Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Artix posted:

Give it... *checks notes* 13 more episodes? :v:

You lied to me, you monster!

I meant that other Skulltula that's actually been on screen a whole lot, even in this last episode.

Between the magic bar and the B button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Amazing, never even saw that one. I'll make sure to pick it up on my quest to get to 69 skulltulas and then stop forever.

edit: Oh, looks like I posted the most recent episode on the last page.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thank you.

In your defense, it was occluded by the magic bar and hearts most of the time due to how the camera moves in that area.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

God dammit :sigh:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Imagine if the creator could signpost the critical path better, huh?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Needing an item at the very end of a dungeon that you didn't need in the slightest to get to that point is absolutely poo poo design. The creator should have kept up with his rust fetish and put a rusty switch towards the beginning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
lol

I think a lot of hacks suffer from "I the person who created this section know how to do this, therefore everyone should know exactly what to do" but this one especially.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

lol

I think a lot of hacks suffer from "I the person who created this section know how to do this, therefore everyone should know exactly what to do" but this one especially.

AKA, the lack of play testing problem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah that's not just a hack problem that's one of the backbone traps of game design.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ramos posted:

AKA, the lack of play testing problem.

P much. Wonder if this is just a lack of communication within game design communities, or a fear of criticism vs critical feedback.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

P much. Wonder if this is just a lack of communication within game design communities, or a fear of criticism vs critical feedback.

If I were to take a guess, this hack is just made by a single isolated person who doesn't have a community giving feedback. With that in mind, you just kind of go, go, and go and whatever you end up with is what you got.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Isn't that how FTL got difficulty settings? The beta testers loved the hard difficulty as the default, but it became inaccessible to anyone who wasn't a beta tester. I feel like this guy sent the hack to a couple of hardcore players to test, and that was it

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I imagine the OoT hacking community is very tiny so the whole "one person, working in isolation" thing is probably true. And seeing as I only saw the game by watching ZFG stream it, aka the speedrunner with the WR for OoT 100%, you're probably right that the only people who beta tested are people who are way too familiar with the game and its mechanics. But none of that excuses the terrible design of allowing the player to travel that far into the dungeon with no warning that they'll be turned back by an arbitrary lock.

Unfortunately for us......

GOD DAMMIT :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

C-Euro posted:

With small fan projects like this it's generally going to be a lack of feedback rather than ignoring feedback. Especially romhacks since there's not a lot of avenues that creators can get feedback with while avoiding C&D's.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't wait for you to get the Light Arrows from fishing up the Hylian Loach, but the fishing pond is customized and good luck finding the sinking lure.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm putting my money on fishing for keys in Ganon's Castle

Let's just go full on Big the Cat mode on it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
We're coming up on the incredible stream I got to watch. This hack is so good

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FPzero posted:

I imagine the OoT hacking community is very tiny so the whole "one person, working in isolation" thing is probably true. And seeing as I only saw the game by watching ZFG stream it, aka the speedrunner with the WR for OoT 100%, you're probably right that the only people who beta tested are people who are way too familiar with the game and its mechanics. But none of that excuses the terrible design of allowing the player to travel that far into the dungeon with no warning that they'll be turned back by an arbitrary lock.

Unfortunately for us......

GOD DAMMIT :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

This thumbnail speaks a thousand words.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

We're coming up on the incredible stream I got to watch. This hack is so good

I only got to catch half of it, and it was still an amazing stream. I can't wait to see the parts I missed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I got inspired by one of you guys talking about meatball subs. Thanks for making my dinner plans for me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ZeButler posted:

I only got to catch half of it, and it was still an amazing stream. I can't wait to see the parts I missed.

Not sure which half you saw but it’s...it’s amazing. I’m laughing just thinking about it

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

i just wanna go home and make progress...

(Next time we start the much talked about "amazing" stream so stay tuned!)

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Not sure which half you saw but it’s...it’s amazing. I’m laughing just thinking about it

I saw the second half of the stream, it was great.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*immediately backflips into the lava*

By the way we're going to be streaming tomorrow (Saturday) instead of on Sunday. We haven't nailed down the exact start time yet but the guess is around 3pm or 4pm EST.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Original Fire Temple music slaps and I'm sad that it got taken out of later releases of the game :( I still have a 1.1 (or whatever version that isn't 1.0 but has the original music) cart and I'm a little reluctant to part with it for that reason.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Stream's going to be at 4pm EST. It'll be picking up after the end of the current session of videos being posted, which will be episode 52. We actually make a lot of progress in this session so it's up to you if you want to catch the stream live or wait for these episodes to get posted.

It'll be live at https://www.twitch.tv/FPzero like usual.

Edit: Over now, good god that was exhausting. Bad water temple

FPzero fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 17, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Poor Goku's gonna need to see a physician after all this.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
e: nm

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
You have no idea how much I was hoping that would be the iron boots, because ~romhacks~

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

pointlessone posted:

You have no idea how much I was hoping that would be the iron boots, because ~romhacks~

Just to make the constant falling that much more bone-shatteringly painful.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't believe it was all meaningless this whole time.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

why did i spend so long on this

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Because it's extremely good, thank you!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I keep expecting more ice chests.

I am continually disappointed.

:P

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Weeble posted:

You will get your wish.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Weeble posted:

There is no one on this stream who wishes for more ice traps than me, and let me tell you: Hold the faith, brother. I promise you, they're coming.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You will get your wish.

In the best way possible, too.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

btw the video is unlisted, I'm not sure if that's on purpose or not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

I can't believe it was all meaningless this whole time.

That ending, ouch

Also subtle thing, but the fact that the game takes control away from you when that fire wall spawns throws off the timing of the platforms almost enough where you are forced to take a hit. Rude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

clockwork chaos posted:

btw the video is unlisted, I'm not sure if that's on purpose or not.

Thanks, I forgot to set it to Public when I posted the links.