Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

thehoodie posted:

What's a good JRPG to play? Preferably on ps4 but also accepting submissions for PC

what do you like, "JRPG" is a vast genre where five people can recommend five wildly different games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

thehoodie posted:

What's a good JRPG to play? Preferably on ps4 but also accepting submissions for PC

Persona 5!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that said, Atelier Rorona

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

I want to try and finish DQ Builders today but like... whoever else in here it was (sakurazuka?)... I'm on ch3 and it's dragging pretty hard, heh

idk if it's the repetitive nature of the gameplay or the poor combat or what

Yeah I've given up on it for now and started FC New Dawn

Chapter 3 for some reason really wants you to do a bunch of fighting enemies and I've no idea why because it's absolutely the worst part of the game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

thehoodie posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

what do you like, "JRPG" is a vast genre where five people can recommend five wildly different games

romancing saga 2

i take it back i'm just trollin you. you should play suikoden 1 and then suikoden 2

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bentley is good.

I was disappointed with Sly 3 but Sly 1 is a fun although short game and Sly 2 just owns all around.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

thehoodie posted:

do you want a turn based rpg or an action rpg?
are you a story liker or a story ignorer?

those are the minimum 2 clarifications you always have to make if you actually want fitting jrpg recommendations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

If you bought anthem early, gently caress yourself. You're part of the reason games will continue to release in increasingly unfinished states. You deserve every loading screen the game throws at you.

lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's the Twilight Town chapter in TTYD the worst chapter? It's constant back and forth from one end of the zone to the other! I think I'm heading back to the Steeple to fight the final boss of the area.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

BUY PERSONA 5 OR GO TO HELL!!!

Also I found Valkyria Chronicles to be interesting

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

too late

actually chest pain is slowly going away and replacing itself with heartburn. i think i'm developing GERD.

I've been trying to break myself of the habit of eating shortly before bed, because my body has apparently decided that I don't get to do that any more. What little dairy I consume and alcohol are probably next on that list.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Hello fellow changing my diet to not upset my degrading body friends, I look forward to our bones turning to dust together.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was getting strange chest feelings a few months ago and then I realized it was how I was sitting on the couch, it was compressing my neck and cutting off circulation to my arms and causing tingles/pains. Switching it up has stopped said pains, crisis averted and I can continue to ignore basic medical advice and probably stroke out in 10 years.

I got three teeth pulled last year after finally getting some dental insurance. They drugged me up so I didn't feel anything and I was eating solid food the next day. I do need to go back for a root canal and to get a bunch of cavities filled, but first thing on the list are new glasses and I figured I'd work my way down from there.

uh video games are fun too, if only i could drink a magic potion in real life :sigh:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

BUY PERSONA 5 OR GO TO HELL!!!

Persona 5 loving sucks, for real. Play 4 first or 3.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you don't get to call someone a coward for not playing a game that hit significant mainstream popularity

also persona 4 sucks rear end and katsura hashino is a piece of poo poo. persona 3 is okay but play p3p and play as the femc if you don't want to see epic transphobia

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Persona 5 is ok

Persona 4 is also ok

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd rather die than give up alcohol, the cure sounds worse than the result

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's mostly a personal thing but i really just have a hard time respecting anything about modern persona at this point and catherine full body solidified it

well, the music is alright i guess. and i give p3p a pass

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I beat Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction! :toot: When I started I was grooving on the graphics and the gameplay but at the close my favourite bit was actually the writing. It was like playing a Pixar movie with memorable characters, lots of laughs and some real heart underneath. And it ended on a cliffhanger aaaaaa come back Clank don't leave Ratchet all alone! :supaburn:

Next game up is Tomb Raider Anniversary!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like demon fusing and hard battles

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

you don't get to call someone a coward for not playing a game that hit significant mainstream popularity

also persona 4 sucks rear end and katsura hashino is a piece of poo poo. persona 3 is okay but play p3p and play as the femc if you don't want to see epic transphobia

I still like Persona games but I don't really recommend em anymore. 5 is just really bad at being a Persona game. And yea gently caress hashino.

I just started Trails of Cold Steel and while it's bad at being a Persona game it's good at being a Trails game. It's weird tho cause stuff will come up and I'll feel kinda lost even though I played Trails in the Sky and god I can't imagine how lost you would be if you haven't played TitS first lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apex Legends is...good?!

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

In Training posted:

SMTIV:Apocalypse is probably in my top 5 jrpgs of the last several years

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm so hype for SMT V but also where is it. Where is the new SMT.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

i mean. i'm not making a statement on mainline smt.

an actual dog posted:

I still like Persona games but I don't really recommend em anymore. 5 is just really bad at being a Persona game. And yea gently caress hashino.

I just started Trails of Cold Steel and while it's bad at being a Persona game it's good at being a Trails game. It's weird tho cause stuff will come up and I'll feel kinda lost even though I played Trails in the Sky and god I can't imagine how lost you would be if you haven't played TitS first lol

every persona game is bad at being a persona game, the last two modern persona games billed themselves as stories they were the complete opposite of and vanilla persona 3 has some of the worst social links in the series without playing as femc

also cold steel doesn't really try to be a persona game? it borrows the hang out stuff but it has none of the time management

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anyone who wants to play a Persona game at this point will discover them fine on their own, it does not need anyone's help.

I still really like P4 but it's not really a big deal that it's lost its luster to a lot of folks/conversations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rarity posted:

Next game up is Tomb Raider Anniversary!

Oh poo poo, you're playing something I could actually comment on.

If you've played the original game try to get a save that unlocks the developer commentary from the get go, it's pretty interesting.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Phantasium posted:

Oh poo poo, you're playing something I could actually comment on.

If you've played the original game try to get a save that unlocks the developer commentary from the get go, it's pretty interesting.

I've only played the first three levels or so sadly. Still, glad to hear it's got one, I'll look it up on Youtube after :D

e: Glad to see Insomniac ensured no penguins were harmed during the making of R+C: TOD. Good to see game devs focusing on the important issues.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

SMTIV:Apocalypse is probably in my top 5 jrpgs of the last several years

Yeah. I went back to SMT4 recently since I never beat it and it's cool too but I'm missing all the great mechanical tweaks the Apocalypse made. And for a game where dying/failure is fairly frequent, it has the LONGEST game over process of any game I can remember, which gets annoying.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brother was trying to find this picture so i dug it up for him and i figure might as well post it here since it's a good'un

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like persona 4's presentation but even ignoring the insanely lovely excuse for humor that game has i just don't connect with anything about the game's story at this point. looking back on it everything about its writing just feels insulting to me now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

my brother was trying to find this picture so i dug it up for him and i figure might as well post it here since it's a good'un

why

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm going to preorder fire emblem three houses and you can't stop me

I personally blame you for the lack of advance wars games.

Cowcaster posted:

Lol I haven't seen orzos keybindings in so long

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1098290825648328704?s=19

May 8, 2006

I don't know if it's still a thing but every second dude in Half life mod servers had some weird rear end custom binding they'd swear would boost your skills sky high "once you got used to it."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

i bind important poo poo to ctrl because i can hit it with my knuckle

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Yoshi relinquished the copyrights in the plea deal with the IRS.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That's what Yoshi gets for not paying his taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is minor in the grand scheme of things the U.S. government has stolen.