Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mob, Saikou. This show's the best thing airing right now and nobody else is even close. Showing Mob and Reigen's meeting again from Reigen's perspective was an obvious move but still crazy effective. And the end of the episode was, of course, perfection.

That's where the scene originally appeared in the manga, so if anything Bones moving it to the first season and showing it from Mob's perspective only to recontextualise it from Reigen's here was the perfect long con on Bones' part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mob Psycho is a anime that makes me want to be a better person tbh

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

I seriously almost cry every time I see the flashback. Little fifth grade Mob being so amazed to hear someone try to relate to him kills me

I love the shot in the flashback from Reigen's POV when he talks about how he admired Mob, and the scene goes from black and white to in color.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man what a nice wrap up to the arc in a satisfactory manner

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I simulwatch this with a friend and I told him to wait on watching ep 6 till 7 was out. So we had a double feature and it was a really good time.

We both started getting a bit misty eyed right about where Reigen did, too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

That's where the scene originally appeared in the manga, so if anything Bones moving it to the first season and showing it from Mob's perspective only to recontextualise it from Reigen's here was the perfect long con on Bones' part.

Oh, wow, yeah, that's some impressive adaptation work

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I teared up, I'm not ashamed.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zerilan posted:

I love the shot in the flashback from Reigen's POV when he talks about how he admired Mob, and the scene goes from black and white to in color.
I really love the bit after that, where Reigen admits that he's the one who's been holding Mob back, and the camera moves through the gash on Reigen's back, the one that he got from Sakurai when defending Mob and telling him that it's okay to run away, that makes Mob give Reigen 100% Gratitude

just super good symbolism, showing that even we hurt the people we love, it doesn't invalidate all our past experiences with them, and we can grow and become greater from that. Hurting others and making mistakes doesn't mean you aren't or can't be a good person.

e: the lyrics to the ed used here and episode 1, sajou no hana's gray, are also real good. i wish it was the main ED, but i like they break out for big emotional moments

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 19, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

i remember being worried that showing that scene earlier would dull this part of the series since we'd seen it before but I think it worked out with Reigen's added thoughts we didn't know before.

the scene definitely gives off a different feeling for a manga reader when this moment is the first time they see it as oppossed to seeing it during the claw arc.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This show is really loving good

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I cried.

Also,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mob Psycho is a anime that makes me want to be a better person tbh

I've been working on adulting better lately, and I swear this show is the reason.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 19, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This was my favorite arc in the manga, and I am so glad to see it adapted so wonderfully.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Man I feel bad for the rest of the anime coming out this year because this is firmly my Anime of the Year. Something truly spectacular has to come out to stand of chance of dethroning Mob.

God I was emotional at the end of this episode

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Mob and Reigen are the best boys, and I love seeing them grow as people.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god this episode. My heart. This series is drat good. Only Mob could go from the hilarity of the ending of the press conference to an incredibly sweet moment that almost brought me to tears in the span of 30-40 seconds. drat

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This really is the most wholesome story I've ever witnessed because it is entirely about spreading wholesomeness.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I can't believe how good this show is and I can't believe how hard it's been for me to get other people to watch it

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

FutonForensic posted:

I can't believe how good this show is and I can't believe how hard it's been for me to get other people to watch it

IKR? I've been trying to get some liveblogs to watch it but not much luck.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

just L O L at those chumps who think Reigen Arataka is not the real deal.

Of all the manga to ever get adaptations, I think this might be the singular one where the anime is just as good or better than the manga deserved.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I've watched the last episode like 5 times and not once has the ending failed to make me tear up. Perfect manga, perfect anime

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

just L O L at those chumps who think Reigen Arataka is not the real deal.

One of those chumps is Reigen Arataka. Are you saying you know better than Reigen?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mob knows Reigen is the real deal, are you saying you are better than Mob?

:checkmate:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

Mob knows Reigen is the real deal

No, he knows that Reigen is a good person. Deep down. Really deep. Super get in there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mulva posted:

No, he knows that Reigen is a good person. Deep down. Really deep. Super get in there.

The show has done cryptids before.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

One of those chumps is Reigen Arataka. Are you saying you know better than Reigen?

Reigen's official statement on the matter is, as always, "No comment". Your interpretation is, as always, a sign of unjustified confidence in your ability to understand the thinking of your betters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I don't know, I think my long streak of not needing to have my social life saved by a 14 year old boy puts me one up on him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there is absolutely no shame in having mob positively affect your life

he does it for me all the time

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

I don't know, I think my long streak of not needing to have my social life saved by a 14 year old boy puts me one up on him.

Not having a social life doesn't count as having saved it yourself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

That doesn't actually parse as a burn, but I mean what can I expect from people who idolize Reigen?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't understand the meaning of this sentence.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

didn't you do the whole "did you guys know that the fictional character has flaws" thing in the manga thread already

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The past is a forgotten country full of poo poo posts, two years ago might as well not even exist.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Please be a staged fake out by the evil kid :ohdear:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A calm episode about a marathon.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mordaedil posted:

A calm episode about a marathon.

Mob really was on fire with the training huh.

It should be noted that this is one area where the anime is way better than the manga. In the manga, we were only just introduced to Mob's parents in this chapter. In the anime, Bones has made it so they were a constant presence even in season 1. So the emotional impact is way harder, especially since they've shown they've been pretty decent parents.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
get ready, ready to set mob off, off

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Mob really was on fire with the training huh.

It should be noted that this is one area where the anime is way better than the manga. In the manga, we were only just introduced to Mob's parents in this chapter. In the anime, Bones has made it so they were a constant presence even in season 1. So the emotional impact is way harder, especially since they've shown they've been pretty decent parents.

Actually, they were still around in the Ritsu focused chapters, only really additional anime-only screentime they got was the cold open to this ep, Tsubomi is the only one really getting extra screentime in this version

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No, no no no, please just be an illusion by that lovely kid.

Mob :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mob....