Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
raikkonen fastest with the c5 tyres. that engine can go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Ferrari popping up his back under braking is awesome to look at. However they managed to achieve that rear suspension (which Red Bull tries to do since years), they deserve the performance it gives them.

It nearly looks like a toy when they step on the brake and car goes up. Good job Ferrari.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

raikkonen fastest with the c5 tyres. that engine can go

Back to the drawing board

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Where is the loving Williams?

Paddy Lowe perfect example for Peter Principle?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuo posted:

Where is the loving Williams?

Paddy Lowe perfect example for Peter Principle?

It might run this afternoon

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 20, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WILLIAMS ON TRACK

But for how long?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQXOal_3bw

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Williams has aero suspension. Will it fly away from the track?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

i don't think it can go fast enough for take off

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Looks way better here, still the worst livery by far.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Williams is the only car that commentators won't use as an example of generating enough downforce to drive upside-down

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's got a 80/90s backmarker livery vibe and I dig it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The williams wont run anymore today. More pieces coming from England at the moment.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

The williams wont run anymore today. More pieces coming from England at the moment.

I hope one of the parts is a new frontwing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

From Autosport's live updates:

quote:

Ah, long runs. A sure fire sign that a team's testing plan is progressing well. We currently have Raikkonen lapping in the 1m25s (C2), Vettel in the 1m24s (C3), Sainz in the 1m25s (C2), Ricciardo in the 1m23s (C2) and Hamilton in the 1m23s (C2).

I love these times, I'm pretty sure all five of these teams are running wildly different programs. The Ferrari must be overflowing with fuel.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

tuo posted:

I hope one of the parts is a new frontwing car management

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Kimoa Kid posted:

From Autosport's live updates:

I love these times, I'm pretty sure all five of these teams are running wildly different programs. The Ferrari must be overflowing with fuel.

It's certainly overflowing with something.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Powershift posted:

It's certainly overflowing with something.

#essereFerrari

(I can't not read that as "bessere Ferrari", which in german means "better Ferraris").

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Williams chickened out of the PR meeting were Lowe should have been present, moving it to end of next week.

People Williams should fire (in order):

1) Technical Director
2) Media/Livery department
3) the rest

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tuo posted:

Williams chickened out of the PR meeting were Lowe should have been present, moving it to end of next week.

People Williams should fire (in order):

1) Technical Director
2) Media/Livery department
3) the rest

0) Frank

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Fire the management, burn the portrait of the witch and turn williams into a co op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Frank must walk.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Frank doesn't know what a newspaper costs nowadays, I fail to believe that he is still in control of anything. There are the obvious health problems, but also the fact that he can hardly travel nowadays. I cannot imagine he still negotiates contracts and stuff. He's there as the leading figure, and even that gets harder with each year, seeing his health decline.

Having watched the Williams documentary, which makes it pretty clear that the Williams family is basically "everyone against everyone", I still believe the best thing for Williams F1 would be if someone buys the team, removes the whole Williams family from it/buys the company from it, and restarts the operation, maintaining the name. Similar to what Sauber had to go through in recent years, which weren't always nice, but seem to have worked out.

I can only guess that maybe Stroll tried to buy his way into Williams, but realized it's still kinda a family business, and searched for other opportunities. Pure speculation, though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The one BBC article I read said Frank is overseeing development back at the factory while Claire runs day-to-day operations. I'm not sure how you can fairly judge anyone at the team while an out-of-touch old man still has any authority whatsoever. Unfortunately he still owns 51% of the team.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The one BBC article I read said Frank is overseeing development back at the factory while Claire runs day-to-day operations. I'm not sure how you can fairly judge anyone at the team while an out-of-touch old man still has any authority whatsoever. Unfortunately he still owns 51% of the team.

I read that as well and it has to be a loving typo cause it’s well known that Frank knows gently caress all about engineering and manufacturing and even in the 80s kept his nose out of that poo poo. If that’s true the team legit should just fold cause it’d be loving insane.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Frank must walk.

Roll him to the curb

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidpoocati posted:

I read that as well and it has to be a loving typo cause it’s well known that Frank knows gently caress all about engineering and manufacturing and even in the 80s kept his nose out of that poo poo. If that’s true the team legit should just fold cause it’d be loving insane.

Paddy Lowe at Williams in the 80s/90s: great cars
Paddy Lowe at McLaren: great cars
Paddy Lowe at Mercedes: great cars
Paddy Lowe at Williams today: abject failure

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Paddy Lowe at Williams in the 80s/90s: great cars
Paddy Lowe at McLaren: great cars
Paddy Lowe at Mercedes: great cars
Paddy Lowe at Williams today: abject failure

In all but the current position, he was head of his distinct field. R&D, Eletronics, etc., but always part of a process he wasn't the chief off. He left Mercedes because Mercedes doesn't have a structure were one person is head of everything in regard to the car, like Binotto at Ferrari, Newey in earlier times at Red Bull etc.. He said his key motivation to leave Mercedes for Williams was that he can now fully control the technical part of a team and thus is able to build a better car, basically like what Patrick Head did in earlier times.

Works like a charm.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i like to get real excited over nearly meaningless testing lap times and then stroke myself off over them on the internet

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
also the williams barge boards and floor areo is the most basic of any car on track - good use of the extra days lads really top notch work

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not looking at any times but it's fairly clear that it's going to be a great season, to be a Ferrari supporter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm not looking at any times but it's fairly clear that it's going to be a great season, to be a Ferrari supporter.

What did i miss, was Vettel fired?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's fired alright. Fired up, to deliver the WDC back to Maranello.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Why would Lewis need a ride to Maranello, he has his own plane.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think this the first time anything Honda powered has topped a session in the Hybrid era.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

#essereFerrari

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

I think this the first time anything Honda powered has topped a session in the Hybrid era.

Alonso was fastest in a rainy Q1 session in silver stone I believe

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lewis is #1 best driver and at kissing women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
did Driver of the Day Lance Stroll ever get formally announced at Racing Dot or did they just hope everyone forgot they said they had an announcement to make?