Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

It is extremely on tape, because there is nothing the President loves more than shooting his own legal counsel in the foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU3AbY9E5_8&t=640s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wow. It's actually even worse for his lawyers than simply "Oh, it's not actually an emergency. I'm just impatient." That's some next level brain worms to follow up by laying out how it's just a political stunt to win an election.

:discourse:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Wow. It's actually even worse for his lawyers than simply "Oh, it's not actually an emergency. I'm just impatient." That's some next level brain worms to follow up by laying out how it's just a political stunt to win an election.

:discourse:

Minor point of order, but at the moment, "his lawyers" defending his "argument" before the courts = the US Department of Justice, because of his role as "president".

They serve under his discretion.

I hope they're all pooping uncontrollably right now.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1096545600735232000

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Meh. The debt is just the accumulated deficit and except for a few years following the 2007 housing market collapse, the deficit and GDP have been within a few percent of each other since the end of WW2. That's not a coincidence.

NYT - "As Debt Rises, the Government Will Soon Spend More on Interest Than on the Military"
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/25/business/economy/us-government-debt-interest.html

Meh?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that a resolution is just another bill passed by Congress and Trump will be able to veto it.

That would be kind of pointless law then.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BristolSOF posted:

NYT - "As Debt Rises, the Government Will Soon Spend More on Interest Than on the Military"
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/25/business/economy/us-government-debt-interest.html

Meh?

Of all the many problems in the world, the Treasury Department having to print more dollars is not a major one. It's also an easily fixable problem - congressional Republicans just need to stop giving American tax dollars to their donors, and conservatives need to stop giving their votes to assholes. Fundamentally our deficit issues aren't due to programmatic policy issues, they're due to systematized graft and corruption.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 16, 2019

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1096780133611028480

How Fatty McShitstain starts the day after declaring a national emergency...

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BristolSOF posted:

Meh?

please to not be falling for monetarily illiterate fear mongering about the national debt

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1096918594410237953

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Can't wait for all the ghouls to take a victory lap because their innate desire to not trust a black man turned out to be right..

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1096938486828093440

Another day, another illegally employed person.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
At least Nixon was smart and a canny political operator, why do people go to bat for this imbecilic narcissist?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mimirocah1/status/1096805213443366912

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Can't wait for all the ghouls to take a victory lap because their innate desire to not trust a black man turned out to be right..

Can't wait to find out the actual truth and then move on from there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is like the third time this announcement has been made and it gets gainsaid by another report every time. I'm not even going to pretend to guess what actually happened at this point.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Having never employed a nanny myself, how would you know if they have/require a visa?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm gonna call bullshit on these reports.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Having never employed a nanny myself, how would you know if they have/require a visa?
If you're employing a full-time nanny directly, they would presumably be your employee rather than an independent contractor, so I would imagine you have to get appropriate documentation from them and use e-verify or whatever just like any other employer.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 17, 2019

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

incontinence 100 posted:

I'm gonna call bullshit on these reports.

Yeah, a major city PD believing a black man set up an attack on himself is hardly an indication of facts in itself.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Moktaro posted:

Yeah, a major city PD believing a black man set up an attack on himself is hardly an indication of facts in itself.

Maybe he didn't, but the perps thought he did through a hilarious series of misunderstandings?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Edit: keeping it out of this thread

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Moktaro posted:

This is all coming from two anonymous sources, the official police department statement is that those anonymous stories are not correct.

https://twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507?s=20

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe he didn't, but the perps thought he did through a hilarious series of misunderstandings?

I can imagine the Cohn brothers turning that into a vinngette in a Netflix anthology movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Piell posted:

This is all coming from two anonymous sources, the official police department statement is that those anonymous stories are not correct.

https://twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507?s=20

Gonna laugh if it turns out it's just a couple assholes in the Chicago PD who aren't on the case but are convinced it's all fake. Hopefully it doesn't also turn out that they're big into qanon, I don't want to test out my health insurance for a busted gut.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Charlz Guybon posted:

At least Nixon was smart and a canny political operator, why do people go to bat for this imbecilic narcissist?

Because Mitch and co. use Trump like a rubber stamp. He'll sign all of their evil laws and install their evil friends into positions of power that they can't get voted out of.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's more likely that Chicago PD cops who are not on the case , are telling their sources that because...it's the Chicago PD but also because he's involved with Black Lives Matter

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Star Man posted:

Because Mitch and co. use Trump like a rubber stamp. He'll sign all of their evil laws and install their evil friends into positions of power that they can't get voted out of.

The fatal flaw in that plan is that they couldn't even pass any laws when they controlled all of the Federal Government.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Passing laws was never the point; filling the judiciary with federalist stooges and deregulating everything was. Mitch McConnell is 100% looting the government; the reason he is so effective is that he does it in a low-key manner. Trump is the best distraction he could imagine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gyges posted:

The fatal flaw in that plan is that they couldn't even pass any laws when they controlled all of the Federal Government.

They managed to get the tax cut through fir the rich.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Star Man posted:

They managed to get the tax cut through fir the rich.

Barely, IIRC, and that's pissed off so many of their base because it eradicated a bunch of chud refunds this season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Smollett story seems to be:

Smollett: I was lynched.
Some people: That seems unlikely. Who lynches people in the cold?
Media: An anonymous source suggests it was staged.
Smollet: That's not true.
Cops: That's not true.
Some people: Seems like it was staged. Makes sense since it seemed so unlikely in the first place.

I'm either missing some really big piece of this puzzle or I'm really blown away by the way people are reacting to this story. Or I'm just not up on lynching etiquette to understand why this story was so unlikely in the first place.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I would assume you would want to factor that into taxes and your nanny would say "by the way if you file taxes on this I'm gonna get deported, so just pay me under the table and you get to save money on the taxes." And that's assuming she didn't just seek out such an arrangement as many do.

There's also been talk that the nanny thing was really just the tip of the iceberg and there was no chance she was going to get through the nomination process. It came off like the nanny thing was the most innocent thing they could throw out as an excuse, but there was no clue or hint of what the other stuff could be.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mycomancy posted:

Barely, IIRC, and that's pissed off so many of their base because it eradicated a bunch of chud refunds this season.

They'll completely forget it happened after this year's and next year's tax season. I have no faith.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Some people: Seems like it was staged. Makes sense since it seemed so unlikely in the first place.

I'm either missing some really big piece of this puzzle or I'm really blown away by the way people are reacting to this story. Or I'm just not up on lynching etiquette to understand why this story was so unlikely in the first place.

It's very simple

The media didn't apologize or pay attention when the alt-right was making fake facebook pages for Trayvon Martin.
+
The alt-right has had years to refine their tactics.
+
"America Is Already Great" in the face of even more evidence that America is and always was evil.
+
They desperately want to pretend that liberalism isn't collapsing around the world.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

The NY Times has a good timeline.

The Chicago PD picked up two brothers who they had identified as persons of interest. It's unclear if they are or are not the two people Smollett identified as his assailants from surveillance video. Then, the police released the brothers without charging them. Apparently, one had appeared as an extra on Empire, and Smollett had hired one of them as a personal trainer. The brothers say through their lawyer they had nothing to do with it.

Smollett also refused to turn over his phone, which he had been talking on during the incident, to the police, which is extremely reasonable.

This is the latest from the Chicago Chief of Police:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1097236283921977345Which is a lot of words to say very little.

So no one really knows anything, except for the people who aren't saying anything.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The two anonymous sources are the two Chicago PD officers who are huge MAGAturds who used their police power to plan and perform the attack. Then, they’re releasing the anonymous sources to try and muddy the waters and eventually when they’re identified, they’ll claim they’re being wrongfully accused/targeted for leaking, “the real story” and plan to ride the wingnut gravy train.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jussie Smollett never existed in the first place.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's actually sickening watching people beg and plead and wish that Jussie Smollet was actually beaten by white racists instead of making up a story. You'd think people would be happy when a hate crime didn't actually happen instead of braying and screaming for black blood.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Your Parents posted:

It's actually sickening watching people beg and plead and wish that Jussie Smollet was actually beaten by white racists instead of making up a story. You'd think people would be happy when a hate crime didn't actually happen instead of braying and screaming for black blood.

gently caress off.

Even supposing it was fake he still got beaten up, so your hot take isn't even technically correct

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He had one scratch on his cheek that looked like a cat batted at him. You really don't need to keep fantasizing about black men being beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Your Parents posted:

He had one scratch on his cheek that looked like a cat batted at him. You really don't need to keep fantasizing about black men being beaten.

This is a loving lovely take.