Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

punchline: this is talking about the federal Liberals

Again, it works on several levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Assuming that we get a Liberal or Conservative minority later this year, which seems most likely at this point, do you think the Cons pull a Harper again and just run elections every 2 years until they get their majority or do they just let the Liberals keep doing stuff and cutting their fingers off

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Singh is so bad

https://twitter.com/globalbc/status/1098364755528609793?s=21

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Assuming that we get a Liberal or Conservative minority later this year, which seems most likely at this point, do you think the Cons pull a Harper again and just run elections every 2 years until they get their majority or do they just let the Liberals keep doing stuff and cutting their fingers off

Why do you think a minority seem likely? That would require at least a strong NDP or strong Bloc and, well,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Did someone slip him the neoliberal playbook in an orange dust jacket or something?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:allears: What a world we live in

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

infernal machines posted:

Did someone slip him the neoliberal playbook in an orange dust jacket or something?
Yes. He is not progressive at all or actually leading with ideas that actually address the underlying problems.

https://twitter.com/cdnmortgagenews/status/1098583224840867841?s=21

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

As I said when I posted that in the housing bubble thread, this is the complete opposite of what should be done to address the housing price issue. He's advocating juicing demand and re-inflating the housing bubble all over again. It's completely moronic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God gently caress this world. Wish Niki won.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why do you think a minority seem likely? That would require at least a strong NDP or strong Bloc and, well,

It's going to be split pretty evenly between the Libs and the Cons heading into the election, I can't see either pushing enough issues during an election cycle to break that deadlock either way. I could see the NDP pulling BC, AB/Sask/MB are probably going to be straight Cons. I could also see the Cons grabbing seats in Ontario from the LIbs as well. Quebec is weird because who the gently caress are they going to vote for at this point?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Darkest Timeline option: Bernier's party actually pulls seats in Quebec and we end up with a Con minority propped up by the even more turbo racist party.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Don't you remember Beyoncegate? Why would you elect such a monster?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Bernier's anti-supply management stance really pissed off Quebecois though I thought

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

How likely is it that Trudeau broke the law with regards to this whole scandal? When will we actually find out what happened?

The only way we can find out precisely what happened is if Trudeau decides to waive a cabinet confidence. That confidence stays in place even if the Liberals lose the election (i.e. if the Conservatives come in, they don't get to find out the cabinet confidences of the Liberals). The fact that this is even being talked about means that someone leaked a cabinet confidence.

As to "did he break the law", that we do know. No, he didn't. A Prime Minister and cabinet wield executive power, the oft forgotten (in Canada) third head of government alongside the legislature and the courts. Cabinet deciding that a prosecution is not in the best interests of Canada for political reasons is an explicitly an exercise of that executive power. A Prime Minister saying "Use a deferred prosecution, we don't want to bankrupt a company with 60,000 employees" is exactly why this power rests with the executive.

For added context on this, even if there was a piece of legislation that said "The Prime Minister shall not give SNC-Lavalin a break" - Trudeau's cabinet could still do it. Because the legislature cannot, merely through legislation, limit the ability of the executive to exercise its powers.

Or to think of it another way, these "deferred prosecution agreements" are now part of the law in Canada (for better or for worse). Someone has to decide whether they should be employed in any case. That will usually be a prosecutor, who serves under and at the direction of the Minister of Justice, who is part of Cabinet. Which is to say, Cabinet or a delegate thereof is who was going to decide on whether to exercise the discretion in any event.

The scandal is that, notwithstanding the above, Canada likes the idea that prosecutors should enjoy independence and not be subject to political whims. It's a pretty good idea generally. And the allegation here is that Trudeau has interfered with that independence.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, the privy clerk has spoken to the Justice Committee and called this all bullshit, and stated (Paraphrased) that the globe report was bullshit, and sensationalism.

That's interesting.

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1098636235067670528

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/1098647901440487425

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

any of the other leadership candidates would have been better honestly

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

any of the other leadership candidates would have been better honestly

Every day I see no Changus,
I wake up in the morning and I ask myself,
Is life worth living or should I blast myself?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Bernier's anti-supply management stance really pissed off Quebecois though I thought

It made dairy farmers sign up en masse, and since Québec has like 50 members per riding they managed to dominate much of the vote. Idk how much real people care.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, the privy clerk has spoken to the Justice Committee and called this all bullshit, and stated (Paraphrased) that the globe report was bullshit, and sensationalism.

That's interesting.

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1098636235067670528

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/1098647901440487425

I can't believe this is the best defence the Liberals can muster and their trying it after Butts has resigned (for no reason!).

If the Globe defamed you, go ahead and sue them, otherwise get the inquiry over with because you're making Canada look like a banana republic.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
NDP went with Singh because he was able to raise money. Unfortunately they didn’t go with a candidate who had ideas that could garner public support and by extension raise money.

This is the major problem with the NDP, they want to short cut the process. First become popular, then raise money, then form government. They are unwilling to do this because it requires risk and the NDP career staff are all risk adverse. Which is why the whole party needs to be flushed and replaced with an activist grass roots organization that can form a new party.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I remember talking to my MP Jenny Kwan at the leadership debate here in Van East and how crestfallen she looked when I said I was backing Ashton. She tried to convince me Singh was our guy. I'm voting for the Communist party this year.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Although when I lived in Hamilton it was an NDP stronghold but those voters weren’t progressive. They were low income, from blue collar pro-union families who voted NDP because that’s how their family always voted. I doubt they would support a progressive left party which is why the NDP keeps chasing the LPC on “middle class” bullshit.

They don’t want to lose those voters and they don’t want to lose Quebec so you end up with a party too terrified to make any policy changes or take positions and they just wither and die as the world changes around them.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

The Manitoba PCs gave a contract to run the provinces air ambulances to a company headed by former Manitoba Premier Gary Filmon lol

lol this province just keeps getting owned by the pcs

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

I can't believe this is the best defence the Liberals can muster and their trying it after Butts has resigned (for no reason!).

If the Globe defamed you, go ahead and sue them, otherwise get the inquiry over with because you're making Canada look like a banana republic.

The Clerk of the Privy counsel is the most senior civil servant in the government. He's not a Liberal. He is required to refrain from entering the political fray.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Maneck posted:

The only way we can find out precisely what happened is if Trudeau decides to waive a cabinet confidence. That confidence stays in place even if the Liberals lose the election (i.e. if the Conservatives come in, they don't get to find out the cabinet confidences of the Liberals). The fact that this is even being talked about means that someone leaked a cabinet confidence.

As to "did he break the law", that we do know. No, he didn't. A Prime Minister and cabinet wield executive power, the oft forgotten (in Canada) third head of government alongside the legislature and the courts. Cabinet deciding that a prosecution is not in the best interests of Canada for political reasons is an explicitly an exercise of that executive power. A Prime Minister saying "Use a deferred prosecution, we don't want to bankrupt a company with 60,000 employees" is exactly why this power rests with the executive.

For added context on this, even if there was a piece of legislation that said "The Prime Minister shall not give SNC-Lavalin a break" - Trudeau's cabinet could still do it. Because the legislature cannot, merely through legislation, limit the ability of the executive to exercise its powers.

Or to think of it another way, these "deferred prosecution agreements" are now part of the law in Canada (for better or for worse). Someone has to decide whether they should be employed in any case. That will usually be a prosecutor, who serves under and at the direction of the Minister of Justice, who is part of Cabinet. Which is to say, Cabinet or a delegate thereof is who was going to decide on whether to exercise the discretion in any event.

The scandal is that, notwithstanding the above, Canada likes the idea that prosecutors should enjoy independence and not be subject to political whims. It's a pretty good idea generally. And the allegation here is that Trudeau has interfered with that independence.

lol this is such a load of bullshit

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Maneck posted:

The Clerk of the Privy counsel is the most senior civil servant in the government. He's not a Liberal. He is required to refrain from entering the political fray.

yes.. the person whose appointment rests on the whims of the prime minister is "not a liberal" lmao

gently caress off

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Maneck posted:

Yes *strokes beard* we'll get this Ottawa bubble hack who literally works for us to tell them there's no fire, that will work.

Gerry Butts and the (barely) former AG have both resigned but this white guy says it's fake news. PLEASE DON'T INVESTIGATE FURTHER.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

THC posted:

I remember talking to my MP Jenny Kwan at the leadership debate here in Van East and how crestfallen she looked when I said I was backing Ashton. She tried to convince me Singh was our guy. I'm voting for the Communist party this year.

Yeah this may be the first federal election where I don't vote NDP.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

RBC posted:

yes.. the person whose appointment rests on the whims of the prime minister is "not a liberal" lmao

gently caress off

Appointed as the DPC by Harper, so....yes?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Michael Wernick was appointed by the governor general, just like every previous Clerk of the Privy Counsel. Prior to that, he spent eight years working as a Deputy Minister under the Conservatives, before being appointed DCPC while Harper was Prime Minister.

If he is taking partisan positions, he should be fired immediately. Keeping the civil service non-partisan is a core tenet of the position. Breaching that duty would (or at least should) be a bigger scandal that the Raybold-Wilson affair.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah look at the bang up job he's doing staying out of politics today.

Just find a doddering retired SCC judge to do an inquiry, dragging this poo poo out is not helping your team.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Maneck posted:

Michael Wernick was appointed by the governor general, just like every previous Clerk of the Privy Counsel. Prior to that, he spent eight years working as a Deputy Minister under the Conservatives, before being appointed DCPC while Harper was Prime Minister.

If he is taking partisan positions, he should be fired immediately. Keeping the civil service non-partisan is a core tenet of the position. Breaching that duty would (or at least should) be a bigger scandal that the Raybold-Wilson affair.

the governor general doesnt appoint poo poo, the pm appoints them and he picks who he loving wants and the governor general does what the governor general does, which is sign whatever the gently caress is put in front of them

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Appointed as the DPC by Harper, so....yes?

dude, go back to sucking liberal dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Maneck posted:

So, stick with me here, his comments about a political scandal should be anodyne and non-controversial (and irrelevant).

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The NDP positions (plural!) on mortgages are so loving retarded I really do find it hard to believe. Are they concerned Jagmeet won't win his Burnaby riding unless they juice the retarded pro housing market vote or something?

I bought a house last April and I'm still kinda overwhelmed by it.. and I'm on the path to pay it off in 15 years... THIRTY loving YEARS? ARE YOU loving CRAZY?

This has actually left me more stunned than Ontario provincial politics. Like I knew Singh wasn't an idea man, but what the gently caress?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are no comments he could have made that wouldn’t have had political implications. He also can’t choose to not comment.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

He should have probably avoided demonstrably testable claims like calling the article defamatory, but it's not shocking an Ottawa hack would do his best to carry water for his boss, the dumb part is where the Liberals claim this will somehow exonerate them and outweigh the smoke signal from two senior resignations in a week.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There are no comments he could have made that wouldn’t have had political implications. He also can’t choose to not comment.

DynamicSloth posted:

He should have probably avoided demonstrably testable claims like calling the article defamatory, but it's not shocking an Ottawa hack would do his best to carry water for his boss, the dumb part is where the Liberals claim this will somehow exonerate them and outweigh the smoke signal from two senior resignations in a week.

He was loving called to the committee by the liberals to say they did nothing wrong. It's hilariously biased.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The idea on housing has the smell of "ok but what's actually within federal jurisdiction to do", and then backporting a policy proposal from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Math You posted:

The NDP positions (plural!) on mortgages are so loving retarded I really do find it hard to believe. Are they concerned Jagmeet won't win his Burnaby riding unless they juice the retarded pro housing market vote or something?

This was my impression. Federal NDP policy is being set on the back of his Burnaby riding election. It’s gross.