Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody here played "Alert Alek"? That was a staple of my young adulthood.

I saw them open for Amon Amarth as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Serious S.A.M.M.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Heavy Metal posted:

Well there ya go, now I know Jack as they say. Level design being boring is the main thing that'd have me skip a game.

I'm more blown away that Jack is mute. Who the gently caress greenlit that?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The only thing I remember about contract jack is chasing someone down who has a key and some dude over the intercom is yelling LUIGI HAS THE KEY SOMEBODY PROTECTA LUIGI!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Looks like gggman covered it in one of his earlier vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1qgUBDO9Cw

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Forget about Contract J.A.C.K, Civvie 11 just posted a Doom video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCTpwLdYQA&t=419s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This one seems a bit phoned in imo but covering an entire game in one video is unusual for him so I can understand it feeling a bit cramped.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t think I have ever played Fortress of Mystery

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

wafflemoose posted:

"If I ever have kids, they're gonna come out circle-strafing."

Civvie keeps getting better and better.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm still reeling from the "You know those Japanese sex robots they have? This is probably what their pussy tastes like." line.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

thedangergroove posted:

"If I ever have kids, they're gonna come out circle-strafing."

Civvie keeps getting better and better.

I almost threw up from laughing so hard at that one. Caught me completely off guard. I love Civvie.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From an interview with David Szymanski:

quote:

On this note, I ask about possible plans for his next project. Would it be another FPS, or something else entirely?

“I’m not gonna be doing another retro FPS, at least for a little bit.” He tells me he’s a big fan of immersive sims and survival horror, and that his next project might go in “one or both of those directions.”
drat.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What do you mean drat the Dusk guy's take on a Deus Ex/Thief/System Shock style game sounds like the greatest gift to baryonic life.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've asked this before, but never got an answer: Has anyone ever made Doom 1 for Doom 2?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Because he made the best classic-style FPS since classic FPS games were modern and I haven't really loved an immersive sim since Deus Ex/Thief/System Shock, it's not my thing anymore. I'm also still really hoping for Dusk episode 4.

I respect him for making what he wants to make, though. Dusk will definitely continue to contribute as an example of how to do a fast-paced FPS right.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

A.o.D. posted:

I've asked this before, but never got an answer: Has anyone ever made Doom 1 for Doom 2?

I think knee-deep in Zdoom (http://kdizd.drdteam.org/) and Maps of Chaos (https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutalized-doom-and-doom-ii) are the only thing that come close; both are pretty meh imo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not sure I understand this, arn't both games built on the exact same engine, so porting Doom1 into Doom2 is just... Doom1?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

John's been playing Fortnite recently and wants to integrate those ideas into the WAD now. So it'll come out this month, 2021.

honestly a battle royale game made to mechanically replicate old FPS games might actually be a solid idea

like, one of the things that sucks about the genre is that Fortnite is about as arcadey as you get, and it's basically Halo. if there was a BR game that had mobility and gunfeel along the lines of DOOM 2016 that would actually probably be fun as hell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a question, regarding three things: Mac OSX 10.7, MetaDOOM, and GZDoom.

Basically, I downloaded MetaDOOM, and the latest, 'vintage' version of GZDoom for mac, which is version 3.7.2. No matter how many times I drag the metadoom_v5.2_klave.7z file onto the GZDoom app, no matter what WAD I select, it just runs regular Doom.

On a whim, I tried Reelism and Trailblazer (v1.2), and they worked fine doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Aaaaaand nevermind, I guess the original download didn't fully take. It wouldn't unzip, but I just figured I'd have to load the 7zip file into GZDoom. Now that I tried again, unzipped, loaded the pk3 into GZDoom, it's all good.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 20, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly a battle royale game made to mechanically replicate old FPS games might actually be a solid idea

like, one of the things that sucks about the genre is that Fortnite is about as arcadey as you get, and it's basically Halo. if there was a BR game that had mobility and gunfeel along the lines of DOOM 2016 that would actually probably be fun as hell.

Apex is the closest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Serephina posted:

I'm not sure I understand this, arn't both games built on the exact same engine, so porting Doom1 into Doom2 is just... Doom1?

I assume A.o.D. envisions a wad which retains Doom's maps but updates them to incorporate the Super Shotgun and Doom 2's new enemies. You'd have to do some substantial revisions to make that work though, since Doom's level design is too cramped for monsters like the Mancubus or Revenant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samopsa posted:

I think knee-deep in Zdoom (http://kdizd.drdteam.org/)

KDIZD is for Doom 1, not for Doom II. You'll get texture errors if you load it with the Doom II IWAD.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume A.o.D. envisions a wad which retains Doom's maps but updates them to incorporate the Super Shotgun and Doom 2's new enemies. You'd have to do some substantial revisions to make that work though, since Doom's level design is too cramped for monsters like the Mancubus or Revenant.

if they fit in Ancient Aliens first 3 levels they'd fit in parts of Doom 1.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

A.o.D. posted:

If I remember correctly I think the PSX Doom does just that, as it's a big 'ol mashup of various Doom and Doom II levels. You had stuff like chaingunners showing up in the Toxin Refinery.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc there's a monster randomizer mod for d2, so theoretically you could probably load doom 1 as a pwad for d2 in gz, use the monster randomizer, and then cheat yourself the super shotgun???

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

There's that Wadsmoosh thing that'd put both IWADs into one single one - as well as both parts of Final Doom, The Master Levels (in a variety of potential orders) and No Rest For the Living, if you have the respective parts to supply the executable. Might suffice for your "I want the SSG in KDITD" needs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

Apex is the closest.

yeah, as far as battle royales go right now apex has the chunkiest and nicest-feeling gunplay, which is cool

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ChickenHeart posted:

If I remember correctly I think the PSX Doom does just that, as it's a big 'ol mashup of various Doom and Doom II levels. You had stuff like chaingunners showing up in the Toxin Refinery.

You do remember correctly.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

The Early FPS Megathread - You pedantic gently caress

SpaceAceJase posted:

Looks like gggman covered it in one of his earlier vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1qgUBDO9Cw

This looks awful, seems like one of those mediocre spin off expansion pack games that's made by another dev but it's made by the same people as NOLF2 so I don't understand how it even got made, did the publisher just force them to make it or something?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's also Doom:One, which turns all of Doom 1 into a single continuous level with some new areas and Doom 2 weapons/enemies. It's awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Origami Dali posted:

There's also Doom:One, which turns all of Doom 1 into a single continuous level with some new areas and Doom 2 weapons/enemies. It's awesome.

Isn't this close to what John Carmack originally wanted for Doom; a huge, contiguous area?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't this close to what John Carmack originally wanted for Doom; a huge, contiguous area?

I always got the impression this was more of a Tom Hall thing than a Carmack thing but maybe I'm getting that confused with Hall being the one who actually wrote it up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That single contiguous map thing makes me think about Deus Vult surprisingly enough where towards the end you return to some of the earlier parts again , which is a lot more impressive and cool when you play the single continuous map version as opposed to the segmented one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
But taken too far that turns into Hexen's hub level which were objectively terrible

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love Hexen so much. Why did it have to be so terrible with the keys?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

a very high % of what is wrong with hexens key system is how bad at visually signposting stuff the levels are. its extremely easy to miss a key, sometimes even when you're in the same room as the key (looking at you, caves on hub 2). the fact that a lot of the areas are labyrinthine and very similar looking (in some cases mirrored) does not help at all (iron zone in e1, all the zones in e2 apart from the swamp) with the general amount of disorientation.

putting a brown key on top of a tiny brown rock in a brown cave makes it easy to miss

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Serephina posted:

Picture this: You're in E1M6, and the door across the nukage pool opens to reveal some imps, a couple of pinkies, and a chaingunner.

Meanwhile back in E1M4 the secret rocket launcher is instead a super shotgun.

Also, throughout E2, most of the barons have been replaced with multiple hell knights.

And so on.

What I'm talking about is a recreation of the maps of doom 1, with the enemies and items of doom 2, while still trying to keep a similar sense of challenge progression.

Origami Dali posted:

I tried this, and it only sort of had Doom2 integration. The first episode did have some, but as you went on the integration became almost completely nonexistent.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pathways Into Darkness has been rebuilt in Aleph One, so you can play it with a gamepad (mostly, you still need a keyboard to talk to corpses) on a non-Mac like the blasphemer you are. Pretty impressive!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 21, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Kins posted:

Pathways Into Darkness has been rebuilt in Aleph One, so you can play it with a gamepad (mostly, you still need a keyboard to talk to corpses) on a non-Mac like the blasphemer you are. Pretty impressive!

That’s neat I guess, didn’t think it would ever finish. Feel like I first played the demo a decade ago. Guess I’ll give it a whirl this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Neat! I'm glad to be able to check it out, I'm real bad at adventure games but I love just about everything else about PiD. Although it does remind me that I'm stuck on Habe Quiddam back in Marathon.