Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This cast is...impossible

Timothée Chalamet - Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Jessica Atreides
Dave Bautista - Glossu "The Beast" Rabban
Stellan Skarsgård - Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Charlotte Rampling - Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Oscar Isaac - Duke Leto Atreides
Javier Bardem - Stilgar of Sietch Tabr
Josh Brolin - Gurney Halleck
Dave Dastmalchian - Piter De Vries

rumored

Jason Momoa - Duncan Idaho
Zendaya - Chani of Sietch Tabr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

All those secondary roles are going to be a showcase of character actors that you kind of stop and say , hey! I know that guy! I am sure shea whigham or Kyle Chandler show up.

Also my man Javier cannot do anything wrong.
He's going to nail Stilgar.Even in the last pirates of the Caribbean he was more than decent ( incredible achievement).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if Man of Steel's Krypton and particularly Black Panther showed that you can definitely have sci-fi with unusual aesthetics and non-Western cultural influences and make millions at the box office without viewers questioning it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

This is the no-@duneauthor zone after all. Some of the first prequels and the new sequels have elements I can believe came from notes but most of it is invented.
At this point, I refuse to believe even this basic claim. Everything Brian Herbert claims to be a co-author of is just fanfiction, and a particularily bad example at that.
I also refuse to call him by his twitter handle.

kiimo posted:

Dave Dastmalchian joins the cast of Dune as Piter!!
I feel like I don't have a clue what he's like as an actor, despite having seen movies he's in - so he's a bit of an unknown for me, but I don't mind that at all.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

D. Ebdrup posted:

At this point, I refuse to believe even this basic claim. Everything Brian Herbert claims to be a co-author of is just fanfiction, and a particularily bad example at that.
I also refuse to call him by his twitter handle.

Brian Herbert has written more Dune novels than anyone else. By dint of being the most prolific author in the canon's history, he has rightfully and truly assumed the mantle of duneauthor.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Death of @duneauthor

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the death of @duneauthor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeDUYRmmPI&t=105s

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Death of @duneauthor

holy poo poo did we just mind meld or something?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 20, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i touched your spark

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

dook leetoh

Yo dookie, remember the tooth
Wazaaa:gas:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

the death of @duneauthor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeDUYRmmPI&t=105s

Yep!

Wanna go start a galactic jihad in the garage!?

Yep!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chubby Henparty posted:

Yo dookie, remember the tooth
Wazaaa:gas:

:lol::lol:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Due to this thread I'm starting a readthrough of the entire series again. I'm hoping that I understand Chapterhouse better this time, it confused the poo poo out of me 20 years ago when I last read it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yep!

Wanna go start a galactic jihad in the garage!?

Yep!

Lmao this owns.

It’s the motherfucking Caladan spice mixer

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

Brian Herbert has written more Dune novels than anyone else. By dint of being the most prolific author in the canon's history, he has rightfully and truly assumed the mantle of duneauthor.

"Written"

I think you vastly misrepresent the amount of work KJA probably had to do to turn the books into readable pulp trash.

Also, that argument loses weight when Brian originally said "everything" was from extensive notes, unfinished drafts, and reams and reams of outlines from his father's estate. he made all that up

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

drat dude Javier Bardem is a rad choice for Stilgar

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Temaukel posted:

I found it, here:

coughelonmuskcultcough

excited about Piter the actor rocks, so slimy, weird, and clever

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ignite Memories posted:

Don't ever speak to me or my ethnically ambiguous space Bedouin dad ever again.

Edit: GODDAMMIT I read that as bad choice gently caress me I'm sorry memories I'll go fall on my crysknife real quick

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Soundtrack by Brian Eno

Would be cool

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ignite Memories posted:

I hadn’t ever considered him when I was wondering who they would cast and now I can’t possibly see anyone else in the role. It’s a perfect choice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Soundtrack by Brian Eno

Would be cool

At least bring him in to do a track or two

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm curious to see how they handle all the internal monologue and the abstract concepts like the Golden Path. Do they just make it a cool action movie or do they risk losing an audience with the whole "the water of life connected my mentat training to my bene gesserit training and now my mind is a super computer that can see all possible paths thereby perceiving the future and all roads end in the extinction of all life thanks to those bene tleilax fucks creating a super self-aware hunter seeker that will destroy all organic life so now I need either me or my son to become a tyrant for 3500 years just to guide humanity in a 3 millennia renaissance festival just to make sure that doesn't happen also sandtrout are cool watch my kid turn into a gigantic worm, take that dennis rodman, whom no one remembers but me" because I'm not sure how that will translate on screen.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The golden path is not mentioned in the first novel at all, Paul's focus on his prescience is mostly finding a way to avoid the jihad with a few notes about seeing his old friends alive in some futures and dead in others.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Can we vote people in as extras?

Pretend to do your job in the year 13,000.

I got a buddy who would make a badass chairdog deliverer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All I know is I better see Phillip J Fry getting enslaved by Honored Matres in a "death by snu snu" imprinting scene.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm reading a friends' dissertation on Transhumanism, in a section about bioconservatism he used this quote.

"The final technical conquest of his own nature would almost certainly leave mankind utterly enfeebled. This form of mastery would be identical with utter dehumanization. …Homogenization, mediocrity, pacification, drug-induced contentment, debasement of taste, souls without loves and longings—these are the inevitable results of making the essence of human nature the last project of technical mastery." - Leon Kass

It makes me think of Dune, but for no specific reason because I've only really read the first book.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'm curious to see how they handle all the internal monologue and the abstract concepts like the Golden Path. Do they just make it a cool action movie or do they risk losing an audience with the whole "the water of life connected my mentat training to my bene gesserit training and now my mind is a super computer that can see all possible paths thereby perceiving the future and all roads end in the extinction of all life thanks to those bene tleilax fucks creating a super self-aware hunter seeker that will destroy all organic life so now I need either me or my son to become a tyrant for 3500 years just to guide humanity in a 3 millennia renaissance festival just to make sure that doesn't happen also sandtrout are cool watch my kid turn into a gigantic worm, take that dennis rodman, whom no one remembers but me" because I'm not sure how that will translate on screen.

If it's anything like his other stuff it's gonna be a lotta long takes of Paul looking at a beautiful desert scene, as his mother turns into a spider behind him

madeintaipei posted:

currently folding space from my cubicle to the office's water cooler

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

It's really gotta engage with weird psychedelia on some level. Dune just doesn't work properly if you don't get weird and color outside the lines a little.

I'm thinking that dream scene in First Reformed mixed with a bit of Altered States and a dash of that fire sparks transition from Blade Runner 2049.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Sorry buddy. Gonna be another 5000 years after the movie takes place before sitting technology gets to that level.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

pentyne posted:

"Written"

I think you vastly misrepresent the amount of work KJA probably had to do to turn the books into readable pulp trash.

Also, that argument loses weight when Brian originally said "everything" was from extensive notes, unfinished drafts, and reams and reams of outlines from his father's estate. he made all that up

It reflects very poorly on you when you begrudge a man's hard-earned success like this

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I'm reading a friends' dissertation on Transhumanism, in a section about bioconservatism he used this quote.

"The final technical conquest of his own nature would almost certainly leave mankind utterly enfeebled. This form of mastery would be identical with utter dehumanization. …Homogenization, mediocrity, pacification, drug-induced contentment, debasement of taste, souls without loves and longings—these are the inevitable results of making the essence of human nature the last project of technical mastery." - Leon Kass

It makes me think of Dune, but for no specific reason because I've only really read the first book.

lolling @ your friend

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What's my thesis title? Oh a little something called Reflectiosn: That one time I did mushrooms in my dorm plus a thesaurus.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Goons: I'm really worked about how an artist will perform the impossible task of nonverbal communication

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Prediction: this movie will disappoint some people

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Testikles posted:

Sorry buddy. Gonna be another 5000 years after the movie takes place before sitting technology gets to that level.

See, he knows what you need before it ever existed.

Roger Dean's Custom Furniture and Removals.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

how dare you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

yes but we will jihad said people

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This movie will be pretty and it'll be well shot and unbelievably Dune, but it's probably not gonna shatter our world or have the iconic atmosphere and vosuals of lynch's version

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

basic hitler posted:

This movie will be pretty and it'll be well shot and unbelievably Dune, but it's probably not gonna shatter our world or have the iconic atmosphere and vosuals of lynch's version

The vosual nodules hook directly into my nasal module.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if they'll be true to the book in how Jessica is basically the protagonist for the first half, and specifically notices when Paul starts to take charge of his own destiny.