Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

basic hitler posted:

Mass effect andromeda may be fine now but they shipped a hilariously broken game and it's EA and I decided to stop buying EA games after i got burned on sim city 2013, and I've never looked back. I might be sad if i liked sports games but i think those are poo poo mostly so im insanely free to ficking hate EA

If they somehow make a game i want to play Im still never gonna pay for it.

I got burned twice by simcity because I got a refund but it's still there in my origin account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Inquisition was pretty decent?

It was the most time wasting single player video game I've ever played.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

poverty goat posted:

I got burned twice by simcity because I got a refund but it's still there in my origin account

Maxis: hey yeah let's revisit a beloved franchise and maybe modernize the ol' formula

EA: wow nice. Hey you should shove a completely pointless and mandatory always online element and strip out all the simulation stuff, our moron customers dont know how to play it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

basic hitler posted:

EA: wow nice. Hey you should shove a completely pointless and mandatory always online element and strip out all the simulation stuff, our moron customers dont know how to play it

let's be fair now. they added layers of simulation! for example, electricical transmission is simulated by carrying the electricity in trucks, subject to traffic, to every building

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

let's be fair now. they added layers of simulation! for example, electricical transmission is simulated by carrying the electricity in trucks, subject to traffic, to every building

iirc basically everything was beholden to this. If one city was having financial problems (somehow, considering the game was basically auto-success) and you wanted to send it money from another, it literally deployed cash laden trucks to make the transfer. If the cash trucks got stuck in grid-lock then the other city just had to watch helplessly as services were cut, waiting the money-mobiles to clear rush hour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Weren't the trucks also unable to make left turns

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Quote-Unquote posted:

hmm no

if you read a book outside in the sun it's still the same book as if you read it on the toilet though, you just experienced the content slightly differently.

Some days I really have to stop and question why I still read these forums

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

this is amazing

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The White Dragon posted:

the dude who made the roads got done with his code first, and the people in the scrum meeting were like "hey, you know, the power simulation is taking a long time, why don't we get the guy who wrote the roads to help?" then the guy who wrote the roads was like "I know - what if the roads... conducted the electricity?"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty sure the water and sewage was all the same way too.

Poor Simolean's toilets were backing up because the underground poop truck couldn't turn left.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also at least at launch they had no way to tie specific Simoleans to specific places of work. Workers literally just drove out their house to the closest place needing any worker on a day by day basis. This lead to things like the nuclear plant melting down because nobody who showed up that day had a college degree (they were probably at the lumber yard).

You could write pages and pages about the ridiculous poo poo in that game lol.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
EA really gave Cities Skylines, a game that also has huge problems but they're not that huge, quite an opening.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lambert posted:

It was terrible, uninspired and filled with boring tedium. Full of generic side-quests that hop around the galaxy to maximize time spent in loading screens and uninteresting characters. All built on top of a stupid story about space-imperialists bringing civilization to the savages of another galaxy.

Also, all those dumb temples that were just tedious to navigate and made no sense from an architectural standpoint.

That's basically all bioware rpgs though. KOTOR is wildly overrated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the dude who made the roads got done with his code first, and the people in the scrum meeting were like "hey, you know, the power simulation is taking a long time, why don't we get the guy who wrote the roads to help?" then the guy who wrote the roads was like "I know - what if the roads... conducted the electricity?"

I mean it's not a terrible concept that roads implicitly include utilities networks, it's the "agent" implementation that sucks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KOTOR was so loving boring.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chomp8645 posted:

Also at least at launch they had no way to tie specific Simoleans to specific places of work. Workers literally just drove out their house to the closest place needing any worker on a day by day basis. This lead to things like the nuclear plant melting down because nobody who showed up that day had a college degree (they were probably at the lumber yard).

You could write pages and pages about the ridiculous poo poo in that game lol.

I've loved 100% of the write-ups of stupid poo poo in that game. I'd love to see some more of this.

This might have been a fever dream but I remember reading something about how a crime, if left unattended by cops, would keep on escalating so if the cops got stuck in traffic by the time they got there they'd just kill the criminal. Or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

EA really gave Cities Skylines, a game that also has huge problems but they're not that huge, quite an opening.

What are the huge problems? I really like it, but I don't put the thought into it that it deserves (optimizing industrial traffic, that sort of thing) so I've never noticed any glaring flaws (except making symmetrical highway offramps was a PITA IIRC) and I'm legit curious what the major criticisms are.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

jokes posted:

This might have been a fever dream but I remember reading something about how a crime, if left unattended by cops, would keep on escalating so if the cops got stuck in traffic by the time they got there they'd just kill the criminal. Or something.
I think you were just reading about real life in America?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KOTOR is awesome if you're the type of gamer who demands that RPGs be 100+ hours

That said HK-47 was a cool character I like robots with utter disdain for human life

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

KOTOR is awesome if you're the type of gamer who demands that RPGs be 100+ hours

That said HK-47 was a cool character I like robots with utter disdain for human life

I love that they released an Android version, I can play it on my android TV box. still haven't ported kotor 2 though :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

I've loved 100% of the write-ups of stupid poo poo in that game. I'd love to see some more of this.

If you don't know, the SimCity 2013 online gimmick was mandatory, and I don't think they had private regions at first. One of the online gimmicks was that, if you had bus depots, your citizens could travel to other player's cities for work... or to look for work.

Someone quickly figured out a pretty good grief. Make a new city in a region, and build nothing but residential. Because the game was bad, even a city with just residential buildings (no commercial, no industry, no UTILITIES) would still populate over time. Additionally, a citizen's decision to permanently leave town was based on nice things/services/jobs versus taxes. Because this is SimCity 2013, you can guess at the sophistication of that algorithm. Short version: if you set taxes to zero nobody would ever leave, because their desire to stay could not be less than zero, while taxes were zero. Basically you just used your starting funds to make a giant row of tenement blocks in the wilderness with no services, which left you with plenty of people, but no jobs and lots of crime. Without police stations, the crime wouldn't go down. Without taxes, people wouldn't leave. And without jobs and services, they wanted to look elsewhere.

That's where the bus depots come in. If you used the last of your starting funds to add a bunch of bus depots to Remote Slum City then your citizens would take the bus to other people's towns to look for jobs. For reasons unknown, the criminals would do the same. Maybe they just wanted a change scenery. In this way you could flood other player's cities with your vast hordes of unemployed and criminal citizens arriving daily by bus. This would overwhelm most other player's police services, while also significantly lowering average happiness in the city on account of all the unemployed and the general Judge Dredd atmosphere on the streets.

When night fell your unemployed and criminal hordes would re-board the buses and return to sleep in their wilderness tenements without power or sewage, before getting up the next day to do it all over again.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 20, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SimCity 2013 was a dumpster fire that brightened everyone's life around it. Spectacular.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
At least it had an amazing soundtrack, so the game did serve its purpose in my book.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What are the huge problems? I really like it, but I don't put the thought into it that it deserves (optimizing industrial traffic, that sort of thing) so I've never noticed any glaring flaws (except making symmetrical highway offramps was a PITA IIRC) and I'm legit curious what the major criticisms are.

A lot of the issues that people complain about are with the abstracting. The minute you take more than a shallow look into any single mechanic, it becomes obvious how fake it all is. The population meters are fake too. Put up 4 houses with 16 people in them, and yet I have more than 100 citizens. I guess people live at the factories they work? I don't know.

I think that it's dumb to look too deeply into the game though and appreciate the zen garden of building cool cities.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jokes posted:

A lot of the issues that people complain about are with the abstracting. The minute you take more than a shallow look into any single mechanic, it becomes obvious how fake it all is. The population meters are fake too. Put up 4 houses with 16 people in them, and yet I have more than 100 citizens. I guess people live at the factories they work? I don't know.

I think that it's dumb to look too deeply into the game though and appreciate the zen garden of building cool cities.

You should check out Pocket City for Android, its like $3 and it's about the closest thing to high-res SC2000 you can get

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
UT players smell like spoiled cheese and also look like spoiled cheese

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's okay as a game but it feels like a step down from Simcity 4's region system and more detailed control over the appearance of everything. I also don't feel like its traffic model is particularly realistic, it's extremely detailed in that it simulates every agent in the city, but the way the agents move about does not feel exactly like a real city since real traffic has more random motion and more variation that just can't be simulated well on the agent level. It's fine but I think a good abstraction is perfectly fine as well and can be done with far fewer resources.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jokes posted:

there are a lot of dumb quirks with mass transit that are not intuitive and will cripple your city if you don't build them just so as decreed in the wiki, and the traffic is only slightly better than simcity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

KOTOR was so loving boring.

Every Bioware game ever is boring

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

there are a lot of dumb quirks with mass transit that are not intuitive and will cripple your city if you don't build them just so as decreed in the wiki, and the traffic is only slightly better than simcity.

I do remember you having to arrange commercial/industrial and their roads in an annoyingly specific way, otherwise endless gridlock. At the time I chalked it up more to my being bad at the game than the game being badly designed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

If you don't know, the SimCity 2013 online gimmick was mandatory, and I don't think they had private regions at first. One of the online gimmicks was that, if you had bus depots, your citizens could travel to other player's cities for work... or to look for work.

Someone quickly figured out a pretty good grief. Make a new city in a region, and build nothing but residential. Because the game was bad, even a city with just residential buildings (no commercial, no industry, no UTILITIES) would still populate over time. Additionally, a citizen's decision to permanently leave town was based on nice things/services/jobs versus taxes. Because this is SimCity 2013, you can guess at the sophistication of that algorithm. Short version: if you set taxes to zero nobody would ever leave, because their desire to stay could not be less than zero, while taxes were zero. Basically you just used your starting funds to make a giant row of tenement blocks in the wilderness with no services, which left you with plenty of people, but no jobs and lots of crime. Without police stations, the crime wouldn't go down. Without taxes, people wouldn't leave. And without jobs and services, they wanted to look elsewhere.

That's where the bus depots come in. If you used the last of your starting funds to add a bunch of bus depots to Remote Slum City then your citizens would take the bus to other people's towns to look for jobs. For reasons unknown, the criminals would do the same. Maybe they just wanted a change scenery. In this way you could flood other player's cities with your vast hordes of unemployed and criminal citizens arriving daily by bus. This would overwhelm most other player's police services, while also significantly lowering average happiness in the city on account of all the unemployed and the general Judge Dredd atmosphere on the streets.

When night fell your unemployed and criminal hordes would re-board the buses and return to sleep in their wilderness tenements without power or sewage, before getting up the next day to do it all over again.

thread delivers again and again

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Chomp8645 posted:

Up until this point, I was reading along with interest but not fully seeing the grief. Then the bolded part comes, and I had to stop for a minute or two since I was laughing so hard.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
We need more broken simcity stories

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I heard in TG that the designer of Cyberpunk 2020 (the ttrpg) used the original SimCity to design a super inefficient crime filled city map.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

toggle crouch > hold to crouch

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

poverty goat posted:

who doesn't agree with this

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Lambert posted:

At least it had an amazing soundtrack, so the game did serve its purpose in my book.

Can't deny this. I regularly listen to the SimCity soundtrack while playing Cities: Skylines. It was one of the few things of SimCity that was actually good, also in how things like smoke puffs would come from chimney's in the beat of the music that was playing. Small little details in an otherwise terrible cluster gently caress of a game. Still, if Cities: Skylines 2 is ever a thing I hope they add optional multiplayer in some capacity. Building a region together was actually sort of fun.

poverty goat posted:

Eh, depends on the game. Hold to crouch was my go to method until I started playing Rainbow Six Siege. Wouldn't want to hold crouch in that game, no sir.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SimCity 2013's soundtrack was indeed loving fantastic.

SC2013 was probably the last game I ever got truly hyped for. It had been so long, it looked so good.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

City games need mixed use zoning or like form-based zoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Simcity 2013 was the death of beloved developer Maxis, and it gave us at least a solid 2 years of constant comedy, because of the stupid things that kept coming up(it actually DIDNT need online always! Etc), and the idiots defending the game because it kinda worked, if you squinted

Interviews with developers squirming and trying to explain how it actually worked, maybe, right before the game came out

Round tables of journalists invited to play and everyone reporting uhhhh, it doesn’t work that well...

And yes the soundtrack was loving fantastic and I still listen to it

Ahhh, Simcity was great, got a lot of entertainment out of it, even if I didn’t buy it