Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

How would I go about painting a SM pauldron light orange, similar to:

Orange and Yellow are a bitch, so I would advise using any reddish brown as a base and use firedragon bright as light glazes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanqol posted:

Prime white, basecoat Fire Dragon Bright. If you need to prime a different colour basecoat Jokero Orange and layer up to FD.

Check out the citadel paint app for basic questions like this, it's really good for 'what paints do I buy'.

Cool, White+ FD was what I was going to go with, I just didn't think it would be that simple. I may buy Troll Slayer too, just in case I like the shade better.

I have the Citadel app, I just didn't like any of the options it gave.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's probably not the issue, since applying watered down PVA to the top of sand (well, ballast) is basically the standard procedure in model railroading.

Probably, I was kinda pulling the reasoning out of my rear end.

I walk it back to mould release on the base, or possibly cheap pva. I have some budget pva that seems very watered down compared to normal pva, it retracts annoyingly on bases when trying to spread it to the edges, takes forever to dry, and lets sand flake off after, so for basing it's pretty useless. Will probably try using it for water effects or something and if not just toss it.

So another option could be to try a tackier/better brand.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
You can deal with surface tension with dishwashing soap or alchohol. Also just mix some craft paint with glue, sand and water. It cuts down a bunch of waiting time and it literally is just a bit of cheap paint, water, glue, and sand. So don't trick yourself into not doing it from the cost, you are going to spend a lot more money in this hobby.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zev posted:

Any advice on using testors dullcote? I picked up a can to use on some finished models, but I don’t want to gently caress it up.

Just spray it on. It's the go-to for matte sealing, so you should be good to go. The only issue I've ever had is that if you don't shake the can up really well, you can get a glossier coat. If that happens, just let it dry, shake the hell out of your can, and spray again.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My advice would be a variation on:
Measure twice, cut once

If you are using a new product (even an amazing one), err on the side of using too little.

Seriously, like a <puff> <puff> while moving side to side across the model. If it's still a bit shiny 10 minutes later, repeat.

Don't firehose your model with varnish, and then wonder why it looks chalky.

I might be speaking from personal experience.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I said come in! posted:

I am very happy with how my first Ork is turning out, but am open to suggestions. What shade would I want to use and where should I use it? For the saw, I still need to add blood to it, hopefully I can get that paint this weekend.

I like Nuln Oil on metals, and I would put it on before the blood since theoretically the blade is already old and crappy before you're cutting dudes in half with it. Also you can layer it to make stuff look "sooty" on the smokestacks, lay down a layer over the whole thing, then add layers closer and closer to just the end of the stack to build up the burned look.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I like Nuln Oil on metals, and I would put it on before the blood since theoretically the blade is already old and crappy before you're cutting dudes in half with it. Also you can layer it to make stuff look "sooty" on the smokestacks, lay down a layer over the whole thing, then add layers closer and closer to just the end of the stack to build up the burned look.

Thank you for the advice! I just got myself a bottle of Noln Oil in the mail last night and I am excited to start using it. It seems to be a highly recommended in shade in a lot of painting tutorials.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh that reminds me, having used both the army painter shades seem almost identical to citadel shade and are pretty good quality, I would be hard pressed to tell you any difference.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I said come in! posted:

Thank you for the advice! I just got myself a bottle of Noln Oil in the mail last night and I am excited to start using it. It seems to be a highly recommended in shade in a lot of painting tutorials.

The geedubz big 3, nuln, Seraphim Sepia, and Agrax Earthshade are all good buys that even the most anti GW painters acknowledge.

Sharkopath posted:

Oh that reminds me, having used both the army painter shades seem almost identical to citadel shade and are pretty good quality, I would be hard pressed to tell you any difference.

I like them too but I find that they go on a lot lighter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

My advice would be a variation on:
Measure twice, cut once

If you are using a new product (even an amazing one), err on the side of using too little.

Seriously, like a <puff> <puff> while moving side to side across the model. If it's still a bit shiny 10 minutes later, repeat.

Don't firehose your model with varnish, and then wonder why it looks chalky.

I might be speaking from personal experience.

After loving up a bunch of Knights literally hours before NOVA I refuse to use spray varnish. Airbrushing gives me much better control and no risk of frosting (which can be solved with additional layers) or texturing (which requires literal sandpaper to remove).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

The geedubz big 3, nuln, Seraphim Sepia, and Agrax Earthshade are all good buys that even the most anti GW painters acknowledge.

Ha. QFT. I was pretty anti-GW for a while, but I always liked their washes.

I still don't like their paint pots, but I've been giving them a shot again recently and they have some good stuff that coats really well. Retributor Armor, I think it's called, is the easiest Gold I've ever used, immediately fell in love with it. But $6 a pot is crazy :stare: I couldn't imagine paying that much and doing the studio "all gold" scheme for my Stormcast.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I still don't like their paint pots, but I've been giving them a shot again recently and they have some good stuff that coats really well. Retributor Armor, I think it's called, is the easiest Gold I've ever used, immediately fell in love with it. But $6 a pot is crazy :stare: I couldn't imagine paying that much and doing the studio "all gold" scheme for my Stormcast.

A pot is going to give you enough gold for dozens of models. The difference between a $3 paint and a $6 paint is like 10 cents a model.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zev posted:

Any advice on using testors dullcote? I picked up a can to use on some finished models, but I don’t want to gently caress it up.

Try to do it on a test mini you don't care about loving up first. Spray varnish can be really sensitive to temperate and humidity, moreso than opaque sprays.
Otherwise it's just the standard spray can stuff of trying to get the distance right and not to linger too long, you want to spray across the model rather than point and spray.

Dullcote is one of the best ones though and is pretty forgiving, but for matte spray cans I use AP matte because it's cheaper.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sab669 posted:

You spend a lot more on the model itself, and if the coverage is poo poo you could easily use twice as much paint. Not to mention waste from putting paint on your palette, etc. It's expensive but I would much rather use a good paint than cheap out there.

I tried to get into the GW washes but I vastly prefer Army Painter's.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Yeah, even when I was using craft paints for minis for friend's D&D characters I still didn't skimp on metallics. Decent metallics are worth their weight in whatever metal they purport themselves to be.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Booley posted:

A pot is going to give you enough gold for dozens of models. The difference between a $3 paint and a $6 paint is like 10 cents a model.

Yea, I know you're right. It just really caught me off guard when I had a $5 on me but had to charge the paint of pot lol.

Also I thin my metals much less than regular colors so I was just thinking how much faster I'd go through it.

Unrelated - I shot you a PM recently but you never replied; how'd you do that metallic red in your avatar?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Yea, I know you're right. It just really caught me off guard when I had a $5 on me but had to charge the paint of pot lol.

Also I thin my metals much less than regular colors so I was just thinking how much faster I'd go through it.

Unrelated - I shot you a PM recently but you never replied; how'd you do that metallic red in your avatar?

Sorry, I must've missed it. It's forgeworld angron red over a silver base. That paint isn't available anymore, Tamiya clear red would be the replacement.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You spend a lot more on the model itself, and if the coverage is poo poo you could easily use twice as much paint. Not to mention waste from putting paint on your palette, etc. It's expensive but I would much rather use a good paint than cheap out there.

Yeah, I'm totally in the "spend a little more if it makes doing a fun hobby thing more enjoyable" camp. I think I'd only recommend Citadel in general though if you can't easily get other lines. I don't know if there's any one brand that's universally "the best", but outside of their washes, a lot of Citadel paints are just ok compared to the competition, so I generally wouldn't pay the GW premium.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sab669 posted:

Like Booley said, Tamiya clear [color] is usually the method of choice, but I've had decent success with black basecoating -> gloss black -> silver -> ink for my candy-coating process. It's more work for a slightly less nice look, but I mostly didn't want to buy more paint.

Definitely do not try metallic medium plus ink.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Like Booley said, Tamiya clear [color] is usually the method of choice, but I've had decent success with black basecoating -> gloss black -> silver -> ink for my candy-coating process. It's more work for a slightly less nice look, but I mostly didn't want to buy more paint.

Definitely do not try metallic medium plus ink.

I've been doing silver + green wash for my current army, very happy with the result.

Tried silver + red wash and it came out a very ugly pink. Went over it with a glaze and it's much more red, but not metallic at all.

I'll have to look for the Tamiya stuff, thanks dudes.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I've been doing silver + green wash for my current army, very happy with the result.

Tried silver + red wash and it came out a very ugly pink. Went over it with a glaze and it's much more red, but not metallic at all.

I'll have to look for the Tamiya stuff, thanks dudes.

Oh, and it's with an airbrush. I'm not sure how well it works without one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, you need to airbrush both the Tamiya clear-color and the ink on. It's not really possible to get the smooth coat you'd need with a bristle brush.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Airbrush is definitely better even if you make your stuff with glaze medium, but VMC transparent red applies ok with a brush if you have to

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, I'm totally in the "spend a little more if it makes doing a fun hobby thing more enjoyable" camp. I think I'd only recommend Citadel in general though if you can't easily get other lines. I don't know if there's any one brand that's universally "the best", but outside of their washes, a lot of Citadel paints are just ok compared to the competition, so I generally wouldn't pay the GW premium.

I stopped using GW paints because I had a habit of leaving the hobby for several years and then coming back. Every time GW I did, GW had changed their paints. For new players the latest system is fantastic for getting into painting fairly quickly, but I've become a huge fan of Vallejo Model Air paints and Army Painter washes. I think in the end the difference is fairly minor and what really matters is that you enjoy the colors and find a system that works for you.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
In my case I use GW paints because that is what is locally available, its both supporting local stores and if I need a refill on anything I can get it when I would be regularly at the store anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have both an official Games Workshop store, and local store by where I live, who only stocks Citadel paints, so it makes sense to go with that.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Professor Shark posted:

How would I go about painting a SM pauldron light orange, similar to:

Vallejo Heavy Goldbrown works great as an undercoat for yellow and orange.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've been using washes made using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkMnP6p08I this method. I'm using Liquitex matte medium and flow aid, and Daler-Rowney and Liquitex inks. When I use one of these washes on a figure, I've noticed the result is a little bit glossy, kind of like a satin paint. Not enough that it's particularly distracting, and overall I kind of like the effect, but it's noticeably glossier than the base coat and it can make it look really odd when I apply shading and highlighting after the wash. Any idea what component of this mix is producing the satin finish? Does anyone else use this kind of homemade wash and have a similar result?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yes I've had the same problem. I think it's the ink but I'm not sure. I find that REALLY shaking it up before use tends to help a bit, and a matte varnish at the end will take care of it regardless.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've been using washes made using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkMnP6p08I this method. I'm using Liquitex matte medium and flow aid, and Daler-Rowney and Liquitex inks. When I use one of these washes on a figure, I've noticed the result is a little bit glossy, kind of like a satin paint. Not enough that it's particularly distracting, and overall I kind of like the effect, but it's noticeably glossier than the base coat and it can make it look really odd when I apply shading and highlighting after the wash. Any idea what component of this mix is producing the satin finish? Does anyone else use this kind of homemade wash and have a similar result?
Liquitex inks and flow aid are satin, so that probably it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am very happy with how all three of these turned out. :) I am trying not to compare myself to other Killa Kans i've seen because 1.) i'm brand new to this, and 2.) I don't have all of the paints they use, or knowledge of their techniques. I can always make touch ups and improvements later, but for now I think these look great. I am hoping in the next month to get a proper setup for taking photos. I have a digital camera with a tripod at least and should probably be practicing with that rather than my phone.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

First model I have painted in twenty years. Well the first finished one, I'm working on about 20 more at the moment...

man, photos really don''t hide anything do they.

This is another model I'm working on at the mo, painting is fun!

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 20, 2019

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

BoneMonkey posted:

First model I have painted in twenty years. Well the first finished one, I'm working on about 20 more at the moment...

That Stormcast is super clean on my phone and the colors look great. I wish my first completed stuff looked like that when i got back into painting!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My goal is to get this order done tonight. I've decided to go ahead with a SM idea that is probably super lame but I've been bouncing around in my head since some GBS thread. I've decided to go with the White Scars painting method this guy did, only with aftermarket pauldrons with orange.

What is a good Cit White to buy if I want to go with his method of using Corax White as the base?

How'd you do your purple robes?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BoneMonkey posted:

drat dude, that Dominus looks amazing. I'm going to have to go back and add more detail to mine, every time I see somebody else's I get jealous.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BoneMonkey posted:

Hell I moved this to my color accurate monitor to get a better look. For your first model in 20 years that seems very good!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Psyber Spine posted:

What do you guys use to protect the paint on your models? I have a really old can of GW's purity seal that I used on my maulerfiend but it's a little too glossy. (I'm in the UK)
I don't know what chains are local to the UK, but I just walked into the local arts & crafts big box store and bought one each of the thing that said Gloss Varnish and the thing that said Matte Varnish. One coat of gloss and then one coat of matte looks pretty good to me, and I don't think brand names actually matter.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've got the whole set of Badger Ghost tints and tried some experimenting with them awhile back.

You can get a really fiery metallic red by spraying transparent red over a gold basecoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Cross-posting from the Wh40k thread. I finished my first Tonka Taurox tonight (it's so tiny IRL - it could fit on the back of your passport):

https://imgur.com/gallery/DTzA8hq