Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I've been looking to get into a BA run for a while now (so far I've only managed a short jaunt in which I survived by not being an idiot when the rest of my party charged blindly forward into trash mobs like this was The Burn), but I have absolutely no desire to use voice comms. I have to believe this is possible, given the dungeon itself is theoretically made to be puggable. What has been other people's experiences with non-preform, non-voice comms BA runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's this torso piece? It's good.

It's the Bonewicca's Wildling's Jacket from Swallow's Compass.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bolow posted:

I have infused my body with Mountain Dew and ascended to the realm of godhood

Dragoon gets good-rear end glam game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's the Bonewicca's Wildling's Jacket from Swallow's Compass.
Is Swallow's Compass a PVP thing?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a Stormblood dungeon.

Chippzz
Mar 22, 2008
Hey goons, I'm trying to organize a weekly EX primal clear group with goons. I made a sign up sheet for the sake of interest/attendance check. Come join me attempting Tsukuyomi EX coming Saturday!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fQ-yQGhBW6bQmRa1Jieg6kqzR_0Hd__25pMRe7Fo2IQ/edit#gid=0

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's an optional dungeon from post-stormblood. The quest chain that includes it starts in The Ruby Sea with the quest An Auspicious Encounter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Marathanes posted:

I've been looking to get into a BA run for a while now (so far I've only managed a short jaunt in which I survived by not being an idiot when the rest of my party charged blindly forward into trash mobs like this was The Burn), but I have absolutely no desire to use voice comms. I have to believe this is possible, given the dungeon itself is theoretically made to be puggable. What has been other people's experiences with non-preform, non-voice comms BA runs?
Nobody expects you to say anything unless you're the leader, having someone to call stuff out helps though. There are also cactbot triggers out there if you use that junk. TBH I haven't finished it yet but I don't think there's anything in there that you couldn't just read the guide/watch a video for, just, if you gently caress up you're toast (and depending on the fight might murder other people also). Not like an EX where you have the benefit of being able to have a bad pull to see the mechanic and then get everything right on the next one.

idk how you get in there without a preform right now though, every instance I've been in either is already called by the discord cartel or Ovni dies and no one is interested in going in

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did not realize the Bonewicca stuff is dyeable. Now I regret not keeping it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

It's a Stormblood dungeon.
Thanks. I looked it up but sadly the Bonewicca piece for aiming isn't as cool.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

homeless snail posted:

idk how you get in there without a preform right now though, every instance I've been in either is already called by the discord cartel or Ovni dies and no one is interested in going in

I just pop in every time after Ovni dies and see if there are people organizing to go through and join up if so. Had a little success with it so far, but yeah, it does seem difficult to get groups excited about it on the outside.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Have a quick MCH question: is it possible to destroy a soul crystal?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Azerban posted:

according to the DRK quest chain, yes you can!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azerban posted:

I wish.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Azerban posted:

Probably pretty easily but outside of the DRK sb quests, damage to them hasn't really come up.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~

Azerban posted:

The closest a player can get to destroying a soul crystal is putting it in an extra retainer's inventory and then not paying for them anymore.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If the skip potion were cheaper I might actually try it. But you don’t get to see the job storyline if you do that right?

Yes, but they have also said that in 5.0, with New Game+, you will be able to go back and redo various storylines that you skip potioned past.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm on a free trial, but I can upgrade and get ARR through the twitch starter edition. If I then preorder shadowbringers will I have access to all of the previous expansions?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm on a free trial, but I can upgrade and get ARR through the twitch starter edition. If I then preorder shadowbringers will I have access to all of the previous expansions?

Nope! Not until release

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Disaster! It turns out that I made a huge, stupid oversight in the compilation of this BLM theorycraft post: as of some patch or other, Fire IV's base cast time is 2.8 seconds, not 3 seconds! This calls all the following math into question so I want to go through it using the new numbers and see if anything changes. Corrections in bold:

Ferrinus posted:

While I'm on a kick, something I've been wondering about is if it's worth it to use Triplecast to sneak an extra Flare into astral phase. Specifically, if you get a mana tick between Blizzard IV and Fire III, you'll start Astral phase with 14880 mp, and end it with like ~1300mp... which is enough to cast Flare. Which means if you save Triplecast, which I normally use to just make three F4s cast faster, for the very end, you could do Triple -> Flare -> Transpose, Foul, Blizzard III and not lose any time to mana ticks or hardcast long spells or anything.

So a totally normal astral to umbral cycle looks like this: F4 x3 (8.4sec), F (2.5sec), F4 x3 (8.4sec), B3 (2.5 sec), Foul (2.5 sec). That's 1.8(900 + 180 + 900) + 0.7(240) + 650 = 4382 potency in 24.3 seconds, or 180.33 potency/second.

Now we have a Triplecast to apply, which reduces three F4s from 3sec each to 2.5 sec each. If we just use the Triplecast right before a set of three F4s, we do the same rotation but it takes 0.9 seconds fewer, or 23.4 seconds. That brings our potency/sec up to 187.26.

But, what if we instead use it to turn our cycle into F4 x3 (8.4sec), F (2.5sec), F4 x3 (8.4sec), Flare (2.5sec) , Foul (2.5 sec), B3 (2.5 sec)? That adds a 468 potency flare, and gives us a full 240 potency blizzard, making for a total potency of 4922. However, it also adds 2.5 seconds for the casting of flare, giving us a time of 26.8 seconds. That's 183.65 potency/second. So, using triplecast to sneak in a single flare rather than speed up three F4s is a bad idea and I shouldn't have been doing it these past few weeks, oh no!

What if we really go HAM, though, and do this: use Triplecast near the end of our cycle so that it affects two Fires 4 and a single Flare, then transpose and hardcast Foul, then swiftcast Blizzard III? And this would compete with just using Swiftcast on one of our Fires IV at the end of the standard rotation in addition to Triplecast at the start.

That means the standard use of Triplecast's time drops to 23.1 seconds and 189.69 potency/sec.

However, the weird extra Flare cycle's time drops by 0.6 seconds to to 26.2, and it's got a per-second potency of... 187.86. That's slightly better than just using Triplecast on three F4s, but a bit more than slightly worse than using Triplecast on three F4s and swiftcast on a fourth F4.

So, looks like it's still true that if you have a mind to spend your instacasts on dps rather than movement, you should be using them on Fires IV rather than on cheated-in Flares. Thanks for coming on this journey with me, everyone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Nope! Not until release
But you should probably preorder anyway since it'll 1. be the cheapest way to get the full set of expansions and 2. you'll get some really valuable earrings that boost XP and are going away after the pre-order period. I got the ones from the last preorder and it was so worth it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah Id just unsub for whatever amount of months it takes between finishing the 2.x stuff and shadowbringers releasing

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

One down, one to go, and then Freedom

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Control Volume posted:

Nope! Not until release

FactsAreUseless posted:

But you should probably preorder anyway since it'll 1. be the cheapest way to get the full set of expansions and 2. you'll get some really valuable earrings that boost XP and are going away after the pre-order period. I got the ones from the last preorder and it was so worth it.

Yeah, buying the current expansions now seems like a waste of money. Oh well, it's not like I'll get much past 50 with any one class by the time the expansion is out anyway and that earring could come in handy with all of the jobs that I'll likely try out.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Disaster! It turns out that I made a huge, stupid oversight in the compilation of this BLM theorycraft post: as of some patch or other, Fire IV's base cast time is 2.8 seconds, not 3 seconds! This calls all the following math into question so I want to go through it using the new numbers and see if anything changes. Corrections in bold:

So, looks like it's still true that if you have a mind to spend your instacasts on dps rather than movement, you should be using them on Fires IV rather than on cheated-in Flares. Thanks for coming on this journey with me, everyone.

nerd

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, buying the current expansions now seems like a waste of money. Oh well, it's not like I'll get much past 50 with any one class by the time the expansion is out anyway and that earring could come in handy with all of the jobs that I'll likely try out.
The post-ARR endgame is also pretty massive, and a lot of players these days don't do most of it because they want to move on to HW. You'll have a ton to do.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

drat Dirty Ape posted:

it's 270ish quests until you hit 3.0

treat it like a 100 hour jrpg and you'll be OK

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Anyone know when the end of preorder is? I'd rather wait until we get more news on viera before committing but if I gotta get my purchase in before 3/1, well, y'know.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty sure pre-orders go right up until launch

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you don't preorder right this second Yoshi P knocks on your door and rips apart a Viera plushie and says "You are banned from Shadowbringers"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure pre-orders go right up until launch

That's what I thought, but I don't remember the pre-order bonuses being distributed so early before.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Re: cleric stance, I really liked the 5 second cooldown because it meant I had to actually know what I was doing before hitting the button, since 5 seconds can easily kill someone in this game. I hope they add something like it to a healer class eventually. Preferably sch so I can keep the fairy. :v:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I appreciated cleric stance when I started playing the game but I got more and more tired of it the better I got at managing it. If they really want to make healer damage more difficult or weighty they should give healers real attack rotations besides keeping their dots going and pressing the 1 button.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I appreciated cleric stance when I started playing the game but I got more and more tired of it the better I got at managing it. If they really want to make healer damage more difficult or weighty they should give healers real attack rotations besides keeping their dots going and pressing the 1 button.
They should make attacks combo into heals or vice-versa to encourage healers to keep up a mix of damage and healing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There are situations where you absolutely have to spam a few of your big heals in order for the group to survive, and there are situations where between eos and maybe some off-gcd skills, there's literally no real healing needed, so I don't think combos would work out too well.

Ferrinus posted:

Personally, the more I played with CS, the more I liked it. Also, I quit the game for about half a year between 4.3 and 4.5, and when I came back I found myself mashing my cleric stance button when switching between dps/healing lmao. Muscle memory is scary af

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

They should give it back to white mage

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Make it run off of lillies or something, so white mages have something to juggle thats not just casting stone forever between dots and ogcds

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do RDM's white and black mana thing, but its using attack spells and heal spells and if you do too much of one it damages you.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'd be interested if dancer has a sort of tempo mechanic. Like strengthening your attacks and heals by alternating them to keep your performance from getting stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I guess you could sort of replicate cleric stance by giving healers risky/overload/whatever attack spells that do much more damage but tank your healing abilities for the next ~two GCDs if you so much as start casting them, such that you had to be sure that no desperately-needed healing was coming down the pipe for the next five seconds before really cutting loose, but that seems like it'd cause a lot more grief than it introduces interesting decisions.