Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The mainstream centro-leftist intellectual might suppose that this is high level posting in the Worst Thread,

Viva Chile, Viva el Pueblo, Vivan los Trabajadores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_9FEx7ymg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I like to imagine Toto knew Paddy wasn’t the real deal and let him go to Williams in trade for Buttass or something

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Real talk this is the best communism song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSKpUAhOFw

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

TIL: there is a “best communism song”

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uh hello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Found a twitter for Wirth

https://twitter.com/iceman7news/status/1097861576978239489?s=19

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Val Kilmer was the cooler Iceman anyway

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

drat came here to post this

For Wirth

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BubbaGrace posted:

Val Kilmer was the cooler Iceman anyway

Chuck Lidell, y'all :colbert:

But Kilmer is a close second.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

This showed up in my Facebook feed, so sharing you with lot for reasons.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Vettel says the new wings are ugly, Hulk says they're like parachutes... Everyone is moaning already I loving love F1

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

drat came here to post this

For Wirth

Wow that is loving epic, very cool op

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Vettel says the new wings are ugly, Hulk says they're like parachutes... Everyone is moaning already I loving love F1

The new wings rock, because the cars look cleaner instead of incomprehensible wind tunnel orgasms.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

track day bro! posted:

Wow that is loving epic, very cool op

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4mf35D7K_8

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tuo posted:

The new wings rock, because the cars look cleaner instead of incomprehensible wind tunnel orgasms.

I don’t like ‘em. Too wide.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Plus the best looking cars of the post-‘97 era were the 2006-2008 ones and 2017.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Frond posted:

I don’t like ‘em. Too wide.

Okay, we could argue about that, I can see your point. I'm just happy they are back to a more simple design. Then again, I'm afraid they didn't achieve with them what the FIA wanted to.

The Y250 vortex seems to be generated as before (I always was of the assumption that the new wings weren't allowed to end like at at the Y250 area, and needed to have another horizontal plane to exactly prevent them from beeing a VG), and teams seem to have figured out enough ways to still create the outwash around the front tyres they need. There are rumors that the increase in width for the front wing was exactly the thing the teams needed to recreate the outwash with the new rules in regard to wing elements and endplate. So the FIA might have shot itself in the foot there (in regard to decoupling the front wing from diffusor efficiency, and thus making it easier to drive in dirty air)

Melbourne can't come soon enough, imo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Frond posted:

Plus the best looking cars of the post-‘97 era were the 2006-2008 ones and 2017.

Delete this poo poo!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like when f1 cars had obscenely large tires. they should bring that back for more mechanical grip

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I wonder how long it'll be before other teams have a ferrari-style front wing

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I like when f1 cars had obscenely large tires. they should bring that back for more mechanical grip

They did that already.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ilmucche posted:

:hellyeah:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bring back this

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I never understood the idea behind the 6 wheeled car.

Ok, I never bothered to read up on the reason why they made a 6 wheel car.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

freeranger posted:

Cut down on aero drag while increasing the overall tire contact patch for better turning power. The weight and complexity of the system really hampered it and the regs were changed to ban it pretty much as soon as possible. It wasn’t doa, but the team didn’t have the political power to keep it allowed until they could perfect it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

tuo posted:

Bring back this

The p34 was great. Look how big those rear tyres look. Bring back crazy poo poo like 4 wheel steering

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

freeranger posted:

The idea was to reduce drag due to the smaller front wheels. To still have similar grip, they added two more wheels. The problem, IIRC, was, that they needed (obviously) special tyres for the front, and the manufacturer didn't invest much on developing them further. The car overall was quite okay, though.

The 6 wheeled car with four rear wheels was a different matter, of course, and also IIRC that one was banned after couple of races, wasn't it?

e: just checked, it was a Williams and was banned even before it could race

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

tuo posted:

The idea was to reduce drag due to the smaller front wheels. To still have similar grip, they added two more wheels. The problem, IIRC, was, that they needed (obviously) special tyres for the front, and the manufacturer didn't invest much on developing them further. The car overall was quite okay, though.

The 6 wheeled car with four rear wheels was a different matter, of course, and also IIRC that one was banned after couple of races, wasn't it?

e: just checked, it was a Williams and was banned even before it could race

iirc they also forgot that the wheels at the back create just as much drag so the whole system was mostly pointless from an aero perspective

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

iirc they also forgot that the wheels at the back create just as much drag so the whole system was mostly pointless from an aero perspective

Solution: 8 wheeled cars

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Solution: 8 wheeled cars

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm quite sure that thing also transforms into a robot

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks for the info guys, that was pretty cool to learn :)

I do remember in the late 80's/early 90's one or more teams were looking or implemented (cannot remember exactly) a 5 wheeled car. With the 5th being in the middle or similar that would only touch the tarmac during a corner.

Love that kind of crazy poo poo.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
2 hours into day 3 testing and mclaren have yet to go out

mclaren...poo poo????

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah, but what about williams?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

freeranger posted:

Thanks for the info guys, that was pretty cool to learn :)

I do remember in the late 80's/early 90's one or more teams were looking or implemented (cannot remember exactly) a 5 wheeled car. With the 5th being in the middle or similar that would only touch the tarmac during a corner.

Love that kind of crazy poo poo.

One of the peak F1 moments for me was the cars with massive fans on them which sucked the air from under the car to get the ground effect to absolutely ridicilous levels. They were banned within a couple of races. IIRC, it was the same time as when teams had to weld the cylinder head to the engine block for qualyfing because the screws couldn't stand the pressure from the turbo engines during qualifying, pushing some 1500+ horsepowers.

Fan car:

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 20, 2019

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Williams are expected out in the afternoon.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

freeranger posted:

Williams are expected out in the afternoon.

Out of F1? Nice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tuo posted:

One of the peak F1 moments for me was the cars with massive fans on them which sucked the air from under the car to get the ground effect to absolutely ridicilous levels. They were banned within a couple of races. IIRC, it was the same time as when teams had to weld the cylinder head to the engine block for qualyfing because the screws couldn't stand the pressure from the turbo engines during qualifying, pushing some 1500+ horsepowers.

Fan car:

The Brabham fan car was for 1978, when everyone was still laughing about Renault’s turbo engine and calling it “the teapot.”

Turbo engines breaking dynos, engine companies letting the cylinder blocks rust behind the factory to help harden them up, grenade qualifying engines good for two laps, using rocket fuel spiked with something hazardous...that all came in the 1980s. (And I think that alone all came from BMW?)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

harperdc posted:

The Brabham fan car was for 1978, when everyone was still laughing about Renault’s turbo engine and calling it “the teapot.”

Turbo engines breaking dynos, engine companies letting the cylinder blocks rust behind the factory to help harden them up, grenade qualifying engines good for two laps, using rocket fuel spiked with something hazardous...that all came in the 1980s. (And I think that alone all came from BMW?)

I stand corrected :) Thank you :) (and yes, the article I red in regard to welding the engines shut was from BMW)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rhopunzel posted:

2 hours into day 3 testing and mclaren have yet to go out

mclaren...poo poo????
No. Once again they're just sabotaging their Spanish driver to favour of their British rookie.