Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm left with the impression; "Vaguely interesting, but it doesn't matter."

Does this suddenly give us a purpose, a reason? Not really. Will it mean anything for the future, for us and others? No. Does it change everything, or anything? No. Does it change our situation for better or worse? Not really.

The thought of a broken person creating a broken 'hero' who doesn't care and barely matters is vaguely interesting.

....Maybe I'm being too depressed.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Bloodly posted:

The thought of a broken person creating a broken 'hero' who doesn't care and barely matters is vaguely interesting.

....Maybe I'm being too depressed.

I mean, it was pretty interesting when it was Thomas Covenant (though, not for the faint of heart).

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

EclecticTastes posted:

I mean, it was pretty interesting when it was Thomas Covenant (though, not for the faint of heart).

(Also most definitely not for the middle school library I first discovered it in, holy hell.)

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I can have some pretty strong tolerance for plot dumps sometimes but holy hell when they happen in this game my eyes glaze over and i just start scrolling down until I stop seeing paragraphs

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Boy, I’m sure glad to know Solaris 10's stupid backstory. I’d rather have Fern's backstory, so maybe we can have a reason why he is the embodiment of :shrek:. Or, you know, a reason other than Amethyst being awful at writing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m gonna guess he’s somehow the only one who retained his memory from the previous version of the world, and his torrent of lovely behavior is due to knowing that he had his big shot and blew it, so he sees you as stealing what should have been his glory.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Regalingualius posted:

I’m gonna guess he’s somehow the only one who retained his memory from the previous version of the world, and his torrent of lovely behavior is due to knowing that he had his big shot and blew it, so he sees you as stealing what should have been his glory.

And in a better written game that might have been deliberately and subtly hinted at and explored to give him a sense of pathos and tragedy.

Or you could make him a toxic poo poo who laughed at a suicide based on a real life tragedy.

:effort:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't think it's a matter of :effort:. I think this was the best she could do.
I think maybe her sensibilities and emotional maturity might be a few steps behind "Hey, maybe let's not use a person's real life suicide to get some sort of revenge on somebody you don't like. That's not cool even if you have a bunch of people who say it is"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

The Backstory of Reborn is that, in a previous timeline, Fern was the hero, but because he failed, Anna wished for a hero to replace him, that is Raven. Raven is a Jirachi Wish, and this wish turned Fern into a villain. Also all the restoration to the city would have happened without Raven, proving forever more how useless we are.

...this actually makes sense, somehow :psyduck:

Fern despises us beyond the limits of human reason because part of him senses that we replaced him and stole his glory and made him irrelevant.

Raven is treated as an inanimate object because she's not a human being and subconsciously everyone is aware of it. She has no agency or personality because she was created by a small child who doesn't understand those concepts. She can't directly affect the world because she's not a part of it.

I absolutely hate everything about this but it works. The stupidity and writing fails have managed to loop around to accidentally make plausible excuses for the stupidity and writing fails.

(I'm also irrationally annoyed that Looker looks nothing like Looker. Dude's been in more games than anyone, could they not have managed a sprite that was vaguely close or just used his overworld sprite from Platinum if they absolutely had to include him for whatever reason.)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

:hmmyes: Pokemon Reborn: A Screenshot

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Lyumia posted:

Uh, no that's me. It's based on a Daoko song...

Whoops

Ah, ok. So their head isn't that far up their rear end. That's... a relief? Relief isn't the right word, but it's the closest thing to correct I've got...

Crystal Ball lady posted:

Where other people are born with the ability to know things that happened in the past...

PFFFFFFFFTHAHAHAHAHahahahhaHAAAAAAAA.

Oh wow, some people are born with the mysterious, unknowable ability to remember things. Holy poo poo guys, this is a real gamechanger! Clearly, anyone who has this dread ability of remembering is someone worthy of according our respect. Like Amethyst! She remembers things that happened in her roleplay group, like Corey's suicide, Kiki's death, Luna's custody battle and stalker, etc...

But wait, we also can remember things that happened in the past! After all, we remember what happened in this game! Clearly, we're special.

This is easily the stupidest line in the update, but also the most reborn line. It's an line that says so little as to be basically nothing, but my god it takes so many words to say nothing. Also, her name is Miss Direction, and I'm not sure if it's a pun on mis-direction (and we should ignore everything she says) or if it's supposed to be 'mistress who gives you direction', but that's a small point.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Gridlocked posted:

:hmmyes: Pokemon Reborn: A Screenshot

Let's Play! > Oh, for gently caress's sake! WHY?!

or alternatively:

Let's Play! > Some people are born with the ability to know things that happened in the past...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Most of us have spent this entire thread failing to remember who most of these people are, to be fair. Remembering things in the Reborn universe is incredibly hard.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Imagine every second that passes you forget another moment in Reborn until you forget it ever existed. Truly this seer is blessed.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

...still in a dream, Beef Eater...

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Black Robe posted:

Most of us have spent this entire thread failing to remember who most of these people are, to be fair. Remembering things in the Reborn universe is incredibly hard.

OK, that's actually a fair point. So maybe we're not the chosen ones with the ability to know things that happened in the past, but we're trying.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I mean, I'm pretty sure that "most people know things from the past and present" thing was half a joke, and half a setup for why the clairvoyant herself remembers the future rather than the past (which, by the way, is a gimmick better executed elsewhere, up to and including the stories of King Arthur, where Merlin lived his life backwards).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Memento effect is kind of a know trope, and the main reason it doesn't work here is because she immediately starts going on about things that happened in Reborn's past. Unless the Ferntagonist story somehow is going to take place after these events, I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Memento effect is kind of a know trope, and the main reason it doesn't work here is because she immediately starts going on about things that happened in Reborn's past. Unless the Ferntagonist story somehow is going to take place after these events, I guess.

Or Reborn has the circular time of Super Robot Wars and the seer is seeing a 12000 years ago during the previous incarnation of reborn.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Man am I so thankful for this thread. Otherwise, that prophecy would still just be a jumble of words to me. I've tried to reread it before to get some idea of what Amethyst is trying to write but it's just so many words and I just can't with it.

And the Beldum quest is just stupid. As OFS says, there's no way outside of second hand knowledge or dredging through the game's data to know it even exists, let alone how to actually fulfill the requirements. And of course, that's the only way to get Beldum, and by extension, Metagross.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Come to think of it, it wasn’t until after the Pulse Tangrowth incident that Fern started becoming the raging douchebag we all know and loathe, right? If he did somehow know about the whole “we hosed up so badly that we had to reset time” plot point, that would have been the point where there was incontrovertible proof that he was no longer the hero. Up until then, he’d probably been under the impression that the change was that you were a replacement for one of his wingmen.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I don’t know what’s more insane, the sheer levels of logic defying bullshit one has to do in order to get Beldum (to the point where the game jokes about it), the fact that Ame actually let the player access to any of the pesudolegendary lines at all, or the implication that Fern would be the great hero of Reborn if we didn’t exist

Oh wait, it’s the fact that OFS managed to get Beldum before finding the fish to begin with, considering how in almost every Pokemon game you can’t get access to Beldum until postgame whereas Magikarp only ever got the same treatment once (in BW1 due to nothing from outside of Unova being available until postgame, and even then it’s pretty likely you’ll get it as your first non-Unova native Pokemon)

If this is the sheer amount of convoluted bullshit OFS had to do just for Beldum, what the hell will it take to get Larvitar or Gible?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Probably worth noting that unless they tweaked it up for Reborn (doubtful), Beldum has the lowest possible catch rate so merely being able to encounter it is not usually the majority of the struggle involved in actually catching the drat thing, especially since its only move causes it to damage itself.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Omnicrom posted:

Or Reborn has the circular time of Super Robot Wars and the seer is seeing a 12000 years ago during the previous incarnation of reborn.

Ah, that would be the incarnation where Fern teamed up with the Overdevil to battle the Shadow Angels in order to save Reborn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fan srw with reborn levels of angst and equivalent quality animation would be amazing.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

rannum posted:

This got me to track down more info so thanks for that, I'd always taken 1 stat = 4 EVs for granted

That makes more sense.

So I guess they would scale differently past 100 then, yeah? Yeesh.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then if they go down to even 3-per-point then we're hosed because the 252 cap is hard-coded, but 255 would give an 85th point.

Or I'd have to redo everything's EV spreads when they hit that threshold.

With the regular Pokemon stat formula, above level 100, your stats still only increase per 4 EVs, you just get more stats for every 4 EVs depending on your level/amount of EVs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

goatface posted:

Fan srw with reborn levels of angst and equivalent quality animation would be amazing.

The thing is, with SRW, that kind of mood may genuinely work. There are robot series that are gritty, dark and depressing, where people constantly die and things usually go wrong. And there are SRWs where the protagonist's importance in the story is heavily questionable (see: L).

You'd still need a better writer, sure, but you could theoretically pull what Amethyst tried and failed to do here in SRW without feeling too out of place (you'd probably need to inject some hot blood for the true SRW feeling but a fangame could ignore that). You can't do this with Pokemon. No matter how good you are, Pokemon simply does not fit this "maturity".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it needs some really, really shonky combat animations to go with it. The kind of stuff that makes you long for 1970's 6-fps-all-keyframes style moves. Something that is both over-complicated and under-implemented to enjoy during the battles.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Yeah, but it needs some really, really shonky combat animations to go with it. The kind of stuff that makes you long for 1970's 6-fps-all-keyframes style moves. Something that is both over-complicated and under-implemented to enjoy during the battles.

So like Godmars then?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Can we please stop with the black and red themed shinies already?
There are so many better color combos out there.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don’t know what’s more insane, the sheer levels of logic defying bullshit one has to do in order to get Beldum (to the point where the game jokes about it

Am I the only one who thought that was Terra still stuck in the computer? It seemed like her style of "humor".

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It you seriously wanted to do, hero fails and gets replaced via wish and ends up as a villain maybe you shouldn't have be such an rear end in a top hat from the very start.

Maybe write him off with good intentions to help whose constantly shown up by the PC
, although thuswould require the game to actually recognize your actions) until they get so obsessed with beating or proving themselves that they try a bullshit scheme of joining the enemy and ending up failing and having no option but to continue. This is lovely fiction written yet it would probably make more sense and maybe actually foreshadow this dumb rear end poo poo instead of pulling it out of nowhere.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alacron posted:

So like Godmars then?

Yes, but with fan-coloured sprite work.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

But the edge!!!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Dalris Othaine posted:

Am I the only one who thought that was Terra still stuck in the computer? It seemed like her style of "humor".

No, I thought exactly the same thing.

I guess it's good to have a reminder that all the things that make Terra terrible aren't only the fault of Terra's player, but also Amethyst writing her. This is what Amethyst thinks humour is.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Are we getting setup for some sort of moral ambiguity where the game tells us it's impossible to tell who is good and who is bad actually

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Trick question, everyone deserves to die.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

It you seriously wanted to do, hero fails and gets replaced via wish and ends up as a villain maybe you shouldn't have be such an rear end in a top hat from the very start.

Maybe write him off with good intentions to help whose constantly shown up by the PC
, although thuswould require the game to actually recognize your actions) until they get so obsessed with beating or proving themselves that they try a bullshit scheme of joining the enemy and ending up failing and having no option but to continue. This is lovely fiction written yet it would probably make more sense and maybe actually foreshadow this dumb rear end poo poo instead of pulling it out of nowhere.

See, I was giving the whole “we hosed up so badly that we had to reset everything” plot point some thought today as well, and thought up a really rough outline for a plot.

Take a fantasy story where the protagonist thinks they’re king poo poo, the chosen one, etc., only to get upstaged by some “idealized” hero who has all of the superficial traits of perfect heroism, but the effective personality of a brick outside of that. Have them get more and more jealous as the “true hero” continues getting lavished with praise for beating back the forces of the BBEG of the setting, until they finally snap and lay into the “hero” for having nothing outside of that barebones personality.

The “hero” goes catatonic as they realize that the protagonist is right about them, and ultimately winds up raging against the divine beings that created them until they wreck their place of worship... and with it, their means of resetting again. And then the protag finds out that they really were the “hero”, but their string of screw-ups in the last go around were so bad that the gods decided that an entirely new hero would be a better chance. Now the protagonist has to face off against the villain with the knowledge that not only have they already failed against them at least once, but their latest gently caress-up means that this is almost certainly their last chance to triumph.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 21, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

When I played DC Universe Online, like...ninety percent of the other players in the game had some variant of a red/black color scheme.

Meanwhile I'm running around looking slick as hell in my white and purple gear. Aw yeah. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Red Metal posted:

With the regular Pokemon stat formula, above level 100, your stats still only increase per 4 EVs, you just get more stats for every 4 EVs depending on your level/amount of EVs.

Sounds awful, kinda like the system was designed around level 100.