Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

datajugend posted:

yeah i missed that the first time, was still focused on the "im 22 AND A HALF"

Lol hey yo that half is pretty drat important.

Also hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

datajugend posted:

last time i saw something about a women only parking place it came with larger spots because "women are not as good at parking".

and unless the parking space is fenced off with a gate and some sort of security i dont see how a "here are all the women" parking spot is gonna help against unwanted attention

The marked spot is close to the building so women can reach it quickly rather than walking alone across a poorly lit parking lot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Blade Runner posted:

To be fair if you're angry enough to post about this dumb poo poo on the internet you're decently outraged

If he does something you don’t agree with, that allows you to decide his own mental state for him?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

If he does something you don’t agree with, that allows you to decide his own mental state for him?

Why are you so outraged at this??

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

Was this your friend of a friend?

That would have been a perfect character arc for him but I never spoke more than a few sentences to the guy who rented the building, if at all. My understanding was that my buddy went to high school with him, and after receiving his inheritance some kid they knew basically manipulated the inheritor into doing a bunch of stupid poo poo with the money, including the rental of the building. From the few times I saw him the manipulator seemed to hover around him nonstop and boss him around. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't actually got to visit the building. Which was basically a regular, modern designed office building that appeared to be nearly empty except for a gym on the top floor, some water coolers spaced around, and for some reason a guy with an editing bay in the basement with a really strung out twinky Asian guy who ran out the second we walked in.

And it was apparent that he had moved into the basement because we were there at like at like midnight on a Friday and the guy was just dicking around on the internet. Like I guess security must have come with the building rental because I can't imagine what the security guards thought was going on they were presumably there 24/7.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for Objecting to "Female Employee Only" Parking Spaces at My Workplace?

So theres not too much to say, I guess I'm more curious in others opinions on this. I am an approx 22.5 year old man, I recently snagged a really really good job. I work as a corporate level administrator in the trucking industry. It's been a pretty sweet gig so far and have no complaints as of yet (2 months in). I would also like to preface the following with saying that I work with a very diverse staff of coworkers who are all as professional as they can be, rarely is it that someone cant pull their own weight.

About a week ago I was walking through the parking lot to my car after the end of the day, and I was looking at the sunset through the chain link fence. As my eyes darted around i happened to notice a pink metal plate bolted onto the fence, I thought to myself "woah, what's that and how did i not notice it before?" So i started reading it and I was immediately greeted with slight disappointment. Basically, it read as follows "FEMALE EMPLOYEE PARKING SPACE ONLY!" with a large symbol in the middle of the sign which is also seen on women's public bathrooms.

Now, let me clarify I am not "Irate" or "fuming" about it, but I dont really buy into the whole chivalry, white knighting culture that the men of previous generations upheld fedora intensifies. I even asked my fiance when I got home, just to get a female insight on it. She said she thought it was stupid. I guess I'm just coming from the territory of you can show that your a diverse company dedicated to equality, without making tedious or unimportant decisions like special parking. Just my two cents on it though.

I think the important phrase in this is "Basically, it read as follows," and that it's actually...

Admiralty Flag posted:

I've seen "pregnant woman only" parking signs at both retail and corporate locations (IL, TX, CA, NC, at least, probably other states) but they're not too common. I sort of think this is someone getting outraged at the idea that :females: get any sort of accommodation but realizing that saying "pregnant women shouldn't get closer parking spots" doesn't have the best optics, so this is what he dials the truth to. But I could be totally off.

...something like this. It probably actually says "pregnant women and new mothers only" and he's exaggerating.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I don’t know why, but that Vegas one pisses me off.

“We’ve been married completely without incident for almost two decades, time to hire a lawyer and make sure everyone knows we’ve accidentally been polygamists lo these past fifteen years.”

It’s like reminding the teacher she forgot to collect homework. Just shut up, drat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Haifisch posted:

AZ/NV just found out my wife was married as a ‘joke’ in Vegas in 1997

lol epic prank

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for Objecting to "Female Employee Only" Parking Spaces at My Workplace?

So theres not too much to say, I guess I'm more curious in others opinions on this. I am an approx 22.5 year old man, I recently snagged a really really good job. I work as a corporate level administrator in the trucking industry. It's been a pretty sweet gig so far and have no complaints as of yet (2 months in). I would also like to preface the following with saying that I work with a very diverse staff of coworkers who are all as professional as they can be, rarely is it that someone cant pull their own weight.

About a week ago I was walking through the parking lot to my car after the end of the day, and I was looking at the sunset through the chain link fence. As my eyes darted around i happened to notice a pink metal plate bolted onto the fence, I thought to myself "woah, what's that and how did i not notice it before?" So i started reading it and I was immediately greeted with slight disappointment. Basically, it read as follows "FEMALE EMPLOYEE PARKING SPACE ONLY!" with a large symbol in the middle of the sign which is also seen on women's public bathrooms.

Now, let me clarify I am not "Irate" or "fuming" about it, but I dont really buy into the whole chivalry, white knighting culture that the men of previous generations upheld fedora intensifies. I even asked my fiance when I got home, just to get a female insight on it. She said she thought it was stupid. I guess I'm just coming from the territory of you can show that your a diverse company dedicated to equality, without making tedious or unimportant decisions like special parking. Just my two cents on it though.

yeah, why might women at your workplace need a shorter walk through the parking lot to their cars after work 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Depressio111117 posted:

I don’t know why, but that Vegas one pisses me off.

“We’ve been married completely without incident for almost two decades, time to hire a lawyer and make sure everyone knows we’ve accidentally been polygamists lo these past fifteen years.”

It’s like reminding the teacher she forgot to collect homework. Just shut up, drat.

The word is bigamy/bigamist

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Pivotal Lever posted:

Ah dammit I knew it wasn’t right and I said, “Nah, nah, that’s right. That’s the word.”

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Pivotal Lever posted:

I thought bigamist was when there was more fog out than usual.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

datajugend posted:

yeah i missed that the first time, was still focused on the "im 22 AND A HALF"

He's 270 months.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jobson groeth posted:

I thought bigamist was when there was more fog out than usual.

Not making fun of your stupid joke is pretty bigamy.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not making fun of your stupid joke is pretty bigamy.

I don't think his name's Amy

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Anyone else want to skip the obvious 'parking for preggos' interpretation and jump straight to 'roving bands of rapists wandering the parking lot' or do we have it out of our systems?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

tactlessbastard posted:

Anyone else want to skip the obvious 'parking for preggos' interpretation and jump straight to 'roving bands of rapists wandering the parking lot' or do we have it out of our systems?

all men are garbage so the second one is more likely

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

tactlessbastard posted:

Maybe it's to protect pregnant women from roving bands of rapists

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
A little late, but that Vegas affair story reminds me of how many of these stories have parents covering for their kid's affairs. ....Why?

My parents love me a ton, but if they found out I'd been cheating on my SO, they'd be first in line to kick my rear end over it.

It's one of those things that comes up a lot, like guys priding themselves on being "logical"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I had a chuckle at

jobson groeth posted:

Maybe it's to protect pregnant women from roving bands of rapists

and then

Miserable Maid posted:

A little late

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Miserable Maid posted:

My parents love me a ton, but if they found out I'd been cheating on my SO, they'd be first in line to kick my rear end over it.

Pretty sure my parents like my wife more then me, if I cheated on her I'm convinced they would disown me and adopt her.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Those signs are not just for pregnant women and new mothers. They are for pregnant women and new parents. If you are a dude and you are taking your newborn to the mall, you don't have to struggle to push your bulky stroller across an icy parking lot. You can use those spots if you are a man or a woman as long as you have a little baby in a stroller, or are pregnant.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jimbozig posted:

Those signs are not just for pregnant women and new mothers. They are for pregnant women and new parents. If you are a dude and you are taking your newborn to the mall, you don't have to struggle to push your bulky stroller across an icy parking lot. You can use those spots if you are a man or a woman as long as you have a little baby in a stroller, or are pregnant.

You can, but you will be judged and found wanting

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
You will have broken the chain and the covenant. You MUST be JUDGED.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah but... no.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I search for the pink women’s only signs to lay under the cars and cut their feet

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

I search for the pink women’s only signs to lay under the cars and cut their feet

See, the problem is that you're wasting time looking for them. It's much more efficient to just put them up yourself where you want them.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my friend I didn’t appreciate paying for a $200 meal at her husband’s birthday party?

My friend invited my husband and me to a 40th birthday party for her husband. The party was going to be at a fairly upscale restaurant with dancing afterwards. We’ve been working on some remodeling projects, so we’ve been on a strict budget. My husband and I wanted to attend the party without breaking the bank, so we decided to share an appetizer and entree and only have one drink apiece.

When we got to the party, we were ushered into a private party room. When we were seated, we were given preplanned menus with several options for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. I asked a passing waiter if I could order a la carte instead of getting the preplanned menu. The waiter indicated that the meal was being paid for by the hosts and because were were part of the party, we needed to order form the preplanned menu.

My friend is a bit wealthier than we are and has always been really generous about their parties, but I was blown away that they would host 15+ people at this restaurant.

As the meal was ending, the main server approached my friend’s husband with the check. My friend’s husband seemed to be a little upset, and said, “I know this isn’t how you normally do things but we are only paying for the wine. We told you that.” I suddenly started panicking inside. I was trying to catch someone else’s eye to see if they were panicking as much as I was. One other couple looked horrified, but everyone else seemed calm. I opened the check, and the total was $211. I thought I was going to throw up. I have never spent that much on a meal.

I held my poo poo together because I didn’t want to make a scene. The couple that looked horrified sidled over to us and we asked if they knew how much it was going to cost and that our friend wasn’t paying. They said they had asked waiter too, and he had indicated the hosts were paying.

I ended up messaging her and said, “Thanks so much for inviting us to ***’s party. We had a great time. Just a heads up for next time, we really need to know if going to a party is going to cost more than $100. We are on a really tight budget, so a heads up would be appreciated. Thanks again.”

My friend said, “Sorry! Should have given you a heads up. Glad you came.” And we haven’t spoken or hung out since. I’ve tried to set up coffee dates and girl’s nights but she just bails or never responds. It’s been almost 3 months, and she doesn’t seem to want to talk to me at all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for screaming (and swearing) at a kid at my school in a lesson?

Any translations for British words for Americans are made in brackets

Backstory:

I'm 14 and I have a disability in my leg which cases lots of pain in my legs and I need to be frequent surgeries so they can keep my disability under control. These surgeries aren't massive but leave me with lots of pain and a massive lack of mobility, meaning I can't to P.E. (gym) and I need a pair of crutches.

So there is a kid in my year (grade) who is a dick, I will call him James. So before class started everyone is talking in the sports hall and just messing around, however given the fact that I was on crutches at the time due to surgery I was unable to partake in P.E. so I just sat on a bench at the side with my crutches on the floor next to me. Anyway James comes along and the two second conversation goes like this:

James: Can I borrow your crutches?

Me: Why?

James: I wanna mess around on them.

Me: No.

James: Please!!!!

Me: No.

James: Okay thanks!

And James takes my crutches leaving me unable to really move (but I was sat down so it wasn't a missive issue). Anyway James is running around with my crutches and I am saying stuff like "give them back", by the way I am pretty introverted and I am pretty unpopular with only a small friend group, most of them are girls and my only guy friend is still getting changed for P.E. meaning there is no one to back me up.

So this goes on for about 30 seconds and I start to get pissed at him, so I stand up using my other leg which actually works and scream at him,

"GIVE ME BACK MY CRUTCH OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL DRIVE IT THROUGH YOUR loving STOMACH"

It was at this point a teacher came in and James turned white as a sheet. I turn around and look at the teacher and say calmly,

"He took my crutches"

My parents get called but they don't really care and James gets excluded, I get no punishment.

AITA for screaming at James and getting him excluded?

Edit: Exclusion is a suspension, you get kicked out of the school for a certain amount of time and you aren't allowed to leave the house.

Edit: Wow thanks for the support everyone! I have hopefully responded to all of your comments and just so you know I am working towards a better way of handling these situations without screaming at dickheads, thanks everyone!!!! :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I love that person's extremely low opinion of American vocabulary. We deserve it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tactlessbastard posted:

anyone else want to interpret

quote:

"FEMALE EMPLOYEE PARKING SPACE ONLY!" with a large symbol in the middle of the sign which is also seen on women's public bathrooms

as "EXPECTING AND NEW PARENT PARKING ONLY!" with a large stork in the middle of the sign which is also seen on pickle jars and birth announcements"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my friend I didn’t appreciate paying for a $200 meal at her husband’s birthday party?

My friend invited my husband and me to a 40th birthday party for her husband. The party was going to be at a fairly upscale restaurant with dancing afterwards. We’ve been working on some remodeling projects, so we’ve been on a strict budget. My husband and I wanted to attend the party without breaking the bank, so we decided to share an appetizer and entree and only have one drink apiece.

When we got to the party, we were ushered into a private party room. When we were seated, we were given preplanned menus with several options for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. I asked a passing waiter if I could order a la carte instead of getting the preplanned menu. The waiter indicated that the meal was being paid for by the hosts and because were were part of the party, we needed to order form the preplanned menu.

My friend is a bit wealthier than we are and has always been really generous about their parties, but I was blown away that they would host 15+ people at this restaurant.

As the meal was ending, the main server approached my friend’s husband with the check. My friend’s husband seemed to be a little upset, and said, “I know this isn’t how you normally do things but we are only paying for the wine. We told you that.” I suddenly started panicking inside. I was trying to catch someone else’s eye to see if they were panicking as much as I was. One other couple looked horrified, but everyone else seemed calm. I opened the check, and the total was $211. I thought I was going to throw up. I have never spent that much on a meal.

I held my poo poo together because I didn’t want to make a scene. The couple that looked horrified sidled over to us and we asked if they knew how much it was going to cost and that our friend wasn’t paying. They said they had asked waiter too, and he had indicated the hosts were paying.

I ended up messaging her and said, “Thanks so much for inviting us to ***’s party. We had a great time. Just a heads up for next time, we really need to know if going to a party is going to cost more than $100. We are on a really tight budget, so a heads up would be appreciated. Thanks again.”

My friend said, “Sorry! Should have given you a heads up. Glad you came.” And we haven’t spoken or hung out since. I’ve tried to set up coffee dates and girl’s nights but she just bails or never responds. It’s been almost 3 months, and she doesn’t seem to want to talk to me at all.

This is super trashy. You never invite anyone to an expensive place if you aren't going to pay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MarcusSA posted:

Lol hey yo that half is pretty drat important.

Also hilarious.

Soon he'll be 22 going on 23 !

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FAUXTON posted:

as "EXPECTING AND NEW PARENT PARKING ONLY!" with a large stork in the middle of the sign which is also seen on pickle jars and birth announcements"

Stop erasing my Child Free Hardcore lifestyle, sprogg breeder.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

kimbo305 posted:

I love that person's extremely low opinion of American vocabulary. We deserve it.
And the only word that actually needed a Brit-to-American translation was "exclusion", which they had to edit in later.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vinny Possum posted:

Stop erasing my Child Free Hardcore lifestyle, sprogg breeder.

lol at any dink who gives a poo poo about parking as close as possible, it just ends up with someone's kid slamming the door of a Durango into the side of your Audi.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Pick posted:

This is super trashy. You never invite anyone to an expensive place if you aren't going to pay.
Especially if you're making them order off your preplanned menus! If I'm dropping 100 bucks on my meal, it had better be what I want.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Tapas for all. Each dish shared between 14 people, better hope for a good seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tetramin posted:

Tapas for all. Each dish shared between 14 people, better hope for a good seat.

Paella paella paella