I can pass a class, It doesn't qualify me to tutor. I can score, but I cannot teach.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I am not good at explaining things, but there have been a lot of concepts that I've understood better because I tried to explain to someone how to do it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

some people are just plain math dumb, and will never really understand concepts beyond repetition and memorization to get by

That person is me. I didn’t fare any better in statistics either

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Booger and coj are both reasons why it's always a good idea to volunteer for coaching or teaching at school if you get a chance. Being able to explain complex ideas to people will only help in the future and it further reinforces your own knowledge. Also is good for a resume if you have nothing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

some people are just plain math dumb, and will never really understand concepts beyond repetition and memorization to get by

That person is me. I didn’t fare any better in statistics either

:hf:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I used to hate algebraic math and stuff. I did great with geometry and even trig but algebra/calculus hosed my rear end up, until I went to tech school and learned how to apply those concepts to engine/chassis design. Then it just kinda clicked. I still suck at math without computer aid but I at least understand it enough to get by.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Terrible Robot posted:

I used to hate algebraic math and stuff. I did great with geometry and even trig but algebra/calculus hosed my rear end up, until I went to tech school and learned how to apply those concepts to engine/chassis design. Then it just kinda clicked. I still suck at math without computer aid but I at least understand it enough to get by.

I think a big part of what fucks people up with math is going from heavy calculation based things like learning basic algebra and then stepping into high concept things like calculus.

Calculus is made easier to express with modern algebra, but at its roots, it is conceptual more than computational. Once you understand the core you can use it to make calculations, but that's not what calculus is all about.

Remember, Archimedes figured out a lot of the core concepts of calculus in greece almost 2500 years ago without a simple number system or a concept of zero.

Modern calculus is taught mostly with brute force and rote memorization, though, so you skip past a lot of the core understanding. Our number system does make it much easier to express concepts, however I think we'd benefit a lot of people if we started teaching calculus concepts first before their application.

Applied calculus should be the place where you just get taught "here's how to use these formulas." I think calculus should have a more pure math background to get to the basics before you start getting into things.

But yeah, calculus makes a lot of sense when you are using it in physics or real world applications and actually applying the concepts you've learned.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The biggest tragedy of the week is I don’t have the prerequisite class needed to take a sitcom writing course.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

The biggest tragedy of the week is I don’t have the prerequisite class needed to take a sitcom writing course.

Send the Professor your spec script for an episode of Big Bang Theory in which a student wants to get into a sitcom writing class doesn't have the prereq and then writes a spec script and is allowed to take it

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

GD_American posted:

My community college had some good teachers, but the math department was awful, just terrible. Which was really doubly worse, because if there's any spot where you need to be strong with non-traditional students, it's math.

My C.C. has the same issue. There are 2 good teachers. 1 teaches the stupid kid math (Thank god I got her class), and one teaches Tech Math and nothing else.
I have to take Stats next semester, and I am REALLY hoping the state decided not to be a bag of dicks and add Calc to our curriculum.

Everyone else doesn't know what the hell they are talking about, or otherwise have no ability to speak English in a dialect understood by Human ears, or a combination of the two.
Seriously though, if I have to take Calc, I might just walk off a cliff or something. from what I have seen of what I am doing in industry, I will not be using it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MrDesaude posted:

My C.C. has the same issue. There are 2 good teachers. 1 teaches the stupid kid math (Thank god I got her class), and one teaches Tech Math and nothing else.
I have to take Stats next semester, and I am REALLY hoping the state decided not to be a bag of dicks and add Calc to our curriculum.

Everyone else doesn't know what the hell they are talking about, or otherwise have no ability to speak English in a dialect understood by Human ears, or a combination of the two.
Seriously though, if I have to take Calc, I might just walk off a cliff or something. from what I have seen of what I am doing in industry, I will not be using it.

What field are you looking to get into?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MrDesaude posted:

Thankfully, Stats at our community college was under the business department. I took one class under a very good jack-of-all trades business professor, and the other from (of all things) the President of the Mobile County School Board. He loved stats and that was the one class he continued to teach. Awesome guy. I could not say enough good things about him.

Really, all the teachers I had at Bishop State were great, apart from the math department and one idiot who was basically forced into retirement while I was there. Our Business Law class basically became a Glenn Greenwald polemic. (Seriously- most of our assignments were from Greenwald's loving book.)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I left for the Navy during first semester of what would have been senior year. I had to jump back in at Diff Eq's and Multi-variable and there is 0 chance I would have succeeded without the people at Everett (WA) CC being good at their jobs. Otherwise I would have came back to Penn State and had another junior math prof that didn't give a poo poo and who knows what would have happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I'm making sure I get all my math classes done at CC.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Doing all the basic science classes you need at CC is great too. I took ochem2 at CC and the class was 24 people, which is a class that seats 150 at the 4-yr I transferred to. Good luck trying to get help with that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Aardvark posted:

Doing all the basic science classes you need at CC is great too. I took ochem2 at CC and the class was 24 people, which is a class that seats 150 at the 4-yr I transferred to. Good luck trying to get help with that.

Science classes were my biggest pain in the rear end to schedule at CC because they always cancelled half of them for low enrollment.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What field are you looking to get into?

The word salad is "Microelectronic Manufacturing, Bachelor of Applied Science".
In simple talk, I am going to school to design printed circuit boards, and work with small electronic components.

This is the current rundown of what I am slated for:
http://catalog.lorainccc.edu/academ...iculumguidetext

The Associates is more of a technician gig, whereas the Bachelors is a Design Engineering type deal.

One of the cool things is that one of the requirements to graduate with the Associates as well as the Bachelors is x amount of hours as a paid intern at a company in the field. I can't say where I am working, or what I am specifically working on, but they hold something like 50% of the global market share of welding equipment.
It is also sad that I am making more there as an intern than I make at my full time job. Here is hoping they make good on that promise of hiring me when I complete the associates next spring. Full time school + Full time work + Internship is starting to wear me down a little on the mental side of things.

GD_American posted:

Thankfully, Stats at our community college was under the business department. I took one class under a very good jack-of-all trades business professor, and the other from (of all things) the President of the Mobile County School Board. He loved stats and that was the one class he continued to teach. Awesome guy. I could not say enough good things about him.

Really, all the teachers I had at Bishop State were great, apart from the math department and one idiot who was basically forced into retirement while I was there. Our Business Law class basically became a Glenn Greenwald polemic. (Seriously- most of our assignments were from Greenwald's loving book.)

I am just hoping to put Stats and Chem behind me without incident. Technical Math nearly killed me, and that was more or less precalc at the end.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So because my classes are considered “hybrid,” the VA classified them as distance learning. Simply because some of the homework is done online. Even though I have class 4 days a week and if I don’t show up for attendance I’ll get dropped. gently caress these bastards it never ends

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah that's pretty much the exact opposite of how they're supposed to classify it.

That's a certifying official issue.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well I’m calling the regional office and the district liaison so we’ll see what happens.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Woof Blitzer posted:

Well I’m calling the regional office and the district liaison so we’ll see what happens.

I think the problem is the person at your schools registrar office who classifies the classes. There is probably someone much closer by you can yell at!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If that were true, then all of my math classes would have been hybrid because all the homework was online.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah the Certifying Official is the guy at your school that plugs your classes into VA-ONCE and then some duders on the other end get your payments rolling. Sometimes they're the registrar, sometimes they're the bursar, sometimes they're a dedicated veteran rep.

Fun fact, the actual certifying process has remained the same since the MGIB was introduced in 1984. It's two boxes "Distance" and "Local" with a checkbox for Semester/Quarter hours. That's it. The onus is entirely on that certifying official to know the individual class details, program specifics, etc. Which is why the vast majority of people can completely get away with taking whatever the gently caress they want as long as they graduate.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vasudus posted:

Yeah the Certifying Official is the guy at your school that plugs your classes into VA-ONCE and then some duders on the other end get your payments rolling. Sometimes they're the registrar, sometimes they're the bursar, sometimes they're a dedicated veteran rep.

Fun fact, the actual certifying process has remained the same since the MGIB was introduced in 1984. It's two boxes "Distance" and "Local" with a checkbox for Semester/Quarter hours. That's it. The onus is entirely on that certifying official to know the individual class details, program specifics, etc. Which is why the vast majority of people can completely get away with taking whatever the gently caress they want as long as they graduate.

That’s what the VA call center person said. So now I’ve notified the district coordinator because it’s so obviously bogus.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's zero quality control on certifying officials. You take a one hour online self paced learning class that has no knowledge check or pass/fail criteria. There's an absolutely outrageous difference in quality sometimes.

When I was one, we were expected to know every detail about every program that the school offered because that's how the office rolled. We were the absolute one-stop-shop.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Woof Blitzer posted:

So because my classes are considered “hybrid,” the VA classified them as distance learning. Simply because some of the homework is done online. Even though I have class 4 days a week and if I don’t show up for attendance I’ll get dropped. gently caress these bastards it never ends

Does this mean you get different reimbursement? Just curious because one of the MS programs I'm looking at is definitely 'hybrid' with only 4 residency weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The way I understood it was all online got an online school BAH rate, and if you took say 10 units online and 2 on campus/site you’d get the higher BAH rate