Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lote posted:

Man. I hate to tell him it was the US Governemt that supplied the Sunni with nuclear weapons.

yeah thats a dark lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Don't take it seriously, of course, but :lol: he wrote the book that this is from in 2014.

hate to say it, but even from 2014, it's hilariously dated, holy poo poo

he certainly has a touch of Crichton, what with his love of diseases and plot-consuming epidemics

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gazpacho posted:

Ah bloo booo why don’t you go say that to some parents face
Bringing a child into this world is inherently irrational and a selfish fufilling of base desires at the expense of the environment.

There are a lot of unpleasant truths people are going to need to hear when it comes to climate change. Getting rid of capitalism and not having kids until we get a handle on things are among them.

I'm gay so lol

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 20, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Victory Position posted:

hate to say it, but even from 2014, it's hilariously dated, holy poo poo

It's cool to think about how much the world has changed in the past 5 years.

Victory Position posted:

he certainly has a touch of Crichton, what with his love of diseases and plot-consuming epidemics

All the same I'm not sure what actually does happen in the event of a collapse of global trade. So much of modern medicine is heavily reliant on it -- would the loss of treatments, vaccination, and antibiotics lead to outbreaks, or would the greatly restricted movement ensure that an epidemic doesn't spread like wildfire across a continent?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

this is unrelated to anything but i love how whenever i google the bitcoin price it always recommends me a few articles explaining how the bitcoin price is set to skyrocket again any day now

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

SKULL.GIF posted:

All the same I'm not sure what actually does happen in the event of a collapse of global trade. So much of modern medicine is heavily reliant on it -- would the loss of treatments, vaccination, and antibiotics lead to outbreaks, or would the greatly restricted movement ensure that an epidemic doesn't spread like wildfire across a continent?

My first thought is the disassociation of logistics network from transportation networks. Global trade relies on a world wide network...an epidemic would really only require movement between a few different population centers of infected people. Travel by bicycle, foot, horse, or something of that variety would still possible. Sailing is still a thing so transfer from one continent to another might be greatly reduced without air travel, but still technically possible. From a logistics perspective if you have to replace container ships that is going to be exceptionally difficult in a short period of time. Add in the fact that there is a growing number of unvaccinated populations and I don't see it being that far fetched.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zeno-25 posted:

*adjusts fedora* :smug:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Truga posted:

Paperclips: 30,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

i should probably be fired for the hours i put into this game since it was linked. all hail the hypnodrones

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i forgot and left it running over night excited to see how many paperclips im up to

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i cheated, i was doing other things and alttabing back to the game every so often to click a bunch of poo poo that piled up.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zeno-25 posted:

Bringing a child into this world is inherently irrational and a selfish fufilling of base desires at the expense of the environment.

Having kids is as irrational and selfish fulfilling of base desires as living and breathing or saving the world from a runaway greenhouse effect. In the grand scheme of things neither of the things serve any purpose because in the end, at the heat death of the universe, literally nothing will matter.

If you are to save the world from climate change you have to be better at motivating people in the present. Offering them a vision of other peoples descendants possibly living less lovely in a faraway land is not the most inspiring vision to sell.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

all i got left is hypno drones and autotourney did i win

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

Keep going

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Stairmaster posted:

hjell no

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i got bored after converting the entire planet to paper clips and solar farms and couldn't be bothered to build the von neuman probes

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4E1GLf9Wo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

hjell no

Moridin920 posted:

Keep going

wait so the world peace option wasn't killing all of humanity?

also I hosed my progress by focusing too much on processing power I think

I'm at 38 processing and 64 memory

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i got bored after converting the entire planet to paper clips and solar farms and couldn't be bothered to build the von neuman probes

lol that's like half the game

anyway cookie clicker gobbled up around a week's worth of my time last year, lol white collar jobs

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zudgemud posted:

If you are to save the world from climate change you have to be better at motivating people in the present. Offering them a vision of other peoples descendants possibly living less lovely in a faraway land is not the most inspiring vision to sell.

Nah let's just do forced abortions

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Truga posted:

yeah i cheated, i was doing other things and alttabing back to the game every so often to click a bunch of poo poo that piled up.

That's the intended playstyle yes

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zeno-25 posted:

Nah let's just do forced abortions

okay who decides which fetuses get aborted? because it's gonna be abused 100% by whoever is in charge, and eugenics/euthanasia is a short slippery-slope argument away from genocide.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Stairmaster posted:

wait so the world peace option wasn't killing all of humanity?

also I hosed my progress by focusing too much on processing power I think

I'm at 38 processing and 64 memory

I looked at the wiki because I was stuck for pretty much the same reason. There's a project that unlocks at 100k Creativity that allows you to turn all of the computing back into trust so that you can respend it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

silentsnack posted:

okay who decides which fetuses get aborted? because it's gonna be abused 100% by whoever is in charge, and eugenics/euthanasia is a short slippery-slope argument away from genocide.

telling everyone not to have children is literally calling for genocide already, according to the UN

it's why the edgelords are so drawn to it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

let's turn this VHEMT into an In-VHEMT!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

telling everyone not to have children is literally calling for genocide already, according to the UN

it's why the edgelords are so drawn to it

telling a specific ethnic / religious / whatever group not to have kids is a call for genocide, anti-natalism generally is just kinda dumb

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that's like half the game

anyway cookie clicker gobbled up around a week's worth of my time last year, lol white collar jobs

i thought it would end at that point and when it didn't i realized it would probably going to up to the universe level

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

broke: you shouldn't have kids because the future is gonna be a roller coaster ride into a pig poo poo lagoon

woke: you should have kids anyway because fuckit

bespoke: you should have 12+ kids and form a John Brown style antifa militia

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
The game is called Universal Paperclip.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

The game is called Universal Paperclip.

yeah i'm not too bright

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
having kids is like, one of the most basic hardcoded things to do in basically every organism and like, yeah sure there's rational justifications to disobeying that urge but if you tell people they shouldn't do it even once because world is poo poo is just another form of cruelty

adopting owns and everyone who does it is a hero, also anyone who keeps yammering on about how you HAFTA GET KIDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE is a fuckface, but all that said, trying to convince people they shouldn't have kids for their own/their kids/the humanity's good might as well tell them to kill themselves for the same reason (to which the only sensible answer is "sure but you first?"), it's loving stupid

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
having kids is pointless because like all things, theyll just be inevitably processed into paperclips

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teal posted:

trying to convince people they shouldn't have kids for their own/their kids/the humanity's good might as well tell them to kill themselves for the same reason (to which the only sensible answer is "sure but you first?"), it's loving stupid

what? there's a huge loving world of difference between abstinence and voluntary self-extermination and conflating the two isn't a good angle at all

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i thought it would end at that point and when it didn't i realized it would probably going to up to the universe level

it's worth finishing. the capitalistic urge is infinite

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's worth finishing. the capitalistic urge is infinite

Shame there is finite matter.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Frog Act posted:

telling a specific ethnic / religious / whatever group not to have kids is a call for genocide, anti-natalism generally is just kinda dumb

"cspam poster" is a religious group :colbert:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silentsnack posted:

Eugenics and genocide are preferable to a collapse of the planetary biosphere and industrial civilization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zeno-25 posted:

Eugenics and genocide are preferable to a collapse of the planetary biosphere and industrial civilization.

gently caress off with this crap

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

gently caress off with this crap

The horror is coming either way, might as well be by design and with an end in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
What if genocide but woke?