Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wiegieman posted:

Trying to sue someone for making a mod that had components which looked like your products is like DC trying to sue a colored pencil company because some kid, somewhere, was drawing Superman.

harmony gold would do that, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

also marvel did sue ncsoft over city of heroes

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

:emptyquote:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Companies. Suing companies. That sure sounds applicable when discussing modding.

Not to mention that the City of Heroes lawsuit went nowhere and got settled out of court without anything changing for CoH.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Companies. Suing companies. That sure sounds applicable when discussing modding.

Not to mention that the City of Heroes lawsuit went nowhere and got settled out of court without anything changing for CoH.

it still cost ncsoft a bunch of money to litigate, and doubtless some amount of money to moderate people who continued to make VVo1ver1n3 in city of heroes.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Was there any public resolution on that Harmony Gold suit, or do they still claim all forms of walking tanks in all forms?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Was there any public resolution on that Harmony Gold suit, or do they still claim all forms of walking tanks in all forms?

HG maintains their various claims, but their lawsuit against Harebrained was dropped and their suit against PGI was resolved without changing anything anyone can tell. (The Warhammer IIC just came out in MWO, or is about to come out. idk I don't follow MWO very closely any more.)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
They also lost the lawsuit with the owners of the Macross IP, and will be losing their rights in toto come 2021.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cease to Hope posted:

HG maintains their various claims, but their lawsuit against Harebrained was dropped and their suit against PGI was resolved without changing anything anyone can tell. (The Warhammer IIC just came out in MWO, or is about to come out. idk I don't follow MWO very closely any more.)

It's worth noting HBS has confirmed that the "Unseen" are coming after they get at least the first 2 DLCs done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Q_res posted:

It's worth noting HBS has confirmed that the "Unseen" are coming after they get at least the first 2 DLCs done.

The third DLC will probably be the Unseen.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

LeSquide posted:

That is a paranoia-level reaction.

Given the nature of HG? Kinda justified also. (plus there was an ongoing lawsuit over that exact matter at the time)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jedit posted:

The third DLC will probably be the Unseen.

They already said that that marauder and warhammer at least will be free and released after DLC 2.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It seems loading a pre-mission autosave in Career mode doesn't let you go into the mission, forcing you to cancel the contract and take the rep hit. So, uh, be careful with that if you're ever one contract away from bankruptcy as it was my case (there were no other contracts available within 30 days of travel)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Azran posted:

It seems loading a pre-mission autosave in Career mode doesn't let you go into the mission, forcing you to cancel the contract and take the rep hit. So, uh, be careful with that if you're ever one contract away from bankruptcy as it was my case (there were no other contracts available within 30 days of travel)
That sucks. Can you at least sell a bunch of stuff or scrap some mechs to save yourself?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can try and sell your spare equipment as well, you may have a month's worth of medium lasers and heat sinks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, I could sell a Panther and a few lasers. Didn't think of that :v: Unrelated but is there any way to know where contracts are available in the star map? I've went to different planets and I can't seem to find a contract.

I even started a new Career run and I don't have any missions available either, which I don't know if it's possible?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Azran posted:

Yeah, I could sell a Panther and a few lasers. Didn't think of that :v: Unrelated but is there any way to know where contracts are available in the star map? I've went to different planets and I can't seem to find a contract.

I even started a new Career run and I don't have any missions available either, which I don't know if it's possible?

That's a bug.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Last night I went from having no assaults to getting the Highlander from the story mission, killing the pilot of the Battlemaster in said mission and then headshotting a King Crab in my next contract. What's the best way to kit these bad boys out?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Double AC20 the crab or give it a couple of large lasers and lrm50. It's King poo poo of Murder Mountain either way!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Back to checking file integrity for the third time this week. :sigh: I don't even have mods installed, it's getting tiresome.

Edit: Oh, only one file. Last time it was 134. :geno:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there any way to do a Career mode without a dumb arbitrary countdown timer? I just want to wander around the map doing random poo poo and I cant do that with a countdown timer staring me in the face on every screen.
edit: I and I realize now that I also wish I didnt have a macguffin ship to fly around in but wanting to ditch that leads to mods.

Also, did they change how rep hits work? I did maybe 5 contracts in a Career Mode game and that was enough to get the Capella Confederation to hate my guts, which seems a bit....extreme?

Azran posted:

Thats definitely a bug. Did the game update or anything? I saw something similar happen last year when I was doing the story campaign after a patch.

edit:

Azran posted:

Back to checking file integrity for the third time this week. :sigh: I don't even have mods installed, it's getting tiresome.

Edit: Oh, only one file. Last time it was 134. :geno:
You may need to change systems for new contracts to populate if it has anything to do with the bug I saw. You can also mod the average number of contracts in the files somewhere. I'm at work otherwise I would tell you which file to change.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 21, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do you know what happens when the timer runs out?

absolutely nothing

Honestly, you're probably going to say "eh, I'm bored of smashing assault mechs into each other, time for a new game so I can go back to lights and mediums" long before the timer runs out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabor posted:

Do you know what happens when the timer runs out?

absolutely nothing

Honestly, you're probably going to say "eh, I'm bored of smashing assault mechs into each other, time for a new game so I can go back to lights and mediums" long before the timer runs out.
:wtc:

Does the Career mode ramp up to the point where only assault missions are available? Well, I guess it has to otherwise why doesnt career mode have contracts of every skull type floating around? I really really wish they would have had the skulls actually mean something concrete rather than a ballpark "maybe its this tough"? My desire to play this game suffers death by 1000 cuts because so many little nagging things that shouldnt be problems/should be easy to fix/seem like an obvious problem that should have been fixed by now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you go to lower skull planets in career mode you'll still get .5 to 2.5 skull missions full of lights and mediums to curbstomp.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:wtc:

Does the Career mode ramp up to the point where only assault missions are available?

No, you do get contracts of every rating (subject to base planet difficulty), it's just that once you're rocking a full or nearly full assault lance the only reason to do less than 5 skulls is because you want a cakewalk.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Last night I went from having no assaults to getting the Highlander from the story mission, killing the pilot of the Battlemaster in said mission and then headshotting a King Crab in my next contract. What's the best way to kit these bad boys out?

Highlander 732B - The stock loadout is actually great. Just add a cockpit mod and gyro. Otherwise only things to upgrade on it are the ML/LRM/SRM to +++ versions.

King Crab - Basically anything works great on it because it has so much free tonnage *and* better hardpoints than an Atlas. I always have more fun with my 2x AC20 builds using either the +4 accuracy variants or a ballistic TTS +3 to get the most hits in its limited range. Remember that doing less damage on paper doesn't matter if your called shots core or decapitate everything instantly. I lucked into a Gauss Rifle+ and made one with that and an AC20+++ that was huge fun too. Or just use a bunch of LRMs and lasers. Or 2 smaller ACs with a mix of other poo poo. Sometimes I bump up the armor a bit to match the Highlander.

Battlemaster - It has the same free tonnage as an Orion but with worse initiative, so I've never been a huge fan. The most fun I had with it was to max out the front armor and fill it with arm mods and SL/ML/SRM/MG and just have it run/jump at people and punch them so they explode instantly. It is DEFINITELY better at that than an Orion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I put a bunch of lostech on my Atlas for the hell of it because it's just inferior to the trio of Crabs I have and while it's not as good on paper, and overheats instantly outside of the arctic, it's really funny watching it trundle up in phase 3 (master tac and Cyclops so good) and erase a heavy

I also have a Highlander 733P but I couldn't think of anything better to do with it than load up with MLs, SRMs, and jump jets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sean10mm posted:

King Crab
My only regret is that the King Crab doesnt have more Ballistic hardpoints on its arms. I wish it had three on each so I could build a gimmick 6x AC/2 mech.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Maybe the most fun thing I ever came up with was taking an Orion K and loading it with a Gauss Rifle+ and double heat sinks and JJ and +++ everything else.

Nothing like having an "scout" for your 3 assaults that regularly just blows heads off as it jumps all over the place.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I don't find the guass rifle to be an effective head capper post-expansion.

Sure, it can do it on paper, but the AI can effectively use bulwark now and it spends a lot of time in trees anyways. Far, far more often I'll see a head shot with a gauss that strips the armor and leaves a few internal left.

Not saying it's a bad weapon, and frankly I kind of like the AC20 being the only guaranteed head killer.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't find the guass rifle to be an effective head capper post-expansion.

Sure, it can do it on paper, but the AI can effectively use bulwark now and it spends a lot of time in trees anyways. Far, far more often I'll see a head shot with a gauss that strips the armor and leaves a few internal left.

Not saying it's a bad weapon, and frankly I kind of like the AC20 being the only guaranteed head killer.

:eng101: This is what Breaching Shot is for.

e: But also firing 2 AC20 at the head is just DELIGHTFUL. Even if it "fails" you usually blow apart some other section and/or knock it down.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 21, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My only regret is that the King Crab doesnt have more Ballistic hardpoints on its arms. I wish it had three on each so I could build a gimmick 6x AC/2 mech.

My only regret is that the KGC doesn't have Energy hardpoints on its arms so I can turn it into a watered-down Supernova.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

frankly I kind of like the AC20 being the only guaranteed head killer.

Well unless the target is bulwaked and has the 60% damage reduction. Bulwark is stupid amd should be removed.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Stravag posted:

Well unless the target is bulwaked and has the 60% damage reduction. Bulwark is stupid amd should be removed.

Yeah, i feel like maybe something like an evasion bonus on top of the evasion pips for lights and mediums could be good if they face heavies and assaults so they can be actually viable in late-game instead of being literally useless and dead in a turn or two.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bulwark is why I keep breaching shot on my AC20 and LRM machines.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Free Weekend!

(Also I would like to try this game, but it crashes instead of launching. Drivers all say they are updated, pretty sure I exceed the min. specs. Already tried verifying once, trying again now. Any advice?)

Edit: (drivers not updated, but integrated Intel chip on a laptop so it might be game over)
(Driver producer says check with laptop manufacturer, laptop manufacturer doesn't list display drivers where they should)

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 23, 2019

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm sure this has been talked about, but this just went on sale so I'm dropping by to ask: can anyone remark on whether or not the writing is good? I loved Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong specifically because I liked the writing, and apparently the same guy was in charge of those and Battletech, so I'm hoping there are some good character stories or settings or whatever in here.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

anime tupac posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about, but this just went on sale so I'm dropping by to ask: can anyone remark on whether or not the writing is good? I loved Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong specifically because I liked the writing, and apparently the same guy was in charge of those and Battletech, so I'm hoping there are some good character stories or settings or whatever in here.

It's fine to great, but there isn't a lot of it like in Shadowrun. It's just not an RPG. The plot's mostly there to move you between missions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You can just play the free weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

anime tupac posted:

it's just okay. that said i thought dragonfall was absolute garbage so ymmv