Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What is with this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What is with this thread

Try freezing good posts so you can read them during posting winter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Try freezing good posts so you can read them during posting winter.

Thanks for being so gracious as to give me permission to blah blah fartttt

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I usually take a couple days off from reading the forums so I can come back and skip dumbass derails. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://youtu.be/QagHy-5Jvuc

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

PancakeTransmission posted:

Long life (UHT) milk. Lasts months in the cupboard.

I've never heard of UHT milk but I'm going to look for it the next time I buy groceries because it sounds ideal for how little milk I use and also apparently makes people angry. What term for it actually gets printed on the label?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've never heard of UHT milk but I'm going to look for it the next time I buy groceries because it sounds ideal for how little milk I use and also apparently makes people angry. What term for it actually gets printed on the label?

Where are you in the world? In the UK its literally called "UHT milk" or "Longlife UHT" on the label, although there are obviously brands.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Exact labeling probably depends on where you live. The trick is that it isn't in the refrigerated dairy case because it doesn't need refrigeration. Look for it over in the same section as the cans of sweetened condensed milk and powdered milk. Usually comes in a tetra box.

LOL, someone on the internet is mad about milk.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I bought 2l of milk on Tuesday and it has a Best Before date of Feb 28. It'll still be good after that date but I'll probably have chugged it by then.

Here in Ireland UHT milk is sold in every supermarket. The only problem is that milk tastes like a cow's arse unless it's icy cold. No sane person wants to drink room-temperature milk.

When I was a kid my grandparents used to get unpasteurized milk from a farm up the road and that stuff was great. It didn't last longer than the pasteurized stuff, but instead of turning rancid it sort of thickened and became sweeter, until it got to the point where it wasn't drinkable any more and my gran used it to make butter.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I asked about "UHT", "shelf stable", "long life", etc. milk and everyone working at the store acted like I was crazy for thinking it was a real product. Nice one.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I asked about "UHT", "shelf stable", "long life", etc. milk and everyone working at the store acted like I was crazy for thinking it was a real product. Nice one.

Where do you live? It almost certainly is sold somewhere nearby.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They just don’t think you’re ready for it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Subjunctive posted:

They just don’t think you’re ready for it.

No, that's jelly.

Which is shelf stable but must be refrigerated after opening.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's generally not labeled as UHT in the US. If you see milk that says "ultra-pasteurized", that's UHT milk. They put it in the refrigerated section because Americans don't trust unrefrigerated milk.

Horizon Organic makes it, and some of their single serving sizes are sold on the shelf in some stores. Look for organic milk that costs 3x more if you must have UHT milk in the US.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm in Orlando and I definitely don't recall seeing any shelf-stable milk that wasn't condensed milk in cans.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Big Lots and Dollar Tree usually have shelf stable chocolate milk that I've always been wary of but it doesn't taste that bad. Definitely would have been better cold though

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
The local dollar store here sells half gallons of shelf stable milk, doesn't taste like real milk but it doesn't taste bad by any means.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Here are two good lifehacks:

1) Cheese, if it's in an unopened package will go up a level in sharpness after the date stamped on the package. Example: Sharp Cheddar becomes Extra Sharp Cheddar.

2) If you have a block of moldy cheese, you can cut the mold off with a sharp knife, and the cheese is still good.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm in Orlando and I definitely don't recall seeing any shelf-stable milk that wasn't condensed milk in cans.

It's on the shelf at publix:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

toplitzin posted:

That's what I've seen at Kroger and Meijer. And Mega in Mexico.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

toplitzin posted:

Oh hell yeah, this was the brand I used to buy in Spain. Whoever said warm milk tastes like death was right though, and I always forgot to put it in the fridge the night before.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's generally not labeled as UHT in the US. If you see milk that says "ultra-pasteurized", that's UHT milk. They put it in the refrigerated section because Americans don't trust unrefrigerated milk.

Horizon Organic makes it, and some of their single serving sizes are sold on the shelf in some stores. Look for organic milk that costs 3x more if you must have UHT milk in the US.

UHT milk is not inherently shelf stable; it must be packaged in an aseptic container like a Tetra Pak. Most UHT milk from the refrigerated section in the US is not shelf stable. Sure, it's UHT, but the packaging is not aseptic. The Horizon Organic single serving are shelf stable but everything else they make needs to be refrigerated.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

MisterOblivious posted:

UHT milk is not inherently shelf stable; it must be packaged in an aseptic container like a Tetra Pak. Most UHT milk from the refrigerated section in the US is not shelf stable. Sure, it's UHT, but the packaging is not aseptic. The Horizon Organic single serving are shelf stable but everything else they make needs to be refrigerated.

If it's sold refrigerated, then by definition it's not "shelf stable" :lol: What point were you trying to make, bolding that there?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Stores sometimes refrigerate stuff that doesn't need refrigeration, because people won't believe that it's shelf-stable. The grocery store nearest to me has the ketchup, mustard, pickles, and olives all in a cooler.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Iron Crowned posted:

Here are two good lifehacks:

1) Cheese, if it's in an unopened package will go up a level in sharpness after the date stamped on the package. Example: Sharp Cheddar becomes Extra Sharp Cheddar.

2) If you have a block of moldy cheese, you can cut the mold off with a sharp knife, and the cheese is still good.

oh, you're one of those people

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

aardvaard posted:

oh, you're one of those people

What, a person who understands how food decomposes and doesn't just throw something away when it hits the expiration date, wasting perfectly good food? What a goober amirite

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Before I had a roommate I would purposely leave cheese to age in my cheese drawer.

Now my roommate will get into it well before it gets to that point.

Lifehack: Don't get a roommate if you want to age cheese. OR at least get a roommate that doesn't like cheese.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Butter doesn't really get moldy (because there's almost no water) but it does go bad. However, if you slice off the discoloured layer, the stuff underneath is just fine.

I mean I'm not advocating storing butter at room temperature but if you do forget to put it back in the fridge, it's not all spoiled.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Butter will stay good for weeks at room temperature, as long as it's in an airtight container. As an added bonus, it'll actually be possible to spread!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Butter will stay good for weeks at room temperature, as long as it's in an airtight container. As an added bonus, it'll actually be possible to spread!

Alternatively, you can make your own butter softener with a hot glue gun and some hairpins.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I love my butter bell for this very reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I love my butter bell for this very reason.

You ring it and Jorgosmanolos brings you some room-temperature butter?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

You ring it and Jorgosmanolos Enrique brings you some room-temperature butter?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh he's gotten a new man.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

What, a person who understands how food decomposes and doesn't just throw something away when it hits the expiration date, wasting perfectly good food? What a goober amirite

Jesus gently caress what a good post in this thread you are on fire my man

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

Jesus gently caress what a good post in this thread you are on fire my man

Just lol if you don't get Enrique to shitpost for you

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Iron Crowned posted:

Before I had a roommate I would purposely leave cheese to age in my cheese drawer.

Now my roommate will get into it well before it gets to that point.

Lifehack: Don't get a roommate if you want to age cheese. OR at least get a roommate that doesn't like cheese.
Lifehack: get a roommate who understands such advanced concepts as "if I bought it, it's mine" and "my stuff is not yours to touch, use, or take"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Coming from anyone else, that statement would make me worry. I get you, I just remember going through the coolers hunting down poo poo that just had to go. Looking at you, three year old mascarpone cheese that made it's way into and out of the trash twice, in a Gulf-style seafood restaurant.

Apropos of nothing: Is there a place on SA to ask questions about restaurants?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Coming from anyone else, that statement would make me worry. I get you, I just remember going through the coolers hunting down poo poo that just had to go. Looking at you, three year old mascarpone cheese that made it's way into and out of the trash twice, in a Gulf-style seafood restaurant.

Apropos of nothing: Is there a place on SA to ask questions about restaurants?

Yeah, restaurant horror house coolers are another thing entirely. There is a restaurant industry thread in GWS which is mostly shop talk and complaining, but you can probly get answers for whatever there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Butter will stay good for weeks at room temperature, as long as it's in an airtight container.

I also microdose butter from a 1 litre tub.