Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really like how the 60-70 DoH quests don't make you buy stuff (because I'm running really low on cash; only have like 50k, though I have maybe 100k in Allagan token things).

Finally finished Kojin rank 8 today and got my manta ray. And finished Namazu a day or two ago. Now the only beast tribe I haven't finished from Heavensward and Stormblood are the loving Vanu. Going to be so happy when I'm done with them. About 1/3 of the way to Rank 8 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ytlaya posted:

I really like how the 60-70 DoH quests don't make you buy stuff (because I'm running really low on cash; only have like 50k, though I have maybe 100k in Allagan token things).

HW DOH quests were super bad for this so it's a very welcome change.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's the best time to use the Commercial Survival Manuals I got for reaching 51 on Miner, when leveling a gatherer?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Whenever you're planning on doing a ton of gathering. If they're the percentage ones then you can save them for later but if they're the fixed amount of bonus XP ones then use them as soon as possible.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the best time to use the Commercial Survival Manuals I got for reaching 51 on Miner, when leveling a gatherer?

Use it when you do leves or whem you gather your collectables.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

Whenever you're planning on doing a ton of gathering. If they're the percentage ones then you can save them for later but if they're the fixed amount of bonus XP ones then use them as soon as possible.
Okay, good to know. Thank you.

Also, crafter and gatherer glams! These are my two gatherer outfits:

And this is the crafting outfit I was thinking of using, but I don't have any crafting classes started yet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

Finally finished Kojin rank 8 today and got my manta ray. And finished Namazu a day or two ago. Now the only beast tribe I haven't finished from Heavensward and Stormblood are the loving Vanu. Going to be so happy when I'm done with them. About 1/3 of the way to Rank 8 now.

lmk when you'll be on this week, i'll either wrangle you for maps or something else that rakes in the dough

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phone posted:

lmk when you'll be on this week, i'll either wrangle you for maps or something else that rakes in the dough

I haven't done maps in two weeks ping me if/when you run this weekend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Wait, buying a story skip doesn’t give you a leveled job? That’s kinda crazy, how does that even work? Do you start as a level 1 in Ishgard? If you don’t even get all that sweet sweet msq exp I don’t even see how that’d be faster then skipping cutscenes.

I believe you get access to Red Mage and Samurai immediately, so congrats if you wanted to main those. :v:

Of course, if you decided to skip to Stormblood, then you're SOL.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i’m only just now doing savage content so this has probably already been talked about in the past but

it’s really weird to me that if you try to do savage out of order it locks you out of previous loot for the week. like if my pals ran o9s and o10s, and then i logged on and was invited to join them for o11s, i can’t get drops from the previous two anymore even though i haven’t run them yet

it doesn’t matter if i’ve already beaten them both in a previous week, no skipping allowed :thunk:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Maps are fun for the same reason slot machines are fun

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Control Volume posted:

Maps are fun for the same reason slot machines are fun

i too shout "rainbows rainbow rainbows!" at slot machines

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
whenever I’m in Vegas I’m like red ranger pose A when I’m at the slots

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I JUST NEED TO GET THE loving WHALE JUST ONCE OKAY I NEED IT

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got my Demi-Ozma!!! awwww yeah

If they can come up with better ways for groups to pre-form and then get in the right instance I dare I say I'll call BA good content all around.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Can someone come up with a plausible thought process that led to them putting the capstone light farming step for the final Eureka weapon in part 3 out of 4 of the content?

Like, I understand that Eureka hates its players and wants them to die, but you'd think that either the devs would want the max leveled players to spend all their time in the current content (in which case they'd put the light farming in Hydatos), OR they'd want them to go back to Anemos (in which case they'd put the light farming there), OR they'd want them to be evenly spread throughout the content (in which case they'd unify all the light and make Anemos and Pagos NMs give bonus light to make up for their lower XP totals). I know, I know, that last solution sounds far too healthy for the player base so there's no way they'd do that, but then you'd think they'd do one of the other two things. I just don't understand what series of decisions lead you to Pyros as the natural place for it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Reminder: light farming means optimal pyros level is 49 for light farming :V

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm either at 10 or 12 light into my Pyros Bow now and it's only at ~320 skill points now. Sigh. I'd like to go back to Hydatos to atleast try BA sometime, but my OCD is kicking in bad. This is why I really need to watch myself when I start relic grinding, especially when Eureka is involved. :smith:

At least it's not Pagos. I've been doing plenty of bunny hunting today as well, but all I got were bronze chests with a few scattered silvers. The game really hates playing nice with gold chests.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I decided to change from being a catgirl to a midlady on a whim.

Pro tip: If you're gonna have the nvidia overlay on, you should probably use that to take screenshots instead of assuming the in-game screenshots wouldn't grab said overlay.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
highlander is the better hyur subrace :colbert:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Now, I was leaning highlander. But then I saw this hairstyle and it sparked joy. I think Konmari would approve of my decision.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that hairstyle midlander only?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Weirdly enough, yes. A curly mohawk with braided rows on the sides seems way more fitting for highlanders or a roe imo, but as far as I can see, only midlanders get it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Weirdly enough, yes. A curly mohawk with braided rows on the sides seems way more fitting for highlanders or a roe imo, but as far as I can see, only midlanders get it.

This one is better tbqh

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Good choice. It's a great hair and one of the few I'm jealous roes don't get.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

What's the level 68 MCH quest name??

Snouts Down,Tail's Up

Thanks Koji

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kaubocks posted:

i’m only just now doing savage content so this has probably already been talked about in the past but

it’s really weird to me that if you try to do savage out of order it locks you out of previous loot for the week. like if my pals ran o9s and o10s, and then i logged on and was invited to join them for o11s, i can’t get drops from the previous two anymore even though i haven’t run them yet

it doesn’t matter if i’ve already beaten them both in a previous week, no skipping allowed :thunk:

Yeah, it's weird. And even if you don't care about the earlier stuff it still prevents you from just skipping directly to O12S from what I recall (unless someone has has cleared O9S-O11S ferries you in), so you get to enjoy Middy every single week! Forever! Even when you no longer need anything from him.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

jalapeno_dude posted:

Can someone come up with a plausible thought process that led to them putting the capstone light farming step for the final Eureka weapon in part 3 out of 4 of the content?

Like, I understand that Eureka hates its players and wants them to die, but you'd think that either the devs would want the max leveled players to spend all their time in the current content (in which case they'd put the light farming in Hydatos), OR they'd want them to go back to Anemos (in which case they'd put the light farming there), OR they'd want them to be evenly spread throughout the content (in which case they'd unify all the light and make Anemos and Pagos NMs give bonus light to make up for their lower XP totals). I know, I know, that last solution sounds far too healthy for the player base so there's no way they'd do that, but then you'd think they'd do one of the other two things. I just don't understand what series of decisions lead you to Pyros as the natural place for it.

I don't know, but I spent a few hours trying to get the Skill Speed off my weapon and remembered that I hate Pyros' map and will just deal with what I have. Holy poo poo the run to Penny is so mean. There are like 6 different types of enemies that will aggro and eat you no matter which direction you choose to take. It's like right under the final quest in Pagos. Even at max level that northeastern part of the map is swift death.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Last time I played I got to about the early quests of Heavensward. If I wanted to start playing as a Bard, and I have no levels in Archer, how long would it take me to level up Bard enough to continue doing Heavensward content?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Last time I played I got to about the early quests of Heavensward. If I wanted to start playing as a Bard, and I have no levels in Archer, how long would it take me to level up Bard enough to continue doing Heavensward content?

With a reasonable amount of face grinding I'd estimate about 12-16 hours of actual play time. So about a week if you're dedicating two hours a day.

I decided to level everything to 50 and 30-50 has been taking me about 8 hours per class for example. Please send help.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Unhappy Meal posted:

With a reasonable amount of face grinding I'd estimate about 12-16 hours of actual play time. So about a week if you're dedicating two hours a day.

I decided to level everything to 50 and 30-50 has been taking me about 8 hours per class for example. Please send help.

I'm working on everything to 70, and I'd tell you it gets better, I'm not sure if it does. 50-70 gives you ADR, MSQDR and Trials Roulette as XP sources, which is a nice stable sources of daily xp that will get you a level or two a day. But it definitely starts to get a little mind numbing.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Beast tribe dailies in HW combined with the clan hunt logs is roughly a level per day as well and can be done while queuing for roulettes , same goes for the SB equivalents.
Sadly ARR beast tribes is poor exp and the ARR daily hunts are completely useless.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rival Wings gives you 1/8th of a level for a win and you get two mounts for getting 100 wins...

In unrelated news, hit level 67 on BLM.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
30 to 50 is definitely the worst stretch of leveling. However, just IME, that's also where you run into the most new players and where I've had them be most receptive to advice, so you can get a bit of mentoring on if you're so inclined. I've had so many "please trust me just go get your job stone and never take it off" conversations in brayflox.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of new players, I got Titan HM in my Trials Roulette the other day, in which many players got knocked off or died, we had LB3 ready, a healer up, with us all calling out to them to LB, only to watch the healer jump off the edge in fright/resignation. Turns out they didn't have LB on their bars.

Right after LDR gave me Titan Normal. Newbie DPS go knocked off. Second dps...ran off on their own? Like I'm not sure what happened, I don't think they were trying to dodge anything, they were just playing a bard and I guess they were just too busy running and jumping around like a clown that they went off?

I suppose this is to make up for the streak of Titan HMs I've had where nothing went wrong.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there good, up to date sites or resources for leveling up alt jobs? Whenever I look online I see articles from years ago and I don’t know if there’s been more efficient/better ways to level since.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How to level up fast:
- Roulettes
- Command Squad runs
- Doing the Challenge Log
- Running the highest level dungeon you have open to you
- Spending $20 on the skip potion

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there good, up to date sites or resources for leveling up alt jobs? Whenever I look online I see articles from years ago and I don’t know if there’s been more efficient/better ways to level since.

I'm not aware of any good resources; there's not really any secrets or special strategies. The overall method is 'chip away at it with roulettes and challenge log"

1-16? I forgot what level you can start doing LDR at, but basically do whatever you can, namely hunt log, maybe fates, then leves if you're desperate. Think you can do guild hests? (Not great xp, but there's daily & challenge log bonuses.)

16-50: Daily: Levelling Dungeon Roulette, Grind options: Highest available dungeon (better if healer or tank for quick queues) or Squadron Dungeons, which are the same idea, but with dumb AI that has kinda op stats and a smaller selection of dungeons. Palace of the Dead 51-60 is an option for any role, but can get a bit repetitive.

50-60: Use poetics to grab a set of 120 ilvl gear in Mor Dohna. (You can then upgrade it to 130 with more poetics) Daily: Alliance Duty Roulette, Trial Roulette, Main Story Duty Roulette (boring and long, but decent xp if you have time to burn), LDR, HW Hunts (Picked up in Ishgarde) and the HW Beast Tribes. Grind Options: Same as above.

60-70: Use poetics to grab a set of 260 gear in Idllyshire. (You can upgrade it to 270 with more poetics.) Daily: Same as above, replacing HW Hunts & Beast Tribes with SB ones. Grind: Same as above, Heaven on High replaces POTD at 61. (Sidenote: You can cheese the ADR queue to give you the easier 50 dungeons by unequipping a bunch of your gear so you have an average ilvl that falls below the reqs of the HW alliance raids. You can re-equip the gear after queuing.)

From 1-60 you'll want to do your job quests ASAP to unlock skills, unless you're never leaving PotD. 62-68 just gives you skills on level up so you can put job quests off, but you will need to finish them to get the 70 skill.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Sidenote: You can cheese the ADR queue to give you the easier 50 dungeons by unequipping a bunch of your gear so you have an average ilvl that falls below the reqs of the HW alliance raids. You can re-equip the gear after queuing.)

Only do this if you dislike fun and wants anyone who ends up in same ADR que as you to be bored out of their minds running LotA for the millionth time(which often isn't any faster due to trolling/afking/stupidity). Its a real dumb exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SonicRulez posted:

There are like 6 different types of enemies that will aggro and eat you no matter which direction you choose to take. It's like right under the final quest in Pagos. Even at max level that northeastern part of the map is swift death.

Instead of trying to sneak through the Wall of a Million Elephant Men, take the passage to the east a little bit south of them. You have to walk past the sound-sensor wood golems and bees either way and the eastern path has a dragon, but after that it's just a couple of treants (easy to sneak past) and a straight shot to Penny's little moth-infested pathway (also easy to sneak through).