Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve been going to movies and concerts by myself since I was old enough to drive, at various points in my life few or none of my friends have shared my tastes. As of right now, I can think of 1 person I could go to metal shows with and 0 I could go to punk shows with, and no one I could get to see the new John Wick or Godzilla movies with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’ve been going to movies and concerts by myself since I was old enough to drive, at various points in my life few or none of my friends have shared my tastes. As of right now, I can think of 1 person I could go to metal shows with and 0 I could go to punk shows with, and no one I could get to see the new John Wick or Godzilla movies with me.

I've been going to the movies alone for years. I love it. I kinda prefer it to seeing it in large groups.

You have funny friends. Most of my friends are into seeing stuff like Godzilla or John Wick, it's getting them to the 4k restoration of Suspiria or seeing Spring Breakers on 35mm that's the problem.

To be fair, my friends are even open to those, it's just two of them have a kid now, another is working on a master's degree when she's not at work, and my best friend's fiance refuses to watch anything that isn't sci-fi or comedy with very little violence and he feels guilty seeing things without her. I'm actually really fortunate that the woman I've started dating recently loves watching movies and is open to pretty much anything/everything and has also seen like 1/4th of the films I've seen. We just watched Return of the Living Dead over the weekend and she loving loved it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I've been going to the movies alone for years. I love it. I kinda prefer it to seeing it in large groups.

You have funny friends. Most of my friends are into seeing stuff like Godzilla or John Wick, it's getting them to the 4k restoration of Suspiria or seeing Spring Breakers on 35mm that's the problem.

To be fair, my friends are even open to those, it's just two of them have a kid now, another is working on a master's degree when she's not at work, and my best friend's fiance refuses to watch anything that isn't sci-fi or comedy with very little violence and he feels guilty seeing things without her. I'm actually really fortunate that the woman I've started dating recently loves watching movies and is open to pretty much anything/everything and has also seen like 1/4th of the films I've seen. We just watched Return of the Living Dead over the weekend and she loving loved it.

My girlfriend likes horror, but she’s more into horror to be scared, while I’m into horror that can be scary or fun, and she’s not super into horror-comedy and not really into action (although she did like Die Hard!). Her roommate likes horror, but he’s extremely finicky in his tastes and basically doesn’t care for anything supernatural, and the rest of my friends I’ve watched movies with don’t like horror or are afraid of horror movies. I know one person who’s into action and horror and metal as much as I am, but he’s more of a friend-of-a-friend currently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samuel Clemens posted:

How else would you crowd surf?

Face down, rear end up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My girlfriend likes horror, but she’s more into horror to be scared, while I’m into horror that can be scary or fun, and she’s not super into horror-comedy and not really into action (although she did like Die Hard!). Her roommate likes horror, but he’s extremely finicky in his tastes and basically doesn’t care for anything supernatural, and the rest of my friends I’ve watched movies with don’t like horror or are afraid of horror movies. I know one person who’s into action and horror and metal as much as I am, but he’s more of a friend-of-a-friend currently.

Oh, well in that case, buy them all cinder block shoes and a trip to the nearest body of water.

My friends either liked horror but hadn't seen a lot of horror, or never got a chance to watch horror because of their SO's, or outright disliked horror. So I started my Spooky Nights to have everyone together so I could give them a Horror 101 and show them a horror movie they'd like. Now they all actively love horror movies (though they tend to wait for me to host another Spooky Night instead of seek it out themselves).

My friend's fiance, the one that likes sci-fi and comedies, is difficult. She doesn't like gore, and she doesn't like visceral violence. So I inform her whenever we're doing a Spooky Night whether she can handle it or not. But that's not good enough for her. She just doesn't like trying new things. We watched The Endless because it's something she would really like--not overtly horrific, no real violence or gore, interesting premise, solid characters--and even then she was was resistant. By the end she loved it, but she's one of those people that would rather scan available rentals for half an hour rather than give a film the same time to win you over.

My best friend gets frustrated by it, but he's so passive. So I get stuck bullying her into watching something because she's so drat picky.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My girlfriend can also be picky about her horror, or trying something different. I tried showing her all the Alien movies leading up to Covenant so we could watch it in theaters, but when we got to 3 she didn’t feel like watching it because it had a 49% on Rotten Tomatoes, even though I told her it’s actually good and she’s a David Fincher fan. I even warned her at the start of this project that Resurrection’s not supposed to be any good (I still haven’t seen it), and she still seemed interested in going through with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

So bohemian rhapsody is mostly just bland but holy gently caress every now and then it drops some amazingly terrible scenes on you, like the truck stop scene cut with Freddy in an actual Jesus christ pose while crowd surfing and I'm just like

gently caress you Bryan singer

MIDWEST USA

Seeing Clarence Clarity tonight and it only cost £7. Small gigs are good. It’s so annoying how many big acts only ever play The O2 which is so loving huge and impersonal

And I basically never go to movies with other people lol. But a lot of that is because I hit up captioned screenings when I can

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The best night of my life was probably seeing Andrew WK with a crowd of people actively dedicated to good vibes and by the end he had let the front rows come up on stage with him so I was basically watching him perform from two feet away.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My partner straight up couldn’t do horror movies, they’d send her into an anxiety attack, until this year, when she awakened to a rapacious appetite for blood.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CPL593H posted:

I don't entirely find this an invalid reading of the film but I think it still relies on considering the sequels too much in the context of the first film. I don;t really think there's much in the first movie that implies Morpheus and company are basically full of poo poo "Meet the new boss same as the old boss types."

Morpheus’ battery explanation has always been horseshit. What the machines have been doing is wasting energy on keeping humanity alive & happy.

Smith himself disagrees with how the Matrix is run, however, because he lives there. He lives on Earth, in 1999, and he sees the looming catastrophes facing his world. When he talks about how humans expand and consume everything like viruses, he’s talking about capitalism. Of course he is the enemy of the libertarians.

Then, Smith is not simply killed at the end of Matrix 1. Instead, Neo forces himself into Smith’s body - then Smith’s skin splits and falls off like a chrysalis to reveal a glowing figure. That’s ‘The One’.

What’s going on here is that Neo has colonized Smith’s body and literally become the new Smith, while the actual Smith (a Proto-Christ figure along the lines of HAL 9000) is crucified and his body spread like communion.

Morpheus’ crew are all people of color, women, queer, etc. But there’s no contradiction between that fact and them being libertarian conspiracy theorists. What the film demonstrates is the seductive appeal of libertarianism to marginalized people, who miss that it provides more liberty for certain people than for others (see also: Get Out).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I've got no problem going to most things alone, but I'm not going to lie, I really really really prefer going to a show with at least one person I know. I'll still go on my own, and often end up making friends for the night with some people there, but it can also feel pretty lonely when you are the only one not talking to someone between the first and the second opener when the floor is still pretty empty. Especially when you are older than a significant amount of the crowd.

The worst is when you know people who will like the show but still can't get them to come. I had tickets to Ty Segall acoustic last fall and my wife got sick the day of so I tried all day to give that second ticket to someone. All my normal concert folk were out of town, and it was a Sunday show so a couple other people just wanted to stay inside. I ended up giving the ticket to the person I was sitting next to while getting a quick bite at a bar before the show.

As someone who doesn't usually care for acoustic shows, it ended up being the best acoustic performance I've seen in a long time (maybe forever), but really wish I could talk about it still with someone else who was there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Morpheus’ crew are all people of color, women, queer, etc. But there’s no contradiction between that fact and them being libertarian conspiracy theorists. What the film demonstrates is the seductive appeal of libertarianism to marginalized people, who miss that it provides more liberty for certain people than for others (see also: Get Out).

I wonder how much of this goes back to the Western genre.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Horror Noire is such a dope documentary.

Should I go see Ganja and Hess tonight?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m not a big fan of Rage (and frankly whenever I have the opportunity I mention Gang of Four was so much better), but that soundtrack choice is perfect.

Rage Against the Machine < Inside Out < 108

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UBpLevJaOE

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The prodigal son has returned from his podcast fame.

Welcome back, Boogey!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Friends Are Evil posted:

Yes.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Depending on the day I would probably order them in all different sorts of priorities.

Rage < IO < 108 < IO < Rage < 108 < IO < 108 < IO < Rage . . . .

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

J of IDEOTV (aka Satellite High) said Downset was the true "better than RATM" band, I haven’t listened to them yet though, but I’ll definitely give 108 a shot too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Greetings, Comrade

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Depending on the day I would probably order them in all different sorts of priorities.

Rage < IO < 108 < IO < Rage < 108 < IO < 108 < IO < Rage . . . .

I mean all three are great. I even more or less enjoyed Prophets of Rage when I randomly saw them live

X-Ray Pecs posted:

J of IDEOTV (aka Satellite High) said Downset was the true "better than RATM" band, I haven’t listened to them yet though, but I’ll definitely give 108 a shot too.

the connection is Inside Out was the first big band for Zach De la Rocha and Vic DiCara from 108. I got nothing against Rage but 108 is an all time favorite band for me.

I haven't listened to a ton of Downset but I'm uhhh somewhat skeptical I'd like them more than any of the above.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Not to be the biggest Rage defender, but Rage got as big as they did because, looking past any of their politics or contradictions as a band, they can write a catchy song with a hook.

Downset is a good band and a great live show, but there is a reason they never rose out of the LA scene in the 90s, just like a lot of great genre bands that never really ascended past their genre. I'm not trying to knock a genre band either, because a lot of my favorite bands fit that category, but there is a reason some bands can fly right past their contemporaries and it usually has to do with writing a catchy tune.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean all three are great. I even more or less enjoyed Prophets of Rage when I randomly saw them live

the connection is Inside Out was the first big band for Zach De la Rocha and Vic DiCara from 108. I got nothing against Rage but 108 is an all time favorite band for me.

I haven't listened to a ton of Downset but I'm uhhh somewhat skeptical I'd like them more than any of the above.

Yeah basically agree with everything you said here, except replace 108 with Rage as a band I got to see all the time growing up so they always have a special place in my heart.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Voodoofly posted:

Not to be the biggest Rage defender, but Rage got as big as they did because, looking past any of their politics or contradictions as a band, they can write a catchy song with a hook.

I think a lot of Rage I’ve heard lacks energy and heaviness, but drat right they could make a great hook.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That’s fair, I was just saying what little I know about 90s metal/hardcore because outside of industrial stuff, that’s one of my biggest musical blind spots.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Friends Are Evil posted:

loving obviously

Did anyone watch Lee’s remake? I don’t have the heart...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thought you were gone for good, what a nice surprise

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DeimosRising posted:

loving obviously

Did anyone watch Lee’s remake? I don’t have the heart...

I donated to the Kickstarter and it was disappointing. Just poorly paced, drags. But I did get a signed copy of his book about the making of Malcolm X out of it so it was worthwhile.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

The prodigal son has returned from his podcast fame.

Welcome back, Boogey!

What’s all this then

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

He's the co-host on Nameless Cults, a podcast about horror movies. It's good!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Escobarbarian posted:

What’s all this then

He was a regular contributor to Pod Save America until he was let go because of some Facebook drama

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

McCloud posted:

I kind of agree. The only person I'd really like to see live would be Weird Al, otherwise I can just enjoy the music in the comfort of my home and not fuss about seats/standing space and other people screaming and what else.

I went to Weird Al and David Byrne (two different shows, not the same bill) last year and it was great.

My concert-going is sporadic and I've racked up a weird list: Ringo, Little Richard, Smash Mouth, Styx, The Aquabats!, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, and the aforementioned.

Really wish I'd caught The Monkees last year, now :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't go to as many concerts as I like anymore. It's partially just getting old, both in that I don't have the energy and bands I like don't tour anymore. Still, I go to concerts by myself all the time. I prefer going with others but most of my friends don't like that sort of thing and those that do are either picky or hard to get together with.

These days there's too much I miss because I just don't want to deal with the venue. There's a small club in Boston that has pretty much no parking. It used to have parking but all of that got made into limited parking.The venue itself offers parking but the one time I tried that they were really late and I missed two acts. There's actually a show I'd really like to go to there next month but I probably won't because ehhhhhhh

So far this year I only have tickets to Rodrigo y Gabriella's current tour and Weird Al's symphonic tour. I'm excited about that last one because while I don't really listen to Weird Al, he's one of the first musicians I ever listened to so it will be cool to finally see him live (incidentally I did manage to see the actual first band I got into by myself, Green Jelly, a few years ago and it ruled.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Bowser is heading up Nintendo of America now. We clearly live on the most evil of all possible Earths

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axelblaze posted:

Apparently Bowser is heading up Nintendo of America now. We clearly live on the most evil of all possible Earths

This unironically completely owns.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I get way too loving tired for concerts nowadays. Every time I buy tickets the day of the show I just get that remorse and don't want to leave my house and end up forcing myself to stand around. I've seen some good poo poo though over the years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

He's the co-host on Nameless Cults, a podcast about horror movies. It's good!

Thanks!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He was a regular contributor to Pod Save America until he was let go because of some Facebook drama

Allegedly.

axelblaze posted:

I don't go to as many concerts as I like anymore. It's partially just getting old, both in that I don't have the energy and bands I like don't tour anymore. Still, I go to concerts by myself all the time. I prefer going with others but most of my friends don't like that sort of thing and those that do are either picky or hard to get together with.

TrixRabbi posted:

I get way too loving tired for concerts nowadays. Every time I buy tickets the day of the show I just get that remorse and don't want to leave my house and end up forcing myself to stand around. I've seen some good poo poo though over the years.

I kinda envy this. I'm going to way too many shows in March. Next weekend i'm going to a Friday night show, a Saturday matinee, and a Saturday night show. I had to start keeping a ledger because i keep forgetting what i said i'd go to, who has my tickets, and who i owe money to for buying me tickets.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Every time I buy tickets commit to doing anything at all the day of the show thing I committed to I just get that remorse and don't want to leave my house and end up forcing myself to stand around.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I can tell I’m getting old because the last time my group did game night, I was really excited to play Monopoly, and it was the most excited I was about anything all week.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I kinda envy this. I'm going to way too many shows in March. Next weekend i'm going to a Friday night show, a Saturday matinee, and a Saturday night show. I had to start keeping a ledger because i keep forgetting what i said i'd go to, who has my tickets, and who i owe money to for buying me tickets.

If you dig it, it's worth it. When I was doing concert photography I'd regularly hit about four or five shows a week and it was loving awesome. It pushed me out of my comfort zone socially and musically and I found some of the raddest stuff that I would never have found by choice, especially as a snotty indie kid. However there came a point where I just kinda stopped, because life gets in the way, and over the last two years I think I've seen McCartney and David Byrne, and that's it but I'm OK with it.

Do whatever makes you happy, maaaaaaan

(but seriously live music of every firm is undoubtedly superior to recorded music, from Hans Zimmer to the smallest local band)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Getting old is underrated. Like, I'm not never gonna go to a concert again, but I'm done just going to random shows for the hell of going, I want to make sure it's a band I care about.

Like I saw Mischief Brew twice before he died and they were two of the best shows I've ever been to (one with Subhumans headlining), so always worth actually doing the thing.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thanks!

Allegedly.

I go through spurts like this where I’ll have five or so shows in a couple weeks, get dead tired and then not buy tickets for new shows for a few weeks. Then once I’m back on my feet I go buy a bunch of shows again. Because I usually buy a month or two in advance I’m an idiot and don’t check to see how clustered up they get until it’s too late and I repeat the cycle of stupidity over and over and over.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Also with musichat, everyone should listen to the new HEALTH album, it loving rips. Best album I've heard since Carly Rae Jepson's E Mo Tion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

Getting old is underrated. Like, I'm not never gonna go to a concert again, but I'm done just going to random shows for the hell of going, I want to make sure it's a band I care about.

Like I saw Mischief Brew twice before he died and they were two of the best shows I've ever been to (one with Subhumans headlining), so always worth actually doing the thing.

The older I get the more I prefer random shows because random openers are now my favorite way to find new bands. I’m at the point where I just tell everyone to meet me at the show because I want to see every second of every opener. The real problem was band shirts as I had to put a self enforced rule that I will only buy two shirts max, which usually means I don’t buy Merch from the headliner so that I can support the openers