Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Karen got merc'd hard in that short.

Karen.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

NT does this too and I had to laugh.

Yeah I pretty much live posted that while watching.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

eVeN sO

NT felt like episode 1 of a new OVA that got aborted. The whole bit about closing the Newtype box because humanity isn't ready is a really tall order, even though we know they succeed. Like, F91, Victory, and G Reco exist. I have no idea how they're going to follow through on actually showing that. Actually, this movie felt a lot like Solo, in that the real meaty bit is in the stinger, and everything else is popcorn filler. It wasn't awful trash, but it's nothing to write home about, and certainly not going on any must-watch recommendation lists.

I did raise my eyebrow at Michelle's info dump in the middle though. That felt like it came out of nowhere. During the preview, the producer compared Newtype powers to The Force, and yeah, this movie definitely reinforces that. It is 100% The Force now.

For those who have read Hathaway's Flash, will that be answering any more of the question of how the Newtype genie gets put back in the bottle? Or can we assume that, given HF was written long before Unicorn was cooked up, that it won't be touching on that?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my showing hasn’t started yet. i’m sitting in the theater and it’s such a wonderful mix of the biggest weirdos in the county

i don’t think i’m the oldest person here, but i gotta be top 5

e: somebody just said Turn A sucked and IM GONNA START A FIIIIGGGGHHHTTTTTTT

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 20, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

One bit I liked about NT was that one guy who was there during Amuro's newtype magic at the end of CCA and was all about letting the newtypes try magic a solution.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azubah posted:

One bit I liked about NT was that one guy who was there during Amuro's newtype magic at the end of CCA and was all about letting the newtypes try magic a solution.

Yeah, I liked him. "poo poo it worked before. HEY NEWTYPE DO YOUR THING!"

TenementFunster posted:

my showing hasn’t started yet. i’m sitting in the theater and it’s such a wonderful mix of the biggest weirdos in the county

i don’t think i’m the oldest person here, but i gotta be top 5

e: somebody just said Turn A sucked and IM GONNA START A FIIIIGGGGHHHTTTTTTT

I was nowhere near the top five. I honestly think half the theater was 50+.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Turn A is only okay.

Sure you guys may try and fight me, but can your fists even reach me on top of this giant fence I'm sitting on?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There was a good amount of people in my theatre, they screwed up the pre-show stuff but the movie itself was showed on time.

NT was good and didn't feel as pretentious as Unicorn did at the end. Main guy cried a bit but we've seen how horrible the cyber newtype stuff was and seeing how they cyber newtype'd an actual newtype and he was tricked into allowing that to happen I give him a pass.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No Haros in NT, what the gently caress?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Raxivace posted:

Turn A is only okay.

Sure you guys may try and fight me, but can your fists even reach me on top of this giant fence I'm sitting on?

That's not even the hottest take I've heard this week. Saw a dude on discord saying that Age is good and everyone just parrots the idea that it's bad without watching it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Turn A is only okay.

That's what the giant stack of cows is for.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

Zebanya?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I liked that there was an actual Neo Zeong fight in NT. A welcome change compared to the "fight" in Unicorn.

Vord fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 20, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's probably not much exciting about showing the newtype poo poo getting shoved into a box. UC was just a string of intense conflicts in which humanity took advantage of whatever it had at hand to win. Less intense wars, less arms racing, etc. and you're going to get a lot less newtypes standing out by displaying battlefield prowess. I mean, even by the end of original Gundam you have Zeon's original newtype theory already tarnished. Amuro, Char, Sayla, and Lalah are all newtypes but nothing really gets solved between them. Newtypes aren't quite weaponized yet but the Elmeth is using newtype abilities to a unique degree. Everything else about newtypes is just recycled into spacenoid supremacy.

And then it just gets way, way worse in side stories and subsequent installments, where newtypes are taken more serious and exploited in worse and worse ways. Forget the next stage of human evolution, they're just useful war material. With less total war in later UC installments it's pretty easy for newtypes to not get the spotlight anymore. And presumably with less intensive stress from everything going to poo poo because of war, newtypes probably don't develop their abilities to the same degree as before.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Man, I mentioned it earlier but I just hated NT. I thought the miracle children weren't interesting characters, and the overall story might have worked if those three weren't at the center of it. Jonah was okay, but that stems a lot from him not trying to do much of anything.

There are big picture things that are intriguing at a glance, like trying to put the newtype stuff back in the box, but ultimately all of it fell flat in execution. Thought the villain was hilariously cliche, his whole "arc" was just a really bad joke.

Hathaway's Flash just has to be better than Unicorn and NT, and there was a time when I thought that would be a low bar for entries in this franchise to clear. Now I'm not so sure.

Gundam and Star Wars are extremely similar franchises.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Thought the villain was hilariously cliche, his whole "arc" was just a really bad joke.

I got the feeling that was the point. Also was there a hint of future Republic of Zeon shenanigans at the end or did I read to much into that?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Like I said, if it was a joke, it was a bad one, because they still end up having to go all out to beat him.

Had his time in the movie ended with the stuff in the colony, I'd have felt better about the whole thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vord posted:

I got the feeling that was the point. Also was there a hint of future Republic of Zeon shenanigans at the end or did I read to much into that?

I think you're right, and I'm not looking forward to Mineva and Banagher solving all the problems by flying the Unicorn around like they also seemed to imply.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

We're around 30ish years till F91. I'm curious what all will be crammed in to that time period.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Vord posted:

We're around 30ish years till F91. I'm curious what all will be crammed in to that time period.
There is still room for inexplicable things to happen, like "how does Amuro have a custom Unicorn model despite being very seriously dead by 0096?".

Or they'll actually go ahead and animate "The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow".

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

There is still room for inexplicable things to happen, like "how does Amuro have a custom Unicorn model despite being very seriously dead by 0096?".

Probably the same way Unicorn had A Char

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vord posted:

Probably the same way Unicorn had A Char

So, Amuro comes back into Anaheim Electronics wearing sunglasses and no sleeves?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
He came to be laughed at.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Shout out to those three people in the very front row of my NT screening that shouted "SIEG ZEON" when the movie started.

With that said, I am also equally confused that they were like "oh poo poo it's my boy Hathaway!" when the HF teaser aired, like HF's isn't just one long excuse to see this rear end in a top hat's poo poo pushed in

But in all, I do know that if I go the next life, I want to be a bird.

Jona: "Everyone I ever loved is dead."
Banagher: "EVEN SO"

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
My personal theory is that they'll eventually reach the point F91 happens and they'll pave right over it with more Zeon stuff.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Airspace posted:

My personal theory is that they'll eventually reach the point F91 happens and they'll pave right over it with more Mars Zeon stuff.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Azubah posted:

There was a good amount of people in my theatre, they screwed up the pre-show stuff but the movie itself was showed on time.
hell, same. pavilions?

e: gently caress i missed a teaser?!

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 20, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, there was actually a lot of stuff I liked. Michelle was a really good character. The Jesta team was great. There were a lot of Jestas. The action and music were good.

But there were two huge problems

First off, two of the three main characters were absolutely nothing. Rita was literally just a thing to be chased after. At first I thought her voice actor was doing a bad job, just breathy innocent perfection, but by the end I realized that year no there is literally nothing more to Rita. Trying to inject any kind of character into that voice would've been an incorrect interpretation of the character. Which leads into the next nothing character, Jona. Who is Jona? He is the guy who likes Rita. That's it, that's all you get. And since Rita isn't a person, that's not much.

The second problem is the entire construction of the movie. Pacing, editing, what they chose to keep in and leave out from the novel. How the flashbacks are placed throughout the movie is just a loving mess. The movie is about these three characters, but the history of them that motivates the entire plot is hacked to bits and randomly strewn throughout the entire running time of the movie. The final fight is interrupted by a flashback showing how the three necklaces got made. Which is important, that's an important metaphor, but by that point in the movie we've loving seen the necklaces so often that we've all basically pieced the concept together. The necklaces are part of a thing and they used to be together but now they're apart like the characters, we get it. So at that point the scene is just wasting time, explaining something we've already had to figure out for ourselves.
Why Jona calls Michelle a liar is super important! It's why there's tension between them, it should've been introduced way earlier, like before or shortly after they meet up again. They could hold off on why Michelle did what she did, that would be fine, but the fact of their split needed to be established way earlier to give their later relationship context. But instead it's just a big infodump, the longest flashback in the whole movie, explaining that they split up and why and it's almost two thirds of the way through the movie, way too late.
I haven't read the novel, but I can make assumptions on what they left out based on vestigial parts of plotlines leftover. Specifically, the movie has the end of two important relationship plotlines for Michelle. Her relationship with her sister and with her gay manservant. Those are clearly two really important relationships but we don't know about them until their resolution! Oh, her gay manservant is completely loyal to her. To an extent that surprises her. Ok? It's just kind of a floating fact, unattached to anything that could give it emotional resonance.
But the worst thing is her relationship with her sister. It's basically introduced literally at the same time that the conflict is resolved. I don't think they had any dialogue or shared any screentime at all before that. Maybe I'm wrong. I do remember her mentioning a sister beforehand, but I don't think the movie actually said that her sister was that blonde lady. Maybe it did, somewhere in the beginning when it was going super fast throwing characters and plot points and Unicorn tie-ins at me as fast as possible, but I don't remember it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AradoBalanga posted:

Or they'll actually go ahead and animate "The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow".

This would literally be Bright sitting in a room talking to people with a bunch of jump cuts to flashback sequences, so the production values could be super low and involve a lot of recycling old footage.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I do remember her mentioning a sister beforehand, but I don't think the movie actually said that her sister was that blonde lady. Maybe it did, somewhere in the beginning when it was going super fast throwing characters and plot points and Unicorn tie-ins at me as fast as possible, but I don't remember it.

I think she was the woman from Luio & Co from the Hong Kong arc in Zeta.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vord posted:

they even had her complain to the Titans guy about the psycho gundam loving up hong kong!

i feel bad for anyone who watched this without seeing most everything from UC timeline

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah, that was Stephanie Luio.

It makes that flashback scene to discussing the Psyco Gundam stuff make more sense since she was actually there

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Agreed. Was nice to actually see Zeta Gundam references. Seems like unless it's a Zeta sidestory Zeta gets a passing reference at most or just flat out ignored.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vord posted:

I haven't seen Zeta in years, I don't remember her being in there

TenementFunster posted:

i feel bad for anyone who watched this without seeing most everything from UC timeline

or without having seen everything from the UC timeline recently, apparently

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nope, I assumed her sister was just some executive assistant for Liuo's CEO (who I can't remember the name of and can't be arsed to look for). Like I said, I came away feeling like this is the result of an aborted OVA series, kinda like F91. Everything just gets shotgunned at you, to the point you can't actually anchor yourself to any of the main characters, thus making the cameo characters far more interesting by comparison.

Vord posted:

I liked that there was an actual Neo Zeong fight in NT. A welcome change compared to the "fight" in Unicorn.

This was nice. And they really opened the throttle on why this giant compensation armor is actually Bad News. I can say for certain I was NOT sold on Rita's :supaburn:"This is the most dangerous thing in the solar system!":supaburn: until they actually showed Zoltan (what the gently caress kind of B-movie sci-fi name is that?) using it to create miniature suns from He3.

Argas posted:

There's probably not much exciting about showing the newtype poo poo getting shoved into a box. UC was just a string of intense conflicts in which humanity took advantage of whatever it had at hand to win. Less intense wars, less arms racing, etc. and you're going to get a lot less newtypes standing out by displaying battlefield prowess. I mean, even by the end of original Gundam you have Zeon's original newtype theory already tarnished. Amuro, Char, Sayla, and Lalah are all newtypes but nothing really gets solved between them. Newtypes aren't quite weaponized yet but the Elmeth is using newtype abilities to a unique degree. Everything else about newtypes is just recycled into spacenoid supremacy.

And then it just gets way, way worse in side stories and subsequent installments, where newtypes are taken more serious and exploited in worse and worse ways. Forget the next stage of human evolution, they're just useful war material. With less total war in later UC installments it's pretty easy for newtypes to not get the spotlight anymore. And presumably with less intensive stress from everything going to poo poo because of war, newtypes probably don't develop their abilities to the same degree as before.

I disagree. Narrative exists to establish the lengths people will go to to get a slice of that Newtype pie. I don't recall actually seeing the Newtype Labs animated before. The underlying theme of the whole thing, for better or worse, is that now that people have the scent, and understand the possibility that Newtypes provide via their connection to the Force powers, the powers that be will be hell-bent on mastering it, and a lot of people will get thrown into the meat grinder in service to that cause. That's why Mineva and company need to actively work to suppress knowledge and use of Psychoframe technology and other Newtype research. The only option they have is to Brotherhood of Steel that poo poo until everyone stops trying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MechaX posted:

With that said, I am also equally confused that they were like "oh poo poo it's my boy Hathaway!" when the HF teaser aired, like HF's isn't just one long excuse to see this rear end in a top hat's poo poo pushed in

that's exactly why they were like that.

if you find Hathaway an entertaining character at all, it's because he's a giant piece of poo poo who gets loving owned, and HF turns the Hathaway-getting-owned up to 20.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vord posted:

Agreed. Was nice to actually see Zeta Gundam references. Seems like unless it's a Zeta sidestory Zeta gets a passing reference at most or just flat out ignored.
i let out a lil' woot when they had the flashback to Scirocco getting got

also somebody tell me what was in the HF teaser. i had too much cherry coke so i had to go to potty when the credits rolled, and forgot to go back in!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TenementFunster posted:

i let out a lil' woot when they had the flashback to Scirocco getting got

I hated that they actually used the old animation for that stuff. That made it feel like a super blatant attempt to hit viewer's nostalgia

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gripweed posted:

I hated that they actually used the old animation for that stuff. That made it feel like a super blatant attempt to hit viewer's nostalgia
well i'm a sucker, so i wooted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I too wooted and had way to much cherry coke. Ice is for suckers.