Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

By continuing to play 5e, even though you're not giving any more money to Zak or Mearls, you're still contributing to spreading a game that Mearls headlined. The boycott can and should be extended to playing 5e at all.

fair, I can see the logic in that, abstractly. I've not played D&D since 4th and have been avoiding the rogue's gallery of the politically and personally rpg writers (although I really liked Ken Hite as a kid... finding out he was a neocon stung) for a while now so it's not something I've had to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I haven't decided how or if I'm going to approach my group about giving up 5e. One guy is so invested he plays in two other games during the week. I may just force Spellbound Kingdoms or SotDL next time I run and hope it sticks.

*i say forlornly while looking at the shelf of other games they've refused to try*

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just play Blades in the Dark or something. There are too many awesome games out now to ever be able to play and if people are that attached to the D&D brand it's not a good sign.

I got a group of newbies who came in from The Adventure Zone and then I ran them through Dungeon World, 4E, and then a bunch of indie poo poo. No I'm not touching 5E thank you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

I haven't decided how or if I'm going to approach my group about giving up 5e. One guy is so invested he plays in two other games during the week. I may just force Spellbound Kingdoms or SotDL next time I run and hope it sticks.

*i say forlornly while looking at the shelf of other games they've refused to try*

Just be upfront and honest about the fact that 5e is a game by someone who deliberately and knowingly helped abusers hurt their victims, and that you don't want to play it any more, then pitch other games at them. They'll at least know why you want to drop it like the pile of poo poo it is.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For non-D&D systems I highly recommend Mouse Guard, which even if you leave out the mice does a bunch of things that are totally foreign to the D&D mindset, like cyclical downtime and extended passage of time as part of the system for character progression.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I'm going to try and convince my friends to play dungeon world, and also pray that Mearls gets loving fired.

For god's sake try something else

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I hate to tell yall but DnD almost always wins except for that time Pathfinder won but it's still DnD.

Nobody irl really gives a gently caress and even Rpgnet people in many cases hadn't heard of Zak until the Tangency thread which was mostly everyone saying gently caress Zak and mods giving multi day probate and topic bans for odd rear end reasons. (So shining a light on the roach was good because now many more people know and now it's clear how awful he is.)

DnD has always had the name cachet and now its got a huge organized play thing and all any local store FB pages that aren't Warhammer specific are either Magic organized play or DnD with gobs of people all but demanding or begging to get in AL games. It's like the 4th ed thing meets whatever bullshit deal Pathfinder had except presumably less achievements needed to be allowed to use various splatbooks.

Like we have 2 massive shops and it's all DnD all the time for RPGs. Every con and local group for decades has pretty much been DEE UN DEE AND NOTHING ELSE EVARSSSS..... :doom:

(It should be D6 Star Wars, BRP Call of Cthulhu, or Tunnels and Trolls if one must have Dungeon Hobos. )

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

thefakenews posted:

A response to that tweet indicates that all consultant credits have been removed from the version of the 5E PHB on Beyond.

Removing all of the credits seems like a bit of a dodge to me.

Either doing this is unethical because the "consultants" made real and meaningful contributions to the book, or else including them in the first place was unethical because their contributions were worthless and it was just a PR stunt.

I'm pretty sure which of the two it is, but either way it's not a great look.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a new thread about McFarland and it's as bad as you could imagine. Worse, possibly, so content warning.

https://twitter.com/amyveeres/status/1097347242862751744

There's one tweet in there about Beast I am sure some will note. This dude just does not get better.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jesus loving Christ.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Another good fantasy adventure RPG is Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures in the vein of YA fantasy stories like The Dark Is Rising sequence and The Chronicles of Prydain. I'm going to note that it is considered an OSR game that takes queues from PbtA. I'm not sure what relationship, if any, the creators have with Zak. They seem generally inactive and disconnected from the wider OSR circles online, but if someone knows either way, feel free to point it out.

If you want to stick close to D&D, there are some other OSR D&D retroclones that aren't made by lovely people, if you want more suggestions.

Fellowship is a Powered By the Apocalypse game that grew out of Dungeon World and became its own game with a tighter focus and better balance. The creator has a thread for his games here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880156 where he's happy to answer any questions.

Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel are two other options. Burning Wheel's rules can be intimidating and difficult to process at first, but Mouse Guard does a good job of taking the same system and making them more approachable. Luke Crane is a bit eccentric/kind of a dick depending on who you ask, but the games are solid. He also has Torchbearer, which is meant to be a grittier retro throwback game, if you're interested in that.

If you're into scifi, Fragged Empire has an excellent tactical combat system. They did a fantasy hack of the rules, too, called Fragged Kingdom. I know originally the main Fragged Empire book was necessary to support the Fragged Kingdom rules, and I don't think they ever published a fully standalone version.

Spellbound Kingdoms is a fantasy swashbuckling adventure game with a lot of neat ideas. There are some places where the rules are a bit confusing, but it has a unique setting and a really fun combat system based around moving through a map of potential moves.

If there are other genres or specific things you want a game to focus on (heists, mystery solving, exploring interpersonal relationships, fighting robots, etc.) there are some other better alternatives to D&D that are focused on those things, too.

I thought of a few more games

Ryuutama is a Japanese RPG (as in, a game created in Japan and translated to English) about traveling, exploring, and discovering new things. It's pretty light on rules, and very good for introducing new players (especially younger ones) to tabletop RPGs. It does have a surprising amount of rules on prepping for travel and managing your supplies, food, and water during a journey.

Continuing with a traveling theme, The One Ring is a game about journeying across Middle Earth seeing adventure, and retreating somewhere safe to recuperate and prep for the next journey.

If you're up for older, more rules-intensive games, there's also Pendragon, a game about being Arthurian Knights. Pendragon takes more of a historical fiction bent to King Arthur, but it's always asserted that it's find to bend and twist the fiction to suit your needs, like allowing female/non-white knights. There's a lot of generational play in Pendragon, so you can think of it as being sort of Crusader Kings-y. Prior editions also had rules for playing vikings and Muslim knights that could be adapted to Pendragon 5.2 without much effort. Chaosium is in the final stages of releasing a sister game, Paladin: Warriors of Charlemagne that's compatible with Pendragon 5.2, if you'd prefer to get your Orlando Furioso on instead.

Like was mentioned before, there's also HeroQuest and RuneQuest on the older side of games. Both take place in the strange world of Glorantha, which largely has bronze age-level technology and lots of ancient magic. HeroQuest has simpler rules and was designed with the intent of providing a more accessible pathway to playing in Glorantha. RuneQuest is a lot more rules-intensive, has much more deadly combat, and is generally of an older time. If you've played or listend to any AP of Call of Cthulhu, it uses an adapted RuneQuest rules system because they've been primarily published by the same company. 13th Age Glorantha moves the setting into more modern rules, if you'd prefer to explore it with something resembling D&D.

Another interesting, unique fantasy world is in Reign. Reign uses ORE (One Roll Engine), which is a system Greg designed after working for White Wolf and being flummoxed at their cavalier approach to setting success/fail thresholds across their games. Reign has some traditional adventuring, but also is about founding companies and taking over nations. It's rather notable for upsetting That Particular Kind of Neckbeard because the nations of people are predominately non-white. Men also typically ride horses side-saddle because riding astride can make them infertile, meaning most knights are either women or eunuchs. There's a version of Reign that removes the setting, and Reign 2e is in development and should be out... at some point with variant settings, too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you're up for older, more rules-intensive games, there's also Pendragon, a game about being Arthurian Knights. Pendragon takes more of a historical fiction bent to King Arthur, but it's always asserted that it's find to bend and twist the fiction to suit your needs, like allowing female/non-white knights. There's a lot of generational play in Pendragon, so you can think of it as being sort of Crusader Kings-y. Prior editions also had rules for playing vikings and Muslim knights that could be adapted to Pendragon 5.2 without much effort. Chaosium is in the final stages of releasing a sister game, Paladin: Warriors of Charlemagne that's compatible with Pendragon 5.2, if you'd prefer to get your Orlando Furioso on instead.

Pendragon is also famous for its Grand Campaign, in which players get to play out the entire history of Arthur, from the days of Uther (with optional expansion backwards to allow PCs to help Uther rise to power) to the fall of Camelot. It is not designed for PCs to derail the major events of the story, but offers a ton of freedom within that story framework. So, like, Uther and Madoc are going to die - but you can interact with them heavily before that, for example, and in a game I'm currently running, one of the PCs is wooing Madoc in the hopes of managing to have kids with him before his inevitable death. Likewise, you probably won't overshadow Lancelot, but you can become his respected comrade and get talked the hell up by the Best Knight In The Realm.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pendragon actually does object to you bending the fiction by all that much, it's just what it considers bending is changing the characters and themes of Arthurian fiction not the specific set pieces. Also helpfully non-white knights are explicitly canon even from the old Middle Ages literature period.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nuns with Guns posted:

Chaosium is in the final stages of releasing a sister game, Paladin: Warriors of Charlemagne that's compatible with Pendragon 5.2, if you'd prefer to get your Orlando Furioso on instead.

Holy hell, why have I not heard of this before?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pendragon's main creator Greg Stafford also died recently.

As far as I can tell The Book of Knights and Ladies is still compatible and that has rules for Saracen, Byzantine and even Jewish knights. (religion does play a fairly important part in the setting and system, as one might expect, though there are tips put in for supporting pagan knights) It's one of those systems clearly built around a specific setting and tone, but seems like you can do a ton within that.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Reign has one of my favorite setting details ever, where the sun is a fixed point that brightens and dims and the world's gravity is "towards the center mass of this gigantic body of rock that may or may not be a person."

Which leads to areas being cast in permanent shadow. Which leads to completely nocturnal life. Which leads to a city that grew up the side of a mountain swallowing farms as it went, except for one stubborn rear end in a top hat who refused to sell his land and now farms dark crops in his fields, completely surrounded by 4 story buildings on all sides.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

edit: I know I'm replying to something last page that isn't really relevant to the thread but Arivia wasn't explaining it very well and I don't want anyone to think she's an rear end in a top hat, at least, not for specifically that reason

Darwinism posted:

I can't find anything that says that they put out a nuclear attack warning, every source I see just says "Amber Alert"

A bunch of news is disingenuously saying that anyone who complains about it is actually complaining about amber alerts and wants children to die or whatever.

The actual problem is that instead of using the amber alert system they've routinely used in the past they used the new system that has a top priority alert level that is meant for natural disasters and nukes and stuff that makes your phone blare a scary sound until you read it (and is supposedly impossible to block or mute, but I've heard differing information on that). My source is that I got the first alert announcing the amber alert and the second an hour later that cancelled it, both of which startled the gently caress out of me because they were sent with the wrong alert level. I think the US calls the equivalent system "presidential alerts" or something.

Like no one is complaining about amber alerts and no one wants children to be abducted or murdered, it's just that there's a system in place that wasn't used correctly for this event and it shouldn't be a routine thing to use the "imminent danger to the public, evacuate immediately or kiss your rear end goodbye" alert level for something that a proper amber alert system already exists for.

I personally wasn't inconvenienced by it so I'm not complaining about that but it sort of undermines the purpose of a "get the gently caress out now" alert system if you train people to expect that it's being used for something other than that.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 18, 2019

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
This is the first time an amber alert was sent out, it's hardly "routine."

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I get that level of phone alert now and then due to tornado warnings. Those things are incredibly startling. If I was in charge of sending them out, I'd be very worried about using them for anything for anything short than impending catastrophes for fear of causing traffic incidents, heart attacks, etc.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I got one of those "The world is ending, make peace with your god" alerts once for an elderly dementia patient that went missing.... two hours away by car.. at 3AM. And then another one when he was found.

I'd be less annoyed about that for an Amber Alert though.

Back on topic. Apparently the reason why the Hero in the intro fiction to the Beast Player's Guide is actually reasonable and even handed and a decent human being rather than a flanderized egotistical monster is because he's a Speech Therapist, just like Matt was a Speech Therapist when he worked in schools.

So, you know. I'll be over here vomiting.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

slap me and kiss me posted:

This is the first time an amber alert was sent out, it's hardly "routine."

I have normal amber alerts on my phone logs going back to may of last year before the emergency system was put in place though. Did they get rid of those and are now sending them out via the 2019 version of an air raid siren?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Back on topic. Apparently the reason why the Hero in the intro fiction to the Beast Player's Guide is actually reasonable and even handed and a decent human being rather than a flanderized egotistical monster is because he's a Speech Therapist, just like Matt was a Speech Therapist when he worked in schools.

So, you know. I'll be over here vomiting.

Like the thread I posted earlier said, "autobiographical elements."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Yoon-Suin guy wrote a whole bunch of words that seem to say "I'm a piece of poo poo".

http://monstersandmanuals.blogspot....tersAndManuals+(Monsters+and+Manuals)&m=1

Previously he definitely wrote about playing games with Nazis

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

alg posted:

The Yoon-Suin guy wrote a whole bunch of words that seem to say "I'm a piece of poo poo".

I shouldn't have clicked through, your gloss covered it perfectly.
Somehow, some of the commenters are even worse.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

x-poastin

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

The burden of proof in criminal law is so high because the penalties are so high. I understand where the "I need proof beyond a reasonable doubt before we can judge [person]" thinking comes from, but it is not correct thinking unless you are literally in criminal court.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I got that alert at work the other night. I live, like, four hours away... by plane. Like, this was badly done all around.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Ninja Division Fuckery

That sure is some gross mismanagement, but I think everyone saw that coming. These are the guys Palladium first hitched their Robotech RPG Tactics wagon to, weren't they?

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

That sure is some gross mismanagement, but I think everyone saw that coming. These are the guys Palladium first hitched their Robotech RPG Tactics wagon to, weren't they?

Yup. It kind of colors that kickstarter in a new light... you were dealing with gross mismanagement by amateurs and amateur micromanagement by Kevin Siembieda. The only reason they even got Wave 1 out the door was probably because there was enough cash to cover up the clusterfun for a while.

EDIT: I also want to point out that they never even released the rules for Wave 2 and 3 Robotech minis. It makes you wonder if those even got playtested.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How inept is Ninja Division to have botched everything they've done so badly?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

alg posted:

This is not even the hot take the dude thinks it is. Like, his basic position is: the currently available information wouldn't prove the allegations beyond reasonable doubt but, based on the credible nature of the allegations and other information, I personally believe that the allegations are true.

As far as I can tell, that's the position basically everyone has on this. But for some reason this dude wants to engage in loud hand-wringing about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

How inept is Ninja Division to have botched everything they've done so badly?

Extremely, it seems.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nuns with Guns posted:

If anyone's on the fence I wrote up a Fatal & Friends profile of Pendragon - an older edition, it must be noted, but since most of the tweaks from edition to edition for Pendragon tend to be minor, it'll still give you an idea of what you're looking at.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

As per the law of inverse ninjas, they should be more effective following the layoffs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If anyone's on the fence I wrote up a Fatal & Friends profile of Pendragon - an older edition, it must be noted, but since most of the tweaks from edition to edition for Pendragon tend to be minor, it'll still give you an idea of what you're looking at.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough.
It's something of a category-killer in RPGs - that is, there have been almost no attempts to make an Arthurian RPG for the last 35 years because Pendragon already exists and it's vanishingly unlikely that someone will do a better job of it than Greg Stafford did.

It's that good.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

For anyone that didn't check out the Ninja Division post, this honestly sums everything up

:eyepop:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So every Kickstarter they've run has been at a loss.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Darwinism posted:

For anyone that didn't check out the Ninja Division post, this honestly sums everything up

:eyepop:

How?

How?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's probably dumb poo poo like not taking into account problems with fulfillment, shipping costs, printing errors, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kwyndig posted:

So every Kickstarter they've run has been at a loss.

Not just at a loss, but at double their receipts.

Astounding.