Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rated 3. Get it together, Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zesty posted:

Rated 3. Get it together, Thread.

*dramatically looks up at Riker's collar, decompresses main shuttle bay*

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CPColin posted:

*dramatically looks up at Riker's collar, decompresses main shuttle bay*

Thread still explodes

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Wow, I thought we'd lose Tom for sure in that shuttle accident."
"Not to worry, We'll Always Have Paris."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pull up, thread

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I have not watched Discovery, which I presume that is from.

The saucer spins?

Why?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

if only there was some way for you to find out why..

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean it’s not like the show tells you. It just looks neat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Because the mushrooms fueling the thing are shrooms.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I have a pizza cutter like that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cessna posted:

The saucer spins?

Why?

Something to do with cavitation if I remember the background dialogue correctly.

Anyway, they spin the saucer when they're using the jump drive ~spore drive~ ~~*displacement activated spore hub drive*~~... when they "skip across the galaxy on a highway made of mushrooms".

EDIT: spore drive, displacement activated spore hub drive, and "skip across the galaxy on a highway made of mushrooms" are all literal excerpts from Discovery's dialogue.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 19, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Because the people runners who sign off on effects don't give a gently caress and it literally shows.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cessna posted:

The saucer spins?

Why?

You've perhaps also noticed, I would think, that the entire ship also spins, on a different axis.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Geekboy posted:

This is the whitest thing I’ve ever read on these forums.

Orrrrrrrrr maybe I know a lot about ethnic minorities in sci-fi (or at least enough to make FBTS not be teaching me anything)? Stop loving acting like you're king woke in every star trek thread.
FBTS is too American, it wasn't what I wanted when it was an episode a week and we're in the middle of something big.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You seem upset Mr Tuvok. Perhaps you could be cheered up with a game of kadas kat?

It's a strange thing that they come up with terrible future (or alien) sports/games but never bother with any other facet of culture at all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

You've perhaps also noticed, I would think, that the entire ship also spins, on a different axis.

At least it's not spinning on its intermediate axis, as that would be unstable.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

(Some distance away, a battered and bloody offspring creature crawls across the floor and presses a button. Smash cut to a close-up of the creature's face, pull out to reveal a Brady Bunch style grid of all Star Trek characters ever. The refrain to the song "Too Many Treks!" begins to loop. Fade to black.)

Man, with all the "character goes crazy/is replaced by an imposter" episodes of Trek you could probably make quite a decent Too Many Treks video.

Edit: I stopped minding the spinning saucer when I realised it wasn't the whole thing spinning, but a shield or layer on top of it. It's different to the type of stuff we usually see in Trek but that reinforces the feeling that the whole jump system they are using is unique.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 19, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pull up, thread

Please tell me this had a cartoon 'thonk' sound.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Cessna posted:

The saucer spins?

Why?
It has to spin. It's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

You don't need to ask John Cena why his championship belt has a spinner, just roll with it.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Get over it. It's all fake.

No hay banda. This is all a tape recording.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Something to do with cavitation if I remember the background dialogue correctly.

Anyway, they spin the saucer when they're using the jump drive ~spore drive~ ~~*displacement activated spore hub drive*~~... when they "skip across the galaxy on a highway made of mushrooms".

EDIT: spore drive, displacement activated spore hub drive, and "skip across the galaxy on a highway made of mushrooms" are all literal excerpts from Discovery's dialogue.

I read "skip across the galaxy on a highway made of mushrooms" as "so they skipped across the galaxy on a highway made of 'shrooms," to the tune of the line "So he bought a one way ticket on an airline made of snow" from the song "Snowblind Friend" by Steppenwolf.

Captain said to move real fast, too much time warp drive consumes
So they skipped across the galaxy on a highway made of 'shrooms

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 19, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Please tell me this had a cartoon 'thonk' sound.

The bass-heavy synth sci-fi WHOMM equivalent, yeah. It was great.

And for context, they intentionally hosed up that jump so that they’d be able to gently caress around in the shroom-filled pocket dimension for a while to rescue someone. Say what you will about Discovery, but season 2 has really doubled down on the weirdness and sometimes it’s great.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Disco, when it’s firing on all cylinders, is goofy, camp, and straight up weird - all in the best ways. It’s slowly starting to own it too. Last week’s episode was a perfect example of all three.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching "The Way of the Warrior", the double DS9 episode that they started Season 4 with Worf joining the cast. They do an outstanding job of basically rebooting the series. The show's finally paranoid about the changelings. There are several moments where Sisko has to make choices that can single-handedly drag the Federation into war. Worf basically gets all his gains with the Klingons reset to zero, but in a believable way. Dukat and Gowron get their proper entrances into the series. loving Bashir's giving the staff a quick rundown on battlefield medicine. It's got the scene where Quark and Dukat talk about how bad the Federation's cultural hegemony is. The effects shots rule. The shields go down and all hell breaks loose with great Star Trek style fighting all over the station.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty much down with FTL travel being shown as weird and crazy looking.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty much down with FTL travel being shown as weird and crazy looking.

I want some kind of FTL drive system that involves a transmission that has to be shifted. A hyper stick shift. And when you grind 'em, the whole ship shudders.

In my Trek, the original USS Excelsior's new tech is an automatic drive.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tarlibone posted:

I want some kind of FTL drive system that involves a transmission that has to be shifted. A hyper stick shift. And when you grind 'em, the whole ship shudders.

Isn't that basically the TARDIS and the Doctor not knowing how to use a clutch?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tarlibone posted:

They did a parking brake joke in JJTrek. That's probably as close as we're going to get.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tarlibone posted:

Your Trek is weird but cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

Isn't that basically the TARDIS and the Doctor not knowing how to use a clutch?

The signature sound of the TARDIS warping is apparently because the Doctor leaves the parking brake on. And it's supposed to be crewed by at least six people.

Steven Universe has a fun case where the characters don't listen to the instructions of how to use the Alcubierre Drive properly and poo poo ends up getting crazy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

"I'm the general admiral, I want it to spin!"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Watching "The Way of the Warrior", the double DS9 episode that they started Season 4 with Worf joining the cast. They do an outstanding job of basically rebooting the series. The show's finally paranoid about the changelings. There are several moments where Sisko has to make choices that can single-handedly drag the Federation into war. Worf basically gets all his gains with the Klingons reset to zero, but in a believable way. Dukat and Gowron get their proper entrances into the series. loving Bashir's giving the staff a quick rundown on battlefield medicine. It's got the scene where Quark and Dukat talk about how bad the Federation's cultural hegemony is. The effects shots rule. The shields go down and all hell breaks loose with great Star Trek style fighting all over the station.

Way of the Warrior owns. Some of the best Trek out there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

To be honest I think when I was a kid I wondered why the Enterprise's saucer section didn't spin.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cessna posted:

The saucer spins?

Why?

In order for the displacement activation to occur to travel using the mycelial network, a ship must first generate an asymmetric subspace field potential. The Discovery (and its sistership, the Glenn) had hull-based field generators that required additional, counter-balanced angular momentum to successfully form the characteristic potential in spacetime.

Actually, no, I just made all of that up. It spins because it looks neat

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The first time they were powering up the drive dramatically it was 'excess energy cavitation initiated' to turn the spinning on.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ashpanash posted:

In order for the displacement activation to occur to travel using the mycelial network, a ship must first generate an asymmetric subspace field potential. The Discovery (and its sistership, the Glenn) had hull-based field generators that required additional, counter-balanced angular momentum to successfully form the characteristic potential in spacetime.

Actually, no, I just made all of that up. It spins because it looks neat

As a kid I was obsessed with things like the TNG Tech Manual and it's quite relieving to have a Trek show that doesn't feel like it needs to explain the details of how everything works.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Hey there, Star Trek thread. I'm planning on watching (binging) all of the Star Trek. As I go along, should I post my thoughts here? You don't need to warn me, I know what I'm getting into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's like that Hitchhiker's Guide spaceship that uses an Italian restaurant to power FTL travel using the advanced mathematics of dividing up the bill, as a revolving restaurant.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watch it in chronological order, so start with All Good things as it has scenes in pre-life Earth, then move into Times Arrow which takes place in the 19th century, then one scene from Past Tense, then City on the Edge of Forever, then Carbon Creek, then Little Green Men, then Times Orphan, then Assignment Earth, then another scene from Past Tense, then Star Trek IV, then Futures End, then 11:59, then the rest of Past Tense, then First Contact, etc and so forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
But seriously, just watch all of it and watch each series in the order it came out (even though for the first few episodes of TOS that's a little tricky). If you get bored with an episode, just like use your phone while it's on or something, or I guess skip it if it's that bad. And don't bother with "essential episodes" lists, they're pointless, unless you have to write a research paper about Star Trek or something.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 19, 2019